PDA

View Full Version : Your honest opinion, please....

ahmitabha
06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I am starting to doubt my efforts are going to pay off on the national level this year in figure. I cannot acquire the beautiful rounded delts I am seeing all the national level champions have in 6 more weeks. Perhaps next year I would be better suited for a national figure show...

I have placed 1st in both bikini and figure in the last year on the local level - should I do bikini in July for the national show or should I stick with figure even though my chances of placing well are more likely in bikini??

I really appreciate any input you can offer!!

Here are some photos...

ahmitabha
06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Haha... I tried to make this a poll - just to get a quick response from more people, nevertheless, if you could even just take a sec to type bikini or figure... Id be much oblidged!

KKKRRR
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I like your bikini look!:thumbsup:

tkokayde
06-10-2010, 09:53 PM
I say Figure.

Please try to remember, the National level shouldn't just be considered a brief stepping stone to the Pro stage. Have fun with it. Treat it as a learning experience. If your heart is in Figure, rock out in Figure on the National stage! Get yourself in the judges' eyes and heads so that as you improve, they see that and take notice! Same for if your heart is in Bikini. Just do what you love and enjoy the ride.

jewelisa
06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
I say Figure.

Please try to remember, the National level shouldn't just be considered a brief stepping stone to the Pro stage. Have fun with it. Treat it as a learning experience. If your heart is in Figure, rock out in Figure on the National stage! Get yourself in the judges' eyes and heads so that as you improve, they see that and take notice! Same for if your heart is in Bikini. Just do what you love and enjoy the ride.

:respect:

titonej
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I am starting to doubt my efforts are going to pay off on the national level this year in figure. I cannot acquire the beautiful rounded delts I am seeing all the national level champions have in 6 more weeks. Perhaps next year I would be better suited for a national figure show...

I have placed 1st in both bikini and figure in the last year on the local level - should I do bikini in July for the national show or should I stick with figure even though my chances of placing well are more likely in bikini??

I really appreciate any input you can offer!!

Here are some photos...

Listen up! You are a Figure girl all the way. A few tweaks in your posing is all you need. Do not get discouraged. Remember it is the art of posing without posing! Confused?????

Continue to practice posing and you can always give me call and I can give you a few free pointers that will help. However, I would recommend some posing at a minimum. We do skype!!!!!!!

tammyp
06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
figure all the waY. you have too much muscle for bikini imo.. you have a great look!

ShawnCarla
06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I would have to agree that you should focus on where you feel most comfortable and not where you're going to place the best. If you love Bikini, do Bikini... if you love Figure, do Figure. You have plenty of muscle to do Figure and as Jack said, it's just a couple posing tweaks and you'd be on fire!
But you can also look very sexy as proven by the Bikini pics. Sooooooo, my conclusion is that you're going to do well in either division as long as you go after it wholeheartedly!

janet kaufman
06-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I say stay with figure.

Siouxcountry
06-11-2010, 02:58 AM
You are closer to figure IMO. If you enjoy competing, compete at the USAs. See what the National level judges think of your physique.

FigureFanatic
06-11-2010, 03:52 AM
FIGURE hehe :)

ripitupbaby
06-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Bikini :o

(you look great in either)

ISABELLE TURELL
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree with Lori You can go either way

BUT.....

Figure is a totally diffrent look from Bikini and looking at the pictures you would ROCK as a figure girl. You do have the look and the body for it

Bikini... you have a beautiful body and cute face! Keep in mind though that the judges are looking for something totally diffrent here. They don't want a hard look with muscle. They want a more softer toned body. The last show here in Indiana there was a girl who had a killer body BUT she was hard as nails and had shredded ripped abs. The girl that won was toned all over and wasn't hard. I would have liked to have her with more meat on her legs.

Kristal
06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
First of all you are HOOOOTTTT!

With that being said...I think you are SO blessed to have the physique you have and I would say go figure. If I had half the shape and size and definition as you I'd go into figure in a heartbeat.

Either way, you're gonna crush the competition in whatever division you are in! :) :bowdown:

Michelle Brent
06-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Ditto figure. Your shoulders are fine!! take Jacks advice and just get your quarter turns down!!

ahmitabha
06-11-2010, 03:44 PM
:sc:

Seriously, where else can you go to get an opinion like this without sounding like a narcissistic freak?? lol...

love you guys and thanks for the responses! Kayde - I think you gave me the perspective I had lost. I forgot about going for the experience and got consumed with placing well. I love figure, I just dont want to embarass myself. I know in a year I could come back and look the way I need to - plus I will have the added confidence of already having a national show under my belt.

Jack, thank you for your input and offer to help with posing. I own every dvd on posing available, but I believe it's different for everybody. I would love to know your thoughts. :)

Thanks to all of you for your supportive words - I am most greatful!:grouphug2:

chicky9914
06-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Those gorgeous legs belong in figure. And you have beautiful shoulders! I totally understand your frustration with em because mine are stubborn too. But, often times the girls with the huge caps on their delts don't have the greatest legs or they lack in another area or they just look out of proportion. You look beautiful and you have no reason to hang your head. Rock it out sister!!

Noel Fuller
06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm going to get blasted for this but fuck it, your not ready for national figure, its not fun to do total prep and not be in top 5 do bikini this year or skip it and bring your A game next year. Too many people try to make a jump beyond there reach in this sport, you have time, dont waste money or muscle doing a show your not ready for.

Powder7
06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I would vote figure, too, and also say what has been said to me many times:

It takes a bit to believe it, but don't add up bodyparts individually; my understanding is that it is more the overall look and balance of the package that you bring than it is for a requirement to have cannonball shoulders.

I feel your pain; I love those bubble shoulders, too! It's hard not to compare yourself to who is placing highest, looking at the separate assets that they seem to have, and saying, "Ah HA!!! It must be the bubble shoulders that I need!" Well, maybe...and maybe not...maybe you need them for your best look overall, and maybe you need tweaking elsewhere, instead.

If you were first place, someone might look at you and say, "Oh, she has a waist, that's why. You gotta have that waist." But it's your overall package-- not the waist! So instead of the girl with a thick waist saying, "oh I can never compete," she works on building her back up to help achieve that nice taper to balance her out.

But, you'll see across the board that there are top 5 gals with smaller caps, wider waists, smaller legs, a bit softer in the back, and some with monster caps.....what matters is what looks best on THAT GIRL, then how she compares in her overall package to her competition's overall package.

I think that's why we get so confused with results: we want a 'prototype'. But I don't think that's how it's judged. It's an overall appearance....does this girl have balance, aesthetics, conditioning, femininity, does she look like the same girl from top to bottom, left to right...is there no exceptional area that swallows the whole look, and no real standout weak area, is her upper as developed as her lower--is there balance there? And finally, the girl could be as perfect as she can be, and someone else is better. And that leaves her confused, "What can I improve?" Well, you might be at your best, but someone else is better. Just the way competition goes, and this is why you gotta love it no matter what! I think it is more like that.

Anyway, my 2 cents :) And I say figure. ;)

epolis
06-12-2010, 11:57 PM
VERY well-said, Tara. A lot of people get frustrated because they don't feel like they know what the judges are looking for, but it varies from individual to individual, show to show. Some people think the more MASS the better, but that's also not necessarily true. I've seen girls who have less muscle win overall simply becaues they were perfectly proportioned and well-balanced. The girl who won overall at my local show was a little bit of a thing, but she was extremly well-balanced. Even though I had more mass than she did, my lower half overpowered my upper half. Symmetry is key, NOT mass. If you're well-balanced ALL OVER, you'll be in good standing to place well. Enjoy the ride, love whatever you choose, and that will also help you own that stage. I say figure :)

ahmitabha
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, I rolled the dice and went to a show in CA to try bikini again.

I did not place - I was too lean/hard.

I still want to do Bikini at Master's Nationals - but I really like my physique, and feel it's odd to 'dumb down' my training to look soft.

Here is the girl that won my class...(the blonde)

And Khay won overall. In my opinion, Khay looks tight and seems only slightly less lean than myself.

As far as training/diet -is this smoother look something I can achieve with diet in the final week? Sorta like the opposite for figure? Up my sodium to hold more water and smooth out??

Judges - can you add any other critique that may help me improve?

ahmitabha
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Backside...

Yup, not a photo with me arching my back, I am aware I need to lift the booty... Khay's backside is untouchable! :respect:

ahmitabha
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
....But you cant say I didn't look like I was having fun out there - I had a blast! :D

MGreene
06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I think you look fabulous! With that said I agree with above post that you have to go where your heart is and compete where you REALLY feel the most comfortable. I think you are hard/lean and have great muscle def and should stick with figure. We need to remember this sport is so subjective and we always want to improve/place well but don't drive yourself nuts because in the end you need to be happy with what your presenting on stage.
It's hard to judge yourself but you are quite a bit leaner/harder then Khay ;)

ShawnCarla
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
sorry double post

ShawnCarla
06-28-2010, 07:07 PM
You'll drive yourself crazy comparing yourself to the others. This sport is SO subjective ESPECIALLY bikini, you could do great in one show and come with the same look to another and do horrible in the placings. I've talked to judges about this because I'm switching to bikini as well and the best thing they can tell me is that the girl just has it or she doesn't. There aren't any specific things they can point to to do or not to do. And they all said that coming in too lean is better then too soft... now what that means exactly... I don't know. So while looking at these photos I honestly think you were having the most fun up there, who knows what the judges actually saw. Don't beat yourself up over this show, you look great! If you feel like you're "dumbing down" your physique for bikini though, that probably indicates you should be on the figure stage. You need to bring your best to the stage each time... so maybe your best is in figure.

Maeg13
06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Holly - I think you pull off the bikini and figure crossover quite well, honestly. Not many girls can do both. However I agree with Kayde...Follow your heart and have FUN. I understand we all have the competitive itch and you wanna make the right move to go far but we often times we lose sight of the enjoyment that this sport provides. Dont miss out on it...So rock that bod on the National stage with whatever is in YOUR HEART. Whatever happens, you will succeed.
And I also agree with Jack, although HE is the professional and I am not....but posing can change your ENTIRE package on stage.

Good luck beautiful!

ahmitabha
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Hmmm....

Well I am anxious to hear from the judges because the girl who won Bikini overall in that show last year was also in my class and didn't place. IMO, I thought she had 'it'.

Gymgrrl
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
I was at the show Saturday and recognized you right off the bat :)

I thought you looked fantastic and presented yourself very well. You did look like you were having a blast!

I was shocked when you weren't top 5, but assumed it was because you were too lean/too much muscle.

I definitely think you should follow your heart. I vote figure, though! All the way. :)

ahmitabha
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I was at the show Saturday and recognized you right off the bat :)

I thought you looked fantastic and presented yourself very well. You did look like you were having a blast!

I was shocked when you weren't top 5, but assumed it was because you were too lean/too much muscle.

I definitely think you should follow your heart. I vote figure, though! All the way. :)

Haha! That's cool! Thanks for the kind words - I appreciate it! I met Damien at the show - he said figure too, but that I wasnt ready for a national show yet...

ShawnCarla
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Hmmm....

Well I am anxious to hear from the judges because the girl who won Bikini overall in that show last year was also in my class and didn't place. IMO, I thought she had 'it'.

Yeah that's what's so frustrating... you never know. I mean look at the girl (her name escapes me right now) who won her bikini class at Jr Nats... she didn't even place the week before at the Garden State... to go from nothing to first in one week... only in bikini! lol

ejmcompany@mac.com
06-29-2010, 12:59 AM
Well I'm not a judge , but I did stay in a Holiday Inn one time...:)

IMHO bikini is not just about the body ... They are looking for head to toe... When I look at the pics you posted, I made a few observations that anyone can agree with or tell me to Fu#k off...

You have amazing hair but I think you can do better with presentation there... Look at the winner and how her hair looks. Also look at her make-up compared to yours... I think she was better there as well...

You also mentioned she has an amazing ass but you do too... I think a combo of a better bikini pose and a different cut on your suit bottom would have really made you look different... I think there is a better cut for you...

I don't know if the results would have been different, but I think a few little tweaks could have made it a pretty tough call even if you are harder ect...

And like all the others have said, go with what makes you happy... You will be great I'm sure!

chicky9914
06-29-2010, 01:51 AM
Idk I still look at your physique and think that you look really good in figure. You're able to achieve a level of leaness that a lot of women can't. And your legs are ripped...I love it. Kinda reminds me of Stacy Thompson, and she's crossing over into figure. Have you talked to any judges at that show? Even though you're leaner than the others, I still would have put you much higher. You have a SERIOUSLY ROCKIN BOD. Do not get discouraged. You have and amazing physique and you will get your shining moment very soon, whether it's on the figure or bikini stage!

FemFlex
06-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Eat some twinkies, drop your cardio a bit, don't cut your water and then cruise on into bikini nationals and become the standard.

While I know the judges determine the look you need from show-to-show, I agree with the poster who said you will drive yourself nuts if you're always chasing the look of the last show's winner.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

AnneP
06-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Figure.

ahmitabha
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
First call outs... & Second call outs...

How is it on the local level judges want a softer look but on the pro level we have FIGURE PROS switching to bikini???

chicky9914
06-29-2010, 01:42 PM
First call outs... & Second call outs...

How is it on the local level judges want a softer look but on the pro level we have FIGURE PROS switching to bikini???

Based on that picture alone I would definitely have to disagree with those callouts. You and last year's winner (to your right) and the girl to the far right look far better than those in the first callout (no offense to them). It's clear what the judges at the local level in your area want though - less muscle. Interesting though, because I think on a national level you'd be pretty competitive in bikini, where the girls all seem to be tight with defined abs. On a side note - I would agree that you could probably pose a little bit better to accentuate what a rockin bod you have.

ShawnCarla
06-29-2010, 02:40 PM
You do have to remember that Bikini is more then just a physique contest. They judge on the over-all package, presence, etc. You DO have a banging bod but who knows why they chose the other girls in the 1st call out... maybe they just shook what they had a bit better.
I have watched Bikini competitions and I can say that sometimes the girls with the best bodies didn't place BUT they way they walked on that stage you could just tell they were going to win. I'm not trying to tear you down at all! You look great! What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop wishing you could change the judges' decision and focus on the future. You can't change the results of this contest, but if you let it get to you, it WILL effect you in the future. Focus on you next show and bring it just like you have been.
One judge said it best, "You want to win, you have to just keep showing up." They are only judging you on what they see during that short period of time, a day later the decisions could flip flop.
Seriously, you're going to drive yourself nuts trying to figure out something that has no clear answer!

ahmitabha
06-29-2010, 04:39 PM
You do have to remember that Bikini is more then just a physique contest. They judge on the over-all package, presence, etc. You DO have a banging bod but who knows why they chose the other girls in the 1st call out... maybe they just shook what they had a bit better.
I have watched Bikini competitions and I can say that sometimes the girls with the best bodies didn't place BUT they way they walked on that stage you could just tell they were going to win. I'm not trying to tear you down at all! You look great! What I'm trying to say is that you need to stop wishing you could change the judges' decision and focus on the future. You can't change the results of this contest, but if you let it get to you, it WILL effect you in the future. Focus on you next show and bring it just like you have been.
One judge said it best, "You want to win, you have to just keep showing up." They are only judging you on what they see during that short period of time, a day later the decisions could flip flop.
Seriously, you're going to drive yourself nuts trying to figure out something that has no clear answer!

I appreciate your responses - I think you are reading me wrong.

There are no sour grapes here. I even told my friend I was likely too lean for this show. I get it. I am not saying I should have won - there were other girls in 2nd call outs who I thought would have placed. I am looking at the overall judging from this show vs the national or pro level and confused by the variation in looks that are placing - just like in figure - there have been threads regarding the confusion of how the judging varies on each level. That is all.

I am also well aware of how the model walk plays a big part in the judging of bikini. I have done more bikini shows than figure shows - I have read/researched a lot on this division.

I will just drop it - I guess Im not expressing myself appropriately.

ShawnCarla
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I appreciate your responses - I think you are reading me wrong.

There are no sour grapes here. I even told my friend I was likely too lean for this show. I get it. I am not saying I should have won - there were other girls in 2nd call outs who I thought would have placed. I am looking at the overall judging from this show vs the national or pro level and confused by the variation in looks that are placing - just like in figure - there have been threads regarding the confusion of how the judging varies on each level. That is all.

I am also well aware of how the model walk plays a big part in the judging of bikini. I have done more bikini shows than figure shows - I have read/researched a lot on this division.

I will just drop it - I guess Im not expressing myself appropriately.

I understand... we've all had our "what the hell" moments with competition placings. :nuts:
I don't want you to think I'm dragging you down either... quite the opposite. I think you look great and I just want you to understand that this was just ONE show. And not to get down on yourself or let it effect you negatively.
Regardless of the local or the pro levels, the placings are going to be different because you're always going to have different judges. Trust me, I wish there was a formula that said x+y=z, but there's not unfortunately. So we just have to take what critiques we can and try to use them to our advantage.
Remember that YOU ROCK and focus on that! :kiss:

fitchiq
06-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Figure all the way hun! Your legs are OFF the CHAIN and I would HATE to see you soften those lovely stallion-esque legs!!!!

FIGURE! FIGURE! FIGURE!!!