PDA

View Full Version : Letter from the NPC

SBT
05-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey guys!! Well most of you know I used to live in TX, so I have always been subscribed to the NPC mailing list from there, so I get the occasional e-mail, which I did just now and wanted to share the letter....

Greeting All TX NPC Figure Competitors,

This update is specifically for you as it pertains to the new judging criteria
we at the NPC are judging. For the past year you have been hearing rumors or
directly from me that judging will move toward a softer athletic look in figure
instead of the muscular, lean look. Well, we kicked off the national
competition year with the Jr. USA in Charleston and true to our word we set the
stage for local and national level judging. The look is soft and athletic. I
suggest that you go on-line to examine pictures of this past weekends
competition. With the exception of Figure Class D as it was too lean and hard,
but we didn't have anything else to judge in that class. But all others are
representative of the new look.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Train hard and demonstrate sportsmanship always,

Lee Thompson
N.P.C . Texas District Chairman/IFBB Judge
8515 Rue De Maison
Missouri City, TX 77459

Shelly
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
wow...hmmmmmmm so class D didnt have what they were looking for? WEIRD!

And thanks for sharing that with us!

SBT
05-19-2008, 09:28 PM
Of course mama :kiss:

JasonLannigan
05-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Shannon! :)

HDPhysiques-Joe
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
It's a very simple formula....

"Soft and athletic" = easy to attain = more girls think they can do the sport = more entry fees, more NPC card fees, more family members attending shows, etc..... it all comes down to $$$$.

Nevermind the fact that this will only make judging even more inconsistent, and those that work hard or have superior genetics, could be punished for being "too hard/muscular" (in other words, too good). More quality competitors who have worked hard for years will just be lost in an ever increasingly large lineup, too.

Does anyone really think this is a good idea?

By the way, I'm not knocking anyone who did well in this past weekend's show in figure. I know they all worked hard and looked great. I just disagree with the DIRECTION of the sport of figure. Funny how they want soft, yet Lee says "train hard". You don't NEED to train hard to look soft!!!!

jasons805
05-19-2008, 10:16 PM

"Soft and athletic" = easy to attain = more girls think they can do the sport = more entry fees, more NPC card fees, more family members attending shows, etc..... it all comes down to $$$$.

Nevermind the fact that this will only make judging even more inconsistent, and those that work hard or have superior genetics, could be punished for being "too hard/muscular" (in other words, too good). More quality competitors who have worked hard for years will just be lost in an ever increasingly large lineup, too.

By the way, I'm not knocking anyone who did well in this past weekend's show in figure. I know they all worked hard and looked great. I just disagree with the DIRECTION of the sport of figure. Funny how they want soft, yet Lee says "train hard". You don't NEED to train hard to look soft!!!!
We sorta touched on this last nite, and I agree. It's going to make it even harder to figure out who busted there ass, and who just came in soft.

grlslifthvy2
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
We sorta touched on this last nite, and I agree. It's going to make it even harder to figure out who busted there ass, and who just came in soft.

You can definantly tell by watching the girls walk. If they busted their ass, it wont jiggle, but the look can still be firm and athletic.

SBT
05-20-2008, 01:53 AM
BUMP!!!

bree marsh
05-20-2008, 01:54 AM
the statement about D class is very misleading! out of 34 girls...all of them were too lean and hard?? hhhmmmm. i don't think i was!

SweetCapri
05-20-2008, 01:56 AM
I'll be honest here. My first reaction when I read the note was disappointment and I thought to myself "I better start eating more and switch to bodybuilding".
soft + athletic = bikini contest. But thats just my thought.

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey guys!! Well most of you know I used to live in TX, so I have always been subscribed to the NPC mailing list from there, so I get the occasional e-mail, which I did just now and wanted to share the letter....

Greeting All TX NPC Figure Competitors,

This update is specifically for you as it pertains to the new judging criteria
we at the NPC are judging. For the past year you have been hearing rumors or
directly from me that judging will move toward a softer athletic look in figure
instead of the muscular, lean look. Well, we kicked off the national
competition year with the Jr. USA in Charleston and true to our word we set the
stage for local and national level judging. The look is soft and athletic. I
suggest that you go on-line to examine pictures of this past weekends
competition. With the exception of Figure Class D as it was too lean and hard,
but we didn't have anything else to judge in that class. But all others are
representative of the new look.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Train hard and demonstrate sportsmanship always,

Lee Thompson
N.P.C . Texas District Chairman/IFBB Judge
8515 Rue De Maison
Missouri City, TX 77459

Can sum1 delete my post "Figure gurls UPDATE..."

SBT
05-20-2008, 02:11 AM
Can sum1 delete my post "Figure gurls UPDATE..."

I had already done that, right before I bumped this one ;)

KP DIVA
05-20-2008, 02:31 AM
That says alot of about the Texas Chairman. He took a few minutes to atleast address the topic. I've never rec'd anything personal from our state Chairman.

yettamae
05-20-2008, 02:43 AM
OK now I definately think NPC figure is going bikini after reading this. Screw doing 6 days of cardio and all this anal clean eating. I think I may go out and have my after the show pizza and beer now! :eat::awesome: lol

yettamae
05-20-2008, 02:45 AM
You can definantly tell by watching the girls walk. If they busted their ass, it wont jiggle, but the look can still be firm and athletic.

:rolf: I do agree. There are been some local shows where girls had saddlebags take first and overall over a conditioned athelete. Its almost like a slap in the face really rewarding someone, who looked like they didn't even tough a weight. It's insane.

SBT
05-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Well its not like that in Michigan by far!!! :pout:

I think I was one of the smallest chicks on the stage last year, so we'll see if this holds true for this year here!!

yettamae
05-20-2008, 03:20 AM
Well its not like that in Michigan by far!!! :pout:

I think I was one of the smallest chicks on the stage last year, so we'll see if this holds true for this year here!!

I guess it just depends on the show and who shows up that day. NPC wanted even the figure to downsize there muscle as well as conditioning, so we shall see. I was looking at the show that I will be doing and from the photos I have seen most look like they never touched a dumbbell and some of the posing wasn't so good either. There may have been 1 or 2 nicely conditioned girls from me skimming through photos, but they didn't place high. My posing coach told me that the second show that I will be doing the girls in my class have been pretty stacked in previous years, so I may have my work cut out for me. I am just going to in with the best package I can offer. If all the girls are muscular and hard they have to judge accordingly. If most are soft and "toned" they have to judge accordingly, but I think it is a slap in the face for competitor with a tight butt to get placed down to a competitor who has a jiggly one.

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 03:30 AM
I guess it just depends on the show and who shows up that day. NPC wanted even the figure to downsize there muscle as well as conditioning, so we shall see. I was looking at the show that I will be doing and from the photos I have seen most look like they never touched a dumbbell and some of the posing wasn't so good either. There may have been 1 or 2 nicely conditioned girls from me skimming through photos, but they didn't place high. My posing coach told me that the second show that I will be doing the girls in my class have been pretty stacked in previous years, so I may have my work cut out for me. I am just going to in with the best package I can offer. If all the girls are muscular and hard they have to judge accordingly. If most are soft and "toned" they have to judge accordingly, but I think it is a slap in the face for competitor with a tight butt to get placed down to a competitor who has a jiggly one.

HOw can they feel good about themselves awarding a jiggly bootie over a tight one?

yettamae
05-20-2008, 03:55 AM
HOw can they feel good about themselves awarding a jiggly bootie over a tight one?

I guess it doesn't effect them much or at all. If the competitors don't meet the standards of what they are looking for then I guess they have every right to give props to the softer girl. Especially since soft is what they are looking for right now. But other things have to factor in the overall package does she have poise, suit selection, hair, makeup, etc. So that means more twinkeys for me and less cardio! lol On the serious tip I wonder if this may have an effect on future female bbing. I wonder if NPC will go in the direction of ol' Ms Olymipa days: shape, symmetry, and conditioning over size and conditioning.

Meechel
05-20-2008, 04:09 AM

:spit:

Meechel
05-20-2008, 04:10 AM
I'll be honest here. My first reaction when I read the note was disappointment and I thought to myself "I better start eating more and switch to bodybuilding".
soft + athletic = bikini contest. But thats just my thought.

A friend just competed in bikini contest and they look nothing like the softest girl up there this weekend. they are "toned"

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 04:22 AM
I guess it doesn't effect them much or at all. If the competitors don't meet the standards of what they are looking for then I guess they have every right to give props to the softer girl. Especially since soft is what they are looking for right now. But other things have to factor in the overall package does she have poise, suit selection, hair, makeup, etc. So that means more twinkeys for me and less cardio! lol On the serious tip I wonder if this may have an effect on future female bbing. I wonder if NPC will go in the direction of ol' Ms Olymipa days: shape, symmetry, and conditioning over size and conditioning.

That would be awesome...Those chics ROCKED the stage!!!

LIFTstudios
05-20-2008, 04:25 AM
HOw can they feel good about themselves awarding a jiggly bootie over a tight one?No jiggling booties will be rewarded. You're all kinda over exaggerating things here. The look is to get back to a HEALTHY, athletic, muscular and FEMININE look. Lenay who won the overall was a perfect example. People would hardly say she is soft or not muscular in the general population. Look at Jennifer Cowan - the female bodybuilding winner. She exemplified what a female bodybuilder should look like.

Bottom line is the judges are rewarding women who are muscular, athletic and healthy looking. It's a step in the right direction and one that should be applauded not condemned.

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 04:31 AM
No jiggling booties will be rewarded. You're all kinda over exaggerating things here. The look is to get back to a HEALTHY, athletic, muscular and FEMININE look. Lenay who won the overall was a perfect example. People would hardly say she is soft or not muscular in the general population. Look at Jennifer Cowan - the female bodybuilding winner. She exemplified what a female bodybuilder should look like.

Bottom line is the judges are rewarding women who are muscular, athletic and healthy looking. It's a step in the right direction and one that should be applauded not condemned.

i was just referring to a post that was made...
But Ive seen jiggly booties awarded b4...come to TX and see...smile

yettamae
05-20-2008, 04:33 AM
That would be awesome...Those chics ROCKED the stage!!!

It looks like they may be going that way. If that is the case maybe I'll give bb a whirl. I love the bbers of the 80's like Carla Dunlap and Cory Everson...even Bev Francis even though she wasn't natty. After watching pumping iron 2 that's what motivated me to want to get into bbing. I was told that I had good genetics to do bbing being short and shocky, but I shyed away from it bc I told in order to do well I would have to use and I am a opera singer, so that ain't happening. So then I found figure then been hooked ever since. I was actually told that I have a cross over body, by alot of people. At my very first show I was told by a judge that I have a figure body and to stick to figure, but I am still leaving bbing open one day. I don't know if I have the balls to do a routine though and if I do plan on doing a show it will definately be natural.

SBT
05-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Just checked pics from the show here in Michigan two weeks ago, and ummm apparently the judges here need to read this letter, because the winner was pretty shredded IMO.

yettamae
05-20-2008, 04:38 AM
Just checked pics from the show here in Michigan two weeks ago, and ummm apparently the judges here need to read this letter, because the winner was pretty shredded IMO.

They had to of known. These talks have been going after the Arnold. The judges have no say on who shows up the day. If most of the competitors are conditioned the winner is going to be conditioned and verse versa. So maybe that's what happened.

Here is the letter that was sent after the Arnold:

IFBB Pro Figure competitors received a letter from Chairman Jim Manion last week, suggesting that there is a need for competitors to tone down what he described as "excessive hardness and muscular separation."

IFBB Chairman Jim Manion sent out a directive letter to IFBB pro figure athletes and most received those letters this week. Reading directly: "After the first figure event for 2008, the Figure International, the IFBB Professional League wants to see less muscularity and hardness in the figure competitors. The Deltoids are too big and cut and the thigh cuts are too deep. The next IFBB professional figure event is the 2008 IFBB Pittsburgh Pro Figure to be held on May 3rd, 2008 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Beginning with this event the judges will be marking down competitors with excessive hardness and muscular separation."

It is unusual to see that athletes have even been asked to tone down one of the most defining characteristics of figure competitions, big and defined deltoids that create the coveted X-shape and Y-shape physiques.

Reached for comment, a national level IFBB judge indicated that he expects that most judges will be towing the line - in the short term. "These things always come and go in cycles. The figure physiques on stage at the Arnold were not particularly big or hard by historical standards, so this is an unusual time to be sending out this letter. In the long run everyone gravitates toward rewarding the best competitors on stage - big or small, hard or soft - and I am of the belief that these things should not matter, it should always be about who is the best package on stage at that particular time."

"Right now the figure competitors are nowhere near the size or hardness of the female bodybuilders, there is a huge gap and there are a lot of people caught in the middle. There needs to be something out there for athletes who want to be the best and present excellence, but do not wish to be bodybuilders or to flex openly on stage. Softening competitors up definitely also does not add to the mainstream popularity of the sport, in fact the opposite is the case in my experience. People want to see the best bodies, not the fitness models they can see all over television or in the magazine swimsuit issues. It's the best bodies that sell tickets."

"But there is the prevailing attitude out there that getting figure competitors bigger and harder requires certain types of supplementation, which is simply not true and is just a little bit sexist (but not intentionally) if you think about it. These incredible women can accomplish muscularity and hardness like we sometimes see on the pro stage with hard work, training, dieting, and over the counter supplements."

Stay tuned to Bodybuilding Weekly for extensive coverage of the IFBB Pittsburgh Figure Pro on May 3rd, where the physique directives will see their first test. The event is run by Jim Manion himself so it is likely that we will see some markdowns and that the judging will abide by the directives.

http://www.bodybuildingweekly.com/index.php?news=272

Check it out the interview from Figure & Fitness Talk Radio:

More infomation of where figure is going. The NPC judge who wrote the letter is interviewed. He doesn't think the figure competitors should pump up at all! And he said that the judges are basically looking for a very, very symmetrical pretty girl w/ tone. Period.

http://www.bodysport.com/radio/shows/eight/player.html

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 05:04 AM

I wanna see what Michigan does in the COLD..smile

bree marsh
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM
No jiggling booties will be rewarded. You're all kinda over exaggerating things here. The look is to get back to a HEALTHY, athletic, muscular and FEMININE look. Lenay who won the overall was a perfect example. People would hardly say she is soft or not muscular in the general population. Look at Jennifer Cowan - the female bodybuilding winner. She exemplified what a female bodybuilder should look like.

totally agree...i think the key word here is HEALTHY, not soft! many girls are going crazy cause they think they are going to have to look fat! not the case ladies! i personally think they are looking more at symmentry, overall shape, health and presentation....they do not want jiggly butts!!!

Pdees
05-20-2008, 02:17 PM

I agree totally. All of the winners the past weekend sure look like they diet and train hard to me...to say they don't is ridiculous. This is figure and it's not about who is the leanest or most muscular.

Betsy
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree totally. All of the winners the past weekend sure look like they diet and train hard to me...to say they don't is ridiculous. This is figure and it's not about who is the leanest or most muscular.

:awesome: i agree

Suzanne
05-20-2008, 02:28 PM
the statement about D class is very misleading! out of 34 girls...all of them were too lean and hard?? hhhmmmm. i don't think i was!

you looked great
you had slight quads, ham and glute definition so to npc i guess that is too lean and hard?????????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Amber
05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
At least they sent you a letter as heads up, here in Cali they just 'surprised' us! LOL My last show 2 weeks ago i was very very confused!! :rolleyes:

Amber
05-20-2008, 05:55 PM

Bingo

HDPhysiques-Joe
05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
totally agree...i think the key word here is HEALTHY, not soft!

Lee used the word soft. And while I agree with Patricia, "it's not about who' the hardest or most muscular", it should sure as hell be more towards lean and muscular than SOFT!

Andersen
05-20-2008, 07:56 PM

I personally would applaud this notion, as I am one who believe bigger is not better.

Now if certainly athletes can carry lot of size and still look good in every aspect then that is great. But to ask every who gets into BB, or Fitness & Figure to have the same look is ridiculous. The competitors of a particular size should not always win every contest they enter. Small, Medium, and Large athletes should all have equal opportunity to be successful if they have a total package.

I think ultimately it should come down to condition regardless of the size.
If someone 5'0 110 lbs. is showing enough detail to the best, she should win.
Vise-versa with medium 5'5 140 lbs. and larger 5'10 170 lbs. girls as well.

Reality is everyone is different in size, but can be similar in condition.
Ultimately it should be about being healther and not overdoing anything.

I think Jenny Lynn is perfect example of that in figure as is Tanya Merryman in fitness.

And now Jen Cowan, Cathy LeFrancois, and Debbie Bramwell are good ones in BB.

DixieReynolds
05-21-2008, 02:16 AM
At least they sent you a letter as heads up, here in Cali they just 'surprised' us! LOL My last show 2 weeks ago i was very very confused!! :rolleyes:

I didnt get a letter either! And as for class D being too hard... all 6 top 6 Arnold competitors were here and not one placed in the top 5 here. SOme didnt place at all. I dont think that I am over muscular but obviously I was too lean for this contest and I was fuller than I was the AC, so I dont think our class was at all too lean and hard, but thats my opinion. It just leaves you a bit confused when they contradict themselves to such an extreme. There were a few placings in some of the classes that were a bit questionable, but there were others that werent. That is always the case though where figure is concerned at least at one point throughout the year. I myself plan to continue down the same path I have been on and make the improvements I wish to make in order to make me happy. Hopefully I will find a compromise that both myself and the judges like.

SBT
05-21-2008, 02:47 AM
That letter just came YESTERDAY!

dvsness
05-21-2008, 02:52 AM
:stir:

brandiewilliams
05-30-2008, 01:27 AM
Someone said this to me and it got me thinking, "Consider the fact that there were over 150 figure girls at the Jr. USA, and around 15 fbb. The sport of female bodybuilding is slowly dying because so many women are afraid to try it. Given the standards that in the past few years, a lot of the women were looking too masculine. Then along came figure, and every girl on God's green earth started competing. So maybe they are trying to push the hard, muscular girls toward fbb. And maybe by awarding Jennifer Cowan the overall title(no offense to Jennifer cause she WAS right on target with her peak and completely deserved it!), the judges wanted to set an example." I don't know, either way, I like how I came in and I'll just keep working on my shoulders for Nationals.:showoff:

I am curious to know, how many competitors were at the Jr USA and were COMPLETELY thrown off by changing up how we pose while we're in line up to go out on stage?!:wtf: This was my first National level show, but after all the hours spent practicing the poses that best showed my physique, we get YELLED at ON STAGE to "put our arms down" and if we didn't, "It's only going to hurt you". WOW! After looking at pics of myself, I could spit!:spit: I should've just kept doing what I've always done. I know, cry me a river.

fitmomma3
05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Figure posing is not the only posing to have changed if you have been going to the local NPC shows over the last years they have gotten very strict on the mandatories in BB as well... and "older" preppers and I don't mean old just maybe haven't been to a show in the last few years where prepping these guys who were posing these guys 15 minutes a night the old school way and the bodybuilders where getting pissed on stage. You will still here them say DROP you arm number so and so especially in a side relaxed or heels together to the BB's when they are use to separating they're feet... it does get frustrating but you adjust and it is best to have a coach who is updating themselves constantly on the new standards... I know at all the local shows around here they will give you a slow walk through of how they want you to perform the poses and turns and you can ask any questions if you are confused.