PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised someone does't get hurt

Siouxcountry
12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
:confused:

BDDyxXyf6UU

Taken from an event with veteran CrossFit athletes. Hitting axle clean and jerks. Supervised by Strongman Certified Coaches. Axle weight is about 10-15lbs. This lift is not a standard Clean and Jerk.

LaurenFazio
12-03-2011, 04:01 PM
OMG
I could barely watch this video. DISGUSTING

DawnMag
12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

epolis
12-03-2011, 04:19 PM
I posted this on my FB page 2 days ago. It started quite the discussion. Apparently the bar they're using is about 2 inches in diameter, which is why they're using the mixed grip. And the plates are bumper plates, so they're not lifting as heavy as it appears. The lift is a strongman lift, not a true olympic clean and jerk. Regardless, this shit is ridiculous, and these ppl are going to get hurt. The coaches aren't spotting ppl nor are they encouraging proper form. "fast hips" - WTF does that even mean? The ppl care more about PRs than they do form. Never a good idea. I like Erin Stern's vids, because she does the olympic stuff correctly.

Siouxcountry
12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
I posted this on my FB page 2 days ago. It started quite the discussion. Apparently the bar they're using is about 2 inches in diameter, which is why they're using the mixed grip. And the plates are bumper plates, so they're not lifting as heavy as it appears. The lift is a strongman lift, not a true olympic clean and jerk. Regardless, this shit is ridiculous, and these ppl are going to get hurt. The coaches aren't spotting ppl nor are they encouraging proper form. "fast hips" - WTF does that even mean? The ppl care more about PRs than they do form. Never a good idea. I like Erin Stern's vids, because she does the olympic stuff correctly.

And the best part is that these competitors are "veteran CrossFit athletes" and this contest is supervised by "Strongman Certified Coaches". :rolleyes: These coaches are irresponsible, and someone is going to get hurt.

epolis
12-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Part of me questions the validity of this "gym." A lot of crossfit gyms aren't actually sanctioned CF facilities. I think this group of ppl are a bunch of weekend warriors who decided to get together and open a gym. I'm not convinced this is a legit CF place.

I dont do CF, nor do I really agree with it. Having a PR goal just never seems good to me. Who cares how much you can clean and jerk, or how many pullups you can do in a row if your form is shit. When i'm on stage, that shit doesn't matter.

Ashley Briana
12-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Videos like this give crossfit a bad name... Mind you I do not do cross fit (wayyyy too lazy) but Scott does and his form is NEVER sacrificed for speed. His form is much better than many people I know that don't do crossfit. I think it's like anything... The crazy videos get popular and everyone sees them.

But yes, I agree. The people that pretend they are doing crossfit will get hurt... But then again when I used to work in box gyms the majority of people doing any exercise are going to get hurt! lol. I used to cringe watching people try and squat... THankfully now I work at a PT studio!

Siouxcountry
12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Part of me questions the validity of this "gym." A lot of crossfit gyms aren't actually sanctioned CF facilities. I think this group of ppl are a bunch of weekend warriors who decided to get together and open a gym. I'm not convinced this is a legit CF place.

I dont do CF, nor do I really agree with it. Having a PR goal just never seems good to me. Who cares how much you can clean and jerk, or how many pullups you can do in a row if your form is shit. When i'm on stage, that shit doesn't matter.

Here is the gym and staff... http://www.albanycrossfit.com/staff

Check out the pull ups one of the staff does...

Un9ODVNJxgg

KelKFitness
12-03-2011, 06:01 PM
The girl on the bench rubbing her knee at 1:30 and again after 2:00 says it all :nuts:

Ashley Briana
12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Here is the gym and staff... http://www.albanycrossfit.com/staff

Check out the pull ups one of the staff does...

Un9ODVNJxgg

Pretty sure those are butterfly pull ups... I always tell Scott they look like they hurt. haha

Siouxcountry
12-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Pretty sure those are butterfly pull ups... I always tell Scott they look like they hurt. haha

My shoulders are in pain just watching that video. :D

Ashley Briana
12-03-2011, 06:29 PM
My shoulders are in pain just watching that video. :D

hahah! Trust me, I always say the same thing! I don't know how that doesn't throw out their back!!!!

DawnMag
12-03-2011, 06:54 PM
I watched twice, I didn't see any pullups. :D
:nuts:

ShawnCarla
12-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I wanted to scream when I saw the dog walking around the gym in that first video around the 3 minute mark... all it takes is for them to drop one weight on that poor thing.

CarlaChapman
12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I Crossfitted for 18 months before starting to train for a comp. That video gives CF a bad name and the trainers I know would never encourage lifts like that. Crazy.

TigerEyes
12-03-2011, 08:57 PM
This is not crossfit, its strongman.... when I did strongman training i remember for the competition lift, the "clean" was not really a clean, but a "get the bar up to pressing position in anyway you can", so i can understand that part.... but it looks like the people in the video (especially the girls) should not be putting up that kind of weight overhead...the technique of the push press looks off.... like they need to decrease the weight and practice dropping under the bar a little more efficiently, if that makes sense.... I remember I used to get mad b/c I couldn't "clean" (aka get the bar up to press position in anyway...) the fat bar that the strongman guys used...even though if i would've been able to get it up to start i could have pressed it easily (apparently the opposite problem these girls are having)... but that was b/c i understood the technique of the press part...

The guys I trained with way back when (you know, from my back in the day videos), were strongman competitors, and one of them now owns a crossfit gym, and they were quite possibly the biggest sticklers for form/mechanics/technique/proper muscles firing that I have ever met...so its not necessarily all crossfit/strongman coaches promoting "get the weight up at all costs"....

Erin Stern was a track athlete as UF (while I was a gymnast there for one year too!! lol)... her lifts are strict olympic lifts as taught to a high level athlete... sure she uses those lifts now in her training, but its clear (by how GOOD she is at them) that she did not learn those recently for her figure training, but has probably been doing them for many years... props to her, as I think she's incredible!

Honestly though IMO, people should know and be able to perform the proper olympic lifting technique before moving on to strongman/crossfit style, where pushing the most weight (or speed or what have you) is most important...
anyways...thats all... :)

Ashley Briana
12-03-2011, 08:58 PM
This is not crossfit, its strongman.... when I did strongman training i remember for the competition lift, the "clean" was not really a clean, but a "get the bar up to pressing position in anyway you can", so i can understand that part.... but it looks like the people in the video (especially the girls) should not be putting up that kind of weight overhead...the technique of the push press looks off.... like they need to decrease the weight and practice dropping under the bar a little more efficiently, if that makes sense....

The guys I trained with way back when (you know, from my back in the day videos), were strongman competitors, and one of them now owns a crossfit gym, and they were quite possibly the biggest sticklers for form/mechanics/technique/proper muscles firing that I have ever met...so its not necessarily all crossfit/strongman coaches promoting "get the weight up at all costs"....

Erin Stern was a track athlete as UF (while I was a gymnast there for one year too!! lol)... her lifts are strict olympic lifts as taught to a high level athlete... sure she uses those lifts now in her training, but its clear (by how GOOD she is at them) that she did not learn those recently for her figure training, but has probably been doing them for many years... props to her, as I think she's incredible!

Honestly though IMO, people should know and be able to perform the proper olympic lifting technique before moving on to strongman/crossfit style, where pushing the most weight (or speed or what have you) is most important...

Well said :awesome:

kaytikat
12-03-2011, 09:16 PM

LOVE that comments are disabled on the video. Says a lot.

AnaC.
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
I wanted to scream when I saw the dog walking around the gym in that first video around the 3 minute mark... all it takes is for them to drop one weight on that poor thing.

The dog seems to be limping so who knows what already happened to it :(

This gym should go into the hall of shame :banghead:

WillBrink
12-03-2011, 10:03 PM

People do get injured, a lot, but supporters of CF will then blame it on the person doing it. :rolleyes:

All my rehab doc friends LOVE CF as their business has gone up sharply since its popularity has grown. :nuts:

pmbpro
12-03-2011, 10:44 PM

I noticed that too and was gonna say the same thing, LOL! :D

Veronica X
12-04-2011, 12:36 AM

My thoughts exactly! Honestly though, I think that video gives Crossfit a TERRIBLE name. And those pullups are supposed to be kipping pullups, where you use your legs for momentum. I've done 2 Crossfit intro classes - the second by choice. Both gyms I went to have their new clients take them if they don't have their form down before actually starting WODs(workout of the day). Unfortunately, there are plenty of people looking to make a quick buck off a new "fad." And I'm certain many people have injured themselves.
Personally, I like CF - I think it's good for overall physical health, being that it works on strength, power and endurance. Doing it everyday isn't ideal for a physique competitor, but I can see how elements of it can easily be incorporated into a workout routine. Those are just my two cents though.

AshleyMina
12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
oh my goodness! my friend who trains olympic lifters posted this on fb and i was horrified! i would be embarassed to post this on fb first of all but i am shocked they encourage this horribly dangerous way to lift!

ambydawn
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm all for giving it all you've got, but this video makes me cringe!

The dog seems to be limping so who knows what already happened to it :(

This gym should go into the hall of shame :banghead:

If you look closely, the dog has three legs. ;)

foxieroxie007
12-05-2011, 02:15 AM
The problem isn't CF itself, but instead the fact that a number of seriously deconditioned people are turning to it in droves. And since money talks, studios and gyms are not worrying about teaching form or even having various levels of classes where people can learn proper lifting technique.

Honestly it's just like the gym, how many people around you are actually doing proper form. The thing about this is the fact that they are a.) doing lifts that most people never do nor have ever seen, b.) they look like sh!t, c.) it's gaining in popularity as the new "thing" to do.

I've done it before, I'd do it again, half the stuff they do is a normal part of my training. However I have also been practicing Oly lifts etc for a number of years by choice. Hell why not train for PR's and everything else, so what no one on stage cares. I care, and that's because my training doesn't begin and end with the exterior. But again, it's not for everyone and never was intended to be when it was created.

epolis
12-05-2011, 02:40 AM
Hell why not train for PR's and everything else, so what no one on stage cares. I care, and that's because my training doesn't begin and end with the exterior. But again, it's not for everyone and never was intended to be when it was created.

Mine doesn't either. I suppose I just dont care what my max bench is, because it just didn't seem like it's that important. I care that i'm getting through my reps, not the weight i'm using. But we are all motivated differently in the gym!

foxieroxie007
12-05-2011, 02:46 AM
Mine doesn't either. I suppose I just dont care what my max bench is, because it just didn't seem like it's that important. I care that i'm getting through my reps, not the weight i'm using. But we are all motivated differently in the gym!

To you, but as you said we all train for different reasons. I train for performance, strength, and being as functional as possible in life, in sport, and more. It's what motivates me, and also what can help to dictate program design to a great extent. And there's nothing wrong with that.

epolis
12-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Absolutely not! I'm not insinuating that (or at least that' not my intention). You are an advanced lifter- my issue with PR stuff is for the ppl like these yardbirds in this vid. They have no business doing this shit since their form is so atrocious. If they got their form down, then I'd say rock on!

kaytikat
12-05-2011, 06:00 AM
Absolutely not! I'm not insinuating that (or at least that' not my intention). You are an advanced lifter- my issue with PR stuff is for the ppl like these yardbirds in this vid. They have no business doing this shit since their form is so atrocious. If they got their form down, then I'd say rock on!

if the form isn't spot on, it's not a PR. I'm cool with anything that gets people off their asses. Whatever you choose to do though, should be done safely and in a manner that won't cause injury to yourself or others.

foxieroxie007
12-05-2011, 11:25 AM

Oh yeah girl no I agree. You're absolutely right. That's what I meant too, these folks should def not be doing a damn thing but perhaps attempting to learn the basics. The latter stuff I mentioned was just mindless drivel in response to something said in the thread.

Erik
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Crossfit is retarded.

Even the Navy Seals have stopped using it due to high rates of injury.

Really individualized programming - everyone does the same workout. It's more like CrossCult ... to be packaged alongside Paleo.

Why is it that every Crossfitter has to tell you they're a Crossfitter?

epolis
12-05-2011, 03:54 PM
I've been waiting for you, Erik :)

MrsFluffyBunny
12-05-2011, 04:16 PM

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDDyxXyf6UU">YouTube Link</a>

Late to the party as usual, but what the f*ucking f*uck?? David was speechless. This reminds me of that Jackass show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Noel Fuller
12-05-2011, 05:36 PM
They need helmets, and a short bus

KP DIVA
12-05-2011, 06:09 PM
They need helmets, and a short bus

and Jesus!

kmcduffie
12-05-2011, 06:21 PM
i want to adopt the dog. everything about this video is just WRONG.
I'm sure I could lift a gazillion lbs, but my joints, back, and my doggies appreciate me for not attempting such bullshit.

kmcduffie
12-05-2011, 06:22 PM
and Jesus!

and good health insurance

kaytikat
12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Crossfit is retarded.

Even the Navy Seals have stopped using it due to high rates of injury.

Really individualized programming - everyone does the same workout. It's more like CrossCult ... to be packaged alongside Paleo.

Why is it that every Crossfitter has to tell you they're a Crossfitter?

You know how you can tell if someone does paleo, does crossfit, or is a vegan?

They tell you.

i think it's in their little handbook. You have to introduce yourself and say "Hi! I'm *insert name here*. I'm a vegan who enjoys crossfit!" or they take your decoder ring and your vegan powers away.

Veronica X
12-05-2011, 07:37 PM
You know how you can tell if someone does paleo, does crossfit, or is a vegan?

They tell you.

i think it's in their little handbook. You have to introduce yourself and say "Hi! I'm *insert name here*. I'm a vegan who enjoys crossfit!" or they take your decoder ring and your vegan powers away.

Ha! BUT a lot of vegans are hipsters and hipsters don't workout. I'm currently in hipster central of Chicago. You can't lift in skinny jeans and can't do cardio to Radiohead. Trust me, I've tried...

WillBrink
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM

BDDyxXyf6UU

BTW, I put this vid on my FB page, and as expected, caused a big fight! :D

Siouxcountry
12-05-2011, 11:45 PM
BTW, I put this vid on my FB page, and as expected, caused a big fight! :D

I see that. What surprises me is this video is still up on YouTube promoting Albany Crossfit. You think who ever runs the YouTube Channel would have a clue by now, especially when thousands dislike it. :confused: Maybe they don't care about the bad publicity it gives their gym, and CrossFit, and hope to make some $$$ off the video for years.

foxieroxie007
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I see that. What surprises me is this video is still up on YouTube promoting Albany Crossfit. You think who ever runs the YouTube Channel would have a clue by now, especially when thousands dislike it. :confused: Maybe they don't care about the bad publicity it gives their gym, and CrossFit, and hope to make some $$$ off the video for years.

LOL you know what they say... No publicity is bad publicity!

I bet the participants are saying "whatever" to all of this hoopla, if they're even aware of how much people are talking about it. They'll learn though a few herniated discs down the line.

Erik
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I bet the participants are saying "whatever" to all of this hoopla, if they're even aware of how much people are talking about it. They'll learn though a few herniated discs down the line.

THIS!

I have a few Navy Seal friends - experienced lifters, very experienced, and like I said, they have pulled away from this style of training as a unit due to injury. A friend of mine did just that - herniated a disc.

janet kaufman
12-06-2011, 03:31 AM
we have cf at our gym and I neve tried it because i know i would probably wipe something out. I am 45 and never trained like that when i was younger. Plus throw in working against a clock and that means trouble for me. I think it takes time to develop proper techniques. I gringe every time I see someone that is obviously at the gym for the first time and headed to that class. ouch! I think you need a little conditioning before you do that class

WillBrink
12-06-2011, 01:43 PM
THIS!

I have a few Navy Seal friends - experienced lifters, very experienced, and like I said, they have pulled away from this style of training as a unit due to injury. A friend of mine did just that - herniated a disc.

The military was very hot on CF at first, especially in the SOF community. It's my understanding even NSW has intentionally pulled away from it due to the big (and expected frankly...) increase in rates of injuries. People from CF were also claiming CF was official adopted training for NSW (SEALs, etc) which was BS from the start as I was told.

WillBrink
12-06-2011, 01:47 PM
we have cf at our gym and I neve tried it because i know i would probably wipe something out. I am 45 and never trained like that when i was younger. Plus throw in working against a clock and that means trouble for me. I think it takes time to develop proper techniques. I gringe every time I see someone that is obviously at the gym for the first time and headed to that class. ouch! I think you need a little conditioning before you do that class

No doubt, but I would also add for that type of training, you want to focus on movements that don't require a high level of skill to perform and or have lower injury potential. There's no reason at all O lifts should be part of the program for example. Unless you compete in strong man, no reason to have unskilled people doing a Continental Lift for 1RM! That's stupid squared...

A standing push press is OK, high rep cleans, not so much.

WillBrink
12-06-2011, 01:50 PM

It's a mindset, once you have a cult like mentality and are convinced you are doing the right thing, the more negative comments, the more it enforces you have it right. "Haters gonna hate" and all that.

Siouxcountry
12-06-2011, 02:27 PM
It's a mindset, once you have a cult like mentality and are convinced you are doing the right thing, the more negative comments, the more it enforces you have it right. "Haters gonna hate" and all that.

I think "cult" is kind of extreme to use about Crossfit. :p This kind of reminds me of powerlifting gear, and how people who compete in suits, shirts, defend it with a passion, while many see it as cheating. Once many of us get into training or anything we enjoy or take pride in we'll defend it. I remember the whole HIT vs Volume debate on the boards, those sure got heated.

I just hope more people will be more safe, especially those who train, coach or instruct others. :)

WillBrink
12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I think "cult" is kind of extreme to use about Crossfit. :p

It's called Cult Fit for a reason. :nuts:

Hard core followers truly exhibit cult-like behavior. You have to get into it to see just how bizzar some of them can get.

Yes, most are more reasonable about it.

Erik
12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
It's called Cult Fit for a reason. :nuts:

Hard core followers truly exhibit cult-like behavior. You have to get into it to see just how bizzar some of them can get.

Yes, most are more reasonable about it.

Or CrossCult ... packaged with PaleoTards. It is the one-size-fits-all, EVERYONE should be doing it 'this way' or you're a loser, that I just can't take.