PDA

View Full Version : Big Momma Quads

lil_kris
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Ok ladies, I am about to hit that time in contest prep where I begin to put too much thought into something.

So in my QUAD Area.... I dont want to lose any gains... actually I still have plenty of time to add more size, but the thing is I begin to think that all this cardio coming into play will sabatoge my gains.... :banghead:

Is there a piece of equip that you feel can still build them up and still be able to attack all this cardio???

I know silly ass Q, but the idea is always in my head...
DONT SHRINK THEM WHEELS WOMAN!!!!!

Am I Crazy??? Help!!

Becca Staggs
01-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Are you typically able to build during a cut?
I know I can't. I have thought before though that the step mill for cardio seems to be the best for not getting the legs too small. :)
How much longer ya got?

lil_kris
01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Are you typically able to build during a cut?
I know I can't. I have thought before though that the step mill for cardio seems to be the best for not getting the legs too small. :)
How much longer ya got?

Yes I can do that... I just get silly in the head that the many minutes I spend on any machine it's wrecking my lil wheels...I know thats prolly not the case, but I just wondered if ther was a particular machine that helps to NOT shrink them... Like some gals Cant do Sprints because their quads blow up...

I agree the Step mill has advantages over others, esp for adding a tushy :p

Becca Staggs
01-10-2012, 06:02 PM
TUSHY? :p

I think the step mill is best - mainly because it works against gravity and you're using your body weight to step up...
My legs have a ways to go but this year was the best they ever looked and I used the step mill. They hardly shrank at all during prep but did get leaner. It's my fav.

Siouxcountry
01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes I can do that... I just get silly in the head that the many minutes I spend on any machine it's wrecking my lil wheels...I know thats prolly not the case, but I just wondered if ther was a particular machine that helps to NOT shrink them... Like some gals Cant do Sprints because their quads blow up...

I agree the Step mill has advantages over others, esp for adding a tushy :p

Get a backpack add 50-60 pounds walk a few miles outside. I doubt you will lose muscle with 1/3 - 1/2 of your bodyweight on your back.

LaurenFazio
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Well I figure I'd be a good one to ask about this, if I may toot my own horn... LOL :p

My quads came in best with lots of low weight high rep front squats, extensions, and hack squats.
Cardio wise, the stepmill definitely is king. Same with the ARC trainer. I do a lot of those, and alot of interval work....
:awesome:

lil_kris
01-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks Ya All for the tips... :respect:

It's not that I "need" to build my quads... Im Very Happy with my Development. I just wondered if you had a preferred cardio style that doesnt interefer with whatcha got.

Its just a mind thingy I got going on!!!

HAPPY TRAINING & Thanks Again !!!

MrsFluffyBunny
01-10-2012, 08:11 PM
So I guess I am gonna be the odd one out here. My Coach forbids step mills and ellipticals because he says they destroy quad sweep. Any SS cardio is to be limited to a bike or walking on a treadmill (no jogging).

He seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to wheels, so just thought I'd chime in here...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

dvsness
01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
I know it sounds weird, but walking backward on a treadmill.

And maybe do less cardio if you think so much of it is negatively impacting your physique.

lil_kris
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
So I guess I am gonna be the odd one out here. My Coach forbids step mills and ellipticals because he says they destroy quad sweep. Any SS cardio is to be limited to a bike or walking on a treadmill (no jogging).

He seems to know what he's talking about when it comes to wheels, so just thought I'd chime in here...

Hey Girl, thanks for the chime in... I dont touch the step mill except during off season for calves and doing it reverse for my azz... the ellip is ok, as long as I increase the incline... do you ever jump on a stairmaster???... esp during SS.... if I run I run sprints at an incline for 30sec...

lil_kris
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I know it sounds weird, but walking backward on a treadmill.

And maybe do less cardio if you think so much of it is negatively impacting your physique.

Cant and wont be decreasing it and honestly dont know it IS affecting my gains... Im 7weeks out and at about this point the cardio goes up and up and I start to wonder what I can throw in the mix to keep those puppies pumped...
Def gonna try that backwards/ awkward strut.. Thanks Girl ;)

KP DIVA
01-10-2012, 10:42 PM

I will have to disagree on this one as I have done my fair share of cardio and quads didnt suffer at all. I think it depends on your overall genetics and how your body responds. Even at my smallest I had a quad sweep. IMO sweeps are like calves....u either have them or you don't. Yes, u can always improve them. But if it took forever to grow a sweep then yeah maybe certain cardios can bring them down for an already slow gainer.

As for the question......I hate the stepmill, however I obtained the best results in leaning out all over..... that machine is just hell, it never got easy!!! On the other hand bleachers and sprint work grew my quads and glutes while on a prep diet!!!!

MrsFluffyBunny
01-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Hey Girl, thanks for the chime in... I dont touch the step mill except during off season for calves and doing it reverse for my azz... the ellip is ok, as long as I increase the incline... do you ever jump on a stairmaster???... esp during SS.... if I run I run sprints at an incline for 30sec...

Gotta confess, I never get on a cardio machine anymore except to warm up (and only for a few minutes).

Kenyatta has to die for legs, BTW. Ver nice! I have plenty of muscle in the lower body but what little sweep I have has taken a ton of work to obtain. I have big round glutes and springy hammies, so it's all about preserving the quads for me; otherwise they resemble tree trunks ! LOL

lil_kris
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
I will have to disagree on this one as I have done my fair share of cardio and quads didnt suffer at all. I think it depends on your overall genetics and how your body responds. Even at my smallest I had a quad sweep. IMO sweeps are like calves....u either have them or you don't. Yes, u can always improve them. But if it took forever to grow a sweep then yeah maybe certain cardios can bring them down for an already slow gainer.

As for the question......I hate the stepmill, however I obtained the best results in leaning out all over..... that machine is just hell, it never got easy!!! On the other hand bleachers and sprint work grew my quads and glutes while on a prep diet!!!!

Hey Hot Stuff...thanks for the info... You legs are stunning!!! I got the sweeps (Baby Starter sweeps.. lol ) and all that good stuff... just dont want to damage it... and it sounds like Im on the right track with what you gals are doing for your sexy stems... So I will stop freakin out on what I am doing RIGHT!!

Big help, thanks ;) Have a kickass 2012!!

KP DIVA
01-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Thxs for the leg props!!

Kris, I think you should really pay attention to how you respond and take pictures for reference. Everyone is so different, so unfortunately it will be trial and error. I missed it, did u say u were working with someone? If so, what did they say?

lil_kris
01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Thxs for the leg props!!

Kris, I think you should really pay attention to how you respond and take pictures for reference. Everyone is so different, so unfortunately it will be trial and error. I missed it, did u say u were working with someone? If so, what did they say?

Yep Girl, I am working with someone GREAT... He tells me to stop freakin thinking... & he is right. I guess I haven't explained myself enough.... Basically I am on some sort of machine 50-90 minutes from here on out for the next 7 weeks, 7days/ week...

My wonder was if anyone had a special "Cardio" Session they loved to attack that didnt seem to hinder their leg size. My coach just tells me to do whatever I want as long as I hit my training zone... Hes' right... but I wanted to make certain hitten the stairmaster or whatever was cool or if there was a secret out there I wasnt aware of.

I've only had 1yr of true weightlifting/ prep training so Im gaining and feeling fabulous... U remember your 1st few months of training??.... We think too much.. lol ;)

KP DIVA
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Yep Girl, I am working with someone GREAT... He tells me to stop freakin thinking... & he is right. I guess I haven't explained myself enough.... Basically I am on some sort of machine 50-90 minutes from here on out for the next 7 weeks, 7days/ week...

My wonder was if anyone had a special "Cardio" Session they loved to attack that didnt seem to hinder their leg size. My coach just tells me to do whatever I want as long as I hit my training zone... Hes' right... but I wanted to make certain hitten the stairmaster or whatever was cool or if there was a secret out there I wasnt aware of.

I've only had 1yr of true weightlifting/ prep training so Im gaining and feeling fabulous... U remember your 1st few months of training??.... We think too much.. lol ;)

Okay, I'm confused? So your supposed to do cardio on some sort of machine (u gotta get the name of the machine) for 50-90 minutes? Is that what you're saying? So is the concern about cardio in general or the paticular machine ur suppose to be using? But then u say your trainer is saying do whatever you want.

MrsFluffyBunny
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Okay, I'm confused? So your supposed to do cardio on some sort of machine (u gotta get the name of the machine) for 50-90 minutes? Is that what you're saying? So is the concern about cardio in general or the paticular machine ur suppose to be using? But then u say your trainer is saying do whatever you want.

Mmmm hmmmm. Like was mentioned, there are cardio activities you can do that will actually build your legs, so maybe you need some more guidance from your trainer, especially being new at this.

lil_kris
01-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Ladies.. thank you for taking the time to respond... BUT I dont think my lil Q is getting understood.

I was only interested in knowing what you gals did for cardio that doesnt wreck your legs, to add variety, or something that helps the legs... My trainer is AMAZING... my lil thought is not of his or my concern... I just had a simple Q I thought I would hit the forum with.

LOL.... I really thought I'd get a simple answer... like I LOVE the Stairmaster or Cybrex or something or I enjoy squeezing this while walking up on that....

My apoligies for the confusion :D

HAPPY TRAINING!!!

LaurenFazio
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Well if you're strictly asking about what to do cardio-wise to BUILD I mean, it is pretty hard to BUILD your quads while doing cardio..... typically not a possibility right.

I do know some can grow their legs from sprints. But as for the stepmill or Cybex ARC, you may feel it more in those muscle groups but its not BUILDING them, in my honest opinion.

I think the biggest difference between cardio machines is mostly how intense you have to work, ie what Kenyatta said about the stepmill. Overall is SUPER hard and raises ur level of conditioning. Maybe burns more cals because your physically working harder. But does it BUILD up ur quads or enhance ur sweep? I dont think so.

KP DIVA
01-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Gotcha!!! You threw me off w/ the machine comment!!!

Ladies.. thank you for taking the time to respond... BUT I dont think my lil Q is getting understood.

I was only interested in knowing what you gals did for cardio that doesnt wreck your legs, to add variety, or something that helps the legs... My trainer is AMAZING... my lil thought is not of his or my concern... I just had a simple Q I thought I would hit the forum with.

LOL.... I really thought I'd get a simple answer... like I LOVE the Stairmaster or Cybrex or something or I enjoy squeezing this while walking up on that....

My apoligies for the confusion :D

HAPPY TRAINING!!!