PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Compete

'Lil Dynamo
12-09-2009, 03:40 PM
When traveling to a competition out of your state, do you find FLYING changes your "look"? I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that some of you have noticed water retention or other changes in your appearance. What are some of your experiences?

Stacy Wright
12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
I know Kayde talked about some of this with her trip to Italy. Hopefully she'll chime in and help you out some

shena
12-09-2009, 05:34 PM
This was my first year flying for competition but I already knew from experience that my body will very easily retain water while traveling (or any other time for that matter). The biggest thing for me is to keep drinking water. I usually empty my water bottle once I get to the airport and refill it at a water fountain once I'm through the security checkpoint. I also try to fly as early as possible to allow my body time to settle once I'm there.

Gin
12-09-2009, 11:50 PM
T The biggest thing for me is to keep drinking water.

This! I don't deplete water anymore anyway so I hydrate, hydrate, hydrate on flights. It's helped a lot. I also try to get up and move around the cabin if I can to prevent swelling. Once I get to my destination I get my feet up and keep the water going.

Lynx
12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I usually don't notice too much. I also drink LOTS of water and when I get to the hotel I put my legs up on a stack of pillows.

Suzanne
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I find i may hold a little other times i looked itghter after flight - go figure

but after i fly i will do short session of covered cardio on treadmill just to sweat that extra off

In2Fitness
12-10-2009, 05:24 PM
I've had to fly to get to all of my competitions so I guess I can't really say whether or not flying changed my "look", obviously I have nothing to compare it to....BUT like others have reported, I stay hydrated on the plane and haven't had any problems with retaining water.

When traveling to a competition out of your state, do you find FLYING changes your "look"? I think I remember reading somewhere on this site that some of you have noticed water retention or other changes in your appearance. What are some of your experiences?

DANISH DYNAMITE
12-10-2009, 05:43 PM
I used to fly up to 16hours when I was competing in the States. I felt that a long flight like that didn't suit my body very well. Whatever shape I've been in I felt that the flying enhanced it. So if I was a little watery I got more watery. If I was dehydrated I dehydrated more. Kinda weird.

tkokayde
12-11-2009, 04:15 AM
Flying to Italy for a show was definitely not good for my body. I looked great when I stepped on the plane! Lol!

STAY HYDRATED! Linda Wood-Hoyte (the IFBB judge and the coach for Team USA) stressed this over and over to us in the weeks leading up to leaving for Worlds. She has had athletes that didn't listen and they were a balloon by the time they stepped onstage in Europe. You have to remember though that I'm talking 20 hours of travel time. If we're talking an hour or two of flying, don't worry too much about it. Just be prepared, don't eat any food in the airport or on the plane that you didn't prepare yourself, and don't stress!

'Lil Dynamo
12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Flying to Italy for a show was definitely not good for my body. I looked great when I stepped on the plane! Lol!

STAY HYDRATED! Linda Wood-Hoyte (the IFBB judge and the coach for Team USA) stressed this over and over to us in the weeks leading up to leaving for Worlds. She has had athletes that didn't listen and they were a balloon by the time they stepped onstage in Europe. You have to remember though that I'm talking 20 hours of travel time. If we're talking an hour or two of flying, don't worry too much about it. Just be prepared, don't eat any food in the airport or on the plane that you didn't prepare yourself, and don't stress!

Thanks Kayde! I def WONT be flying for 20 hrs! Although it would be freakin' awesome to earn a spot at Worlds......ahhhhh in my dreams:p:p:p:p:p:p