PDA

View Full Version : French vegans in dock over baby's death

Siouxcountry
03-30-2011, 02:45 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.35c2caa5efa0e183b7b38a2d0e2b7f4 0.71&show_article=1

French vegans in dock over baby's death

Two vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou, whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint-Maulvis, a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.

The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.

The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.

An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.

"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne-Laure Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of Amiens where the trial is taking place.

The couple has been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face up to 30 years in prison if convicted.

AnaC.
03-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Wow! Why couldn't they feed the baby pureed veggies? If they're going to be vegans at least they should be educated about it.

Becca Staggs
03-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I saw this yesterday too. I'm all for living and embracing your lifestyle, but inital thought was the same as Ana's. Be educated. I mean, shit! How do you not notice your child is malnourished or underweight until he was on death's doorstep? So sad.

jewelisa
03-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I saw this yesterday too. I'm all for living and embracing your lifestyle, but inital thought was the same as Ana's. Be educated. I mean, shit! How do you not notice your child is malnourished or underweight until he was on death's doorstep? So sad.

x2

Che
03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
x2

X3! I was vegan for four years and saw the gamut of junk-food vegans to people who thrived on a completely plant-based diet. I have friends who are "naturalists" in the same way with completely healthy children, but they are also educated about their food choices and eat a balanced diet. This is very sad; however, what about all of their parents who are feeding their children to death, or at least early onset diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, and colon cancer? I think that is equally as sad...

dvsness
03-30-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't understand why this child wasn't consuming food aside from nursing at 11 months. Most babies are introduced to cereals and produce between 4 and 6 months of age, which are vegan foods.

jewelisa
03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Personnally I have encountered some women who believe thier " milk " is the ultimate and end all ... Not finding the right words for what I am trying to convey ?

My daughter started throwing me up at about 4 months I did not take it personnally I went to the doctor and was advised to try formula with cereal etc etc .. My daughter wanted FOOD !! That was 24 years ago ... so I must assume things are more advanced now. I see no excuse for this ???

This is a different country but I remember having regular check ups with her to montior her and shots ??

Very sad

jewelofnile69
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't understand why this child wasn't consuming food aside from nursing at 11 months. Most babies are introduced to cereals and produce between 4 and 6 months of age, which are vegan foods.

exactly!!

Vanessa, your baby is the size of an eggplant now?! :)

dvsness
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
exactly!!

Vanessa, your baby is the size of an eggplant now?! :)

I swear they base the sizes on foods to mess with me, lol. Don't worry, eggplant is vegan. :p

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
03-30-2011, 03:31 PM
I swear they base the sizes on foods to mess with me, lol. Don't worry, eggplant is vegan. :p

Haha, just noticed that! That is awesome! 25 weeks! yay!

As far as the story above. I work in a NICU and also worked ICN where we have infants come back to the hospital after being discharged, who are usually suffering from Hyperbilirubinemia (jaundice) and dehydration, usually do to BREASTFEEDING. You would be surprised how many women will ONLY breastfeed when they don't produce enough milk, or whatever but refuse to supplement either. Of course like Vanessa said, at 11 months, that child should have been eating some solids (cereal, fruit, veggies) by then. It just tells you how uneducated or ignorant that mother was.

katcur
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
I am a huge breast-feeding supporter (I also do not judge those who go with formula)...with that being said children need to be introduced to "solid" food at 6mo...no earlier (there have been studies that show children who consume cereals/solids earlier than that have a higher chance of being obese)<===not sure how scientifically sound that is and can also cause/aggravate allergies. If the parents were worried about the food being certified vegan then they could have made their own food. It is VERY easy to do... I think that this article puts a horrible face on breastfeeding mothers. I would NEVER push my views on someone to choose that route, it is a VERY personal decision! I am by NO MEANS defending these people. But I am defending breastfeeding. My child will be 2 1/2 this Apr I can count on one hand the amount of times he has ever been sick "just one benefit to mention" IMO I think there are amazing benefits that in no way science has been able to match thus far. BUT it is not for everybody and sometimes there are circumstances that make it impossible. I get that and completely understand any and all reasons to choose formula.

Becca Staggs
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
I don't think anyone here is knocking breast feeding - no need to defend. Actually i think most of us here are pro-breast feeding based off things I've read from this board over the years...

BUT, these people were not educated, and for that matter, didn't even use common sense.. It honestly scares me - the number of IDIOTS out there procreating in this world.

Parenting classes should be mandatory in HS or college. I think more people would benefit from those than trigonometry. It seems the people who are least able to take care of their kids are the ones that are multiplying the most. Society, health, violence, everything seems to be tied into this and has a steak in it.
/endrant

dvsness
03-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Actually, the study you're referencing only indicate a higher rate of obesity if the child is both formula fed AND starts solids prior to 6 months. It didn't indicate the same results for children who nursed yet started solids prior to 6 months. Regardless, if a child is raised consuming nutritious foods in appropriate portions I honestly don't think the study makes a bit of difference.

At any rate, as a mother who nursed her first son for 9-10 months, I think it's ridiculous to have a child survive on breastmilk alone until that age in a developed country like France. It's understandable in some third world countries with horrid circumstances where there is little food for survival, the water supply is inadequate and being malnourished is to be expected. I'm really curious as to whether this child was receiving regular pediatric care.

asuit2rememberJen
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't think anyone here is knocking breast feeding - no need to defend. Actually i think most of us here are pro-breast feeding based off things I've read from this board over the years...

BUT, these people were not educated, and for that matter, didn't even use common sense.. It honestly scares me - the number of IDIOTS out there procreating in this world.

Parenting classes should be mandatory in HS or college. I think more people would benefit from those than trigonometry. It seems the people who are least able to take care of their kids are the ones that are multiplying the most. Society, health, violence, everything seems to be tied into this and has a steak in it.
/endrant

Agree!!

AnaC.
03-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Actually, the study you're referencing only indicate a higher rate of obesity if the child is both formula fed AND starts solids prior to 6 months. It didn't indicate the same results for children who nursed yet started solids prior to 6 months. Regardless, if a child is raised consuming nutritious foods in appropriate portions I honestly don't think the study makes a bit of difference.

At any rate, as a mother who nursed her first son for 9-10 months, I think it's ridiculous to have a child survive on breastmilk alone until that age in a developed country like France. It's understandable in some third world countries with horrid circumstances where there is little food for survival, the water supply is inadequate and being malnourished is to be expected. I'm really curious as to whether this child was receiving regular pediatric care.

I agree. I breastfed mine until they were both 11 months old but they also ate solid foods. In fact, I started feeding them when they were 4 months old and they have been very lean since they were little.. (only had nice chunky rolls when they were babies :p).

If they are going to breastfeed, and they are vegans, at least get educated regarding nutrition for their babies... this is for everybody... whether you breastfeed or not. This is definitely a case of negligence on their part.