PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Shelley Beattie

Siouxcountry
02-16-2008, 08:09 PM
This is horrible. :(

It is with the heaviest heart I've ever lifted that I have to confirm Ron's report. Shelley Beattie passed away Wednesday, February 13.

That's all I can tell you now. I've been in contact with people close to her and the family has asked that I hold off making any further statement. I'll have details for you shortly.

In the mean time, My prayers go out to her family and those close to her. The bodybuilding world has lost one of it's all-time greatest champions.

Rest in peace, Shelley Beattie, Your tattoo is still on my heart......- John Romano

LINK (http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?p=548600#post548600)

Shelly
02-16-2008, 08:18 PM
our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Siouxcountry
02-16-2008, 08:55 PM
For those that don't know Shelley was "Siren" on the original American Gladiators.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/coconutsandapples/NEW/054dec92.jpg

Siouxcountry
02-16-2008, 09:10 PM
LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwXUKnT0vUM)

FwXUKnT0vUM

IslandGirl
02-16-2008, 09:42 PM
This is tragic! My prayers go out to her family and friends.

cray17
02-16-2008, 11:31 PM
This is sad news. I posted this on the Gladiator boards, and it drove me to tears. May she rest in peace. :(

Quadrablue
02-17-2008, 02:14 AM
What?!!!! How?!!!!!

Now I'm even more pissed that they used her Gladiator name for someone else. No disrespect to Val but come on! No one could ever replace Shelley. They should retire that name. I am very saddened by this news. We have just lost an icon of the fbbing world.

Siouxcountry
02-17-2008, 03:12 AM
John Romano:

LINK (http://forums.musculardevelopment.com/showthread.php?t=23554)

As you can well imagine Shelley’s family is devastated by her passing. They have requested that they be left to morn this deep personal tragedy in peace. They want you to know that in recent months Shelley had fallen gravely ill. She fought like the champion she was until she could fight no more, and passed away quietly last week.

I will always remember Shelley as a magnificent human being with an innocent childlike quality that everyone loved. She made a difference to everyone she touched and motivated so many people who were challenged. As “Siren” on the American Gladiators, Shelly showed thousands of challenged kids and adults that it is okay to be different. She always said, “the only thing I can’t do is hear.” And she was right.

I’ll never forget her streaking across the ceiling of Gladiator Arena upside down on “Sky Track” during the taping of Gladiators. She set the record in that event that and it was never broken. Or, as a grinder in the sailing yacht America Cubed racing for the Americas Cup. The first time I took her rock climbing she flashed a 5.7 pitch with her shoe laces untied. No one could believe it. One of our climbing buddies was also a world-class Olympic kayaker training for the Olympic team. He thought Shelley might like to try her hand at Olympic kayaking. We met up at the training dock in Marina del Rey one afternoon and Shelley got into his kayak that was pulled up along the dock. She pushed off and started paddling rather briskly down the channel. I looked over at our climbing buddy/Olympic kayaker and his eyes were transfixed in disbelief. In 20 years he had never seen anyone do that. When I got into the next boat I found out why – they are insanely unstable! I fell over 50 times and gave up while Shelley did speed laps up and down the channel keeping right up our friend. We got a call from the Olympic training center the next day asking to see her.

But, as a bodybuilder, Shelley really shined. I think Shelley embodied the last of the Corey era. Her physique was ranked 3rd in the world. And her thumping hip-hop routine got her a standing ovation at the 93 Olympia. I’ll never forget Lenda Murray telling me after she won in 93 that when she saw Shelley out of her sweat suit for the first time back stage she said, “oh no, Shelley is on!” She was too. What a sight to see Shelley, Lenda and Laura Creval being compared on stage. I’ve never been so proud.

We are putting together a tribute to Shelley for the next issue of MD to remember this amazing woman. Let’s never forget Shelley “Siren” Beattie. Keep her memory alive.

In respecting the family’s privacy, please send your condolence in the form of a donation in Shelley’s name to Gallaudet University, 800 Florida Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002.

I’ll have a copy of her obituary to post here soon, along with some thoughts of my own. Right now I’m working on pushing this grapefruit down my throat…..

gymdiva
02-17-2008, 04:24 AM
:(

dallas3
02-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Condolences to her and her family. She was a role model and a pioneer that will be missed. If anything heaven got another angel:awesome:

Siouxcountry
02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Shelley won the overall at the 1990 Emerald Cup...

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvBpsaHs01Q)

XvBpsaHs01Q

SBT
02-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Geeez that is sad :(

ripitupbaby
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Very sad, RIP. :(

Siouxcountry
02-18-2008, 10:56 PM
A poster at Unrealmuscle posted these beautiful images of Shelley.

254 255 256

Femphysiquefan
02-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I can't believe this has happened. What a sad day for female bodybuilding. Rest in peace, Shelley, and thanks for all the years and all the shows. You were PERFECT.

A whole gallery of Shelley Beattie in her prime can be seen at this address from Twixpix.com:

http://www.twixpix.com/WB/023/WayBack-G23.html

I encourage everyone to stop by and see this wonderful athlete gracing the stage with one of the best physiques EVER in FBB.

Siouxcountry
02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
According to Hans this video is of Shelley at the 1991 Ms Olympia.

x2ev9j&v3=1

Siouxcountry
02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
A beautiful tribute to an amazing woman.

LINK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5AoeSlAd0s&NR=1)

b5AoeSlAd0s&NR=1

Her obituary can be found HERE (http://online.statesmanjournal.com/obituaries/obituary.cfm?i=37087).

Femphysiquefan
03-11-2008, 04:18 AM
There is some more news concerning the passing of Shelley Beattie. According to this article posted today, she had been battling with bipolar disorder for some time, and apparently the disorder won. Due to this terrible mental disease, Shelley committed suicide around a month ago. This is indeed a great tragedy for competitors and fans of FBB alike. R.I.P, Shelley, and thank you for EVERYTHING. May God in Heaven grant you the peace of mind and soul in your eternal sleep that you could not find in life.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

From the Statesman Journal in Salem, Oregon:

Farewell to one who beat so many obstacles

Capi Lynn
March 10, 2008

Shelley Beattie was an inspiration to the deaf community, overcoming her disability to become a professional bodybuilder, a television personality and a competitive sailor.

"The only thing I can't do is hear," she used to say.

Beattie could speak clearly, despite losing her hearing as a child after an accidental overdose of aspirin.

Last month she discovered one other thing she couldn't do: live with bipolar disorder. While under a doctor's care during a six-week stay at a psychiatric hospital, she took her own life.

It was a tragic ending for a young woman, just 39, who had achieved so much.

"If it can defeat a strong person like her," said her father, Jack Beattie of Keizer, "it can defeat almost anybody."

People with bipolar disorder, also known as manic depression, tend to experience extreme mood swings or episodes.

Beattie once described it to her life partner, Julie Moisa, as waking up in the morning and feeling better than she had her whole life, only to be consumed by feelings of rage and darkness within just a few hours.

An estimated 5.7 million adults in the U.S. have bipolar disorder, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. As many as 50 percent who suffer from the illness attempt suicide, and as many as 20 percent succeed.

Beattie was diagnosed about 10 years ago, according to her mother, Laura Mitchell of Sublimity. That was about the time Beattie returned to Oregon, leaving her "Hollywood" career behind.

She eventually settled in the Salem area and met Moisa about four years ago, through a mutual friend. They lived together on a farm east of town, a place where Beattie was able to find some peace despite her illness.

She loved her animals, raising turkeys and chickens and bottle-feeding baby calves. She loved her artwork, creating many Native American-style pieces. Though not of Indian heritage, she connected to the Lakota lifestyle and had a passion for playing drums she made with her own hands.

That life was much different than her celebrity life, in a good way.

Some people might know Beattie the bodybuilder. She was the 1990 U.S. champion and placed third in the 1992 Ms. Olympia competition.

I was a sportswriter back then, and just about everyone on our staff was assigned to do a story on her at one time or another. She was a local girl who had made the big-time, according to bodybuilding standards, and graced several magazine covers.

Beattie grew up in Monmouth-Independence and graduated from Central High School in 1985. She enrolled at what was then Western Oregon State College, studying special education and psychology.

More people might know Beattie as Siren on the original "American Gladiators" TV series. She appeared on the show, which matched the gladiators against amateur athletes in contests of strength and agility, from 1992 to 1996.

"When I first met her, I didn't know what a gladiator was," Moisa said. "I had no idea about the magazine covers."

Beattie was never one to boast about her accomplishments, but there was one that she held dear.

She was chosen to be on the history-making all-female America's Cup sailing team, which raced against all-male crews in 1995 and beat some.

"That's what she was most proud of," her mom said.

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/a...803100332/1064

b5AoeSlAd0s

ibarramedia
03-11-2008, 04:45 AM
I don't kow what to say.... I'm sorry it was a struggle for her. My she rest in peace.....

ibarramedia
02-19-2009, 12:34 AM
I can't believe it is over a year already......

jewelofnile69
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
This makes me so sad. I absolutely loved the original American Gladiators and loved Shelley. If it really was Bipolar Disorder, that even makes me sader. I was engaged to a man with that disorder and it is one of the harder things to deal with in life.

cslim
02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Oh she was an amazing, inspirational woman! this truly is sad.