PDA

View Full Version : How long of a drive is it to your gym??

k_fitness09
11-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Just wondering how far you all drive to your gym..There is a really nice gym I'd love to workout at, but it's about a 40m drive. Worth it or not??

ripitupbaby
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
We have three gyms all in the same membership, and they are all 10-15 minutes from the house in any direction.

40 minutes is worth it if you just can't put something decent together closer to home, or if it's something special. When I was training Olympic weightlifting earlier this year, the gym was 45 minutes each way, and I went 3 times a week. I wouldn't do it just for nicer cardio equipment, but if you can't get a decent workout in every day of the week closer to home, I would...OR if you can afford the second membership and go to the nicer one on the weekends. Second memberships are always nice :)

jewelofnile69
11-19-2010, 11:56 AM
It takes me 3 minutes to get to my gym. But I've gone longer before. Sometimes I drive 20 minutes to meet a friend. When I was in the Army stationed at Fort Hood, TX, I'd drive down to Austin (45 minutes) to go work out at a couple of the Gold's down there. Either by myself or with friends I had down in Austin. Sometimes the drive was worth it. :)

Becca Staggs
11-19-2010, 11:59 AM
My commute to the gym is about 10 mins when I go in the morning (5:30am, all blinking yellow lights, no traffic) but at 5pm it would be almost 20 min. I go in the mornings:D

40 min isn't worth it to me. My old gym was 30 mins each way (on a good day, traffic wise) and in the winter in MI, it was close to an hour, that made a one hour trip to the gym almost three, plus the gas money. When I cruched the numbers, I was spending almost three hours a week in the car just to get to the gym, and an extran tan of gas every two weeks. The time I saved by swtiching to a closer gym is worth it to me. My old gym was SUPER nice, nicest in town, had a pool, indoor track, racket ball courts, bball courts, saunas, steam rooms...but I never used that stuff. I love my Powerhouse now, it's bare bones but it does what I need.

ShawnCarla
11-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Mine's 15-20min depending on traffic... convenience is key to me... especially when working two jobs. I do most of my cardio at home. The gym itself really doesn't matter to me because as long as there are dumbbells and basic equipment, I can get in a great workout. It's not the "stuff" in a gym that makes it great... it's what you put into it!

VictoriaFigure
11-19-2010, 01:57 PM
My gym is 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. I have been thinking about joining the hospital gym across the street as a second gym for morning cardio and an occasional change of scenery but it's kind of expenseive at $60/month.

dvsness
11-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Mine is 10 minutes away or less. How much time you can spend commuting to the gym depends on your life and schedule. I simply don't have the time for a trip like that.

magzie
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
My main gym is a 20-minute walk from my home. In poor weather, I go to another gym which is a 5-minute walk from my workplace.

There is a gym across the city that has a lot of fantastic equipment but would take me 30 minutes or more to get there by transit. For me, it is totally not worth the extra time and hassle for the different equipment.

KP DIVA
11-19-2010, 03:02 PM
5 minutes if all the lights are green! I've driven as far as 20-25mins for a 24hr. gym but not very practical for me on a regular basis.

JLB001
11-19-2010, 04:01 PM
5 to 10 mins depending if I hit all green lights and no idiots drivers in front of me.

Suzanne
11-19-2010, 04:05 PM
20 min

when we lived in IL it was 3 blocks

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I have a few I can go to. The closest and the one I use most often is about 10min depending on traffic. The other is closer to 20 min…which is why I don't use it quite as often unless I'm going to be out that way (that one is closer to work/school)

I dont' think I'd travel 40 min, unless it was totally worth it..like they really had stuff I couldn't do without. I'd try and find something closer. You imagine that is an hour and 20 min of driving of your day just getting to and from the gym.

SheWulf
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM
5 mins, sometimes 10 due to all the traffic lights. It's around 2 miles away.

And I work there, since quitting my other job I really appreciate all the gas money I am saving!

I don't think I'd want to drive over 15 mins.

k_fitness09
11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies. After thinkning about it, 40 minutes is not worth it. I dont have the time anyways...Full time student and 2 jobs. What was I thinkin:nuts: LOL...I go to a different gym on Saturdays like 90 minutes away to workout and do bootcamp with my trainer. I get great workouts now at my gym. I guess I was just wanting something new, something different. But I guess the old saying is right. Why fix something thats not broke, right??:)

dawnr1101
11-19-2010, 10:33 PM
My current gym gives me a membership to 5 gyms close by. I use two of them and one is about 5 min away and the other is about 10. I did belong to one about 2 years ago that was 15-20 min away and I left that gym for one that had more equipment and it would take me about 40 min to get to...it was a nice gym but I left for one closer to home.

If the gym you are looking at has everything you need and other ones around you don't go for it.

Maeg13
11-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Primary membership is about a 90 second drive. But the other 3 memberships I have are about a 15-20 min drive depending on traffic & time of day.
Gotta love havin options!

Laura K
11-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I like this thread :D One is 5-10 minutes away and the other two are 10-20 minutes away depending on traffic and time of day!

LizS
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I go to 3
BodyWorks Fitness is 20 minutes
Power & Fitness is 45 minutes
CalCourts (where I go the very least) is 40 minutes.

When I was a competitive powerlifter, I'd drive up to 5 hours both ways once a week to train.

TiffanyGaughan
11-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I have a few gyms that are within 7 miles.

I was flying to Arizona once a month during contest prep for my first show, I think that is like 750 miles.

:thumbsup:

Seriously though convenience is super important for the daily (or twice daily) workouts for me.

ambydawn
11-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I second Lori's comment. If you can't get a good workout each day, it may be worth it if you can find the time. Otherwise it is just hinders the whole process. I used to live in a small town just outside Indianapolis, and would drive 30-35 minutes into the city each day to get my workout in because the gyms in my town sucked. One was tiny and overpriced and the other was old and overpriced. However, I worked in the city too (though not in the same area) so it wasn't travel JUST to workout every day.
I moved to Columbus, Ohio a few months ago, and can now walk to my gym in 15 minutes! Gotta love that, cause I hate driving!

sassy69
11-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I had a Gold's membership w/ two options, one close to work, one close to home. Since Crunch bought them out and jacked up the price for a travel pass, I have expanded my memberships to include a 24 hr as well. Its currently a "Sport" level membership, but since switching jobs recently, I'm loooking at expanding that to a Supersport level (or however they call it) to include some additional gyms closer to my new work. So I've got options, most of which are within 10 min of wherever I am. There's still only one where I have friends I can actually hang out with. That's the one thing I hate. I feel like the only fossil left over from the hardcore days of real lifting.

I will also be incorporating 1x / week, a 45 min 1-way drive to my new coach's gym, and I'd travel that far to meet friends at a different gym or just for a change of scenery - but only when I have the time. Othewise, with traffic during the week or needing to go at 6 am, its gotta be 5-10 min or less, otherwise the logistics make it more of PITA to go than I have the patience for.

chicky9914
11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
2 minutes. New gym getting built down the street so it should be 1.5 min :)

White Knight
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm a member to two gyms.. both 10 minutes away.. One close to work, one close to home.

A 40 minute drive is long...makes it easier to bail

TanyaB
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
A 40 minute drive is long...makes it easier to bail

I totally agree! Up until 10 days ago I worked out 30 minutes away - nothing like working all day, coming home to eat, then spending ANOTHER 60+ minutes in the car for a workout that usually took 45 tops. I bailed a lot :o

That said - It is the best facility around and I will still go there on weekends but I changed jobs and there is a gym across the street I can go to at lunch time. Not as many choices (like no squat rack) but it is already making life easier after only a week.

FitBody Lynn
11-22-2010, 03:00 AM
My gym is a half hour from home but 10 minutes from work. I only work parttime so I drive a half hour four days a week but to me it's worth it. I live in a small town and the only thing nearby are SnapFitness and Anytime or 24Hr Fitness. Those two gyms are so small here that there are days you can't do the cardio you want because of waiting in line and the weights are so limited. So I drive to a huge gym and have fun!

I'd be so bored at the two tiny gyms in town that I'd never go.

k_fitness09
11-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I go to 3 gyms pretty much now..2 gyms that I go to everyday, one for cardio and one for workouts are only 10 minutes away. THe 3rd gym I got a pretty decent drive to. But so worth it! Its on;y on Saturdays. Thats to do Mike's bootcamps and his shoulder workouts. I have the things I need at the two smaller gyms. I just was looking for something different and bigger. However the plus about the one I lift at now is one of those hard core gyms. Old school ;)

Lisa E
11-22-2010, 12:02 PM
1000 feet to Powerhouse and 6 miles to Ballys. Ballys is a national membership though so that is usually where I workout when I am traveling and competing.

Alex A
11-28-2010, 02:28 AM
How many of you avoid the convenience of a gym close to home just to get a better workout at a gym further away...

I was driving about 20 min to go Golds when there is a Worlds gym about 5 minutes away... the problem is that the gym close to home... sucks! So its worth the extra drive.

Jodi_Lane
11-28-2010, 06:08 AM
My gym is about a 3 minute walk from our apartment. When I moved to Seattle I sold my car because I know I can walk or take the bus. Parking around here is annoying and I work at my home office, so why bother right? Sean carpools with work friends so this is what works for me. I'm actually switching gyms now that is going to be about a 5 or 6 minute walk. No big deal right? Exactly, because it's going to be a better work environment.

When we made the mistake of moving to Bellevue, there were NO gyms there that I liked at all...So, in the mornings, I would ride to work with Sean (he worked about 15 or 20 mins away from Bellevue) and go to the Gold's Gym there in Redmond, WA...it was amazing... I miss it! But the bus ride home was about 1 hour. YES 1 hour. I got a lot of reading done, and it was SO worth it.

My point is, do what you've got to do in order to make yourself love your gym visits. It is worth it if you have to the money and time for it. I just got sick of taking the bus and stuff because I REALLY REALLY hated living in Bellevue. But now we're back in Seattle, WA (we were only gone about 4.5 months, hated bellevue that much) I can go to the gyms I want here.

Sure, I like the current one I go to but I was just talking about this on my blog...the atmosphere in it SUCKS and drains me...right when I walk in the door I want to leave. It's boring! There is a YMCA about two blocks farther...I'm switching to it because it actually has Zumba classes whereas this current gym has no classes. I need fun cardio to survive! LMAO!

I say, go for it but keep the membership at the closer one (or find a cheap closer one for a fall back). That way you can go to either one depending on your mood. I used to have two gym memberships! Here I don't need two since the one I'm switching to has everything I need and a little more! ;)

Jodi_Lane
11-28-2010, 06:12 AM
My commute to the gym is about 10 mins when I go in the morning (5:30am, all blinking yellow lights, no traffic) but at 5pm it would be almost 20 min. I go in the mornings:D

40 min isn't worth it to me. My old gym was 30 mins each way (on a good day, traffic wise) and in the winter in MI, it was close to an hour, that made a one hour trip to the gym almost three, plus the gas money. When I cruched the numbers, I was spending almost three hours a week in the car just to get to the gym, and an extran tan of gas every two weeks. The time I saved by swtiching to a closer gym is worth it to me. My old gym was SUPER nice, nicest in town, had a pool, indoor track, racket ball courts, bball courts, saunas, steam rooms...but I never used that stuff. I love my Powerhouse now, it's bare bones but it does what I need.
Yeah, the weather conditions situation is what I would look into. Here in Seattle we only once in a while have crazy winter situations (like last week). However, that's just a week. So, if you live in an area where it'll snow real bad meaning you can't take the risk of driving...Then, I suggest only getting that 2nd membership during the spring/summer so that you can enjoy it instead of worrying that you didn't go because of the crappy weather.

tammyp
11-28-2010, 10:35 AM
20 steps:D

k_fitness09
11-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, the weather conditions situation is what I would look into. Here in Seattle we only once in a while have crazy winter situations (like last week). However, that's just a week. So, if you live in an area where it'll snow real bad meaning you can't take the risk of driving...Then, I suggest only getting that 2nd membership during the spring/summer so that you can enjoy it instead of worrying that you didn't go because of the crappy weather.

Very good point Jodi!

I checked the price of the membership and its not bad. So I think I might go ahead and purchase both places when spring time rolls around. I live out in the country, so roads can get pretty bad in the winter.