PDA

View Full Version : Where Are All The Pro Fitness Competitors?

Iron Sirens
02-11-2010, 02:05 AM
Adela Garcia & Camala Rodriguez were in Pittsburgh on Monday & my father, a/k/a The Prez, stopped by. He got into a discussion with us about the lack of IFBB Fitness competitors in the Phoenix Pro. He stated to Adela specifically, since she's the new IFBB Pro Fitness Rep, that the fitness competitors want more pro qualifiers in the NPC yet when it comes time for actual contests the numbers are getting smaller & smaller both in the NPC & in the number of competitors that enter IFBB Pro Fitness contests.

I see Nita Marquez on the poster but she's not even entered. The deadline is Monday. Wouldn't you know if you were entering by now or not? There is choreography & suits to be done. Nobody's going to be able to put that together in a few days. Very disappointing. The Prez also stated the promoter is disappointed & if he does promote this event again in 2011 he's seriously considering not including Fitness. So what is the deal? Anybody know? I'm not talking about speculation, I'm talking about facts as to why nobody but Camala is officially entered.

Siouxcountry
02-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Good question.

Arizona fitness pro LeslieRae Newton would have loved to compete, but she was seriously injured at the 2009 IFBB Ft Lauderdale Cup.

tkokayde
02-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I am glad that you posted on this J.M. I was really disappointed and frustrated when I saw the Fitness list. It's hard to watch Fitness falter like this, especially as a new Pro who wants to have a long career in the IFBB.

I will speak for myself as I cannot speculate for others. I wanted to do this show and was really considering it. Given the timing, there was no way it could work for me. With the long, exhausting season I had last year, my body needed any extra rest I could give it. After speaking with my coach about my plan for 2010, I realized that I could not bring my best package to stage at the Arnold if I did the Phoenix Pro 2 weeks before. And as much as I would love to get some support behind the show and jump in now and compete, the finances of doing a show last minute won't really allow for it. (My husband and I actually did discuss it and looked at my options.)

I do hope that some other girls voice their reasons as well, honestly and openly. There has to be a solution to this. I know that girls say all the time that Fitness needs more shows, and I know that the fans enjoy watching us perform. I'm eager to see how this shapes out.

fitnita1
02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Adela Garcia & Camala Rodriguez were in Pittsburgh on Monday & my father, a/k/a The Prez, stopped by. He got into a discussion with us about the lack of IFBB Fitness competitors in the Phoenix Pro. He stated to Adela specifically, since she's the new IFBB Pro Fitness Rep, that the fitness competitors want more pro qualifiers in the NPC yet when it comes time for actual contests the numbers are getting smaller & smaller both in the NPC & in the number of competitors that enter IFBB Pro Fitness contests.

I see Nita Marquez on the poster but she's not even entered. The deadline is Monday. Wouldn't you know if you were entering by now or not? There is choreography & suits to be done. Nobody's going to be able to put that together in a few days. Very disappointing. The Prez also stated the promoter is disappointed & if he does promote this event again in 2011 he's seriously considering not including Fitness. So what is the deal? Anybody know? I'm not talking about speculation, I'm talking about facts as to why nobody but Camala is officially entered.

jm,
i just got a call from shawna... yes, i was under the impression that the entry was solidified already, but in the recent (today) realization that i wasn't, i just emailed/called theresa today... hopefully will hear back tomorrow. otherwise, is there some other number other than the npc office number (no answer today the three times i called for some reason). i was wondering why the list was so short ;S anyhow, thank you for the post and for clarifying for those others with questions about the phoenix pro show, sorry i will miss you there... maybe see ya at the arnold. hope that the fam's doin AWESOME!! how's soccer lately? shoot me an email if you wanna at my hotmail addy. ttys... thank you again, jm... xo

msfitnessO
02-11-2010, 04:18 AM
J.M thank you for posting this. I actually discussed this subject on Muscle Girls Inc. on Tuesday evening. It really bothers me to see only one competitor officially registered for this contest. Like you said, it takes more than a week to decide if you are going to compete.

I remember when the IFBB schedule came out a lot of girls where complaining about the number of fitness shows to qualify for the Olympia. But just a few girls are willing to compete at the Olympia qualifying shows. So please do not get upset if a top 3 Olympia athlete decides to jump into all the qualifying shows.

I remember when I got my pro card, I did pretty much every show to get my name out there. So, in order to keep fitness going we need to compete.

I am the new Fitness Rep and I had hear from only 2 fitness competitor. We all need to stick together if we do not want to see Fitness go away in a few years.

Here is my website: www.adelafitness.com
My email: Chicalatina99@aol.com

Please contact me with any questions.

Good luck and looking forward to meeting some of the new girls at the Arnold.

Adela Garcia

fitnita1
02-11-2010, 04:24 AM
J.M thank you for posting this. I actually discussed this subject on Muscle Girls Inc. on Tuesday evening. It really bothers me to see only one competitor officially registered for this contest. Like you said, it takes more than a week to decide if you are going to compete.

I remember when the IFBB schedule came out a lot of girls where complaining about the number of fitness shows to qualify for the Olympia. But just a few girls are willing to compete at the Olympia qualifying shows. So please do not get upset if a top 3 Olympia athlete decides to jump into all the qualifying shows.

I remember when I got my pro card, I did pretty much every show to get my name out there. So, in order to keep fitness going we need to compete.

I am the new Fitness Rep and I had hear from only 2 fitness competitor. We all need to stick together if we do not want to see Fitness go away in a few years.

Here is my website: www.adelafitness.com
My email: Chicalatina99@aol.com

Please contact me with any questions.

Good luck and looking forward to meeting some of the new girls at the Arnold.

Adela Garcia

i am suuuuuper excited to see you again girl!!! ttys! congrats on all your new opps... you're doing great and still maintaining that beautiful aura of yours, impossible for you to be anything less than an encouragement to others in our industry. xoxo's... luuuuuuuv you mami!!!!

msfitnessO
02-11-2010, 04:28 AM
i am suuuuuper excited to see you again girl!!! ttys! congrats on all your new opps... you're doing great and still maintaining that beautiful aura of yours, impossible for you to be anything less than an encouragement to others in our industry. xoxo's... luuuuuuuv you mami!!!!

Thank you mami... Can't wait to see you girl. Hope you are doing awesome and thank you for all you love and support.

See you soon beautiful..
xoxox

Iron Sirens
02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
jm,
i just got a call from shawna... yes, i was under the impression that the entry was solidified already, but in the recent (today) realization that i wasn't, i just emailed/called theresa today... hopefully will hear back tomorrow. otherwise, is there some other number other than the npc office number (no answer today the three times i called for some reason). i was wondering why the list was so short ;S anyhow, thank you for the post and for clarifying for those others with questions about the phoenix pro show, sorry i will miss you there... maybe see ya at the arnold. hope that the fam's doin AWESOME!! how's soccer lately? shoot me an email if you wanna at my hotmail addy. ttys... thank you again, jm... xo

Hi Nita, thanx for responding. Glad to hear you're doing the contest, but even then it only leaves you & Camala. What about all the other IFBB Fitness Pro's out there? I thought this was a great show to do as a pre-Arnold competition for any pro - Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure. It gives the competitor an opportunity to get up on the IFBB stage prior to the Arnold & get the last minute critical feedback from IFBB pro judge's that could make a difference at the Arnold. It's also another way to qualify for the 2010 Olympia's.

Also Nita, some parts of Pittsburgh are under 2-3 feet of snow still & there have been power outages, phone services not working correctly & all kinds of snow stories. I didn't call the NPC Office today but that might be part of the reason.

Kayde, thanx for responding as well. Glad to see you so focused on your pro debut & having seen you at pretty much all the NPC contests last year, perfectly understandable about giving your physique a rest. I wish you well at the Fitness International.

I know a lot of IFBB Pro's read this board & it looks like I pretty much got the response that Adela did - 2 answers. Hmm. Again, very disappointing to say the least. Come on ladies, if there is some reason as to why you aren't competing that could be used as constructive criticsm in the future, let's hear it.

Let me preface & say now this is just me speaking & not coming from The Prez - I would hate to see IFBB Pro Fitness start to become like IFBB Women's Pro Bodybuilding where less & less competitors enter & eventually the number of contests are less & less. I see the treand already starting this year because of the numbers in the contests last year. Fitness should be the most exciting part of any IFBB contest because of the routines. I am still a HUGE fan of the fitness routines & look forward to seeing them every time.

fitnita1
02-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Hi Nita, thanx for responding. Glad to hear you're doing the contest, but even then it only leaves you & Camala. What about all the other IFBB Fitness Pro's out there? I thought this was a great show to do as a pre-Arnold competition for any pro - Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure. It gives the competitor an opportunity to get up on the IFBB stage prior to the Arnold & get the last minute critical feedback from IFBB pro judge's that could make a difference at the Arnold. It's also another way to qualify for the 2010 Olympia's.

Kayde, thanx for responding as well. Glad to see you so focused on your pro debut & having seen you at pretty much all the NPC contests last year, perfectly understandable about giving your physique a rest. I wish you well at the Fitness International.

I know a lot of IFBB Pro's read this board & it looks like I pretty much got the response that Adela did - 2 answers. Hmm. Again, very disappointing to say the least. Come on ladies, if there is some reason as to why you aren't competing that could be used as constructive criticsm in the future, let's hear it.

Let me preface & say now this is just me speaking & not coming from The Prez - I would hate to see IFBB Pro Fitness start to become like IFBB Women's Pro Bodybuilding where less & less competitors enter & eventually the number of contests are less & less. I see the treand already starting this year because of the numbers in the contests last year. Fitness should be the most exciting part of any IFBB contest because of the routines. I am still a HUGE fan of the fitness routines & look forward to seeing them every time.

jm,...
"Let me preface & say now this is just me speaking & not coming from The Prez[/I][/U] - I would hate to see IFBB Pro Fitness start to become like IFBB Women's Pro Bodybuilding where less & less competitors enter & eventually the number of contests are less & less. I see the treand already starting this year because of the numbers in the contests last year. Fitness should be the most exciting part of any IFBB contest because of the routines. I am still a HUGE fan of the fitness routines & look forward to seeing them every time."

i concur and want to say thank you for your support for us fitchicks! ;)

sandi_stuart
02-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi JM!!!

I was very excited to see another fitness show added to the IFBB schedule. I was also shocked and disappointed with the low turnout.

I can only speak for myself, but like Kayde, I spent the better part of 2009 dieting. I started prep for Jr USA in January, competed and earned my pro card in May, kept dieting for a guest posing in July, and continued to diet and train for Ft Lauderdale Pro in October. My body took a serious beating.

After the brutal (but FANTASTIC:D) year I had, I also felt the need for a proper offseason so that my body could get some much-needed rest. As much as I would LOVE to do every show on the schedule, I am a firm believer in listening to my body when it tells me 'no'.

I'm gearing up for NY and Orlando pro at the moment. That was the earliest I felt I could jump into the 2010 schedule.

JM, Nita, Adela, Kayde.........looking forward to seeing you guys soon!
XOXO!!
S

fitnita1
02-11-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi JM!!!

I was very excited to see another fitness show added to the IFBB schedule. I was also shocked and disappointed with the low turnout.

I can only speak for myself, but like Kayde, I spent the better part of 2009 dieting. I started prep for Jr USA in January, competed and earned my pro card in May, kept dieting for a guest posing in July, and continued to diet and train for Ft Lauderdale Pro in October. My body took a serious beating.

After the brutal (but FANTASTIC:D) year I had, I also felt the need for a proper offseason so that my body could get some much-needed rest. As much as I would LOVE to do every show on the schedule, I am a firm believer in listening to my body when it tells me 'no'.

I'm gearing up for NY and Orlando pro at the moment. That was the earliest I felt I could jump into the 2010 schedule.

JM, Nita, Adela, Kayde.........looking forward to seeing you guys soon!
XOXO!!
S

see you soon girl!xo

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-11-2010, 04:35 PM
I love watching fitness!! It is too bad that less and less are competing. Could it be that the show is just so early in the year, seems unlike BB and figure, fitness takes alot more planning on practice to get up for speed maybe? I dunno. I can perfectly understand Kayde's and Sandi's reasoning for bypassing it. Looking forward to seeing those girls that do perform at the Phoenix Pro.

BigA
02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I was considering doing this show the minute I saw it posted.

I have the time and am ready to compete and would be willing to go.

I am off to a Mike Davies camp this weekend.

If someone is willing to sponsor me for the hotel, and flights (as I would have to bring my son), I would go in an instant.

A.:awesome:

tasha5951
02-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Tanji Johnson just posted on hardbody that she's competing in this show :awesome:, they just haven't gotten her contract yet (probably held up because the crazy snow we've been having in PA).

PS- I hope someone sponsors you Alison, I think it would be awesome if you got to compete in the AZ, I'm sure it's really expensive to do all the shows that you'd like to do. :)

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Tanji Johnson just posted on hardbody that she's competing in this show :awesome:, they just haven't gotten her contract yet (probably held up because the crazy snow we've been having in PA).

PS- I hope someone sponsors you Alison, I think it would be awesome if you got to compete in the AZ, I'm sure it's really expensive to do all the shows that you'd like to do. :)

Oh yay! So maybe more are competing than it seems atm...

LIFTstudios
02-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I was considering doing this show the minute I saw it posted.

I have the time and am ready to compete and would be willing to go.

I am off to a Mike Davies camp this weekend.

If someone is willing to sponsor me for the hotel, and flights (as I would have to bring my son), I would go in an instant.

A.:awesome:

No offense intended in asking... but why should someone sponsor you?

My two cents... If you are looking for sponsors to this show - tell people why they should care and invest in your competition.

TigerEyes
02-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I would have loved to do this one as well!
Unfortunately, I'm still in the process of rehabbing my shoulder after my surgery, and have just recently been cleared to start routine work. I think its a shame, we have so few shows to begin with, you would think the fitness line-up would be stacked...especially with Olympia qualifications on the line! I just hope we don't lose this one for next year, as I'll be the first one in line to go to Arizona next year (especially with the crazy winter weather we've had in Jersey!!)

BigA
02-11-2010, 09:09 PM
No offense intended in asking... but why should someone sponsor you?

My two cents... If you are looking for sponsors to this show - tell people why they should care and invest in your competition.

Good question. {warning: shameless self promotion - only one other time on this board}

I have been a fitness competitor in all federations for the last 11 years.
I am an athlete, an entertainer, a mother, a wife, a high school teacher, and a fitness competitor. I love competing in fitness as being onstage is the one place where I can be truly myself.

It was a long road to the pros - you can read about that on my blog (http://www.allisonethier.blogspot.com) - and in August of 2009 did win my pro card at the 2009 North American Fitness Championships. Two weeks later, I competed at the Atlantic City Pro Fitness event - one of the last newbie pros to do all 4 rounds of competition. I was really hoping to make it to the Olympia stage in the first year of being a pro.

I would have continued to compete at the Fort Lauderdale Pro in October, but unfortunately I exhausted all my funds for the year.

This year I feel extremely lucky to be invited to the Arnold Classic Fitness International. It has been a dream of mine since I began competing in 1998. To be able to compete in this show is such a privilege, and I really shouldn't ask for anymore as it almost sounds greedy.

But to "save fitness" (Reference: Tanji Johnson) one must compete. That is what I would like to be able to do. Show that fitness is still alive and well, and producing some very strong competitors who truly love what they do.

The only thing that has ever held me back from competing was the funds. For years I did everything by myself - diet, training, choreography, nutrition, sewing my own costumes, and swimsuits, editing my own music in order to save money. When I finally got a trainer, and external help from others, I grew into a better competitor and athlete. Having those around you to help you (mentally, physically or financially) are essential to getting to that next level. I want to be able to get to the next level. To be a contender.

I want to be able to make the most of all the opportunities to compete. Maybe I could make it to the Olympia stage? If I succeed would my sponsor not succeed as well? They would be apart of my success and I would be forever grateful. I am an extremely loyal person, have a good reputation in and out of the industry, consider myself to be a role model for others, and have a strong moral compass.

If fitness is the most entertaining part of the show - let me entertain you.

A.
www.allisonethier.com
www.youtube.com/allisonethier

Lady-Dynamite
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM

It is mentally and physically excruciating! And expensive as well. Lifting, cardio endurance training(plyometrics, sprinting, body weight exercises), flexibility(yoga, pilates..), and conditioning, dieting, and dealing with family issues, life stress...etc can make it real hard to train and prepare for a Fitness Event. A lot of work goes into that 2 minute routine, but a lot of people have no idea how much work. We make it look easy on stage. I wish they had a tv show of Fitness Athletes preparing for a Fitness event!....
Anyhow, after dealing with my own issues and family issues, i do plan to compete at the Phoenix show. Sending my application tomorrow.

LeslieRae
02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
it does break my heart sooo much not to be in this show...i was somewhat hopeful i could pull off the impossible, but i got a reality check early last month...how could i ever do a routine when i cant even jump :( BUT I can not wait until next year's!!

KRISSY
02-12-2010, 01:42 AM

Hey J.M.:D!
Great post! I was wondering the same thing! I know Troy spoke to 2 Fitness Pros today that did not even know about the show who are both thinking about doing it now! It is all about spreading the good word!

Krissyxo

TigerEyes
02-12-2010, 01:56 AM
it does break my heart sooo much not to be in this show...i was somewhat hopeful i could pull off the impossible, but i got a reality check early last month...how could i ever do a routine when i cant even jump :( BUT I can not wait until next year's!!

You and me both LeslieRae... i WILL see you there next year!!

ATilly
02-12-2010, 03:50 AM
That's great news Yenny! I am excited for you and you are an AMAZING fitness competitor. :bowdown:

fitnita1
02-12-2010, 04:53 AM
I love watching fitness!! It is too bad that less and less are competing. Could it be that the show is just so early in the year, seems unlike BB and figure, fitness takes alot more planning on practice to get up for speed maybe? I dunno. I can perfectly understand Kayde's and Sandi's reasoning for bypassing it. Looking forward to seeing those girls that do perform at the Phoenix Pro.

are you going sugar?

fitnita1
02-12-2010, 04:58 AM
It is mentally and physically excruciating! And expensive as well. Lifting, cardio endurance training(plyometrics, sprinting, body weight exercises), flexibility(yoga, pilates..), and conditioning, dieting, and dealing with family issues, life stress...etc can make it real hard to train and prepare for a Fitness Event. A lot of work goes into that 2 minute routine, but a lot of people have no idea how much work. We make it look easy on stage. I wish they had a tv show of Fitness Athletes preparing for a Fitness event!....
Anyhow, after dealing with my own issues and family issues, i do plan to compete at the Phoenix show. Sending my application tomorrow.

girl! i am so excited to see you!!!!!

fitnita1
02-12-2010, 05:04 AM

i am so looking forward to seeing your beautiful long and GORGEOUS legs absolutely GRACE THE STAGE again!!! you're killin' em with those eyes for now though, girl!! you are the total package. miss you and hope i see you this or next week... xoxoxo's... tim's having a powerlifting meet at die hard. do you want to go? it's saturday. the kids and i will be there...

fitnita1
02-12-2010, 05:05 AM
Hey J.M.:D!
Great post! I was wondering the same thing! I know Troy spoke to 2 Fitness Pros today that did not even know about the show who are both thinking about doing it now! It is all about spreading the good word!

Krissyxo

are you gonna see diana this weekend too by chance?

joyjoy
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Not a fitness competitor but would hate to see fitness fade into the background. Just from perusing this forum, is the total # of confirmed IFBB fitness pros up to 4 now for Phoenix show?

LIFTstudios
02-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Not a fitness competitor but would hate to see fitness fade into the background. Just from perusing this forum, is the total # of confirmed IFBB fitness pros up to 4 now for Phoenix show?

No. Only TWO fitness pros have sent in their contracts as of 11:30am EST. Camala and Nita.

Iron Sirens
02-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Now as of 3:15 p.m., Friday, February 12, 2010, there are 4 competitors in the contest, Camala Rodriguez, Nita Marquez, Tanji Johnson & Oksana Grishina. THAT’S ALL – 4! That is pathetic.

I have continued a lot of the dialog over at Hardbody.com as well in a blog here if you care to read it;

http://www.hardbody.com/news/2010/02/11/ifbb-fitness-pros-where-ya-at/

Some say I was hard on Tanji Johnson. But read her 1st reply to what Isaac originally wrote & you'll understand why I went on a rant.

And somebody asked what the fitness athlete's we manage have done to promote Fitness? I gave my answer which you'll see below.

To recap my last entry at Hardbody I'm posting it here;

First let me say to Monica, I agree, the athlete’s I manage are just as guitly of this as everybody else. I’m not giving any passes to anybody that is not injured or experienced something devestating in their personal lives, i.e., Tracey Greenwood & Michelle Mayberry in this thread.

And Monica, how can somebody not afford to have a manager? By definition, a manager only receives a commission of the work they procure for a client. There are no up front fee’s. If any manager is doing differently, then they are ripping their clients off. So please . . . don’t even go where you obviously do not have the correct information.

That being said, I am firing the shot across the bow of ALL IFBB PRO FITNESS competitors. In regard to Tanji, yes you do need to lead by example here. You are a veteran that everybody looks up to & you have an inspiring comeback story. You are leading a campaign called ‘Save Fitness’. Unfortunately nobody else is.

Have you noticed the lack of NPC Fitness contests as well? Those like Tanji, or Jen Hendershott or Adela Garcia, that are cultivating a team of fitness competitors may be doing so for a dying sport.

Am I being nit-picky? Absolutely. Why? Because Fitness is arguably “thee most exciting” division of the IFBB Professional League. And trust me, I’ve done more behind the scene’s since 1995 to help NPC & IFBB Fitness than any of you will ever need to know. The reason the section in the NPC News is called “NPC Fitness Corner” is because it was started to feature NPC & IFBB Fitness competitors. The problem over the years has been the amount of fitness competitors I have wanted photograph to be featured in the magazine but they had other plans or other non-published photographers to shoot with. Trust me, I have been asked over the years to change the name of the section to “NPC Figure Corner” but haven’t to say true to the spirit of Fitness. But at this rate I may just do that. It would be great to have a Fitness Corner, a Figure Corner & there is the new Bikini feature. But that’s a whole other subject that could take up way too much space here.

To run with what Tanji stated let me tell you why contracts are only due on Monday prior to contests now. The IFBB Pro’s complained that the contracts used to be due a month out from the contest, then they complained when it was reduced to 3 weeks prior to a contest, 2 years ago it was 2 weeks prior & now we’re down to basically 5 days because the IFBB Pro’s complained they couldn’t make up their minds that far out! WHAT? It doesn’t matter what division you are competing in, you have to train, diet, prepare a routine, obtain a hotel room, get an airline flight & a variety of other things. Is anybody going to do that 5 days before a contest? I doubt it.

If I’m the Phoenix promoter & plan to promote the contest again in 2011, I’m dropping Pro Fitness & adding Pro Bikini. Couldn’t hurt after the low turnout this year.

And that is the point – holding off on not sending a contract in hurts the promoter. How are they able to promote the show for weeks & months in advance without knowing who is in them? Pretty difficult.

The next non-invitational contest is the NYC Pro Fitness. I remember the days when that contest had 20+ competitors in it. In 2009 there were 12. I’m throwing it down to make the 2010 IFBB NYC Pro Fitness a contest with at least 20 competitors in it. Can it be done? I want to be proven wrong, so do it. Don’t let NPC & IFBB Fitness die out or be thrown to the wayside. I’ll be in NYC, so we’ll see what happens.

So I’m going end this rant by saying – GOOD LUCK CAMALA, NITA, OKSANA & TANJI at the Phoenix Pro Fitness. Make it a memorable contest for all! And THANK YOU for entering!

Iron Sirens
02-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I also want to throw this out to any & all IFBB Pro Fitness competitors - anybody that wants to contribute an article(s) to the NPC News about NPC and/or IFBB Fitness, please let me know. The door is open. And remember to keep it positive. This is to help promote the sport & bring it back to it's former glory.

titonej
02-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I also want to throw this out to any & all IFBB Pro Fitness competitors - anybody that wants to contribute an article(s) to the NPC News about NPC and/or IFBB Fitness, please let me know. The door is open. And remember to keep it positive. This is to help promote the sport & bring it back to it's former glory.

This is a hot topic but one that needed to be addressed. Very glad to see JM TAKE THIS POSITION. So glad to hear this. As Ann and I have stated numerous times on the Fit Bod talk show, as well at our camps it is a part of the sport that we all have to take accountability in! Ann and I are personally working with numerous fitness competitors which will be in Chicago for the JT Nats!!!! We believe as many this aspect of the sport is the most entertaining & rewarding.

We believe so much in this that Ann is considering a move to fitness. We will see however, in the mean time promoters, trainers, athletes, etc all have a buy in to help grow fitness!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a promoter and trainer, I hope to have close to 10 competitors at our show in April. That number which doesn't seem to be allot has grown from a few years back!!!

Siouxcountry
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I think everyone of us is shocked so few women will be competing in pro fitness at the Phoenix Pro.

No doubt fitness is the toughest of all divisions. Injuries are so common. These women are athletes that everyone of us respect. No one here wants to see fitness die.

I would love for 20+ to compete in New York! I hope this thread and Isaac's blog will encourage many to compete in New York & Florida in the next few months! :awesome:

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-12-2010, 09:31 PM
This is a hot topic but one that needed to be addressed. Very glad to see JM TAKE THIS POSITION. So glad to hear this. As Ann and I have stated numerous times on the Fit Bod talk show, as well at our camps it is a part of the sport that we all have to take accountability in! Ann and I are personally working with numerous fitness competitors which will be in Chicago for the JT Nats!!!! We believe as many this aspect of the sport is the most entertaining & rewarding.

We believe so much in this that Ann is considering a move to fitness. We will see however, in the mean time promoters, trainers, athletes, etc all have a buy in to help grow fitness!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a promoter and trainer, I hope to have close to 10 competitors at our show in April. That number which doesn't seem to be allot has grown from a few years back!!!

Wow, that is awesome, Ann is considering that. Very inspiring for sure! I have thought of trying to do fitness myself, as it does seem so rewarding and fun. Im so intimidated by it though. If I had someone that could guide me through my first show, I'd totally do it. Maybe be on my list of to-do's for this year.

claus
02-12-2010, 09:59 PM
I am honest - for me Fitness Athlets are the hardest trainig athletes.
Perfect shape, Hard training for the skills - some girls with extraordinary artistic and acrobatic routines.

I made a gallery at my facebook site, if you need inspirations - Please to all girls - support fitness and participe at the shows!

Claus

claus
02-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Maybe there is a solution - rise the price money for fbb, fitness and figure - I am sure more fitness athletes will appear and more athletes will decide to start at fitness - its harder to win money against 10-20 bodybuilders and 30+ figure athletes...

vancouverchick
02-12-2010, 10:30 PM
not quoting anyone --- but wasn't there something on this site about some Pro Fitness gals retiring because they were unable to compete with the leanness of Jen Hendershot (example) at the Arnold in 2009. I want to say Julie Lohre? but don't hold me to that.... I just remember reading there were many pro fitness gals that were out and just unable or unwilling to put themselves through that extreme.

Do we have a list of every pro fitness competitor?? I bet many have taken time off to have families?? I remember hearing a few stories from pro fitness gals doing that.... baby time.

vancouverchick
02-12-2010, 10:33 PM
another point --- and this could start a whole other thread with upset....

but is it due to the fact that many pros have no sponsorships like they did in the past.

haven't we seen a huge decrease in the amounts of sponsorships being handed out to these gals? especially the bigger deals where expenses were covered fully for these pro shows....

with the UFC and other big sporting events coming to light..... as well as the current recessions we are still trying to come out of.... could it be this for the reason to not use the pro card they worked so hard be awarded? finances?

Siouxcountry
02-12-2010, 10:36 PM
not quoting anyone --- but wasn't there something on this site about some Pro Fitness gals retiring because they were unable to compete with the leanness of Jen Hendershot (example) at the Arnold in 2009. I want to say Julie Lohre? but don't hold me to that.... I just remember reading there were many pro fitness gals that were out and just unable or unwilling to put themselves through that extreme.

Yes it was Julie Lohre..........

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=10327

Iron Sirens
02-12-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanx for yours & Ann's support Jack. Maybe with your Jacked Up Divas, Tanji's Save Fitness competitors, those that Adela is training, the athlete's we manage & the many people that Isaac knows we can all do our part to work together to bring both NPC & IFBB Fitness back to it's glory days. It can be done.

I'm trying to be proactive about this because I hear a lot of things none of you ever do. That's why I'm throwing it out there to everybody to do their part. Call it "Save Fitness" or whatever you want, but something needs to be done & needs to be done now!

Siouxcountry
02-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Maybe there is a solution - rise the price money for fbb, fitness and figure - I am sure more fitness athletes will appear and more athletes will decide to start at fitness - its harder to win money against 10-20 bodybuilders and 30+ figure athletes...

The pro shows rarely make a profit without an expo. If the minimum prize money was raised to lets say $10,000, you would probably see less pro shows, not more.

Iron Sirens
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM

but is it due to the fact that many pros have no sponsorships like they did in the past.

haven't we seen a huge decrease in the amounts of sponsorships being handed out to these gals? especially the bigger deals where expenses were covered fully for these pro shows....

with the UFC and other big sporting events coming to light..... as well as the current recessions we are still trying to come out of.... could it be this for the reason to not use the pro card they worked so hard be awarded? finances?

Lori, no I don't see that as the issue. This started 3-4 years ago, the numbers dropping, especially in the NPC & carrying over to the IFBB. There's more to it than that. I stated many complained of the costs involved, i.e., 2 suits & 2 routines to choreograph. So 2 rounds were removed due to input from the NPC & IFBB competitors. The NPC Fitness competitors wanted more pro cards given out. They got them. And what happens? The amount of competitors decreases in NPC national contests across the board. The last year the NPC Jr. National Fitness DID NOT offer any pro card, there were 40 competitors. The following year when a pro card was offered, the numbers dropped almost in half. How does that work? Last year with 3 pro cards available the NPC Jr. Nationals had it's lowest amount of competitors ever. Then Dr. Gary Udit adds Fitness to the IFBB North American Championships. How many competitors showed up? Only 5!

I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done or Fitness will slowly go the route of women's bodybuilding.

Iron Sirens
02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Yes it was Julie Lohre..........

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=10327

Sorry, but that's just another excuse. Jen didn't compete in the 2009 Olympia & is not competing in the 2010 Fitness International. What I am reading more & more are excuses, excuses, excuses.

LIFTstudios
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM

If more women would take steps to brand and market themselves in the industry they may see more sponsorships.

There's plenty of opportunity for sponsorships if one gets creative and off their butts.

Make yourself memorable in order to be marketable. Do that and you won't have to worry about finances being part of the equation.

titonej
02-13-2010, 12:01 AM
If more women would take steps to brand and market themselves in the industry they may see more sponsorships.

There's plenty of opportunity for sponsorships if one gets creative and off their butts.

Make yourself memorable in order to be marketable. Do that and you won't have to worry about finances being part of the equation.

Ann and I have not officially put this out yet however, we plan on sponsoring one fitness competitor for an attire year with nutrition, posing and boot camps paid for. This is a great savings to one lucky lady! More to come as we wish to help this cause as much as we can!!! A suit will be taking care as well!!!!

tkokayde
02-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Adela and I have been playing phone-tag today, but when we finally reach each other we are going to throw some ideas around and brainstorm about how to bring Fitness back. As disappointing as the current situation is, I'm glad to see how much emotion and support is behind the Fitness competitors. It shouldn't have had to come to this, but hopefully this will be "rock bottom" and things will only look up from here out.

As far as Fitness girls being too lean, I disagree. I don't think being too lean makes things too difficult. If anything, I think it makes it easier. The less weight and excess baggage you have to carry during that 2 minute routine, the easier it is. Do you bruise more when you're at sub-6% bodyfat? Yes. Do you have to perform the moves that cause you to bruise everytime you practice? No. We're Fitness athletes. Athletes get bruises and injuries. It's part of the game.

Also, if the girls that are at the top wanted to come in softer, I think they would. Obviously, they come in with the look they want to achieve and set precedence. If a competitor looks best softer and brings a good routine to stage, go for it. The judges aren't asking us all to come in rock hard. They're asking us to come in with our best package.

tkokayde
02-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Wow, that is awesome, Ann is considering that. Very inspiring for sure! I have thought of trying to do fitness myself, as it does seem so rewarding and fun. Im so intimidated by it though. If I had someone that could guide me through my first show, I'd totally do it. Maybe be on my list of to-do's for this year.

If you do want to do a Fitness show, I will help you. If you commit to it, I will be there for whatever you need. Prep help, routine help, getting up the nerve to do it, whatever you need to get up there and represent, I'm there.

Stacy Wright
02-13-2010, 02:53 AM
Sure, I'm not a pro! But you all know ANYTHING fitness and I'm game! ;) Just say the words! I definitely think if girls would just give it a shot, they would NOT regret trying fitness!!

SanDgroovy
02-13-2010, 06:11 AM
Sure, I'm not a pro! But you all know ANYTHING fitness and I'm game! ;) Just say the words! I definitely think if girls would just give it a shot, they would NOT regret trying fitness!!

x 2!! I haven't competed in YEARS but I've always kept up with the competitions (all divisions, all federations) and noticed the trend with fitness. I don't want to see fitness go away, ever.

I did fitness back in the day, and I plan on going back to it this year because it was so much fun and rewarding. I can't do a handstand nor can I tumble, but I am working as hard as I can on other aspects of fitness (strength, building muscle, getting flexible, dance class). I often hear ladies say "I can't do gymnastics, that's why I am sticking to figure/bikini"...I agree it seems like there are very few fitness gals who don't tumble, however, one can get a pro card without tumbling from what I've seen!

To anyone who thinks about trying fitness or wants to explore it...JUST DO IT. I agree, you won't regret it.

fitnita1
02-13-2010, 09:07 AM

i also think this would make a fantastic show topic jack.

fitnita1
02-13-2010, 09:13 AM
x 2!! I haven't competed in YEARS but I've always kept up with the competitions (all divisions, all federations) and noticed the trend with fitness. I don't want to see fitness go away, ever.

I did fitness back in the day, and I plan on going back to it this year because it was so much fun and rewarding. I can't do a handstand nor can I tumble, but I am working as hard as I can on other aspects of fitness (strength, building muscle, getting flexible, dance class). I often hear ladies say "I can't do gymnastics, that's why I am sticking to figure/bikini"...I agree it seems like there are very few fitness gals who don't tumble, however, one can get a pro card without tumbling from what I've seen!

To anyone who thinks about trying fitness or wants to explore it...JUST DO IT. I agree, you won't regret it.

i have NO dance OR gymnastics background. i started learning how to do handstands when i was 23 and had a child and a husband. i now have three children and the husband is gone (divorced/split 6 years ago), and even with that being the case, i have worked very hard to place top three in the routine round at almost all of the 14 national shows i did, including an overall national title i received to finally get my pro card (after being in the top-5 13 out of 14 shows for 10 years with the npc-- they said my body was the issue, but my routines, they always rewarded me for)...this is in addition to the multiple other local and regional events. and even as a pro and at worlds, my routine has always scored high... not that anyone should care for my scoring except that the point is i don't understand why anyone would say, "ah, i don't have a gymnast background so i can't do fitness...i'll stick with figure or bikini." aren't we supposed to be athletes? champions? those two categories are comprised of people who work indefinably hard (regardless of the stacks built against them) to be the best and that's why we're athletes instead of gymrats... so WHATEVER WORK IT TAKES, NO MATTER HOW MANY HOURS, NO MATTER THE EXCUSES... REASONS DON'T COUNT, RESULTS DO.

i have worked routine choreo for girls who went pro even before me, and those girls had no background in gym, cheer and much less rhythm, oftentimes... my point being that NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A GYMNAST TO DO FITNESS. all you have to do is work hard instead of working hard to find a reason not to do something you would absolutely love to do... no dance and no gymnastics, no problem... with a good choreographer and maybe even a technical coach(es), your commitment will suffice along with your hours and persistence.

so, thank you for your post girl, because that point has not been made by a fitness chick publicly ever, even though, yea, people actually walk around shunning their dreams for a possibility that they cannot do fitness just because they aren't gymnasts. thank you for your post sooooo much. ladies, are you worth the work. i think so, and i think the sport of fitness is too...

fitnita1
02-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Adela and I have been playing phone-tag today, but when we finally reach each other we are going to throw some ideas around and brainstorm about how to bring Fitness back. As disappointing as the current situation is, I'm glad to see how much emotion and support is behind the Fitness competitors. It shouldn't have had to come to this, but hopefully this will be "rock bottom" and things will only look up from here out.

As far as Fitness girls being too lean, I disagree. I don't think being too lean makes things too difficult. If anything, I think it makes it easier. The less weight and excess baggage you have to carry during that 2 minute routine, the easier it is. Do you bruise more when you're at sub-6% bodyfat? Yes. Do you have to perform the moves that cause you to bruise everytime you practice? No. We're Fitness athletes. Athletes get bruises and injuries. It's part of the game.

Also, if the girls that are at the top wanted to come in softer, I think they would. Obviously, they come in with the look they want to achieve and set precedence. If a competitor looks best softer and brings a good routine to stage, go for it. The judges aren't asking us all to come in rock hard. They're asking us to come in with our best package.

great great GREAT points... much respect girl...

fitnita1
02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Lori, no I don't see that as the issue. This started 3-4 years ago, the numbers dropping, especially in the NPC & carrying over to the IFBB. There's more to it than that. I stated many complained of the costs involved, i.e., 2 suits & 2 routines to choreograph. So 2 rounds were removed due to input from the NPC & IFBB competitors. The NPC Fitness competitors wanted more pro cards given out. They got them. And what happens? The amount of competitors decreases in NPC national contests across the board. The last year the NPC Jr. National Fitness DID NOT offer any pro card, there were 40 competitors. The following year when a pro card was offered, the numbers dropped almost in half. How does that work? Last year with 3 pro cards available the NPC Jr. Nationals had it's lowest amount of competitors ever. Then Dr. Gary Udit adds Fitness to the IFBB North American Championships. How many competitors showed up? Only 5!

I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done or Fitness will slowly go the route of women's bodybuilding.

these numbers are sad. no wonder your dad isn't jolted with joy for fitness... wow, jm... sorry to hear this is where it's at. i do all that i can to promote my sport to others and i aim to continue to do so. if you and/or adela want to talk with me, feel free to let me know how i can be more supportive to the life of the sport. as i have told you before, fitness as a sport has changed my entire lifepath, increased the well-being and potential value of events and opportunities that i can provide for my family, and has been a remarkable opportunity i have been able to use to make my dreams come true, literally. there is no better sport in our field in my opinion due to the entertainment value alone. those who work hard to entertain and who strive to be uniquely athletic, well, we give even hollywood a run for the money as far as entertainment goes. the npc takes full opportunity to create a world and prosperity through something that provides opportunity; and so i have taken that opportunity to perform on some of the finest stages in our nation, and i have and still live a dream come true. i mean, who gets to say that they entertained a crowd filling the seats of the manhattan center?! you guys make sure the venues are top notch and that we are, as athletes, very well showcased... so why people are not verifying their enthusiasm and commitment for a sport worthy of their passion, well, i don't get it either folks... this is an opportunity to become legendary, and people lay back on that?

BigA
02-13-2010, 12:54 PM
:popcorn:

titonej
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
i also think this would make a fantastic show topic jack.

Nita, facebook me and lets set something up in Arizona!!! Thanks

sandi_stuart
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Now as of 3:15 p.m., Friday, February 12, 2010, there are 4 competitors in the contest, Camala Rodriguez, Nita Marquez, Tanji Johnson & Oksana Grishina. THAT’S ALL – 4! That is pathetic.

I have continued a lot of the dialog over at Hardbody.com as well in a blog here if you care to read it;

http://www.hardbody.com/news/2010/02/11/ifbb-fitness-pros-where-ya-at/

Some say I was hard on Tanji Johnson. But read her 1st reply to what Isaac originally wrote & you'll understand why I went on a rant.

And somebody asked what the fitness athlete's we manage have done to promote Fitness? I gave my answer which you'll see below.

To recap my last entry at Hardbody I'm posting it here;

First let me say to Monica, I agree, the athlete’s I manage are just as guitly of this as everybody else. I’m not giving any passes to anybody that is not injured or experienced something devestating in their personal lives, i.e., Tracey Greenwood & Michelle Mayberry in this thread.

And Monica, how can somebody not afford to have a manager? By definition, a manager only receives a commission of the work they procure for a client. There are no up front fee’s. If any manager is doing differently, then they are ripping their clients off. So please . . . don’t even go where you obviously do not have the correct information.

That being said, I am firing the shot across the bow of ALL IFBB PRO FITNESS competitors. In regard to Tanji, yes you do need to lead by example here. You are a veteran that everybody looks up to & you have an inspiring comeback story. You are leading a campaign called ‘Save Fitness’. Unfortunately nobody else is.

Have you noticed the lack of NPC Fitness contests as well? Those like Tanji, or Jen Hendershott or Adela Garcia, that are cultivating a team of fitness competitors may be doing so for a dying sport.

Am I being nit-picky? Absolutely. Why? Because Fitness is arguably “thee most exciting” division of the IFBB Professional League. And trust me, I’ve done more behind the scene’s since 1995 to help NPC & IFBB Fitness than any of you will ever need to know. The reason the section in the NPC News is called “NPC Fitness Corner” is because it was started to feature NPC & IFBB Fitness competitors. The problem over the years has been the amount of fitness competitors I have wanted photograph to be featured in the magazine but they had other plans or other non-published photographers to shoot with. Trust me, I have been asked over the years to change the name of the section to “NPC Figure Corner” but haven’t to say true to the spirit of Fitness. But at this rate I may just do that. It would be great to have a Fitness Corner, a Figure Corner & there is the new Bikini feature. But that’s a whole other subject that could take up way too much space here.

To run with what Tanji stated let me tell you why contracts are only due on Monday prior to contests now. The IFBB Pro’s complained that the contracts used to be due a month out from the contest, then they complained when it was reduced to 3 weeks prior to a contest, 2 years ago it was 2 weeks prior & now we’re down to basically 5 days because the IFBB Pro’s complained they couldn’t make up their minds that far out! WHAT? It doesn’t matter what division you are competing in, you have to train, diet, prepare a routine, obtain a hotel room, get an airline flight & a variety of other things. Is anybody going to do that 5 days before a contest? I doubt it.

If I’m the Phoenix promoter & plan to promote the contest again in 2011, I’m dropping Pro Fitness & adding Pro Bikini. Couldn’t hurt after the low turnout this year.

And that is the point – holding off on not sending a contract in hurts the promoter. How are they able to promote the show for weeks & months in advance without knowing who is in them? Pretty difficult.

The next non-invitational contest is the NYC Pro Fitness. I remember the days when that contest had 20+ competitors in it. In 2009 there were 12. I’m throwing it down to make the 2010 IFBB NYC Pro Fitness a contest with at least 20 competitors in it. Can it be done? I want to be proven wrong, so do it. Don’t let NPC & IFBB Fitness die out or be thrown to the wayside. I’ll be in NYC, so we’ll see what happens.

So I’m going end this rant by saying – GOOD LUCK CAMALA, NITA, OKSANA & TANJI at the Phoenix Pro Fitness. Make it a memorable contest for all! And THANK YOU for entering!

With all due respect, JM, I am a bit hurt by some of your statements.

I agree with you that the turnout is disappointing; HOWEVER, I don't think it's fair to assume all fitness pros are turning their backs on the sport just because there is a poor turnout for one show.

I personally have 2 competitors whose routines I am sponsoring this year. I've written several articles and have a series of articles on bodysport outlining the ABC's of competitive fitness, in hopes of bringing the numbers up. My door is and has always been open to girls in the sport looking for feedback, encouragement, and advice on how to get started. I probably get pm's from at least 5 different girls per week asking fitness advice...and I take the time to respond to every single one.

Just because I physically do not feel it is in my best interests to do the Phoenix show does NOT mean I do not love and support fitness. I don't regard listening to my body as an 'excuse'; I regard it as a difficult yet neccessary decision. Trust me, it's NOT an easy thing for me to admit I am not a superhero and that my body needs a break. :o

How can I contact you in order to write for NPC news?( I tried to send you a pm, but you have the pm feature disabled.) I would love to help in that capacity, or sit down with you and brainstorm how I can contribute to rebuilding the sport. I've even contemplated holding a 'camp' for novice competitors to give them all the tools they need to get started..........free of charge. I would be more than happy to donate my time and expertise in that capacity to the NPC if you would like to set something up.

Looking forward to seeing you in NY! I'll be back onstage at NY Pro, and maybe we can chat sometime that weekend and get some plans moving. I am all for POSITIVITY in this industry........and all for change for the better.

BigA
02-13-2010, 02:54 PM
I am grateful that they offered a fitness event at the North Americans this year. I do not feel that I would have had the opportunity to turn pro without without having to wait another 365 days to try for it again.

I love competing and would do every show if I had the resources.

A.

ATilly
02-13-2010, 04:17 PM
I am excited to read this thread and see how much passion there is for Fitness from everyone involved, J.M, Jack, Issac, and the ladies on here. As someone who's grown up with it and watched it and always wanted to try but waited a long ass time (out of fear mostly) I am glad to see that the fight is still there to keep it going so that I can compete. The glory days were awesome but maybe we can get it back there, keep it alive!!!!!!

I just have to say that Nita - I think you're amazing. I have watched (on DVD mostly) all of your performances at the National Shows over the last many years and you're tenacity and dedication and overall passion just spill out on that stage. I am so excited to see you as a Pro!!! Allison E, you are another veteran of this sport that I have watched in the different organizations and I am so glad that you made my your home with the NPC/IFBB and turned Pro, I think you rock girl and you both exemplify what this sport is about.

Kayde, Camala, Sandi, Yenny, Staci, :bowdown: you are inspiring others because you all bring a different flavor and style and crazy skills to that stage. As for the package, I agree with you Kayde, I think the beauty of Fitness is that it's really what looks best on you and of course what powers you through the routine, for some that's being leaner than others I bet...

BTW - Seeing Ann crossover to do Fitness would be very cool!! BTW - Good luck next weekend Ann and Jack!

But I ramble, great thread and I hope to contribute by entering my first NPC Fitness show this year, and many more!

cici_kyle
02-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Having only read the first page of threads, and being an NPC fitness competitor, forgive me if my thoughts have been voiced already.

I have been competing in fitness for 3 years and have only managed to compete in 2 national level shows so far. Fitness can be more expensive than the other categories for the simple fact that choreography, music, and costume can be quite costly. From an NPC perspective, it just makes WAY more sense to compete in figure and bikini. Thats what new competitors tell me all the time. So its really a vicious cycle, new athletes would rather compete in other categories so there are less competitors in the local, state, and national shows. I would love to have more competitors at a state level show for the practice but if i want competitors I have to go to a national show, which I can't just afford to go to all 3-4 each year.

Athletes that do make it to pro would face the same problem I would presume. Just cuz you earn a pro card doesn't guarantee any type of financial gain and it costs more to compete on that level. If I were an IFBB fitness pro, I would choose my shows carefully and sparingly as well

Iron Sirens
02-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Having only read the first page of threads, and being an NPC fitness competitor, forgive me if my thoughts have been voiced already.

I have been competing in fitness for 3 years and have only managed to compete in 2 national level shows so far. Fitness can be more expensive than the other categories for the simple fact that choreography, music, and costume can be quite costly. From an NPC perspective, it just makes WAY more sense to compete in figure and bikini. Thats what new competitors tell me all the time. So its really a vicious cycle, new athletes would rather compete in other categories so there are less competitors in the local, state, and national shows. I would love to have more competitors at a state level show for the practice but if i want competitors I have to go to a national show, which I can't just afford to go to all 3-4 each year.

Athletes that do make it to pro would face the same problem I would presume. Just cuz you earn a pro card doesn't guarantee any type of financial gain and it costs more to compete on that level. If I were an IFBB fitness pro, I would choose my shows carefully and sparingly as well

Cici, thanx for joining in. Let me suggest that you read the other pages because this is addressed. Not to reiterate because it's already on here, but finances are the main reason 2 rounds have been dropped due to the voices of NPC & IFBB Fitness competitors.

Good Luck this year & hopefully I'll get to meet you at an NPC national contest this year!

Iron Sirens
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
I am excited to read this thread and see how much passion there is for Fitness from everyone involved, J.M, Jack, Issac, and the ladies on here. As someone who's grown up with it and watched it and always wanted to try but waited a long ass time (out of fear mostly) I am glad to see that the fight is still there to keep it going so that I can compete. The glory days were awesome but maybe we can get it back there, keep it alive!!!!!!

I just have to say that Nita - I think you're amazing. I have watched (on DVD mostly) all of your performances at the National Shows over the last many years and you're tenacity and dedication and overall passion just spill out on that stage. I am so excited to see you as a Pro!!! Allison E, you are another veteran of this sport that I have watched in the different organizations and I am so glad that you made my your home with the NPC/IFBB and turned Pro, I think you rock girl and you both exemplify what this sport is about.

Kayde, Camala, Sandi, Yenny, Staci, :bowdown: you are inspiring others because you all bring a different flavor and style and crazy skills to that stage. As for the package, I agree with you Kayde, I think the beauty of Fitness is that it's really what looks best on you and of course what powers you through the routine, for some that's being leaner than others I bet...

BTW - Seeing Ann crossover to do Fitness would be very cool!! BTW - Good luck next weekend Ann and Jack!

But I ramble, great thread and I hope to contribute by entering my first NPC Fitness show this year, and many more!

Alison, Good Luck. I see you're in N.J. If you're entering the NPC Steve Stone NY Metropolitan or Bev Francis Atlantic States Fitness, I'll be at both. Be sure to introduce yourself.

Iron Sirens
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
With all due respect, JM, I am a bit hurt by some of your statements.

I agree with you that the turnout is disappointing; HOWEVER, I don't think it's fair to assume all fitness pros are turning their backs on the sport just because there is a poor turnout for one show.

I personally have 2 competitors whose routines I am sponsoring this year. I've written several articles and have a series of articles on bodysport outlining the ABC's of competitive fitness, in hopes of bringing the numbers up. My door is and has always been open to girls in the sport looking for feedback, encouragement, and advice on how to get started. I probably get pm's from at least 5 different girls per week asking fitness advice...and I take the time to respond to every single one.

Just because I physically do not feel it is in my best interests to do the Phoenix show does NOT mean I do not love and support fitness. I don't regard listening to my body as an 'excuse'; I regard it as a difficult yet neccessary decision. Trust me, it's NOT an easy thing for me to admit I am not a superhero and that my body needs a break. :o

How can I contact you in order to write for NPC news?( I tried to send you a pm, but you have the pm feature disabled.) I would love to help in that capacity, or sit down with you and brainstorm how I can contribute to rebuilding the sport. I've even contemplated holding a 'camp' for novice competitors to give them all the tools they need to get started..........free of charge. I would be more than happy to donate my time and expertise in that capacity to the NPC if you would like to set something up.

Looking forward to seeing you in NY! I'll be back onstage at NY Pro, and maybe we can chat sometime that weekend and get some plans moving. I am all for POSITIVITY in this industry........and all for change for the better.

Sandi, e-mail me at jmmnpc@aol.com

You might also want to contact your IFBB Pro Fitness Rep Adela Garcia. Her e-mail is Chicalatina99@aol.com

claus
02-13-2010, 09:49 PM
I am not sure if you know about, but there is a lot of east european and brazil fantastic amateur fitness athlets that are qualified to become pro - as well as some great and beautiful female bodybuilders.
Why do they deny? Because beeing pro and not living in the US is very expensive.

Most female pro athletes cannot live by the money they get from beeing pro and competing.
Help the girls to get good sponsorships or make a foundation for female bodybuilders and fitness athletes that can be really "pro" - not only by supplements and costumes, but by real money - and paying the travel expenses not only for the Arnold and Olympia, but also for the smaller events.

fitnita1
02-14-2010, 01:14 AM
we will miss you there, but i hope you are enjoying your family as the new year is kicked off... ttys, and hey, jm, thank you very much for the notes of gratitude and encouragement. you always tell things straight, but your diplomacy and deliberation always has a positive spin on it for us...

Suzanne
02-15-2010, 03:09 PM
After reading through most of this, may have missed a post here and there

my thoughts are that the biggest thing is to get more people into fitness

the answer is not have all the competitors compete in all the shows it is just way to hard on the body to compete so many times a year especially if spaced so far out that you have to do multiple full preps. Not to mention it is so expensive to compete. My 2 national shows this year, which we are driving to to save air and car rental, are costing about $7000. It is gonna be tight and i may not be able to do 2 shows as much as i really want to.

Now getting more people in requires changing the "i want it now" mentality most people have. I can't tell you how many times i have wanted to post "why are you jumping on stage before even working on the type of physique necessary" for which ever division. So to develop the skills necessary for fitness means taking more time before hitting the competitive stage.

New people should be encouraged to take their time not to try to be on stage a a few months from the first time they ever worked out. and once they realize that mindset then maybe more would be will to take the extra time to develope the skills for fitness.

just my 2 cents :)

I love watching the routines!

Siouxcountry
02-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Some good news on fitness.

More women are competing at the Arnold Amateur fitness event, than last year...........

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=10968

:)

johnstoa
02-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I too would love to see a strong comeback in Fitness. I have always enjoyed watching the competitors perform their routines. My daughter, who is 13, just joined Team Bombshell as a fitness competitor and I couldn't be happier. Although I am in Figure, I love the thought of us doing this together and I know she will put her heart and soul into it. It will be great to watch her blossom right before my eyes.

LeslieRae
02-16-2010, 05:22 PM
i have NO dance OR gymnastics background. i started learning how to do handstands when i was 23 and had a child and a husband. i now have three children and the husband is gone (divorced/split 6 years ago), and even with that being the case, i have worked very hard to place top three in the routine round at almost all of the 14 national shows i did, including an overall national title i received to finally get my pro card (after being in the top-5 13 out of 14 shows for 10 years with the npc-- they said my body was the issue, but my routines, they always rewarded me for)...this is in addition to the multiple other local and regional events. and even as a pro and at worlds, my routine has always scored high... not that anyone should care for my scoring except that the point is i don't understand why anyone would say, "ah, i don't have a gymnast background so i can't do fitness...i'll stick with figure or bikini." aren't we supposed to be athletes? champions? those two categories are comprised of people who work indefinably hard (regardless of the stacks built against them) to be the best and that's why we're athletes instead of gymrats... so WHATEVER WORK IT TAKES, NO MATTER HOW MANY HOURS, NO MATTER THE EXCUSES... REASONS DON'T COUNT, RESULTS DO.

i have worked routine choreo for girls who went pro even before me, and those girls had no background in gym, cheer and much less rhythm, oftentimes... my point being that NO, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A GYMNAST TO DO FITNESS. all you have to do is work hard instead of working hard to find a reason not to do something you would absolutely love to do... no dance and no gymnastics, no problem... with a good choreographer and maybe even a technical coach(es), your commitment will suffice along with your hours and persistence.

so, thank you for your post girl, because that point has not been made by a fitness chick publicly ever, even though, yea, people actually walk around shunning their dreams for a possibility that they cannot do fitness just because they aren't gymnasts. thank you for your post sooooo much. ladies, are you worth the work. i think so, and i think the sport of fitness is too...

Nita, girl you know that i am with you on this one!! i didnt have any gymnastics or dance in my background and i am as "white" as the defination can be, but what i did have and do have is heart...so i am agreeing whole heartedly with JM: there is a lot of excuses and that is understandable, it is hard, but what we CAN NOT do is complain about things without being willing to scrafice to go after them regardless of background or ability. I struggled EVERY show paying for it and getting there and preping...i didn't even have a plastic spoon, much less a silver one...but even on my fourth knee surger in 3years, i'm planning my next routine...even if it is for 2011! lol :awesome:

cici_kyle
02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Some good news on fitness.

More women are competing at the Arnold Amateur fitness event, than last year...........

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=10968

...i have been discouraged from competing in this event because there are no pro cards awarded here. I know finances have been discussed to exhaustion in this and similar threads but basically I was told that if I'm going to do a national show (which I can only afford about one/year), I might as well do one that "counts" ...I was planning on doing the arnold in 2008 but "coaches" advised against it.

...just a thought

fitnita1
02-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Nita, girl you know that i am with you on this one!! i didnt have any gymnastics or dance in my background and i am as "white" as the defination can be, but what i did have and do have is heart...so i am agreeing whole heartedly with JM: there is a lot of excuses and that is understandable, it is hard, but what we CAN NOT do is complain about things without being willing to scrafice to go after them regardless of background or ability. I struggled EVERY show paying for it and getting there and preping...i didn't even have a plastic spoon, much less a silver one...but even on my fourth knee surger in 3years, i'm planning my next routine...even if it is for 2011! lol :awesome:

love the spoon analogy l-rae! too friggin cute, sooo you!!!

i talked to tim, and he says you will be back for some training in a couple weeks? yay!!! so are we gonna rock 2010-2012 with a southwest heatwave of desert flowers or what??? woooo-hoooo! girl, i have good vibes for you next year. you're gonna kick the hoo-haw outta the competition like never before. your heart is strong, but girl, don't you dare underestimate your talent, cause you are not only stunning in beauty, but you friggin ROCK THE HOUSE when you aim to... you know this girl!!! love you!!! see you this week!! xoxoxox's...

LIFTstudios
02-16-2010, 07:12 PM
...i have been discouraged from competing in this event because there are no pro cards awarded here. I know finances have been discussed to exhaustion in this and similar threads but basically I was told that if I'm going to do a national show (which I can only afford about one/year), I might as well do one that "counts" ...I was planning on doing the arnold in 2008 but "coaches" advised against it.

...just a thought

I'm not sure who your coach is but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. The Arnold is a great setting to compete in and get noticed. Look at past winners like Allison and Slyvia - both have gone on to turn pro and received exposure by winning the Arnold Amateur fitness event.

There's more to consider than just getting a pro card. Say you did win a pro card - then what?

Betsy
02-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure who your coach is but I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. The Arnold is a great setting to compete in and get noticed. Look at past winners like Allison and Slyvia - both have gone on to turn pro and received exposure by winning the Arnold Amateur fitness event.

There's more to consider than just getting a pro card. Say you did win a pro card - then what?

i agree it could def benefit you.. my trainer told me to do it for the exposure, being newer on the natty circuit.. i made the decision NOT TO because i wanted more time to make some changes, but if not i would have done it, and i consider it just as compeititve as some of these natl shows.

LizaFit
02-16-2010, 09:08 PM
I agree about competing at the Arnold Amatuer Show and other Jr. National shows even when there is not a Pro Card awarded...the more you are on stage, the more practice you get and the better you will become which will prepare you for what lies ahead. It is a huge accomplishment earning your Pro Card no doubt, however having your Pro Card doesn't guarantee you anything. That is a misconception...so it's my belief as well, that just getting your Pro Card should not be the only thing that drives you! Whether you are amateur level or Pro you have to find opportunities..they do not just show up on your doorstep!

As a Fitness Pro, after discussing it with my family, I made a commitment to compete at 2 shows each year, to be able to balance family,finances, work and prep. In 2008 I hurt my knee, still competed in Houston Pro in Fitness and later KY Muscle in Figure because I wanted to get back on stage again for my second show that year :D...

I'm curious to know if other Pro Fitness women plan out how many shows they can feasibly compete in and how they come to their decision. Of course, there are always unforseen circumstances...aside from that, just curious to see if you plan your year out? I found for me, I needed to have a plan in place.

xox Liza

cici_kyle
02-16-2010, 10:35 PM

...then i could compete in one of these ifbb shows that are in need of fitness competitors:D

I understand the exposure factor. My goal when I started competing was to compete on the Olympia stage and win the fitness title. I love competing, love getting on stage to perform my routine... However, competing in only one national show a year, it just makes more sense (at least in my head) to compete in shows where there is a pro card available. Puts me closer to my goal

LIFTstudios
02-16-2010, 10:56 PM
...then i could compete in one of these ifbb shows that are in need of fitness competitors:D

I understand the exposure factor. My goal when I started competing was to compete on the Olympia stage and win the fitness title. I love competing, love getting on stage to perform my routine... However, competing in only one national show a year, it just makes more sense (at least in my head) to compete in shows where there is a pro card available. Puts me closer to my goal

The talk of "save fitness" is not just on the pro level it's on every level. Which goes back to a coach advising a competitor to only do a pro qualifying event and why it hurts not only the promoters but also the industry as a whole.

Hey if you're going to dream, dream big. More power to ya. I don't agree with your show strategy but hey only you can decide what's best for you.

I'd encourage you to research what past Fitness Olympia winners have done and you'll see a trend. They didn't do just one show a year. Then when they turned pro they didn't just do one show and become the Olympia champ. The women who you see in the magazines, the women who have the Fitness Olympia title got there by competing a number of times. The more you're on stage the more comfortable you'll be and your stage presence will improve.

I understand the fiance rationale as it's an issue for most competitors. If you truly want to become a pro and compete for the Olympia title, I'd suggest doing more than one show a year and if money is an issue find a way to make the money to reach your goal.

cici_kyle
02-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I'd encourage you to research what past Fitness Olympia winners have done and you'll see a trend. They didn't do just one show a year. Then when they turned pro they didn't just do one show and become the Olympia champ. The women who you see in the magazines, the women who have the Fitness Olympia title got there by competing a number of times. The more you're on stage the more comfortable you'll be and your stage presence will improve.

I understand the fiance rationale as it's an issue for most competitors. If you truly want to become a pro and compete for the Olympia title, I'd suggest doing more than one show a year and if money is an issue find a way to make the money to reach your goal.

...I have done research and i know it takes more than one show to win a title (with a few exceptions). A lot of the competitors I saw at Jr Nationals last year had basically competed in EVERY national show. I am still finding my way to reach my goal....

sandi_stuart
02-17-2010, 02:19 AM
...I have done research and i know it takes more than one show to win a title (with a few exceptions). A lot of the competitors I saw at Jr Nationals last year had basically competed in EVERY national show. I am still finding my way to reach my goal....

Arent' you in Florida? Shoot me a pm. I'm in the Orlando area.

S

tkokayde
02-17-2010, 03:32 AM
The talk of "save fitness" is not just on the pro level it's on every level. Which goes back to a coach advising a competitor to only do a pro qualifying event and why it hurts not only the promoters but also the industry as a whole.

Hey if you're going to dream, dream big. More power to ya. I don't agree with your show strategy but hey only you can decide what's best for you.

I gotta agree with Isaac here. Last year was a true test of wills for me in many ways, including financially. But most importantly, it was a huge learning and growing experience. I don't think things would have gone the same had I broken the journey up over 3 shows in 3 years. Not to say I wouldn't have won my Pro card, but it would have been a lot harder to stay immersed in things and continue to let the learning process unfold so smoothly.

My husband and I had no intentions on last year going as it did. We planned on me hitting the National level, and of course my goal was a Pro card, as I think is the goal of most. We just didn't lay out the set plan for each show in advance. It was a tough sacrifice, but we did it. I was laid off from my 9-5 job in Oct. of 2008, and well, we all know how the economy is doing. But we figured it out. We drove to all of the shows, even from Raleigh to Chicago for Jr. Nats. At Team U we skipped dropping a grand on a hotel and went with staying at my brother's condo. I did my own hair and makeup (sometimes better than others...but I learned!). When my suit got too big going into Team U, Sandi Stu was lovely enough to loan me her Jr. USA's suit so that I didn't have to buy a new one (LOVE YOU SANDI!!!). The point is that it can be done frugally. Not inexpensively, but frugally. And it is so worth it to be a part of that National level year as it unfolds.

Iron Sirens
02-17-2010, 04:22 AM
In regard to the Phoenix Pro Fitness, kudo's to Stephanie Bambrough, Bridget Murray-Ward, Julie Palmer & Yenny Polanco for entering & at least making it 8 competitors. To think that a week ago there was only 1.

Back to the issue at hand - although we can talk & post on message boards & write articles about what needs to be done to save Fitness, the only thing that is going to matter is true action. And that action is by entering the contests at both the NPC & IFBB levels. Support the promoters & their competitions. You need to enter the competitions - plain & simple.

I understand that finances play into this, but if you read the posts above there are creative ways to do it & trust me you'll find your sisters in Fitness more than willing to lend a helping hand for a variety of reasons to get you on stage. All you have to do is not be afraid to reach out to them.

On the NPC side, reading that a coach is advising against doing the Arnold Amateur is exactly what is helping to send this sport into a downward spiral. Too many times I've seen a fitness competitor enter a local contest that usually has anywhere from 1-5 competitors (& that's stretching it) & they qualify for an NPC national-level contest & think they don't have to do any other local and/or regional contests anymore because "I'm a national competitor now." Like Isaac stated, the most successful Fitness athlete's in the IFBB right now did NPC show upon NPC show to get better & build a buzz about themselves & then when they did earn that IFBB Pro Card, they did the same thing in the IFBB until they became the Adela Garcia's, Jen Hendershott's, Tanji Johnson's, Julie Palmer's & Tracey Greenwood's & that is why they have all been able to sustain a decade long career or more. I remember meeting Adela at her 1st contest in 1995! If Fitness competitors don't support the local/regional side of the NPC competitions, it is going to continue to directly affect the national-level side.

Back to the IFBB Pro Fitness competitors - there are 2 contests after the Arnold - NYC & Europa Florida. Both on the East Coast & only 2 weeks apart. I would love to see at least 20 competitors in each & many of the same competitors. Can it be done?

To put things in perspective, over the past 2 years there have been a little over 20 competitors that turned pro yet I'd venture to say that close to 60% of them have not competed in IFBB Fitness yet. Sure they've competed in IFBB Figure but that doesn't count. With these new pro's & the veteran's a change can me made. Just remember the only way to initiate the change is to actually be on stage competing.

Let's keep Fitness alive!

ATilly
02-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Alison, Good Luck. I see you're in N.J. If you're entering the NPC Steve Stone NY Metropolitan or Bev Francis Atlantic States Fitness, I'll be at both. Be sure to introduce yourself.

Hey J.M. - I sure will!! I am excited to see the larger number in this show, it's going to be good!! And I CANNOT WAIT to see all of the Arnold Amateur competitors, especially fitness, was thrilled at those numbers (so much fun to watch). Next year I hope to be able to do it!

tbfitness
03-15-2010, 05:24 PM
I am really surprised at the number of girls competing this year. I really thought after the Ft Lauderdale Cup things were starting to come around with 16 competitors there. I know I have been dealing with ongoing injuries with my hamstring and hip and am being forced to take it easy for awhile. I was planning on competing at Orlando but at the moment am not really able to properly prepare for it because I can't do my routine. I am not sure how many other girls are in the same boat as me with being injured but as soon as I am better you can guarantee I will be back out there!

tammymac10
03-18-2010, 06:21 PM
HI all,
My name is Tammy McGregor-Moore I was reading the post on here. I love Fitness. I’ve done couple national shows .I'm 42 years old and still doing this.
I want that Pro Card so please save Fitness. I don't have a Gymnastics back ground I just try to bring the best routine that I have to the stage.
I’ll do Fitness until I die I don't care how old I am

see on the Stage:drool3:

ChrissyZ
03-20-2010, 03:09 AM
I have the same feelings as a lot of women here on this forum. I'm willing to do what I can to save the fitness division, so much so that I'm switching from figure to fitness to help inspire all of the figure girls that I train to go out and show off their fitness level and creativity by joining the fitness division as well.

I'll be seeing many of you at the competitions this year, starting with the Contra Costa in May!

Can't wait, should be an exciting year!

lann1011
05-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Calling ALL 35 and up FITNESS division Competitors!
I sent an email asking HOW we can get Fitness put back on Masters nationals.. this is the answer that I got from Gary Udit:

Subject: Re: Hi, I was wondering...
To: "Leslie Thompson" <lann1011@yahoo.com>
Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 1:09 PM

I would love to have fitness. We had to stop running it due to very low participation. If you can come up with 10 athletes we'll have it.

For example girl called from NY last month with 18 TEEN Fitness athletes. I said we would run it if the athletes were in. When all was said and done she had 3 competitors as the others opted for a gymnastics camp.

The NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS that I promote has fitness September 3/4.

It's July 24th, in Pittsburgh, PA

2010 GNC NPC
TEEN, COLLEGIATE
AND
MASTERS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Bodybuilding Figure Bikini
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
HOW TO QUALIFY
Bodybuilding competitors need only to have entered a previous NPC
contest, no matter what the year, no matter what the placing, no matter what the category - Teen, Novice, Collegiate, Masters, Open, etc.

Figure and Bikini competitors are not required to pre-qualify for this event.
NPC MEMBERSHIP
All contestants must be registered as athletes with the computer service of the NPC National Physique Committee as of June 23, 2010. For an application, contact the NPC at PO Box 3711, Pittsburgh, PA 15230 412-276-5027.

Competitors MAY NOT register for an NPC card at the Check-In/Weigh-In.
US CITIZENSHIP
Men Over 40/Over 50/Over 60, Women BB Over 35/45, Figure Over 35/45 and Bikini Over 35
Due to the fact that these Divisions are Pro Qualifiers you MUST be a US citizen to enter this event and proof MUST be sent with entry (copy of birth certificate, voter registration, or military discharge).

---------------

Gary is talking to Mr. Jim Manion on tuesday about if there could be a pro card given to the over all winner.. But if not this year then NEXT year IF we can get 9 more girls to make a showing here! Please help if you know of any Masters figure girls that want to try fitness or any Fitness girls that are over 35! This could be a huge step in getting us another pro qualifier back !

OH and remember there are no more Mandatory moves you have to do anymore! So if you have a dance background, or martial arts or are just strong or flexible there are all kinds of women and routines that will do well now!

If you are interested please do not hesitate, shoot me a mail at Lann1011@yahoo.com

Thanks for the help I am getting from Jason Adams, Drexel Long, and other helping the word out.