PDA

View Full Version : Post-Competition Experiences?

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Ladies,

I'm curious. What are some of the things y'all do the week after competition. It's going to be one week post comp for me and I am dragging. I went yesterday for a light leg workout at the gym, but it was for my mental sake...my body wasn't cooperating. I've been extremely busy at work too and worked late two nights this week.

Do you guys have a burst of energy and want to do all the things you couldn't do precontest, or do you lay around like a fat cat?

SunlovinCO
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Ladies,

I'm curious. What are some of the things y'all do the week after competition. It's going to be one week post comp for me and I am dragging. I went yesterday for a light leg workout at the gym, but it was for my mental sake...my body wasn't cooperating. I've been extremely busy at work too and worked late two nights this week.

Do you guys have a burst of energy and want to do all the things you couldn't do precontest, or do you lay around like a fat cat?

Well, I have only done one show and I think I did all the "DONT'S" after my show...
-I ate everything I could find and felt like a huge whale
-I did not go to the gym, AT ALL.
-I slept in every morning and then just came home from work and watched TV from the Couch!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*I am interested to see what everyone else typically does and what the major DO'S and DON'TS are.....

bree marsh
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
the week after a show is probably the best time to get into the gym and hit it HARD, because your body has HOPEFULLY been resting a bit from training the week before the show, but it is depleted a bit, so it will soak up all the nutrients you give it and use them for the gains you will be making in the gym!!! that's my theory!!! after my first few shows, i definitely slacked for about 2-3 weeks after, but now, i get right back into it the next week...i use the extra cals from my post-show meals to train HARD!

Betsy
05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Good Question Jen..

Honestly.. the week after im DONE competing.. I get anxious.. and a feeling of
"oh no what do i do now?"..like my purpose in life is gone or something.. LOL I try to take off some time from the gym and just be lax on eating.. but Usually I stay on track for as long as I can.. eating pretty healthy and still going to the gym.. its rough.. but you will find your groove!!

Betsy
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
the week after a show is probably the best time to get into the gym and hit it HARD, because your body has HOPEFULLY been resting a bit from training the week before the show, but it is depleted a bit, so it will soak up all the nutrients you give it and use them for the gains you will be making in the gym!!! that's my theory!!! after my first few shows, i definitely slacked for about 2-3 weeks after, but now, i get right back into it the next week...i use the extra cals from my post-show meals to train HARD!

EXACTLY... its your "rebound" time when your body will eat up everything you put into it.. and you can make some pretty great gains!!:)

SunlovinCO
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM

I have also heard the week after your show is when you are most likely for injury... what do you think?

but, I do like your thinking about making big gains that week! I haven't decided exactly what to do yet for this time around...

bree marsh
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
what type of injuries??? i think if you do extreme diet tricks during the final week of prep, then yes, you may be at an increased risk for injuries the following week, but i don't do all that crazy stuff!

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 01:37 PM
THANKS LADIES! No wonder I like it here so much. You guys are truly awesome.

I'm planning to get back into the gym tomorrow. I've definitely been in gloomville and it's not me. I like to have goals and be marching towards nothing, and after competition it's like "okay now what".

It's also that I personally put so many things on hold to compete and then I look around and I see so many things that need my attention that I'm like where do I start, and where do I get the energy!

Let's see by Monday how it goes! I plan to get started again tomorrow! ;)

Thank you all. :kiss:

Shelly
05-02-2008, 01:54 PM
hi babes!

after my third show last year... i hopped RIGHT back into the gym... sometimes i SWEAR you are most tired b/ you ARENT in the gym. No need to go crazy but i still woke up for Am cardio...and liofted at night... it kept me feeling healthy and SANE!

Plus like Bree said you habe potential to make siiiick gains in the first two weeks after your shows due to the "rebound:...

hope ths helps:)

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 01:56 PM
hi babes!

after my third show last year... i hopped RIGHT back into the gym... sometimes i SWEAR you are most tired b/ you ARENT in the gym. No need to go crazy but i still woke up for Am cardio...and liofted at night... it kept me feeling healthy and SANE!

Plus like Bree said you habe potential to make siiiick gains in the first two weeks after your shows due to the "rebound:...

hope ths helps:)

Thank you doll! I'm gettin' back in there for sure! Gettin' back into my groove!;)

dvsness
05-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't go to the gym for 2-4 weeks post-comp. You have been dragging yourself through hell for a matter of months and your CNS needs rest. The best gains theory is noted because you were depleted - your rebound weight plus eating properly again looks a whole lot like super duper gains.

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't go to the gym for 2-4 weeks post-comp. You have been dragging yourself through hell for a matter of months and your CNS needs rest. The best gains theory is noted because you were depleted - your rebound weight plus eating properly again looks a whole lot like super duper gains.

WOW V - really - 2-4 weeks...interesting. I agree with you -- you put yourself through the utmost and then you need proper recovery. It's a mental battle and definitely a learning process. Thanks girl. :kiss:

Amber
05-02-2008, 03:43 PM
The first time i had rebound from hell, i had no idea what was happening to me why i couldnt breath i was so bloated, (maybe had something to do with the pound of see's candy i ate in one day)

But the second time around, working with Tracy and Cameron i did fine actually.. I was okay, only gained like 5 pounds the first time it was like 15 in 2 days! I got back on it on Monday, and it felt good. After this show i have here in a week im going to continue to train, just not doing 2x a day cardio should be good mentally and physically for me enough to rip it up in the gym. So we'll see how it goes.

SBT
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM

I second this!!! After your show your hunger is usually up and your insulin sensitivity is usually sky high as well plus your bodies ability to store water is obviously sky high as well, ALL of these create an environment for high levels of anabolism. :)

Needless to say, after my show I was right back in the gym the following week.

SBT
05-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I have also heard the week after your show is when you are most likely for injury... what do you think?

but, I do like your thinking about making big gains that week! I haven't decided exactly what to do yet for this time around...

Yeah I would also think you would be less likely to get an injury because as stated before you WILL gain at least a couple lbs of water, but that would keep your joints lubricated and provide leverage for training?!?! :confused:

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
The first time i had rebound from hell, i had no idea what was happening to me why i couldnt breath i was so bloated, (maybe had something to do with the pound of see's candy i ate in one day)

But the second time around, working with Tracy and Cameron i did fine actually.. I was okay, only gained like 5 pounds the first time it was like 15 in 2 days! I got back on it on Monday, and it felt good. After this show i have here in a week im going to continue to train, just not doing 2x a day cardio should be good mentally and physically for me enough to rip it up in the gym. So we'll see how it goes.

Hi Amber!

Sounds like a good plan and let me know how it goes for you. I wish you the best post comp! I will do the same and keep you gals updated. :)

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I second this!!! After your show your hunger is usually up and your insulin sensitivity is usually sky high as well plus your bodies ability to store water is obviously sky high as well, ALL of these create an environment for high levels of anabolism. :)

Needless to say, after my show I was right back in the gym the following week.

Ayyyyshhh so true Shannon. I've gained about 5 lbs so far and I'm sure its a lot of water weight. I DOES NOT HELP that this week my office has gone on a rampage with catered food. Monday, breakfast buffet on large scale, Tuesday Birthday Cakes for everyone whose birthday was this month and yesterday a huge luncheon of CUBAN FOOD nonetheless.... it was delicious and carb-laden. I already knew what would happen so I did not go crazy, but all your heard throughout was grunts and moans from people feeling lethargic from all that food. I was thinking "well thank god all this wasn't pre-contest".

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
It's such a mental trip when you are done competing and then you sit there wondering what's next. It is a definite + to keep training, though you can modify the rythme this time a few notches down. I like taking a couple of days off for full rest, then start with cardio usually by Wed. and lifting again by the weekend. Just a short break, but still keeping a close schedule with the sleep and diet. The good thing is that if you want that slice of pizza or a cookie or 2 or some ice cream or peanut butter, you can in moderation and still have a balance, happy medium.

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Ayyyyshhh so true Shannon. I've gained about 5 lbs so far and I'm sure its a lot of water weight. I DOES NOT HELP that this week my office has gone on a rampage with catered food. Monday, breakfast buffet on large scale, Tuesday Birthday Cakes for everyone whose birthday was this month and yesterday a huge luncheon of CUBAN FOOD nonetheless.... it was delicious and carb-laden. I already knew what would happen so I did not go crazy, but all your heard throughout was grunts and moans from people feeling lethargic from all that food. I was thinking "well thank god all this wasn't pre-contest".

LOL - but remember chica, you can still say NO THANKS and wait another time to make something healthier, yet tastey at home. We kinda forget that and left ourselves get sucked into that trap.

SBT
05-02-2008, 04:14 PM
LOL - but remember chica, you can still say NO THANKS and wait another time to make something healthier, yet tastey at home. We kinda forget that and left ourselves get sucked into that trap.

I fall into THIS TRAP all the time :nuts:

Actually i like to cook so much (and consider myself pretty good at it) then even when I do eat out most of the time my brain says how to make it healthier or I don't even enjoy it because I know I can make better :p

Hannibal
05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Actually i like to cook so much (and consider myself pretty good at it) then even when I do eat out most of the time my brain says how to make it healthier or I don't even enjoy it because I know I can make better :p

:eat::yourock::eat::yourock::eat:

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I fall into THIS TRAP all the time :nuts:

I think we all do one time or another and it sucks. But, if we can do it when we're prepping for a show, we can do it when we're done, even entering off-season. I also need to practice what I preach cause I get sucked in many times, but I know too, I can find better alternatives or minimize how much stuff I'll eat that's in front of me. Plus, when we eat that way, we feel tired and sluggish and that sucks too. I hate feeling that way. I get lazy and then starts the process of blowing off cardio and training.

SBT
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I think we all do one time or another and it sucks. But, if we can do it when we're prepping for a show, we can do it when we're done, even entering off-season. I also need to practice what I preach cause I get sucked in many times, but I know too, I can find better alternatives or minimize how much stuff I'll eat that's in front of me. Plus, when we eat that way, we feel tired and sluggish and that sucks too. I hate feeling that way. I get lazy and then starts the process of blowing off cardio and training.

Well if you EVER need any recipe ideas then feel free to ask, trust me I think I have tried about a TON of things just because I am always looking for a healthy alternative to EVERYTHING!! :)

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
It's such a mental trip when you are done competing and then you sit there wondering what's next. It is a definite + to keep training, though you can modify the rythme this time a few notches down. I like taking a couple of days off for full rest, then start with cardio usually by Wed. and lifting again by the weekend. Just a short break, but still keeping a close schedule with the sleep and diet. The good thing is that if you want that slice of pizza or a cookie or 2 or some ice cream or peanut butter, you can in moderation and still have a balance, happy medium.

I went back on Wednesday for a light leg workout and I felt so weird...like I had just gotten out of the hospital. LOL I think I have just fallen into the trap where the gym is so entrenched in my life and in my routine that if I'm not there I feel misplaced. A break was needed, plus there are so many other things that need my attention right now.

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Well if you EVER need any recipe ideas then feel free to ask, trust me I think I have tried about a TON of things just because I am always looking for a healthy alternative to EVERYTHING!! :)

Oh, I will girl. Need to create a ebook on your recipes!

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

That's awesome that you enjoy making healthy dishes at home Shannon...nice to keep a variety going! ;)

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Yeap and that's not good AT ALL. It's pointless to work so hard and then blow it doing all the wrong things.

Amber
05-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi Amber!

Sounds like a good plan and let me know how it goes for you. I wish you the best post comp! I will do the same and keep you gals updated. :)

hey babes! thanks ill keep you updated. But, yea thats funny right? its like what do i do with myself after?? LOL we are like hamsters! hehe :D

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 04:38 PM
I went back on Wednesday for a light leg workout and I felt so weird...like I had just gotten out of the hospital. LOL I think I have just fallen into the trap where the gym is so entrenched in my life and in my routine that if I'm not there I feel misplaced. A break was needed, plus there are so many other things that need my attention right now.

Take a little extra time to enjoy your life with family and friends. Plus, you can stay active in other ways. Try rock climbing, biking, roller blading or walk a park path. I know, it's like you need a break from the "gym" atmosphere. Hopefully, after this weekend, the weather will be a lot nicer and you can do some stuff outdoors. :kiss:

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:40 PM
hey babes! thanks ill keep you updated. But, yea thats funny right? its like what do i do with myself after?? LOL we are like hamsters! hehe :D

HAHAHA HAMSTERS??!!! You crack me up! LOL

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Take a little extra time to enjoy your life with family and friends. Plus, you can stay active in other ways. Try rock climbing, biking, roller blading or walk a park path. I know, it's like you need a break from the "gym" atmosphere. Hopefully, after this weekend, the weather will be a lot nicer and you can do some stuff outdoors. :kiss:

This is the time of the year when everybody wants to submit to gluttony. We actually have a bbq on Sunday. First bbq of the year!

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
This is the time of the year when everybody wants to submit to gluttony. We actually have a bbq on Sunday. First bbq of the year!

Thanks for all the advice Mel - I really appreciate that very much!

:kiss:

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for all the advice Mel - I really appreciate that very much!

:kiss:

Same here mama! :kiss: You hanging out with us tomorrow or will we have to wait to see you May 10th.

JenFerFigure
05-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Same here mama! :kiss: You hanging out with us tomorrow or will we have to wait to see you May 10th.

I would love to tomorrow, but I can't. I have not been to my church in three weeks and I MUST go tomorrow...there is an event I have to attend. I'll be there on May 10th though and I look forward to seeing you! Maybe we can grab a bite then?

fitmomma3
05-02-2008, 06:22 PM
My experiences... the only time I have ever gone right back into the gym is if I did back to back comps...but if you are going into an offseason I say take a break (Like 7-10 days off)...yes POUND FOOD especially carbs and protein as your body will suck it up and need and love all the calories and nutrients after being depleted... but lifting wise I would think your body needs a break and mentally I think its good too. You almost have to force yourself into the transition just like when forcing yourself INTO offseason.

You can make great gains when getting back in because of more energy and calories, but remember your bodyfat is low (even for figure though its not as low a BB) and this is when risk of injury due to less lubrications on the joints is higher.

Take a week or so get a good offseason nutrition plan set, a good offseason workout plan set, enjoy some much needed REST and get ready to GROW.
When I go back I do not go back to my typical higher volume training either I like to go back to three or four days MAX... HEAVIER/low volume, but that really all depends on your goals and body type. If you feel okay to go right back in and start hitting it hard I would say at least 6 weeks in then schedule a BREAK week, and ease yourself into an offseason plan that way...

Some even recommend taking the down time to do a cleanse which I have never done but am DEF incorporating this next offseason.

SBT
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Oh, I will girl. Need to create a ebook on your recipes!

Hmmm you have a VERY good idea there!! :D

NYCStrongFox
05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Hmmm you have a VERY good idea there!! :D

You should. Look into it. You create everything - it's all yours. No middle man, all proceeds go to you! Great way to make $ to pay for your competitions. Create a paypal account.

SBT
05-03-2008, 01:01 AM
You should. Look into it. You create everything - it's all yours. No middle man, all proceeds go to you! Great way to make $ to pay for your competitions. Create a paypal account.

I've already got one of those accounts :)

And I had been wanting to put a recipe book together for quite some time since right now I just have them all scribbled down in a little notepad in my kitchen so THANKS for that idea, guess I need to look into that!

NYCStrongFox
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I've already got one of those accounts :)

And I had been wanting to put a recipe book together for quite some time since right now I just have them all scribbled down in a little notepad in my kitchen so THANKS for that idea, guess I need to look into that!

Yeah, why not. I think it would do very well and what a better way to make a little extra $! Need to get a catchy title now!