PDA

View Full Version : After a disappointing showing at the Olympia, Courtney West does not make the trip to India

JasonLannigan
09-25-2011, 04:46 AM
2010 Houston Pro Figure champ Courtney West did not make the trip to India to compete at the first ever Sheru Classic (she was on the official list). This likely has something to do with her poor showing at the Figure Olympia one week ago, where Courtney was not in the conditioned needed to place. I hope we see her in a future show at her best.

drkfranzen
09-25-2011, 11:09 AM
She has an incredible physique - we were in the same height class at USAs last year where she went on to win her Pro card AND the Overall. Hope she's able to bring her best to the stage again soon!

Becca Staggs
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Has she said why??
Flights to India are THOUSANDS of dollars. I wonder if she had already bought her ticket?

I love her physique as well and hope all is well with her and that this was just a case of her not being ready and nothing more.

buffbabeGA
09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Becca to my knowledge the athletes were flown there by sheru they didn't pay their own way. Hotel , flight, hair and makeup all paid for

JasonLannigan
09-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Not a word about her missing the Sheru Classic on her Facebook pages.

Becca Staggs
09-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Oh wow!! Well if that was the case I wonder why more athletes didn't do this show?

I heard that hair/makeup was covered but I hadn't heard that about the rest... Talk about first class treatment!

KP DIVA
09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Oh wow!! Well if that was the case I wonder why more athletes didn't do this show?

I heard that hair/makeup was covered but I hadn't heard that about the rest... Talk about first class treatment!

That makes me wonder too - a week after the Olympia, I am surprised more ppl didn't compete if it was an all expense paid trip.

kaytikat
09-25-2011, 07:30 PM
That makes me wonder too - a week after the Olympia, I am surprised more ppl didn't compete if it was an all expense paid trip.

Who knows. Hubby is convinced it's because people are concerned for their safety. Mumbai has been the site of some serious terrorist attacks and violence.

Staci
09-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Becca to my knowledge the athletes were flown there by sheru they didn't pay their own way. Hotel , flight, hair and makeup all paid for

That's pretty poor sportsmanship to have thousands spent on you and then back out at the last minute because you don't think you'll do well. Wonder if there's a reason we don't know about.

sandi_stuart
09-25-2011, 07:43 PM

I heard from one of the pro figure competitors that the promoter handpicked 6 girls and paid their travel expenses. I am not certain that ALL the competitors were 100% sponsored.

I hope Courtney is okay and whatever personal reasons kept her from competing are resolved.

KP DIVA
09-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Who knows. Hubby is convinced it's because people are concerned for their safety. Mumbai has been the site of some serious terrorist attacks and violence.

That was my 1st thought when they announced that show - Safety!!

I heard from one of the pro figure competitors that the promoter handpicked 6 girls and paid their travel expenses. I am not certain that ALL the competitors were 100% sponsored.

They had nice prize $$$ so maybe his marketing tool was to bring in the best...$7500 for 1st in figure...isn't that the highest w/ the exception of O & Arnold? I'm sure many more ppl will try to go next year w/ that purse.

I hope Courtney is okay and whatever personal reasons kept her from competing are resolved.

Yeah, hope she is to!! That's not a trip you just want to cancel at the last minute!!

lil mama
09-25-2011, 08:27 PM
wow, Now that is interesting. If its a fact that would be lame to pay for only 6 and the rest would have to come on their own dime.

JasonLannigan
09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
It was clear to me long ago that the top men & women were invited and would have travel expenses paid for. Was Courtney one of the lucky ones who would have gotten travel expenses paid for? My guess is, yes, the women who placed top 6 at the Figure International were the first women on the official list. Courtney placed 6th at the Figure International. She missed out on an adventure of a lifetime.

Not all got travel expenses paid for, but the treatment they all received was incredible as Heather Grace pointed out........... :)

Just wanted you all to know how incredibly well Sheru is taking care of us! :respect:Tanning, make-up, hair: all complimentary. Each athlete has a personal "athlete manager" that ensures we are kept abreast of all details. We each received a tracksuit and the Press Conference had quite a bit of Mainstream coverage.

What an honor to be a part of such an amazing event!

steve147
09-26-2011, 01:36 AM
Bad sportsmanship

KP DIVA
09-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Bad sportsmanship

I think that's a bit premature as we really don't know the true reason.......just speculation that her absence MAY have been due to her placing at the O.

LaurenFazio
09-26-2011, 02:53 AM
WOW.
So they had their flights and hotels paid for?!? Jesus!
I was wondering who was fronting the huge bill to fly to Mumbai!!!!

dallas3
09-26-2011, 03:13 AM
WOW.
So they had their flights and hotels paid for?!? Jesus!
I was wondering who was fronting the huge bill to fly to Mumbai!!!!

The promoter is loaded.

LaurenFazio
09-26-2011, 03:20 AM
The promoter is loaded.

Apparently!!!!! Haha

RedOne
09-26-2011, 03:22 AM
The promoter is loaded.

I wonder if he came out of it with a profit.

dallas3
09-26-2011, 03:28 AM
I wonder if he came out of it with a profit.

I'm sure he will, he's rolling with the big boys promoting this event.

cray17
09-26-2011, 05:48 AM
I thinking there's that chance Courtney might be going through with something. Why would you skip out on the trip of a lifetime...especially when little to no money is coming out of your pocket?! The only reason I can think of is she's dealing with something we're unsure of yet. This is the same woman that last year donated her entire winnings from her first pro show win to breast cancer.

I'm HOPING it's not bad sportsmanship on her part, but something tells me there's more to it than just skipping out on this amazing opportunity.

fitcrazy
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I thinking there's that chance Courtney might be going through with something. Why would you skip out on the trip of a lifetime...especially when little to no money is coming out of your pocket?! The only reason I can think of is she's dealing with something we're unsure of yet. This is the same woman that last year donated her entire winnings from her first pro show win to breast cancer.

I'm HOPING it's not bad sportsmanship on her part, but something tells me there's more to it than just skipping out on this amazing opportunity.

OMG!

I agree w/ Cray!

Courtney is an amazing person at heart and Thank you for reminding us about her unselfishness and kindness!

KP DIVA
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM

LIKE!!!

MrsFluffyBunny
09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
OMG!

I agree w/ Cray!

Courtney is an amazing person at heart and Thank you for reminding us about her unselfishness and kindness!

Ditto. Thanks, cray.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

epolis
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I think you can tell by her physique that she's going through something. I don't think her choice to not compete had anything to do with her thinking she wasn't going to do well. I think there's something going on with her body, and I hate that poor sportsmanship is even mentioned. I have a feeling, unfortunately, that this girl is suffering in silence, and I really feel for her.

fitglam
09-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I wish her the best, and I hope she has a good support system around her.

You obviously don't go from winning your pro-card and winning a pro show one year, to showing up at the Olympia in sub-par condition and then skipping out on a (likely) all expenses paid trip of a lifetime, and NOTHING is going on.

I feel for her.

Yes, thanks for reminding us. That is really extraordinary of her. I hope she's OK and bounces back with a bang.

courtneybwest
05-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you so much for all of your concern. I really appreciate the people who do not pass judgement on what they do not understand. If you have followed my career, you know that I work hard and with integrity. However, 2011 was a year of many lessons. It has personally taken me this long to figure out for myself exactly what happened.

The 2011 Arnold was my 3rd show in 8 months and my body was not responding as well as it did the first 2 shows. I had to push myself to some extremes to bring the package I did. I placed in the top 6, no regrets. I now realize the mistake I made was I continued to try to get ready for show after show throughout the summer without giving my body a rest. By the time august came around, I was continually getting sick and my body was no longer responding to anything we had done in the past. 3 weeks out had an extreme reaction to a juvederm injection (yeah, for the sake of vanity...im a jackass for this one) that made my bottom lip painfully swell 3x its size and required the steroid cortisone to reduce the inflammation. If you understand the effects of cortisone then you know how this would be detrimental to competition prep. I dieted harder, carb depleted, pushed more cardio and then severely dehydrated to try to pull it together. By the time I got to Vegas, I was experiencing weakness, confusion, chronic diarrhea and an irregular heartbeat but I was determined to follow through on my commitment. I knew I was way off for the O but I didn't want to let anyone down regardless of how humiliating it is to step on stage knowing you look like shit..

When the show was over I was to stay on this program, fly home, turn around and fly another 18 hours to India and do it all over again. There was no way. I hit a mental and physical breaking point. After a long, emotional discussion with my family and Dr we came to the decision that it was not in my best interest to continue what I was doing. This was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make and I knew there would be consequenses but there comes a time when you must put your health first. Thanks to the support of my family and friends I honestly feel like I made the right decision.

My trip was paid for by the promoter. He was also so gracious as to fly my father to India with me, considering our safety concerns. Seriously, who would have missed out on this bc they might not win?? Not this girl! Sheru was very understanding of the situation and I have since paid him back for all expenses incurred on my and my fathers trip.

I have been working hard to reverse all the metabolic damage and adrenal fatigue from 2011 and am looking forward to stepping back on stage in 2012. Much love. CWest :)

Fleur
05-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you so much for all of your concern. I really appreciate the people who do not pass judgement on what they do not understand. If you have followed my career, you know that I work hard and with integrity. However, 2011 was a year of many lessons. It has personally taken me this long to figure out for myself exactly what happened.

The 2011 Arnold was my 3rd show in 8 months and my body was not responding as well as it did the first 2 shows. I had to push myself to some extremes to bring the package I did. I placed in the top 6, no regrets. I now realize the mistake I made was I continued to try to get ready for show after show throughout the summer without giving my body a rest. By the time august came around, I was continually getting sick and my body was no longer responding to anything we had done in the past. 3 weeks out had an extreme reaction to a juvederm injection (yeah, for the sake of vanity...im a jackass for this one) that made my bottom lip painfully swell 3x its size and required the steroid cortisone to reduce the inflammation. If you understand the effects of cortisone then you know how this would be detrimental to competition prep. I dieted harder, carb depleted, pushed more cardio and then severely dehydrated to try to pull it together. By the time I got to Vegas, I was experiencing weakness, confusion, chronic diarrhea and an irregular heartbeat but I was determined to follow through on my commitment. I knew I was way off for the O but I didn't want to let anyone down regardless of how humiliating it is to step on stage knowing you look like shit..

When the show was over I was to stay on this program, fly home, turn around and fly another 18 hours to India and do it all over again. There was no way. I hit a mental and physical breaking point. After a long, emotional discussion with my family and Dr we came to the decision that it was not in my best interest to continue what I was doing. This was one of the hardest decisions I ever had to make and I knew there would be consequenses but there comes a time when you must put your health first. Thanks to the support of my family and friends I honestly feel like I made the right decision.

My trip was paid for by the promoter. He was also so gracious as to fly my father to India with me, considering our safety concerns. Seriously, who would have missed out on this bc they might not win?? Not this girl! Sheru was very understanding of the situation and I have since paid him back for all expenses incurred on my and my fathers trip.

I have been working hard to reverse all the metabolic damage and adrenal fatigue from 2011 and am looking forward to stepping back on stage in 2012. Much love. CWest :)

Thanks for sharing your story Courtney! Glad to hear that you are doing better!!

Becca Staggs
05-09-2012, 02:30 PM
Yes, thank you for sharing your side of the story. I agree health should come first and wish you nothing but the best in the future. :hug3:

JasonLannigan
05-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. :respect: Every year women are harmed by extreme preps. Coming forward with your story not only clears up the matter of why you didn't look your best at the O and dropped out of the Sheru, but will hopefully open some eyes to the real dangers of extreme prep. We here at SC try to educate women on the dangers of prep, and encourage women to prep safely as possible.

lil mama
05-09-2012, 03:53 PM
:) You did the right thing by putting your health first:awesome: :waving: Best wishes to you and heres to a successful year for you :awesome::respect:

MrsFluffyBunny
05-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Best wishes, Courtney. Please take good care of yourself. It can be very difficult to apply deadlines by which you expect to be recovered from these things. Getting back to "normal" from where you were happens when it happens. Please don't push to get back on stage if it means putting your health at risk. We know how often that happens...

Good luck!

Laura Boisacq
05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you Courtney for sharing your experience. So many people just don't get what our bodies go through as we prep for one show after another. Kudos to you for making the right choice. Good luck in your future shows.

Eboney
05-14-2012, 09:16 PM
:respect: Thankyou for sharing

TFenske
05-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I am happy your are feeling better and got healthy. No trophy is ever worth harming yourself. I look forward to your comeback

2hot4u
05-15-2012, 12:47 AM
So I am curious as to how she fixed her metabolic damage?? Courtney could you share your experience??

sherryb1
05-17-2012, 11:44 PM
This is great you are speaking about this as I see and hear these complaints in my gym all the time. Fitness is suppose to be about health and balance competing or not.
Thanks for sharing and speaking up about it. I wish you well!

Brankica
08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
So I am curious as to how she fixed her metabolic damage?? Courtney could you share your experience??

I would love to hear how this is fixed, or better yet - prevented if you are showing several shows in short period of time!