PDA

View Full Version : Impressions, thoughts, results on the 2010 Phoenix Pro

titonej
02-22-2010, 02:45 PM
It is Sunday evening and I'm sitting at the airport thinking about the weekend.

What comes to mind first and foremost is that I already miss so many people from this weekend! This sport truly allows you rewarding experiences and memories to cherish.

The Promoter! Styker is one cool dude. He is passionate about what he does and he loves what he is doing!! He may come off loud at times but that is because he cares and wants to see the best for our industry. Stryker and I really hit it off. We believe that the industry / sport has so many un-tapped possibilities that in the next few months the hope is to put together a committee and present some of these ideas. Stryker believes that the sport is growing and can be directed to place we have not seen as of yet. You have to love his determination and passion.

The show itself was a well run show from top to bottom. All the great perks that one can only dream about. Back stage competitors had their own mirrors in their dressing room which is so important for the females. Rarely you will see this. The athletes where treated like gold.

The venue was top notch with plenty of room and space for all. This show and its staff exceeded my expectations and should be commended on the job they all did!

Results and standouts!!!!!!!!!!!

Female bodybuilding

Well, all the hype leading up to the show was well deserved. All the ladies brought great packages. As discussed in previous threads it really was exciting to meet and watch Zoa debut. She is the future no question and is a truly fun person to meet. In a year or 2 she will push the top fbb for that top spot. However, this weekend I thought she may creep into the 2 spot but Betty held her ground which was well deserved. Zoa is a great talent but compared to 2 of the best in the world the muscle maturity isn't there just yet. Dont get me wrong her shape and structure is by fare one of the best as we speak!!!

Does Betty ever get tired or is she fading???? The answer is no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She is an inspiration to so many!!!! The rest of the lineup was good with Dena Westerfield cracking the top 5. Dena has improved with her legs but will need to continue to do so to compete with the bigger ladies. If there was 2 divisions, Dena may just be at the top of it!
Collete Nelson really impressed me with her condition and shape. She really brought a package that many thought she couldn't do. She proved everyone wrong and is here to stay!!!

Fitness

Well, as I stated Camala would crack the top 3 even while doing badly on her routine. Her words not mine!!! This lady is full of life and talent. She was nervous for her debut and had some issues with her routine however, will get them ironed out for the Arnold. This lady will be a threat to the top fitness ladies in the year to come. Great talent.

Tanji??? She is just awesome!!!!!! What can I say. Julie palmer is and will always be one of the most consistent / talented competitors out there. She will always bring her A game regardless. Well deserved!!! Nita, well, is just a great story in itself. She is what dedication, determination is all about. It took her 10 years to become a Pro and if it takes her 10 years to win the Olympia then, she is ready to do that. The entire fitness group was very competitive. Great group of Pro's!!!!!!

Figure

Well, this was very interesting to say the least. I will give an honest assessment / opinion. From the beginning I thought that Mindi and Felicia would be the standard to compare all the rest of the competitors. It turned out to be just that. However, in my opinion allot of ladies with similar body types to Mindi or Felicia didnt get compared to them. Many in the audience thought that the comparisons where all over with softer and harder ladies in the same groupings. This is difficult to judge when they are compared this way.

I as well was confused as how they where comparing them. I will say in my own opinion, I would of liked to see Linda Fodor, Sabrina Gibson, and Yes Ann Titone and Terlesky compared to Mindi since she was the standard and they all had the same type of athletic look. It may not of made a difference in the outcome however, in my mind its much easier to compare similar body types then comparing different body types. Its like comparing apples to oranges!!! Regardless, Mindi was well deserved in her win. Felicia looked good and was definitely in the mix!! Amy Oneil had the smallest waist I have ever seen. Rose Marie has great presentation and just love her quarter turns.

The rest of the group looked good and it was a tuff show. All the ladies should be proud. Chandra is my new inspiration and I hope that her husband gets much better.

In closing, I talked to allot of the ladies after the show that where confused on their placings, dont be!! Its subjective and can and will always change. My advice to them was, dont let this define you as person. You are living the dream as a IFBB Pro and you are one of the best in the world be proud!!!

Siouxcountry
02-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Awesome review Jack! :awesome: Much appreciated. It was a treat for me to watch this show via webcast thanks to Stryker and his Team! :cool:

In2Fitness
02-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Great recap Jack!

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Great recap, Jack. And for someone fairly new to watching an IFBB show, I learned alot from reading that. Thanks so much! :)

cray17
02-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Love the review, Jack! :)

ezaler
02-22-2010, 04:33 PM
great to meet you Jack !

AnneP
02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for this.

And yes, I agree, would have loved to see some more comparisons. I mean damn, to give extremely right placings you gotta COMPARE these girls, mix them, compare ALWAYS minimum 4th and 5th to 6th and 7th etc. Or did they?

Betsy
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
GReat recap and great attitude!!!!!

fitnita1
02-22-2010, 06:58 PM
you are a truly symbiotic pair, jack and anne. i am so impressed with you each as individuals with both your dynamic personalities and strong presence of spirit, but as a couple, you are genuinely a force to be reckoned with-- sheer power. i had such a pleasure meeting with you to do the interview, but i can't tell you that i meet many people as couples whose energy and commitment to each other seem so indomitable. you will be together forever, it's so obvious how you have each other's back, but being with you, one can certainly observe the comfort and gel you have with one another. you are cozy pals, good friends, strong business partners, and most of all, you just seem terribly in love and respect each other with such honor.... something everyone wishes for but few commit to building. congratulations to you both. your future is a radiant one, filled with joy and prosperity. i am glad to know you, and honored to learn from what you stand for, individually and coupled.

great recap, jack, and anne, you are fabulous, girl.... xo

nita

titonej
02-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone!

Bianca
02-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Really great to read your review Jack.

From what I have read from (and about) you and Anne, you both seem like really passionate and kind people. Sometimes this industry can have an "ugly" side and it's people like you guys (competitors and the behind the scenes people) that make me remember how awesome the people in this industry can be!

Good luck to Anne for her next competition. She should be really proud of herself!

LIFTstudios
02-23-2010, 04:20 AM
Figure
Well, this was very interesting to say the least. I will give an honest assessment / opinion. From the beginning I thought that Mindi and Felicia would be the standard to compare all the rest of the competitors. It turned out to be just that. However, in my opinion allot of ladies with similar body types to Mindi or Felicia didnt get compared to them. Many in the audience thought that the comparisons where all over with softer and harder ladies in the same groupings. This is difficult to judge when they are compared this way.

I as well was confused as how they where comparing them. I will say in my own opinion, I would of liked to see Linda Fodor, Sabrina Gibson, and Yes Ann Titone and Terlesky compared to Mindi since she was the standard and they all had the same type of athletic look. It may not of made a difference in the outcome however, in my mind its much easier to compare similar body types then comparing different body types. Its like comparing apples to oranges!!! Regardless, Mindi was well deserved in her win. Felicia looked good and was definitely in the mix!! Amy Oneil had the smallest waist I have ever seen. Rose Marie has great presentation and just love her quarter turns.

In closing, I talked to allot of the ladies after the show that where confused on their placings, dont be!! Its subjective and can and will always change.

Jack - You mention you are confused with the placings but then go on to tell others not to be confused because it's all subjective. I'm confused as to why you are confused.

I'm curious as to how/why you think Ann and Sabrina should be compared to Mindi. A 13th place and a 10th place finish don't warrant the call-out in my opinion. I would've liked to seen a couple call-outs with the 3-7 place finishers as I feel a couple of those could have been mixed up. Aside from that I think 1 & 2 were pretty obvious when they took the stage in the two-piece round.

titonej
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Jack - You mention you are confused with the placings but then go on to tell others not to be confused because it's all subjective. I'm confused as to why you are confused.

I'm curious as to how/why you think Ann and Sabrina should be compared to Mindi. A 13th place and a 10th place finish don't warrant the call-out in my opinion. I would've liked to seen a couple call-outs with the 3-7 place finishers as I feel a couple of those could have been mixed up. Aside from that I think 1 & 2 were pretty obvious when they took the stage in the two-piece round.

AS I mentioned body shape and conditioning should determine groupings in the callouts! As I mentioned in my opinion callouts with similar body structures make it much easier to compare / judge. When you compare different body structures in a comparison it makes it difficult. If you look closely at each comparison callouts the ladies are preaty mixed up with different body style in each one. Since you mention Ann and Sabrina which both have athletic looks they would benefit being compared to ladies with similiar body styles such as Fodor, terlesky or even Mindi. Not to say the outcome would of been different as I stated but you get a better idea comparing apples to apples not apples to oranges! As well unless Sabrina or Ann have really changed their body style this has been done this way in the past. Example would be the 2009 kENTUCKY Pro where Ann was compared to Rose Marie in their callouts and Ann placed better then Rosa Marie!