PDA

View Full Version : is anyone else bummed...

gymdiva
02-19-2008, 08:52 PM
that fitness will only be at THREE national level shows this year? :(

Siouxcountry
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
that fitness will only be at THREE national level shows this year? :(

That does suck.

Anyone know why they don't have fitness at the USAs?

gymdiva
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
not sure...did it used to have it back in the day?

and I hate that the new format now makes natls and usa's essentially the same show (minues the procard availability from a bbing standpoint for men and women)...

Shelly
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
i dont get why fitness isnt in all of the big shows???

gymdiva
02-19-2008, 09:34 PM
I know b/c it's so much fun to watch the routines!

IslandGirl
02-20-2008, 05:00 AM
I love watching the fitness routines.

It's hard to judge the routine tho'! You miss alot when you look down to jot down notes. So I have to make quick tally marks without looking down when I judge. It's quite hilarious! lol!

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 05:01 AM
hahahaha...are you allowed to have a blank piece and maybe write as you watch? or would that be just as amusing? ;)

IslandGirl
02-20-2008, 05:02 AM
hahahaha...are you allowed to have a blank piece and maybe write as you watch? or would that be just as amusing? ;)

Just as. lol!

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 05:03 AM
hahahahaha well now I want to see this...

IslandGirl
02-20-2008, 05:06 AM
:LOLOL:

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 06:37 PM
so with the way they revamped the natl level shows for fitness, it should make the classes larger...but do you think the new layout will only further discourage competitors now in an already dwindling sport?

Siouxcountry
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
so with the way they revamped the natl level shows for fitness, it should make the classes larger...but do you think the new layout will only further discourage competitors now in an already dwindling sport?

I think we will see more figure competitors move over to fitness, such as Erin did last year.

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 06:57 PM
hmm, not sure I totally agree with that one...seems like most avoid that switch b/c of the routine...which is funny b/c that's the main reason why I'm switching...hahaha...

Quadrablue
02-20-2008, 07:44 PM
I thought you guys had a Fitness & Figure Nationals, no? We do and it's been a success.

HDPhysiques-Joe
02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Girls are probably quitting fitness left and right because they realize TigerEyes is gonna whup their asses this year! :)

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 08:20 PM
they changed things up...team u is now fitness natls and fitness is gone from natls...figure has replaced it...but it's still at every show with procards...each fitness show has at least one procard up for grabs but I think it went from four shows with 10 cards to three shows with 8 cards this year...something like that anyway...

gymdiva
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Girls are probably quitting fitness left and right because they realize TigerEyes is gonna whup their asses this year! :)

what class is she so I'll know whether to be scared or not ;)

Quadrablue
02-20-2008, 08:33 PM
they changed things up...team u is now fitness natls and fitness is gone from natls...figure has replaced it...but it's still at every show with procards...each fitness show has at least one procard up for grabs but I think it went from four shows with 10 cards to three shows with 8 cards this year...something like that anyway...

Ah Well be grateful. Like bbing, you only get one shot a year to get your card here. Unless they are feeling generous and decide to give out a second one

TigerEyes
02-20-2008, 10:05 PM
I would love to see more figure (or bodybuilding...ahem, Sharon) women make the switch to fitness.
I did figure for one show--- but to be honest, the plan all along was for me to do fitness. I decided on figure for my first show because I just wanted to go through a prep diet, get in shape and get on stage. Adding the routine training in for that first show would have just been way too much. AND, I needed my body to be in better shape before I could start pounding on it with the routine training.

I was a gymnast for 15 years. I love to perform. Performing a routine on stage in front of a crowd, and hearing the audience go nuts over some back handsprings is AWESOME. I don't think I've ever had as much fun during a competition as I did at Team Universe when I performed my routine at the pre-judging Friday night :D

And you don't have to be a gymnast to put together a great routine....two of the best examples are Adela and Tanji...both have AMAZING routines,and I don't think either has any sort of gymnastics background.

So gymdiva, am I reading this right...you will be doing fitness next year?!
If, so, congrats....you will LOVE IT!!

TigerEyes
02-20-2008, 10:07 PM
And to stay somewhat on topic....

I'm kinda bummed that there are only 7 Pro Fitness shows to choose from this year (and 2 of them are the Arnold and Olympia...so really just 5).

I would imagine it is because the numbers are down in fitness (which led to them cancelling the arkansas show).....but still, there are something like 14 figure shows...I wish they could add fitness to a few of them :D

Alli
02-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Its sad. Fitness is such a thrilling sport and I really enjoy watching it. Its extremly entertaining..... I LOVED being at the women's show at the Arnold last year!!

gymdiva
02-21-2008, 04:03 AM
oh yeah, I forgot Tiger Eyes was Erin! :D

yep, you read correctly...I am making the switch over this year...it's what I've wanted to do from the beginning...hard to fight the genetics of a lower for bbing but the upper has been fitness all along...hahahaha...

I can understand with fitness competitors dropping like flies that there'd be less shows but I don't know, I'm just not seeing much effort on the part of promoters or advertisers to use more fitness gals and really get it back out in the spotlight again...I'm with Tanji...regardless of whether I stay fitness or not...I don't want to see it die!!!

TigerEyes
02-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Gymdiva....Very Cool!!! What shows are you planning on doing? I'm excited to see what you come up with for the routines. For some reason, I have a feeling you will come up with something interesting and unique ;)

I think there are a few reasons why women don't choose to compete in fitness. Most women feel that they need a gymnastics background to do the routine, which is 100% not true. I do gymnastics in my routines because it's something I'm good at. I would not do hip-hop dancing or break dancing or something like that because I am not good at it, so people would probably laugh at me :o. But, all you really need to do is use what you are good at (whatever it may be....dance, cheerleading, martial arts, etc-) and come up with something that will be entertaining and exciting for the audience.

Second, women view training for fitness as more time consuming because you have to put as much effort into the routine as you do the lifting and cardio. I was able to work the routine training into my cardio and strength training, so I didn't think it really took any more time.

Lastly (and unfortunately), fitness is actually more expensive as well. We still have to buy both suits, and then there is the routine costume and music and choreography....and it really can get pricey.

But overall, I LOVE fitness, because it's not just about "the look." You also have to train to be flexible and powerful.....essentially, not only do you need to look fit, but you have to BE fit.

It really is an incredibly rewarding sport, and I really wish we could promote it better to get more women involved.

gymdiva
02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
omg I totally agree with all of it! I was under the impression back in the day that you had to tumble b/c the top competitors were Kelly Ryan, Jen H, and my fav Jenny Worth...I was on our hip-hop dance team in high school and LOVED every second of it...and now that I know more about the likes of Adela and Tanji and the use of more strength moves and strong transition moves I feel more confident that it's something I can do...and while I still had a routine for bbing I really missed the kind of performance value that fitness offers...and yeah, the cute outfits! hahahaha...

and I have two ideas bouncing in my head...I think one of them would be pretty funny...the other I think mostly friends would understand but still has potential to be good...it certainly would be fun to dress for!

Shelly
02-21-2008, 03:58 PM
i give you fitness chicas a lot of credit i can barely touch my toes LOL

gymdiva
02-21-2008, 04:03 PM
hahahaha so many people tell me that at work! I went into the yoga room last night to stretch after some cardio and this girl in there kept shooting me darts b/c I was flexible...hahahaha not my fault! well, maybe it is...I just work on it every day...still got work to do on my right split...and I keep working on even higher kicks...I was just blessed with some flexible hamstrings...now my back...ok now that's a different story...I have the stiffest back known to man!

gymdiva
02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
oh! Erin I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question about shows...mainly b/c I'm not sure anymore...hehehehe...I was originally aiming for two local shows but now, well, I'm thinking something else...a lot will be decided arnold weekend...