PDA

View Full Version : New suit has stones falling off ~ HELP

1buffmom
04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I just had a new suit made, the first time I put it on after receiving it ~ a whole bunch of stones fell off. The suit maker sent me glue and additional stones to repair it (no instructions or word as to why this happened). I wore it for a show and basically left a trail of rhinestones where ever I went. We were seriously glueing them back on with the suit on me, back stage. It is starting to look horrible, I contacted the person who made my suit but she is not returning my emails.

I am just wondering if stones (not just one or two, but 20+) falling off of a brand new suit is normal, and what would be (if anything) expected of the suit maker. I am super dissapointed and frustrated! I would love to hear your experiences with your suits and this problem, and would love even more to hear from some of the suit designers regarding what they would do if a suit they made had this problem! Needless to say, I will be in the market for a new suit sooner then expected and I am looking through all of the suits listed here! Thanks for your insight and opinions!

TanyaB
04-29-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't think it is normal at all! I have 2 suits stoned by 2 different designers and not a single stone fell off of either of them (both have been worn once).

I hope one of the designers here can help you!

Scarl3tbutt3rfly
04-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I don't think that is typical if your suit designer knows what they are doing, they shouldn't be regularly just falling off. I know I stoned my own suit last year and had this problem with stones falling off and even then I only had a few. Me being a complete noob in this department I used hot fix only… Now I know E6000! haha.

TickledPink
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
I've stoned all my own suits & have had the odd one fall off, but never to the extreme you described. I've even washed mine in the washing machine & they didn't come off. Hotfix stones suck (my opinion), I prefer the glue. It's too bad she isn't returning your calls... I guess all you can do is glue them back on? Sorry to hear :(

lann1011
04-29-2011, 02:48 AM
I did my own suit,a few of them, and only have a few fall off... I would suggest E-6000 glue. Holds better in my opinion...

TameMe
04-29-2011, 02:52 AM
I would say it's odd, but sometimes fabrics can play havoc on the gluing process especially holograms, they can be very slippery which then the glue doesn't adhere as well. But as a suit maker if anyone came to me with that problem I would have them send it back and replace any lose stone at NO CHARGE!!!
Sending extra stones is common but glue too...... lol might be a bad sign.
I typically test my suits before I send them up, run my finger nail around the stones and test how secure they are. I would think this person is probably new to the gluing process.
Email me if she doesn't and I'll see what I can do
tameemarie@gmail.com

1buffmom
04-29-2011, 03:08 AM
I would say it's odd, but sometimes fabrics can play havoc on the gluing process especially holograms, they can be very slippery which then the glue doesn't adhere as well. But as a suit maker if anyone came to me with that problem I would have them send it back and replace any lose stone at NO CHARGE!!!
Sending extra stones is common but glue too...... lol might be a bad sign.
I typically test my suits before I send them up, run my finger nail around the stones and test how secure they are. I would think this person is probably new to the gluing process.
Email me if she doesn't and I'll see what I can do
tameemarie@gmail.com

Thanks so much for the replys, I dont know whether to be happy or cry....I am glad that this is not common and my next experience should be better, but I spent a bucket of money on something less then expected!!

TameMe: I appreciate your offer! I may end up taking you up on that offer, I have three weeks until Jr USA's and I have spent the last few nights glueing and reglueing. When I emailed my suit maker, I explained what was happening and fully expected to hear from her just what you said "send it to me so I can see what is happening" but I get nothing. I am glad to know that there are reliable people out there. I can say, I wont be recommending her to anyone. The suit is beautiful but really??? ugh....I will be looking at your site for a future suit to be sure!

JLB001
04-29-2011, 03:44 AM
They should not be falling off the suit that easy or at all.

Becca Staggs
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah! That is terrible to hear that she hasn't gotten back to you about it...
I have NO CLUE what i'm doing when it comes to stoning - but I stoned my own bikini last year and not one stone came off...
Best of luck to you! We have many great suit girls here that will hopefully help you out. Let us know what happens with your suit girl and whether or not she gets back to you!

jewelisa
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Haven't had that happen, I am sure a stone may come off here or there. However, sounds like a major issue and I am surprised the person you purchased the suit from does not want to get it back to fix or see what is going on !!! I would want it back god forbide it happens again????

I only have a couple of extra suits made at this time but I am sure Tamee has more for you to choose from. Very sorry for the extra $$ you have to put out. I hope the lady returns your call.

ParadiseCup
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
who did you get the suit from ?

ShawnCarla
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
My best guess is that maybe she didn't stretch the suit out when she stoned it... then every time you put it on the suit stretches and the glue doesn't, therefore the stones fall off.
I think that mistakes happen but if she doesn't step up to help fix it, you should let us all know so no one buys from her and goes through the same thing you are!

1buffmom
04-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok, so I contacted her again after receiving such great feedback from you guys. I told her that I posted my problem here on siouxcountry and told her what everyone is saying. MIRACULOUSLY she emailed back, NOW she wants me to send the suit back so she can see what is going on. My issue is....I leave in 2 1/2 weeks for the Jr USA's and I am going to be totally freaked out the entire time my suit is gone....and then I may have the same issue when I get it back. I am struggling with what to do at this point. I am thinking of keeping it through this show and sending it after, so I am not stressing ~ but it would be nice to have it perfect! OMG what to do....

TanyaB
04-29-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm glad she finally got back to you. Have you thought of renting a back up suit? I know Tamee has rentals.

ShawnCarla
04-29-2011, 07:13 PM
You like the fit of the suit right? Ask her if she has a back up suit in the same measurments that she can send you. That way if something happens and she doesn't get your suit back to you on time, you're not stuck.
OR If you feel confident in being able to stone yourself, do that. The time frame is a little scary I understand... but from what you're saying it sounds like your suit is un-wearable as it is now. I think one of the above may be your best option.

Jodi_Lane
04-30-2011, 07:15 AM
That's NOT normal at all for new suit stones to fall off. Now, I do have experience with faulty stones. Not the actual stone part but the foil backing. Only ever happened to me once. That could possibly be the issue, but if she's avoiding your emails that's weird. If it were me I would totally make it right some how.

Let me ask you this, when the stones fall off...is the foil backing still stuck to the suit? If so, then that is what it sounds like--faulty foil backing on the stones. It's rare though.

If you need a cheaper 2pc I have like 15 suits I'm getting ready to post for VERY low cost, several of them have full stonework. Just give me an email jodisturdevant@gmail.com and we'll work something out. I hate that the designer isn't willing to work with you on this--upsetting! Perhaps she just doesn't know what to do in a situation like this. Not all people that run businesses are good at knowing what to do in a panic situation. Let me know okay? Big hugs. And sorry this happened to you during your show...ugh.

Jodi_Lane
04-30-2011, 07:17 AM
My best guess is that maybe she didn't stretch the suit out when she stoned it... then every time you put it on the suit stretches and the glue doesn't, therefore the stones fall off.
I think that mistakes happen but if she doesn't step up to help fix it, you should let us all know so no one buys from her and goes through the same thing you are!
You know that actually might not cause the stones to fall off either if you use the correct glue...glue that is used on suits should be flexible. But it does make the pattern look gross if the bottoms are not stretched out while stonework is done.

BikiniAshley_62
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh Lord girl, That sucks.... I had a bad experience with a suit designer too (She is good, but has no business marketing to NPC AND IFBB girls- the suits are POOR quality and won't hold up) I hope it isn't the same one.

1buffmom
05-01-2011, 01:38 AM
I wanted to update everyone. The designer got back to me and offered for me to send my suit to her to fix it and she also offered to remake a new suit for me. She said that this has never happened before and is willing to make it right. Of course it doesnt solve my problem of what to do about Jr USA's, but I wanted to let everyone know that she is trying to rectify the situation. I do agree, it should have been fixed from the start (probably would have avoided all of this). Thanks for all of the advice and support!:) I am no less stressed out, but at least I dont feel like I have wasted money.

ParadiseCup
05-01-2011, 06:02 AM
who did you get the suit from ?

:popcorn:

1buffmom
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I am not going to say who the designer is, if what she is telling me is true, she has not had this problem before. Could be my dumb luck. I am going to see how the new suit comes out, I expect it to be 100% better then the first! I dont want to do anything to harm her business, if this was a one time thing.