PDA

View Full Version : Why did you start competing?

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 02:10 AM
Did you know a friend who competed?

A spouse get you into it?

Have you always loved the fitness/bodybuilding lifestyle?

Did you want to get into shape/achieve a goal?

WHAT made you say I'm gonna get on stage and compete?

My "story" .... it all started when I became a MOMMY :) I put on some wieght while preganant... lets just say a lil more than was nessecary :icecream::burger::popcorn: LOL and wanted to get it off in time for summer... so I for the first time in my life joined a gym. Was clueless, but went religiously and ate "healthier" and lost my baby weight. But while I was there, I for the first time saw women with a lil muscle on them and thought holy crap THEY look awesome! That's how I wanted to look and decided I would buckle down and figure out how...so I started becoming very interested in health and fitness reading Muscle and fitness, Oxygen, going online... reading books,etc... and then decided I need to go the next step and hired a trainer...

But not just any trainer THE MOST JACKED woman I had ever seen in real life. GORGEOUS TOO and of course a MOM as well... well I had chosen a competitor :) coincidence? (I think not LOL)! She had competed for years, was featured in a few local magazines like Natural Muscle, sponsored by Eclipse the whole nine. Once I learned what supplements were I would see her pics hanging in the stores... I was like "hey that's my trainer!" (so naive LOL) After three months with her, my body changed dramatically, and I listened to story upon story of her competition/photoshoot/travelling with her sponsorship company days and I was in AWE! We would talk about the possibility of me competing but I just kept blowing it off (as I was not too keen, when I heard the type of diet LOL).

So for the next two years I just plugged along at the gym, was a sponge learning, listening watching, reading... stayed in decent shape, had abs for the first time in my life... but no huge progress as my food was not up to par. I actually went a step further taking classes and getting certified and was hired to work at the gym (very part time - I was more interested in learning than training people LOL) I would always say though off in the distance...I wish I could do a show...I'd just like to try it...BUT NEVER WOULD EVER follow through. I'd say when I'm bigger maybe, when I'm leaner maybe, when I learn more maybe, always a reason not to. Well finally my hubby took the bull by the horns and said you need a goal, you need a set date, you need to commit! So we picked a show I was 10 weeks out and I went full force AHEAD! LOVED every minute of it and was hooked ever since!

Becoming a Mommy is the BEST thing that ever happened to me...BUT it was also the most life changing! I was so focused and consumed with me new family that for a while I forgot ALL ABOUT lil ole me! The girl who loved to perform...the girl who loved to compete... the girl who loved a challenge... the girl who set goals and achieved them, became the girl who wanted to be the best Mommy and Wife in the world, but lost everything else that was me. My husband helped me realize I can be an even better Mom and Wife IF I have some time for me... if I don't lose myself... and the GYM became my "me time" and competing became my "thing for me" it feeds all those things I was missing and then some!

So back to you all...
Why did you start competing?

SBT
04-01-2008, 02:31 AM
Well I am gonna be lazy and don't feel like typing up a whole novel but here goes...

I grew up very athletic and playing all sports and even played basketball in college, but I was always a little on the fat/thick side (size 13 and 175 lbs at only 5'5") So first I changed up the way I ate slightly, mostly swapping soda for water and ditching the white carbs and dropped down to about 145 lbs and a size 6, stayed there til I started working out. Then I went EXTREME (a little TOOOO much) eventually turned into a cardio queen and dropped to a size 3 at a measly 126 lbs. I wound up stumbling across one of the many boards about 2 years ago, read some logs and saw some pictures and thought to myself "Hmmm I would like a tad more muscle too!" I started working out a little harder then, and eating more. Then after coming to Michigan for my now roommates first figure competition a few people mentioned the idea of competiting to me, so I went back to Texas with the thought in the back of my mind, but when I moved a month after that to Michigan I started hitting the weights a LOT harder with my roommate/workout partner and decided to give it a go! Although the whole time thinking no way could I ever do that, as I am VERY VERY shy (I didn't even like posing with my roomy or some of the other girls from the gym who were competing)... but from the moment I stepped out on stage I was hooked!! :D

Now its the constant inner competition of striving to keep being better and better that I really like, plus it gives me new goals to always keep on reaching for!

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 02:37 AM
That's impressive Shan! And its amazing to me how even the shyest people can BEAM on stage. :D:respect:

It's amazing they say you either love it or hate it... The girl who won the overall the year before at my first show I did was at one of the camps I attended to practice posing and I remember seeing her picture on the flyer...and I said so when's your next show? And she said that was it ONE AND ONLY...it's not for me... NOT FOR YOU?!?! She looked awesome! Won the overall out of 30 something girls but had no desire to do it again... it takes a hell of a lot of passion to do this you have to LOVE IT...thats why it's interesting to me to see what got everyone's fire going to start competing.

SBT
04-01-2008, 02:48 AM
Yeah and that is exactly what happened... I am SUPER shy in person, well at least until I get to know someone, but on stage all that vanished and a few people even said I was a little ham :p

Alli
04-01-2008, 01:36 PM
ah here goes- I'll try not to make this a novel....

BUT

Competing was never a goal or a priority of mine. My love of competing stemmed from a lover of LIFTING, which I think is crucial to the success of a competitor. You have to love to train, love to lift, love to challenge and beat on your body. In a sense- you have to be a bit left of center to love the sport.

I'd been lifting for about 2 years(?) when a national level bodybuilder, came up to me in the gym and asked me if I competed. I had NO idea what he meant and he began to explain to me figure, which was, at that time, relatively new. Jenny Lynn was popularizing the sport but it was nowhere as big as it is now. Mark introduced me to his sponsor, John, and together they began prepping me for my first show.... which was NABBA, not NPC. I won my class and was hooked. And the rest is history.......

but I always feel compelled to say that competing is nothing compared to how much I love to train. If i never competed again but could still get into th gym, I'd be okay. Don't get me wrong, I love the challenge and the mental focus of competing, but it's nowhere near the joy I receive from daily pushing myself in the gym, and it has NOTHING on the challenge of sculpting and molding your physique. I'm a weightlifter first...competitor second:)

Shelly
04-01-2008, 03:06 PM
we both attended a show a few years ago... and just got that INNER DRIVE to want to be on stage!! The look of figure was so beautiful and strong and empowering that we knew that was what we wanted to do.

we lifted before but wanted to take it to the next level... and luckily hooked up with the right trainer.. and the rest is history :)

more importantly though... the will to compete was also the want to LIVe that healthy lifestyle 24/7.... Competing has forced us to LIVE healthier and focus toward a goal all the time....

*Bunny*
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Ill play too. :) Sorry this will be a novel... lol

When I first got into training seriously, circa Jan 26th 2005 at 530 am (yes I know the date) :) ... My focus was to get control of my body back. I felt I lost all control at that time b/c of the Big C. I was never obese, I was not thin by any means, but extremely athletic growing up.

I was one of those people who had to have control of the situation b/c without it, panic attacks and anxiety attacks were common place.

Back in 05, there was no way I wanted to compete. I even stated on a few occasions that I would not until I can do it for me and me only, and push aside the competitive nature that was created b/c of my participation in sports.

I decided to listen to all the complaining about the 'politics' and the fact I 'would not do well as a natural' and just support my fellow competitors. Namely, SBT's roommate. At the time I felt very close to her and watching her go through prep was pretty exciting. I thought perhaps I just may be able to do this one day after all. She looked lovely on stage, job well done.

In my head it was a back-n-forth battle b/c I could not figure out if I was capable of letting go of the competitive nature that dominated my life. And it was not in competition with other people, that is not what I mean, I never had to compete for a spot on a team, I competed against myself with good grades, etc, I was always born and known to think of myself as a natural born leader. Why could I not separate myself from the other ladies, and stay away from me vs them, winning winning winning mindset, until then I was not stepping on stage. First AHA Moment (credit to Orpah).. THESE were NOT my 'ideas' but they were the creation of thoughts I put in MY head, other peoples opinions, comments, and not my own. You ALL know when you are around a certain 'energy' you yourself can become part of or contribute to that energy, esp the bad, negative stuff. TO me, it is like a drug, you become addicted or trapped in the bad environment.

I was blessed enough to discover that right away, got over the past and moved ON with my life and what I wanted to do and why I wanted to do it.

Ok so now that you've seen the spiritually positive side of the growth, lets not forget that I had something called stage FRIGHT.!

I was terrified of public speaking, being judged by others and well, whether or not I was actually 'speaking' verbally, my body was telling a story loud and clear on that stage with a word being uttered.

That was it... I had my "AHA moment" and said... "If I can stand on stage, half nekkid in stripper heels to be judges by a panel ... NOT to mention have an entire auditorium full of strangers looking at me with an opinion, then I am SURE I can conquer my fear of public speaking."

Just how afraid was I to take a speech class, which was a requirement at ALL colleges in IL? Well, lets just say I ditched the University that I would have been playing soccer at, stayed local to go to a community college avoided speech, had dropped it 3 x and the 4th I was too late so they gave me an F... transferred to KU... came back home and didnt return b/c eventually I was going to have Chemo... so FFwd what, Um... 8-9 years, still no degree b/c I didnt have my speech/communications requirement?

That was THE ONLY I needed to get My associates so I said enough, Im doing this show, THEN I'm taking speech. Needless to say I did pretty darn good at both shows, used THIS exact scenario for my intro speech (sorry if I mentioned this story 100 times in previous "how did you get started' threads) and Just got my Associates at the beginning of the year with an A in communications and high praise from my teacher. He was like #1 Forensics (that's Speech not the study of Dead people ;)) in the state so I was thrilled beyond belief. IL is huge for Forensics competitions. I actually wanted to take his honors class but I have this little thing called work during the day so, no dice.

So why did I start competing? TO overcome my fear and better myself, and wow did I learn so many lessons about myself, life, friends, family and attitude. :waving:

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Ill play too. :) Sorry this will be a novel... lol

When I first got into training seriously, circa Jan 26th 2005 at 530 am (yes I know the date) :) ... My focus was to get control of my body back. I felt I lost all control at that time b/c of the Big C. I was never obese, I was not thin by any means, but extremely athletic growing up.

I was one of those people who had to have control of the situation b/c without it, panic attacks and anxiety attacks were common place.

Back in 05, there was no way I wanted to compete. I even stated on a few occasions that I would not until I can do it for me and me only, and push aside the competitive nature that was created b/c of my participation in sports.

I decided to listen to all the complaining about the 'politics' and the fact I 'would not do well as a natural' and just support my fellow competitors. Namely, SBT's roommate. At the time I felt very close to her and watching her go through prep was pretty exciting. I thought perhaps I just may be able to do this one day after all. She looked lovely on stage, job well done.

In my head it was a back-n-forth battle b/c I could not figure out if I was capable of letting go of the competitive nature that dominated my life. And it was not in competition with other people, that is not what I mean, I never had to compete for a spot on a team, I competed against myself with good grades, etc, I was always born and known to think of myself as a natural born leader. Why could I not separate myself from the other ladies, and stay away from me vs them, winning winning winning mindset, until then I was not stepping on stage. First AHA Moment (credit to Orpah).. THESE were NOT my 'ideas' but they were the creation of thoughts I put in MY head, other peoples opinions, comments, and not my own. You ALL know when you are around a certain 'energy' you yourself can become part of or contribute to that energy, esp the bad, negative stuff. TO me, it is like a drug, you become addicted or trapped in the bad environment.

I was blessed enough to discover that right away, got over the past and moved ON with my life and what I wanted to do and why I wanted to do it.

Ok so now that you've seen the spiritually positive side of the growth, lets not forget that I had something called stage FRIGHT.!

I was terrified of public speaking, being judged by others and well, whether or not I was actually 'speaking' verbally, my body was telling a story loud and clear on that stage with a word being uttered.

That was it... I had my "AHA moment" and said... "If I can stand on stage, half nekkid in stripper heels to be judges by a panel ... NOT to mention have an entire auditorium full of strangers looking at me with an opinion, then I am SURE I can conquer my fear of public speaking."

Just how afraid was I to take a speech class, which was a requirement at ALL colleges in IL? Well, lets just say I ditched the University that I would have been playing soccer at, stayed local to go to a community college avoided speech, had dropped it 3 x and the 4th I was too late so they gave me an F... transferred to KU... came back home and didnt return b/c eventually I was going to have Chemo... so FFwd what, Um... 8-9 years, still no degree b/c I didnt have my speech/communications requirement?

That was THE ONLY I needed to get My associates so I said enough, Im doing this show, THEN I'm taking speech. Needless to say I did pretty darn good at both shows, used THIS exact scenario for my intro speech (sorry if I mentioned this story 100 times in previous "how did you get started' threads) and Just got my Associates at the beginning of the year with an A in communications and high praise from my teacher. He was like #1 Forensics (that's Speech not the study of Dead people ;)) in the state so I was thrilled beyond belief. IL is huge for Forensics competitions. I actually wanted to take his honors class but I have this little thing called work during the day so, no dice.

So why did I start competing? TO overcome my fear and better myself, and wow did I learn so many lessons about myself, life, friends, family and attitude. :waving:
WOW! Congrats GIRL! You are simply amazing and just imagine how much you would have regretted NEVER taking that class...the stage PROPELLED you :) Fear is TEMPORARY regret is forever:awesome: ...thanks for sharing

The highlighted colored part intrigued me simply because I went through this phase in my life too CONSUMED with being NUMBER ONE on stage and EVERYWHERE...and you do realize as you age and grow if you are competing with other people you will never feel like number one... I always say EVERY ONE has something someone else wants just DO YOU the best you can and the rest will fall in place :) I truly believe no one will take from you what you deserve and visa versa.

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
we both attended a show a few years ago... and just got that INNER DRIVE to want to be on stage!! The look of figure was so beautiful and strong and empowering that we knew that was what we wanted to do.

we lifted before but wanted to take it to the next level... and luckily hooked up with the right trainer.. and the rest is history :)

more importantly though... the will to compete was also the want to LIVe that healthy lifestyle 24/7.... Competing has forced us to LIVE healthier and focus toward a goal all the time....
Changing over to the lifestyle is when you know your hooked hooked LOL... you two are very lucky you saw first hand... my first show was THE FIRST SHOW I ever went to :) You guys started off on the right foot.

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
ah here goes- I'll try not to make this a novel....

BUT

Competing was never a goal or a priority of mine. My love of competing stemmed from a lover of LIFTING, which I think is crucial to the success of a competitor. You have to love to train, love to lift, love to challenge and beat on your body. In a sense- you have to be a bit left of center to love the sport.

I'd been lifting for about 2 years(?) when a national level bodybuilder, came up to me in the gym and asked me if I competed. I had NO idea what he meant and he began to explain to me figure, which was, at that time, relatively new. Jenny Lynn was popularizing the sport but it was nowhere as big as it is now. Mark introduced me to his sponsor, John, and together they began prepping me for my first show.... which was NABBA, not NPC. I won my class and was hooked. And the rest is history.......

but I always feel compelled to say that competing is nothing compared to how much I love to train. If i never competed again but could still get into th gym, I'd be okay. Don't get me wrong, I love the challenge and the mental focus of competing, but it's nowhere near the joy I receive from daily pushing myself in the gym, and it has NOTHING on the challenge of sculpting and molding your physique. I'm a weightlifter first...competitor second:) Your love of the weights show :respect: But there is passion def beyond that! Power lifters love the weights too...but it takes something different deep down inside to make us love this sport of competing :)

But being approached to compete what was your drive to do it...what was your reason? For the experience? Curiosity? To achieve a goal and push? Or competitiveness to WIN?

Alli
04-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Your love of the weights show :respect: But there is passion def beyond that! Power lifters love the weights too...but it takes something different deep down inside to make us love this sport of competing :)

But being approached to compete what was your drive to do it...what was your reason? For the experience? Curiosity? To achieve a goal and push? Or competitiveness to WIN?
your questions rock girl- you're making me think this Tuesday!:kiss:

Originally I think I competed because I was curious. I didn't know much about it... and I was anxious to find out. I also am a very competitive person by nature. I grew up very athletic and physical exertion is release for me. It's as good as therapy at times- it gives me a focus that's directed away from my day to day struggles and allows me to center on myself. I did everything from field hockey to swimming before becoming a competitive track and cross country athlete throughout high school and my first year at college. When I quit cross country as as sophomore... I needed to fnd another competitive outlet. Figure attracted me because it bears many similarities to running.
1. It's an independent sport. You succeed or fail solely based on your ability, drive, and preparation
2. It's a marathon. It's about training and preparation and EXTREME mental focus- and let me tell you, running 3.1 miles at rapid paces takes a lot of mental focus. Your body begins to hurt a mile in and you need to maintain mental clarity in order to drive your body through the race. competing is similar. You have to mentally be a strong person to take on dieting, training, and cardio.

Now I love competing because I love the challenge. I love that it never ends. I love that women of all ages can compete. I like that this sport is a continuous challenge. It's a life encompassing sport- it's a lifestyle, one that I embrace with both arms and love living.

Man all this chatter is making me anxious to get on stage this summer- and even more anxious to start contest prep come May!!!!!!!!!!!!!:respect:

Shelly
04-01-2008, 06:26 PM
Changing over to the lifestyle is when you know your hooked hooked LOL... you two are very lucky you saw first hand... my first show was THE FIRST SHOW I ever went to :) You guys started off on the right foot.

thats exciting too though to SEE it and EXPERIENCE IT the first time together!!

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:38 PM
your questions rock girl- you're making me think this Tuesday!:kiss:

Originally I think I competed because I was curious. I didn't know much about it... and I was anxious to find out. I also am a very competitive person by nature. I grew up very athletic and physical exertion is release for me. It's as good as therapy at times- it gives me a focus that's directed away from my day to day struggles and allows me to center on myself. I did everything from field hockey to swimming before becoming a competitive track and cross country athlete throughout high school and my first year at college. When I quit cross country as as sophomore... I needed to fnd another competitive outlet. Figure attracted me because it bears many similarities to running.
1. It's an independent sport. You succeed or fail solely based on your ability, drive, and preparation
2. It's a marathon. It's about training and preparation and EXTREME mental focus- and let me tell you, running 3.1 miles at rapid paces takes a lot of mental focus. Your body begins to hurt a mile in and you need to maintain mental clarity in order to drive your body through the race. competing is similar. You have to mentally be a strong person to take on dieting, training, and cardio.

Now I love competing because I love the challenge. I love that it never ends. I love that women of all ages can compete. I like that this sport is a continuous challenge. It's a life encompassing sport- it's a lifestyle, one that I embrace with both arms and love living.

Man all this chatter is making me anxious to get on stage this summer- and even more anxious to start contest prep come May!!!!!!!!!!!!!:respect:
HEHE - I am prepping now so all my inspirational questions/blogs.stories come out when prepping more of a positive aspect and focus I get when prepping LOL CONTINUOUS CHALLENGE 4 sure! I love how you call it a life encompassing sport ... And for Moms I try to explain as hard as it may be I have never been more structured in my life - TODAY by 10:00AM I had done cardio ate two meals, got three kids out of the house, one to school, the other two to the park to play and then to Nana's for haircuts...people think I'm crazy but I thrive off the energy from PREPPING...don't get me wrong their are days I'm dog tired but this lifestyle suits me...it suits us all in one way or another! And then I'll be heading back 2night with all three kiddies and hubby to lift!

Shelly
04-01-2008, 06:39 PM
HEHE - I am prepping now so all my inspirational questions/blogs.stories come out when prepping more of a positive aspect and focus I get when prepping LOL CONTINUOUS CHALLENGE 4 sure! I love how you call it a life encompassing sport ... And for Moms I try to explain as hard as it may be I have never been more structured in my life - TODAY by 10:00AM I had done cardio ate two meals, got three kids out of the house, one to school, the other two to the park to play and then to Nana's for haircuts...people think I'm crazy but I thrive off the energy from PREPPING...don't get me wrong their are days I'm dog tired but this lifestyle suits me...it suits us all in one way or another! And then I'll be heading back 2night with all three kiddies and hubby to lift!

steph u are an inspiration girl!!!

i sometimes wonder how the hell u do it!:respect:

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
thats exciting too though to SEE it and EXPERIENCE IT the first time together!!
I was like jaw open ... giddy... I really didn't have a chance to be nervous... they're were so many people 130 something competitors and so much fun back stage! But I did have a lot to learn LOL

fitmomma3
04-01-2008, 06:43 PM
steph u are an inspiration girl!!!

i sometimes wonder how the hell u do it!:respect: Thanks GIRL! BUT I swear I couldn't see it any other way :D I AM NOT the typical soccer MOM LOL to every MOM that says I would NEVER have the time... I'm like did you watch Oprah today? They go yeah so and so was on, I said well that could have been your hour at the GYM!

Alli
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM

I hear you girl! Well, not about the kid thing, but aboutg thriving off the energy of continuously moving. There is something to be said for constantly being on the move and having a schedule and being structured..... I APPLAUD you for juggling motherhood with being a wife, a competitor, AND a woman.... you rock.:bowdown:

MsGuns
04-02-2008, 01:35 AM
I started competing because I wanted to see what my body could do w/ the training, diet and determination...

I started off running track (weights were always part of my program)...I stopped running in 2000 2 weeks b4 the Olympics trials...just got really frustrated w/ the coach I was working w/ and my times.

I took a whole yr off from all fitness activities...

This is where is gets foggy....I dont remember working out June 2000-Jun 2002...I know I ONLY took off a yr...in 02 I started working out in community center doing the body for life workouts..I was the only consistent female...What got me motivated was the pics of the ole school FBBs- one of my fav is Lenda Murray...former track runner too...and the guys telling me I COULDNT be a Pro unless I was on drug...ALL NATURAL wasnt going to cut it...I told my self I can do that if I had the right help...so I went to the bookstore and picked up all the fitness mags...but realize those diets were geared for the people in the mag...i knew I needed a trainer...i contact the txnpc chair at the time for help bad idea...wont go into details...i did find Prince Harrison's contact info online...I called him and asked him 101 questions because I didnt know if I wanted to do figure (seemed easy- show off your body in 4 turns) or bodybuilding...he put me in contact w/ a lady who knew some of the trainers...she gave me a number of a trainer and we meet in april of 2003 and the rest is herstory...

I did the NPC for a min...I now only do NGA, OCB and FAME shows...
8 shows later...Im a NGA Pro, looking to compete as a IFPA Pro and Elite Athlete for FAME....

I luv how I feel and look...I always luv the challenge of proving people wrong...After I turned Pro in 2006 I went back to the HATER gym to let them know I was able to turn Pro w/out drugs...I hate the diet and cardio part but still do it cause I like seeing my body go thru the changes and improvements each show.

I laugh inside when I catch people staring at me outside the gym...

People outside the fitness world think they can never achieve a body like this...there are soo many of us competing...

I luv it when they tell me they dont have time cause of work or cause of kids...I always say there are women out there competing in BB, figure or fitness and some of them have 2-6 kids....and they LOOK DAMN GOOD!!!

SBT
04-02-2008, 05:11 AM
Great stories everyone :)

jlay
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I like this thread! Mine is probably going to be another novel! I'm sorry, but I'm just really passionate about this!
I started out running long distance track & cross country throughout jr high & HS. I also rode hunter/jumper horses every waking moment. I'm a horse nut! I was always pretty thin & not a lot of muscle! My mother is extemely thin & was always on a diet that consisted of basically just not eating. She always said she was fat. So when I turned 14 & started to mature I naturally thought I was getting fat too. I slowly started running more & more & eating less & less. Then I got the idea to purge when I did eat!
My father was becoming progressively sicker with COPD & was on oxygen & in & out of the hospital. I started binging bc I would try to starve myself, but failed at that & would go overboard. This began the viscious cycle of binging & purging! I felt so out of control with my life & the things that were going on, but bulimia gave me a sense of control. My father died when I was 16 & I got worse & worse! My mother was so depressed & trying to work a lot to maintain the finances that she did not seem to notice anything. We both were in bad shape. I quit running & riding horses throughout this even. I moved away to college 3 hrs away from home when I was 17. Needless to say, I failed out, did not go to class very much, & drank way too much. I finally had a couple of my sorority sisters confront me about getting some help. I started going to couseling, but it was basically a waste. After my freshman yr I had to move back home. I started seeing the fitness magaizines & wanted so bad to look like those girls with muscle! I did not want to be fat though. I was binging & purging up to 6x's a day by this time. I got a gym membership & would do cardio & even tried to learn somethings about lifting. I was really weak & wasn't giving my body anything to get muscle from though. I became really obsessed with the gym. It was such a release that I had not felt since riding horses. If only I could fight the bulimia. I went to counseling all the time & was seeing one of the best therapist around for eating disorders. Finally she told me that she could not do anything more for me & I needed to go to inpatient rehab if I ever was going to have a chance at living!
At 19 I went to inpatient for 2 months. This was the hardest thing I have ever done! I also believe I might not be alive today if I had not done this. When I got out I was on a mission to have a healthy & fit body. I got back to the gym & started putting on muscle immediately bc my body was getting nutrients it had not had in so long. I started back in college take prereqs for nursing school & continued going to outpatient counseling. I met my husband in the gym 5 months later. I kept telling him how much I would love to look like those fitness girls. He told me he thought I could do it. Then, I said if I could look like them, maybe I could actually get on stage & compete like them. I still had some relapses with my eating disorder, but was still 90% better than I was!
We made a deal that if I could go a yr without any relapses that I could be ready for the prep of a show. We both knew that the diet & the idea of being compared to other girls bodies could be a danger to me. If I could go a yr, then maybe I could handle this. I lifted as heavy as I could in this yr & focused so hard on my mental & physical health. I got accepted into nursing school too & my husband, & we got married somewhere during all of this! After a yr I picked a show date & prepped for 12 wks.
That day on stage I felt such a rush, & I was full of emotions! I felt like I belonged up there. I got 3rd, but would have been happy no matter what. I did all my prep & training along the way. It was the whole process that made it special to me.
Competing to me has changed my whole outlook on life. Even when I am not prepping for a show, I still have a really structured diet & workout plan that copetition tought me bc I need this to remain healthy. Of course I still have treats now & then, but I know what I need to do to stay on the right track! I love constantly pushing myself to the next level to see what I can do with my body. I love the whole process & the journey of competing has saved me!
I am so sorry this is so long, but I am really proud of where I am in my life & where I came from. I also think that maybe there is someone out there that could read this & find it helpful to them bc eating disorders ruin so many people's lives!

fitmomma3
04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
The determination and motivation in these stories are amazing!!! I could read stuff like this all day! :)

SBT
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM
ME TOO!!! Great thread idea Steph :D

Trish
05-16-2008, 07:08 PM
How did you finally commit to do your first body building, figure or fitness show.

Shelly
05-16-2008, 07:09 PM
i knew i wanted to diet for one so i picked a show- and dieted for 16 weeks! then i was hooked!

Lisa E
05-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Way back when. Then went to school, graduated and decided to do figure after that.

SBT
05-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Let everyone else talk me into it, I like challenges so figured what the heck?! Then once I got on stage, I was HOOKED ;)

dvsness
05-16-2008, 07:45 PM
"Before Vanessa ever thought of competing in figure or bodybuilding, she was approached in the gym and asked what show was she preparing for. This planted the seed and after attending her first competition, she was hooked."

:D

http://www.prolab.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=35&chapter=4

LadyZ
05-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Just like Vanessa I was approach by someone but not in the gym... It was in the Internet (myspace)... he asked me if I was interested in competing in a figure competition and he was willing to train me and help me with the diet... a few days later, I found out that he was just trying to scam and I send him to hell. Well he did leave a bug in my head. I asking a instructor at my gym if she can help me. She's a fitness competitor. I thought that it was a good idea because she was in the industry and she point to the right direction.... WRONG!!! This lady overtrained and I look horrible for my first show. She also hussled $$ out of me.

Well, after that ordeal I was devasted. I didn't want to see a gym ever again, okay only 4 times a week...lol. But I was heartbroken and I did want to compete again and do it right. So i joined one message board. I started researching and asking questions. Before you know it, I was training for another competition.. didn't which one... I wanted to increase muscle mass... It was in December or January, I asked one of my very good friends, "cough cough" Yetta 'cough, cough" to help me choose a show. :)

After this show, I would love to continue doing more competitions.

Peanutbb
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
I went to the 1992 Ms. Olympia in Chicago and was hooked! Unfortunetly the stupid trainers in my gym told me I would never be able to compete since I wasn't athletic as a kid. So ten years, a kid and about 50 pounds later I decided to prove them wrong! I lost weight and trained hard and competed in an INBF show. Placed dead last but it was the best day of my life!! I loved every minute of it!

Since I was such a MILF after the show, my hubby promptly knocked me up again and I had to start all over! :p
I loved doing the figure comp last summer, but I'm a bb girl at heart. So I'm trying again...hopefully I won't come in last again, but it really doesn't matter how I do because I do it cause I love it!

JLB001
05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Myself I saw those Bill Phillips ads when he still owned that one mag. This was back in 97. I moved to Austin, never really thought about it much until an ex boyfriend was buying a house and his sales rep was Prepping for a show here in Texas. Shortly after that, I joined the gym, enlisted the help of her trainer (bill Carle,He had also prepped his now ex wife Marilyn and another girl named Charlotte Duncan) for a few months to build a sound foundation with form, etc.
This was in 99.

When I moved to Houston in 2001, I was still interested in doing FIGURE so I sought out a trainer to prep me for my first show. In that search I found John Sherman IFBB Pro. He basically instilled in me the work ethics and discipline with the diet.

Trish
05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
I went to the 1992 Ms. Olympia in Chicago and was hooked! Unfortunetly the stupid trainers in my gym told me I would never be able to compete since I wasn't athletic as a kid. So ten years, a kid and about 50 pounds later I decided to prove them wrong! I lost weight and trained hard and competed in an INBF show. Placed dead last but it was the best day of my life!! I loved every minute of it!

Since I was such a MILF after the show, my hubby promptly knocked me up again and I had to start all over! :p
I loved doing the figure comp last summer, but I'm a bb girl at heart. So I'm trying again...hopefully I won't come in last again, but it really doesn't matter how I do because I do it cause I love it!

:) :awesome:

Trish
05-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Myself I saw those Bill Phillips ads when he still owned that one mag. This was back in 97. I moved to Austin, never really thought about it much until an ex boyfriend was buying a house and his sales rep was Prepping for a show here in Texas. Shortly after that, I joined the gym, enlisted the help of her trainer (bill Carle,He had also prepped his now ex wife Marilyn and another girl named Charlotte Duncan) for a few months to build a sound foundation with form, etc.
This was in 99.

When I moved to Houston in 2001, I was still interested in doing FIGURE so I sought out a trainer to prep me for my first show. In that search I found John Sherman IFBB Pro. He basically instilled in me the work ethics and discipline with the diet.

I have hope....:awesome:

this is so cool to hear everyones insprirational stories....

JLB001
05-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I have hope....:awesome:

this is so cool to hear everyones insprirational stories....
We all have to start somewhere. :)

MsGuns
05-16-2008, 09:56 PM
But back then in 96...I told them I couldnt do the diet...no seasoning...were they crazy

2002 i started working out again...saw pics of Lendy Murray at a community center I was working out at...I liked my results and I was like I can do that...

I luv working out and turning heads...smile

A guy at the gym told me I COULDNT do it w/out the drugs...I told him I had an excellent track career w/out the drugs and Ill do BBing w/out the drugs...

2003 i was lead to my trainer a former national level BB Jason Bard and the rest is herstory...

Today I am a Triple Pro in 3 natural drug free: NGA, FAME/WNSO and OCB/IFPA

jenscats5
05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I've always enjoyed weight training & love to do it & have been training for a while.....Then a few years ago I got laid off from my job with severance & some women I knew from another message board were competing, which for figure I hadn't heard of before. Since I basically didn't have any job commitments, I figured why not see if I could do it too as this would be the perfect time to do so. I hooked up with a local trainer (bad experience) and competed...didn't do well, but my interest was peaked. Then the next year I tore my ACL, had surgery & focused on recovering. Then 1 year ago Feb. I hooked up with my current coach and wanted to try competing again to see if I could now do it while working & do better.

I want to try BB sometime as that's what I wanted to do originally, but was told I wasn't "big enough."

Meechel
05-17-2008, 05:41 AM
But back then in 96...I told them I couldnt do the diet...no seasoning...were they crazy

2002 i started working out again...saw pics of Lendy Murray at a community center I was working out at...I liked my results and I was like I can do that...

I luv working out and turning heads...smile

A guy at the gym told me I COULDNT do it w/out the drugs...I told him I had an excellent track career w/out the drugs and Ill do BBing w/out the drugs...

2003 i was lead to my trainer a former national level BB Jason Bard and the rest is herstory...

Today I am a Triple Pro in 3 natural drug free: NGA, FAME/WNSO and OCB/IFPA

:bowdown: I want to do any and all shows I do and training drug free also.

jenscats5
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM

That's important to me as well......

MsGuns
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM

That's important to me as well......

Ladies, I say give NPC a try and if it doesnt work out checkout the NGA, FAME and OCB....all great orgs...

Meechel
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Ladies, I say give NPC a try and if it doesnt work out checkout the NGA, FAME and OCB....all great orgs...

Oh I plan on doing NPC because Tanji's show is thru that and the IronMan here locally is NPC and polygraph/drug tested I believe. IF I do well then I will look into non local shows. :cool:

jenscats5
05-21-2008, 12:57 PM

I compete in the OCB and LOVE it!! Great bunch of people....

fitmomma3
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=633

I will try to figure out how to merge these together LOL

Suzanne
05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I started working out in 1995 to lose weight weighed aobut 180 at the time at 5'1" not a pretty picture. The weight very gradually came off but I found i loved lifting. I never thought I would have a good physique jsutwanted to gradually get one clothing size smaller.

In 2001 I got down into the low 120s and was constantly getting asking if I competed in bodybuilding or fitness. One of the poepel who talked to me about it was a 65 yr old man at my gym who still competed in masters and had been an NPC judge.

So dec '01 i began training for first bb show march '02

Trish
05-21-2008, 01:56 PM
http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=633

I will try to figure out how to merge these together LOL

Good idea. I need to go check the post on that one. Sorry, I didn't see this before.

Trish
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I started working out in 1995 to lose weight weighed aobut 180 at the time at 5'1" not a pretty picture. The weight very gradually came off but I found i loved lifting. I never thought I would have a good physique jsutwanted to gradually get one clothing size smaller.

In 2001 I got down into the low 120s and was constantly getting asking if I competed in bodybuilding or fitness. One of the poepel who talked to me about it was a 65 yr old man at my gym who still competed in masters and had been an NPC judge.

Wow, sounds great! It is taking me some time but I am still working towards my goals. I find that I learn a little more as I go along.

fitmomma3
05-21-2008, 02:00 PM
Good idea. I need to go check the post on that one. Sorry, I didn't see this before.

No problem just figured it would add to this thread LOL and I was too lazy to type it again :)

iron_angel
05-21-2008, 03:10 PM
This was in 99.

You soooo need to move back to Austin, lol! I need a new training partner!! ;)

iron_angel
05-21-2008, 03:13 PM

WOW! That is impressive girl--great job on all your hard work over the years! Dang! :bowdown:

want2blean
05-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I like this thread! Mine is probably going to be another novel! I'm sorry, but I'm just really passionate about this!
I started out running long distance track & cross country throughout jr high & HS. I also rode hunter/jumper horses every waking moment. I'm a horse nut! I was always pretty thin & not a lot of muscle! My mother is extemely thin & was always on a diet that consisted of basically just not eating. She always said she was fat. So when I turned 14 & started to mature I naturally thought I was getting fat too. I slowly started running more & more & eating less & less. Then I got the idea to purge when I did eat!
My father was becoming progressively sicker with COPD & was on oxygen & in & out of the hospital. I started binging bc I would try to starve myself, but failed at that & would go overboard. This began the viscious cycle of binging & purging! I felt so out of control with my life & the things that were going on, but bulimia gave me a sense of control. My father died when I was 16 & I got worse & worse! My mother was so depressed & trying to work a lot to maintain the finances that she did not seem to notice anything. We both were in bad shape. I quit running & riding horses throughout this even. I moved away to college 3 hrs away from home when I was 17. Needless to say, I failed out, did not go to class very much, & drank way too much. I finally had a couple of my sorority sisters confront me about getting some help. I started going to couseling, but it was basically a waste. After my freshman yr I had to move back home. I started seeing the fitness magaizines & wanted so bad to look like those girls with muscle! I did not want to be fat though. I was binging & purging up to 6x's a day by this time. I got a gym membership & would do cardio & even tried to learn somethings about lifting. I was really weak & wasn't giving my body anything to get muscle from though. I became really obsessed with the gym. It was such a release that I had not felt since riding horses. If only I could fight the bulimia. I went to counseling all the time & was seeing one of the best therapist around for eating disorders. Finally she told me that she could not do anything more for me & I needed to go to inpatient rehab if I ever was going to have a chance at living!
At 19 I went to inpatient for 2 months. This was the hardest thing I have ever done! I also believe I might not be alive today if I had not done this. When I got out I was on a mission to have a healthy & fit body. I got back to the gym & started putting on muscle immediately bc my body was getting nutrients it had not had in so long. I started back in college take prereqs for nursing school & continued going to outpatient counseling. I met my husband in the gym 5 months later. I kept telling him how much I would love to look like those fitness girls. He told me he thought I could do it. Then, I said if I could look like them, maybe I could actually get on stage & compete like them. I still had some relapses with my eating disorder, but was still 90% better than I was!
We made a deal that if I could go a yr without any relapses that I could be ready for the prep of a show. We both knew that the diet & the idea of being compared to other girls bodies could be a danger to me. If I could go a yr, then maybe I could handle this. I lifted as heavy as I could in this yr & focused so hard on my mental & physical health. I got accepted into nursing school too & my husband, & we got married somewhere during all of this! After a yr I picked a show date & prepped for 12 wks.
That day on stage I felt such a rush, & I was full of emotions! I felt like I belonged up there. I got 3rd, but would have been happy no matter what. I did all my prep & training along the way. It was the whole process that made it special to me.
Competing to me has changed my whole outlook on life. Even when I am not prepping for a show, I still have a really structured diet & workout plan that copetition tought me bc I need this to remain healthy. Of course I still have treats now & then, but I know what I need to do to stay on the right track! I love constantly pushing myself to the next level to see what I can do with my body. I love the whole process & the journey of competing has saved me!
I am so sorry this is so long, but I am really proud of where I am in my life & where I came from. I also think that maybe there is someone out there that could read this & find it helpful to them bc eating disorders ruin so many people's lives!

Thank you for sharing your incredible story. Being someone who has also dealt with and continues to deal with, because its always with you, an eating disorder your story hits close to home. Although I do not compete but someday might its nice to know you were able to go through all the prep and not relapse. That is a big fear of mine so its good to hear a story like this. Again thanks for sharing your story. :)

SuperGal 34
05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, I alwas wanted to compete but didn't know how to get started and one day I was approached by a trainer at my gym and said he thought it was time for me to compete. I didn't want to work with him (didn't like his tarining methods). A friend then intriduced me to an IFBB fbb and started working with her. She got me through 2 shows in '04 and I did very well but then had a bad experience with her and I stopped working with her. I was very discouraged. Finally I got interested again, met another trainer how made alot of promises he could not keep and basically he saw that we were getting closer to my show date and he didn't know what the hell he was doing so he made up a lie (lol) and ended our business deal (with my $$$). Got discouraged, thinking why me, I want this sooooo badly and I can't find a serious and honest person to help. Well 4 yrs later, I'm back and I hope for good. My trainer now is the BEST and I hope to continue working with her. She's an IFBB fitness competitor and this has been the most professional relationship I have had and would love to continue working with her. Well that's my story...for anyone new to the sport, pls. be careful who you get involved with. There are alot of ppl out there that are only after $$$ and could careless about your dreams.

Shelly
05-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Well, I alwas wanted to compete but didn't know how to get started and one day I was approached by a trainer at my gym and said he thought it was time for me to compete. I didn't want to work with him (didn't like his tarining methods). A friend then intriduced me to an IFBB fbb and started working with her. She got me through 2 shows in '04 and I did very well but then had a bad experience with her and I stopped working with her. I was very discouraged. Finally I got interested again, met another trainer how made alot of promises he could not keep and basically he saw that we were getting closer to my show date and he didn't know what the hell he was doing so he made up a lie (lol) and ended our business deal (with my $$$). Got discouraged, thinking why me, I want this sooooo badly and I can't find a serious and honest person to help. Well 4 yrs later, I'm back and I hope for good. My trainer now is the BEST and I hope to continue working with her. She's an IFBB fitness competitor and this has been the most professional relationship I have had and would love to continue working with her. Well that's my story...for anyone new to the sport, pls. be careful who you get involved with. There are alot of ppl out there that are only after $$$ and could careless about your dreams.

wow seems like you had many bumps in the road along the way- glad you stuck with it girl :awesome:

Suzanne
05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
WOW! That is impressive girl--great job on all your hard work over the years! Dang! :bowdown:

Thanks! :kiss:

These are progress pics over the years
http://fitsuzanne.com/Progresspics/transformationprogress.htm

Everyone has such different backgrounds leading to the same place

Shelly
05-21-2008, 05:55 PM

wow girl :respect: you've done it all and props on your transformations- incredible

want2blean
05-21-2008, 06:08 PM

One word AMAZING!! Proof that dedication and hard work does pay off.

Trish
05-22-2008, 02:08 PM

can I say :respect::respect::bowdown:
That is an awesome transformation. :)

SuperGal 34
05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
WOW!!! Suzanne, you've come a long way, Amazing!!! you look fabulous.

KMS
05-22-2008, 03:02 PM
I just saw this thread today. Many already know my reasons but if not here it is again. LOL Sorry if it's a novel...I will try to shorten it up. I will just copy and paste what has been written for the Governors page on health and the Department of health.

I get asked so often by others….”What motivated you or what was the one thing that made you decide you needed to do this for yourself?” I wish there was a clear and easy answer to that question and that I could say that I had some big revelation such as seeing myself in a picture. But the truth is, I just snapped. I had had enough and I just plain simply snapped. My entire life has been filled with so much turmoil and personal tragedies. My breaking point came when within a span of 15 months, I lost my mother to Lou Gehrig’s disease, a sister to cancer, my son was born three month’s premature, and my marriage fell apart. As if the wrenching heartache were not enough, I also began to gain weight. I had gone up and down in weight since high school but nothing that wasn’t manageable. This was different. With my self-worth at an all time low, I decided to take control of my life. It was time for a major change. I decided right then that life was going to stop kicking me and I was just going to kick it back. I needed to prove to myself that bad things don’t always have to happen to me. I could change my life.

In that single moment I started working on myself from the inside out. I treated myself differently by doing little inexpensive self-loving activities such as: bubble baths, manicures, and self-help books. The more I read the more empowered I became. Weighing close to 200lbs., one of the areas of life that I decided to improve was my health. As I learned about the importance of nutrition in weight loss, I reduced fatty foods in my diet, chose healthier starches such as oatmeal, and cut out sugar. I read every self help book I could get my hands on until I knew forwards and backwards…CLEAN EATING.

The results were amazing; inspired by my improved quality of life, I took the next step and bought a treadmill. I started walking, then jogging, and eventually built up enough stamina to run in the Indianapolis Mini Marathon…twice. Not just running it either but with great times both less than 2 hours. Eating frequently and properly combined with exercising gave me a new identity and my accomplishments only fueled my desire to improve. When I incorporated weightlifting into my exercise regimen, my body took on a whole new form. I loved the nice well rounded look I was getting from my muscles. I not only became strong physically, but mentally as well. While attending a NPC figure contest to support a friend, I decided to take my new lifestyle to a higher level by competing the NPC Figure circuit. I hired a wonderful trainer and nutritionist and took it to the next level.
My dedication to a healthy lifestyle resulted in losing over 70lbs. My success was the result of believing in myself, eating healthy food, choosing the right supplements and adhering to daily exercise and most importantly loving myself on the inside for the first time ever. I know that I may be older then most beginning competitors at the age of 39 and now 41 (1/2), but to be on that stage is my trophy. Who I have become is my trophy. To hang in there strong with 20 and 30 year olds, well, it’s icing on the cake. The lifelong friendships I have made are truly priceless.

I stay motivated by helping others. I now keep my knowledge and wisdom by passing it along, and giving it away. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a purpose in life for me. I now feel I have been blessed in so many ways. My life is no longer tragic. I want my son to grow-up practicing healthy exercise and eating habits. He is so proud of his mother and even carries my picture in his binder to school each day. I am further inspired by spreading the story of how I changed my life through healthier living. Helping others achieve their fitness goals has brought me so much satisfaction that I am now writing exercise and nutrition programs, training others for competition locally, judging and opening a fitness clothing store. So far it has been an amazing journey and I have learned something from each show and met so many people that I know will be my friends for the rest of my life. I hope to inspire anyone to keep reaching for their dreams. If I can reach just one person out there that has low self esteem and who believes that they can’t change their life…well it’s all worth it.

http://http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Sunshine1101/BEFORE-1.jpg

http://http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Sunshine1101/6150.jpg

OOPS the pics didn't work. Tried to post before and after photos

Anyway...to sum it up....I did it to better myself not only on the outside but how I felt on the inside as well.

Suzanne
05-22-2008, 03:29 PM

MsGuns
05-26-2008, 11:17 PM
yall need to send that to Oxygen or apply for Tomrrow's Cover Gurl...

I believe 5-6 gurls get selected to tell their story...
I started a thread on how to do it - its under the chat forum

MsGuns
08-25-2008, 10:28 PM
bump

Bronwyn
08-26-2008, 08:26 AM
When I was ill and at home I wrote my whole story about all years in bodybuilding/fitness here :o But I am not sure if anybody read this:shrug:. It is too long and not good English (I know I have horrible grammar :o).. But I wrote it mainly for myself. to know where I am from and which obstacles I had to come through from the beggining till now:

http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Bronwyn/the-story-of-my-life-–-true-story-about-how-i-became-a-bodybuider-i/
http://blog.bodybuilding.com/Bronwyn/the-story-of-my-life-–-true-story-about-how-i-became-a-bodybuider-ii/

Mainly in the first part is about my very first touch with this sport...
But to say it shortly... I was doing athletics and sports from my childhood. I was never slim or skinny. A lot of people talked about me being huge and broad and I hated it. But later I realized I will never be a model-like girl.
When I was 13 problems with my thyroid gland started. Children are cruel sometimes... So I was announced as the ugliest girl in the class. Some boys painted a caricature of me and pinched it on the notice board... I decided to change my body.

I was doing karate that time and I loved karate films. In "Double Impact" I saw Corey Everson... she played negative character of Cara - but I was in awe... her waist, lats, legs ....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I tried to find more informations.

It was in 1994-1995 and no internet was available to find any informations. But she was in one very first issue of Muscle and Fitness magazine - so I bought it (remember I live in Middle Europe and all this was very soon after the velvet revolution, after the communistic regime fall, not a lot of informations was available and all things from the "West" came slowly here. No commercial gyms, no coaches, no supplementsthat time! I wrote about this more in my blog.) . And I discovered the world of muscles...

There was also one beautifull plakate of Lenda. She was there naked, lying on the sofa... maybe you know that picture. I think it is from Bill Dobbins.
So I went to the gym with the idea to rebuild my ugly fatty body into the bodybuilders body. Not to be leaner, tighter or "toned" ... but I came with the idea to be MUSCULAR. :angel::idea::showoff::weightlifter::bench::flex:

But I never thought about competing. Stage was no place for me. I just wanted to achieve the body like I saw in magazines....I was training for one year in the small gym in the town where I used to live.

One day in the Summer 1995 I trained in some other gym in another city, where I was with my family on the vacation. And I met one competitor there. He trained with a female, who was a bodybuilder too – as her coach. I was stared at them almost half of an hour.. :o:o I never saw bodybuilders life - in the gym I worked out were only powerlifters, athletes, fighters - no bodybuilders. Later he waited for me - and asked me if I compete too...I thought he is crazy :nuts: I did everything myself untill that time. And never thought about real precontest. He told me I have a great frame and I may do well in the teenage class division. :angel:

So I was bitten by the competition bug. My road was much longer than I expected - and it is already in my blog on BB.com:o. But I may say one year later I really stood on stage and two years later I was second in the nationals - teen class. And I still love it since nowdays.:bowdown:

DAUGTHEROFGOD
08-26-2008, 12:37 PM
WORKING IN A HEALTH CLUB BACK IN 1991, MY OLD BOSS OUT ME IN MY 1ST SHOW, THEN I DID SHOWS IN 1997 AND 1998, TOOK TINE OFF DUE TO LIFE, THEN AFTER I GOT SAVED I CAME BACK AND IT'S BEEN FUN EVEN SINCE:waving:

judoka48
12-05-2008, 06:27 AM
After retiring from judo...Olympic Training; I entered nursing school. Wanted to find something to get off the couch and out of the books. I missed training and competiting...Figure helped tune in to my feminine side....Actually I think it helped me to develop one! Ha, ha. (I'm a rough around the edges type of girl.)