PDA

View Full Version : When will they add pro cards to the Arnold Amateur?

Siouxcountry
02-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Around 400 competitors will be competing in Columbus in early March at the 2010 Arnold Amateur IFBB International Championships.

The overall winners will not be awarded a pro card, but hopefully they will go on to win a pro card at a pro qualifier or be granted a pro card via the IFBB Pro League.

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Is the amateur a national qualifier?

dvsness
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Is the amateur a national qualifier?

I believe you have to apply and be approved to compete in the Amateur. Most competitors are already nationally qualified.

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I believe you have to apply and be approved to compete in the Amateur. Most competitors are already nationally qualified.

Ah ok, didnt know that...good to know! Well than it should be a PRO qualifier...really weird...

FemFlex
02-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Damn, I've been around a long time. Here's something I said back in May 2005:

"International open competitions would really take the sport to the next level, in my opinion."

I love it when the federation listens to the fans. :)

TameMe
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Last year I noticed the majority of international (except the Canadan) girls did not place that well. Their look is alot more muscle than the NPC likes.
Problems with cards at that show is the international girls are there.... aren't most pro qualifying shows not open to the international girls..... that might mess things up. Not sure?

ibarramedia
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Last year I noticed the majority of international (except the Canadan) girls did not place that well. Their look is alot more muscle than the NPC likes.
Problems with cards at that show is the international girls are there.... aren't most pro qualifying shows not open to the international girls..... that might mess things up. Not sure?

If you are speaking of figure competitors, that may be true due to some fundamental differences between 'FIGURE' and 'PHYSIQUE'. If I understand it correctly Europe sends it's Physique athletes to compete in the figure competions here. Perhaps AnneP could chime in and give more accurate information.

Mats E.
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
If you are speaking of figure competitors, that may be true due to some fundamental differences between 'FIGURE' and 'PHYSIQUE'. If I understand it correctly Europe sends it's Physique athletes to compete in the figure competions here. Perhaps AnneP could chime in and give more accurate information.

Not correct.

The athletes sent from Europe compete in something called "Body Fitness" wich is the same as in Figure in US. "Body Fitness" is IFBB's amateur division for Figure.

But there are today in Europe a lot of girls with much more muscle mass then being rewarded in the NPC. And that is the reason why many European girls dont succeed in US.

But still there are some examples that do well in both Europe and US. For example my wife (Linda Fodor), finishing 2nd in the World Championships in "Body Fitness", and then winning Arnold Amateur in NPC Figure. But with one difference, Linda was one of the smallest girls in Europe and one of the biggest in her class competing at Arnold.

AnneP
02-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I wish never. NPC is already giving way too many pro cards in figure and unfortunatelly that can be seen on pro stages (structure disasters with fucked proportions SHOULD not been found on PRO stages). Better keep it that way like it is. European contries and other out-of-us-ifbb-countries give their own cards and npc their own.

What it comes to Europeans. Yes, unfortuntally our ATHLETES did not do well last year. Well some did not look that good but for example , best figure girl during whole last year, russian Yulia Zabelina, was left behind +20kilos over weight girls in results. Like Mats said, we have body fitness and we send our body fitness girls to npc figure ( most of the contries do not even have this physique class) And when our body fitness girls turn pro, they compete in pro figure league so in other words body fitness is kinda same as figure.

Femphysiquefan
02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Call me naive, but I've thought for a while now that this show has the potential to become one of the best if not THE best amateur show in the world. Two things I think are holding it back from being what it could be. First is the issue about figure physiques and the "look." I agree with what Mat said about European physiques. Last time I saw the Arnold Amateur I was amazed at the muscularity of the European figure girls. Compared with the American girls, these women looked like linebackers. Thing of beauty for bodybuilding, but the kiss of death in American figure. Until the NPC and the IFBB amateur league come up with a universally accepted "look" when it comes to figure, then most European figure competitors at the AA will continue to do badly in the placings due to their increased muscle mass. Second, I think the lack of pro cards across the board at the AA is one of the reasons why it seems that several American competitors don't compete at this show. When I mentioned on the MD forum that the IFBB had joined forces with the NPC at the AA, the first thing that the American competitors wanted to know was if there were any pro cards being handed out as a result. If the federations would take these two steps, then IMHO they might as well rename this show the Amateur Olympia. Until they do, this show won't be all that it really could be.

claus
02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Call me naive, but I've thought for a while now that this show has the potential to become one of the best if not THE best amateur show in the world. Two things I think are holding it back from being what it could be. First is the issue about figure physiques and the "look." I agree with what Mat said about European physiques. Last time I saw the Arnold Amateur I was amazed at the muscularity of the European figure girls. Compared with the American girls, these women looked like linebackers. Thing of beauty for bodybuilding, but the kiss of death in American figure. Until the NPC and the IFBB amateur league come up with a universally accepted "look" when it comes to figure, then most European figure competitors at the AA will continue to do badly in the placings due to their increased muscle mass. Second, I think the lack of pro cards across the board at the AA is one of the reasons why it seems that several American competitors don't compete at this show. When I mentioned on the MD forum that the IFBB had joined forces with the NPC at the AA, the first thing that the American competitors wanted to know was if there were any pro cards being handed out as a result. If the federations would take these two steps, then IMHO they might as well rename this show the Amateur Olympia. Until they do, this show won't be all that it really could be.

Go to the IFBB World Championships and you will see big differences - much more international, higher level and drug tested. Less silicon and more beauty.

Internationally many athletes are qualified for pro cards, but they prefer to compete as amateurs. womens bodybuilding and fitness pro classes are not really good to earn money - for foreigners its very expensive and long trips to america are not good for the shape.

Shelly
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
As great of a show this is, i have to agree that i dont think they should ever give our pro cards here. theres enough given out all year. we dont need any more.

ATilly
02-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I agree with you Anne, too many here.

NYCStrongFox
02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Don't think that would happen any time soon. Enough pro cards are already given out like candy.

Mats E.
02-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Really strange. The last post in this thread appears on top of "New Posts" all the time, even though it was sent on the 4th of Feb.

ibarramedia
02-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Really strange. The last post in this thread appears on top of "New Posts" all the time, even though it was sent on the 4th of Feb.

That is because of the 'Poll' function. It means someone has voted recently.

Mats E.
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
That is because of the 'Poll' function. It means someone has voted recently.

Ah, then I understand. Have not seen that on forums before. thanks for the explanation.

Suzanne
02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
This show isn't even a nationals qualifier not do i think they require that you have qualified to do a national level or have ever even competed so no reason to give pro cards here

TameMe
02-28-2010, 11:20 PM
This show isn't even a nationals qualifier not do i think they require that you have qualified to do a national level or have ever even competed so no reason to give pro cards here

I agree there should not be cards here, enough already given out. But this show I believe is a national qualifier (which I used it for last year) and you must have already competed and placed top 5 at a another show so it's kinda odd in that it qualifies the competitor to go on to national shows but they still can't use it as their first show.

Alli
03-01-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree there should not be cards here, enough already given out. But this show I believe is a national qualifier (which I used it for last year) and you must have already competed and placed top 5 at a another show so it's kinda odd in that it qualifies the competitor to go on to national shows but they still can't use it as their first show.

It's a national qualifier? Most of the girls who compete in it are already nationally qualified so that seems to be confusing..... you have to apply and be accepted to do the Arnold Amateur.....and most girls who do are already qualified for nationals. So it seems odd to me to make it national qualifier. If so who qualifies? The winner of every class? Top 2 in every class? How does that work?