PDA

View Full Version : Figure Competitor on Dr. Phil: Discusses Binge Eating

MrsFluffyBunny
04-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Along with the topic of Amanda Beard's new book, Dr. Phil had a figure gal on his show yesterday. Y'all need to see this. This kind of exposure is about as mainstream as it gets, and it's going to be very hard to continue to hide this dark side of the world of physique competitions:

http://www.drphil.com/slideshows/slideshow/6822/?id=6822&showID=1821&versionID=

Naturally, Dr. Phil gets into the psychology of why people do this to themselves. :(

Becca Staggs
04-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I saw this on FB but haven't had time to watch yet. Should be interesting.
Thanks for the link, Crystol.

Siouxcountry
04-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Interesting. She is a WNBF pro, her name is Jacqueline Zediker. Here is her Facebook Athlete page.... CLICK HERE (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jacqueline-Zediker-WNBF-Figure-ProFitness-Model/110258189032636)

She competed at the 2011 WNBF Universe. Video......... CLICK HERE (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100235305632628)

Miss Silly
04-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm soooooo glad that this has been brought to light in a highly public forum. I think it's important to raise some awareness on this issue. Competing is *highly* attractive to people with self-image and self-esteem disorders, eating disorders, and disordered eating. And then there are significant repercussions from the self-perpetuating cycle of having to represent this near-impossible physical perfection while inside girls are dying.

I'm not saying everyone in this sport is like this, but in all honesty, i think a huge majority of competitors struggle with this in secret. Now that bikini has made a big explosion of popularity for women to enter in this sport, i think awareness is even more important.

On a personal experience, i never had body for food issues prior to competing. Sometimes we enter into something with good intentions but along the way my perception and my relationship to food became altered. I am now in a sort of 'recovery' (working with Scott Abel) in my mind and body.

I firmly believe that contest prep should not only be a focus on diet and training, but contain a psychological component to it as well. Especially when you are pushing your body to extremes, many often become in a fragile (or warped) state of mind.

MGreene
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
I know of many competitors that come with an eating disorder background. Myself included. I've talked with them about this topic many times. When you are dealing with an eating disorder it usually stems from needing some control in your life because you are usually being controlled by someone/something else. I am OCD about many things and I actually really love prepping for shows and living an overall healthy lifestyle on a daily basis now because I am in control of it.This of course is my opinion and my experience.

I wish her the best of luck and hope she gets the help she needs.

missmar
04-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Yes I think a lot of women will deny the psycological impact dieting has on them.
I read an article about binge eating about how when we start our body and mind sorta of detach from each other and thats how we can pack back so much.
I do now feed myself spirtually more, and i mean journaling here helps immensely too. Cause how many times do you binge with like all your friends and family around? Rarely if ever. I mean holidays it seems everyone is so jump on wagon right?
But recognizing I have always binged and it will probably always haunt me is a start to recovering.
However at the same time competing in sports and challenging myself to be in great shape helps because it distracts me from deeper problems that cause me to binge in the first place.
Even when confronting those emotional hurts they never really go away so the cycle continues and instead I am faced with choices each day. No one will stop me and no one can really help me but just being aware seems like enough or all I can do.

Does anyone else have a tactic they use to not give into binge eating?

lil mama
04-06-2012, 04:58 PM
wow interesting stories on the both ladies
wbSxBiRGMNQ&feature=related

Visionquester
04-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes I think a lot of women will deny the psycological impact dieting has on them.
I read an article about binge eating about how when we start our body and mind sorta of detach from each other and thats how we can pack back so much.
I do now feed myself spirtually more, and i mean journaling here helps immensely too. Cause how many times do you binge with like all your friends and family around? Rarely if ever. I mean holidays it seems everyone is so jump on wagon right?
But recognizing I have always binged and it will probably always haunt me is a start to recovering.
However at the same time competing in sports and challenging myself to be in great shape helps because it distracts me from deeper problems that cause me to binge in the first place.
Even when confronting those emotional hurts they never really go away so the cycle continues and instead I am faced with choices each day. No one will stop me and no one can really help me but just being aware seems like enough or all I can do.

For me, the binge only comes with a diet. I gave up dieting, and now I am binge-free 10 months now. There are absolutely no rules around eating for me, but I am committed to living healthfully... so the choices I make on a minute by minute basis are with that in mind. (Is healthfully a word?) lol

After checking my weight approximately once every two weeks to every month, I can remain surprisingly consistent without weighing, measuring, or tracking.

The other major factor came with a new belief that "I thrive by experiencing my feelings fully." For me, I was bingeing as a response to an uncomfortable physiological response to an emotion or feeling. The binge eating would immediately squash the feeling the alleviate the discomfort in my body. Now I realize that that feeling... is a friend. It isn't something to run away from but something to be brought into my awareness, looked at openly and honestly.. and explored.

I have found that these "issues" are really blessings in disguise because I am able to explore deeper into myself and expose the limiting or false beliefs that are generating the negative feelings and ultimately change them to accommodate the version of me that is true.

So for me, this has been an amazing journey.

The best advice I could give to anyone reading this that may be struggling with binge eating is to stop the cycle by lifting judgment of yourself for the binge. The judgment does nothing to help the situation whatsoever. You cannot look at why you are doing the behavior if you are judging yourself and looking away from it... and also to love yourself unconditionally. Really... no matter what, give yourself the love and unconditional acceptance you deserve.

When I say deserve, I don't mean that you have to achieve something to be worthy of deserving love from yourself.. but just by being human, by being born, by being you.... you deserve unconditional love from yourself.

Miss Silly
04-10-2012, 10:40 PM

I think because you are always "escaping"---even by using something positive like exercise----- your binge-tendencies will always be present. The cycle will always continue until you're really brave and honest with yourself to confront the deeper reasons why whatever it is that you're essentially avoiding is manifesting itself in binge behaviour.

I can relate a lot to what you say, as it's something i'm also working on. You're heading in the right direction by confronting the emotional triggers, but it's the consequent steps that need to be followed through. The digestion and resolution of those things. And it's difficult to pinpoint what those are, and it takes a lot of practice to even just identify, never mind to embody. It's a long journey. And it's tough. And like Visionquester mentioned, sometimes you have to experience that emotion fully (as painful as it is...and generally humans are hedonistic by nature and we try to avoid pain) before it can be resolved.

For me, the binge only comes with a diet. I gave up dieting, and now I am binge-free 10 months now. There are absolutely no rules around eating for me, but I am committed to living healthfully... so the choices I make on a minute by minute basis are with that in mind. (Is healthfully a word?) lol

After checking my weight approximately once every two weeks to every month, I can remain surprisingly consistent without weighing, measuring, or tracking.

The other major factor came with a new belief that "I thrive by experiencing my feelings fully." For me, I was bingeing as a response to an uncomfortable physiological response to an emotion or feeling. The binge eating would immediately squash the feeling the alleviate the discomfort in my body. Now I realize that that feeling... is a friend. It isn't something to run away from but something to be brought into my awareness, looked at openly and honestly.. and explored.

I have found that these "issues" are really blessings in disguise because I am able to explore deeper into myself and expose the limiting or false beliefs that are generating the negative feelings and ultimately change them to accommodate the version of me that is true.

So for me, this has been an amazing journey.

The best advice I could give to anyone reading this that may be struggling with binge eating is to stop the cycle by lifting judgment of yourself for the binge. The judgment does nothing to help the situation whatsoever. You cannot look at why you are doing the behavior if you are judging yourself and looking away from it... and also to love yourself unconditionally. Really... no matter what, give yourself the love and unconditional acceptance you deserve.

When I say deserve, I don't mean that you have to achieve something to be worthy of deserving love from yourself.. but just by being human, by being born, by being you.... you deserve unconditional love from yourself.

Man, this post was so bang on and awesome in every way. Thank you so much for sharing. I find inspiration from this as well....i'm in the earlier stages of this exact journey.

BeanBabe
04-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Many woman have gone through similar experiences. What has helped me is ditching the food scale and starting paying attention to when my body says I'm full. Since I started doing this I have never felt better about myself.

MrsFluffyBunny
04-13-2012, 04:56 PM
I think because you are always "escaping"---even by using something positive like exercise----- your binge-tendencies will always be present. The cycle will always continue until you're really brave and honest with yourself to confront the deeper reasons why whatever it is that you're essentially avoiding is manifesting itself in binge behaviour.

A hundred times yes. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done (am still doing daily). These habits are hardwired at such a deep level that it's extremely alien to take the necessary steps to break them.

Binging is about soothing emotional hurts/numbing feelings. Sometimes you're so disconnected from those feelings you're just left going I don't even know why the eff I'm eating, I just know that when I'm in a food coma I don't feel anything other than a tummyache.

I journal right now if I find myself seeking to binge for whatever reason. Just for myself, in a medium that I don't share with anyone. And I just let it all out, using whatever language comes to me and identifying and owning exactly what I'm feeling (a lot of anger... goes way back to childhood and very deep :) ).

Here's one excerpt (the guidance/questions for this came from my Coach) that I can share:

What do you feel? You feel anxious, apprehensive. When not numbed by food, this is what you feel. This makes it extremely hard to push past this point to where the junk/sweet habit/crutch will be broken. You are ďfull,Ē but full of feelings, chaotic emotions, alien feelings. You feel edgy and irritable.

Where do you want to be? Past the anxiety, abel to just be hungry, so that hunger is just accepted as part of the day, neither good nor bad, no more bothersome than a slightly sore muscle (the kind of thing you feel every day and are so used to you are never distracted or homed in on it). Could I really be the same way with hunger as I am with a tired, sore body part?

What would it feel like to be in that place? Level. Calm. Accepting. Relaxed. Free from fear (of falling off the wagon), free from anxiety and anticipation of the negative feelings that come from falling off the wagon). Balanced/neutral and in control/disciplined. Nice. Happy.

Just feel it. Let it happen. Go into these feelings, donít seek to move away from them or blunt them. Donít seek to numb it or distract yourself from it. Vent it. Feel it, release it.

Just rereading that again now brings a sense of relief. It worked so well at that time. I haven't had a desire to binge for quite awhile now.

LoriAlbers
04-15-2012, 04:23 PM
After my last show I gained 12 lbs in a week. That's crazy how much she gained in a day.

My problem, I think, was that I started out in 2006 with Body for LIfe. Their plan is to have one day to where you cheat, eat anything you want. That in my mind meant that I 'earned' it. Earning BAD food is not a prize. I have to keep telling myself that. I think it's the wrong message. After my show I thought after all of this hard work I deserve all of these sweets. My body deserved better.

SDUQUE
04-28-2012, 02:04 PM
After my last show I gained 12 lbs in a week. That's crazy how much she gained in a day.

My problem, I think, was that I started out in 2006 with Body for LIfe. Their plan is to have one day to where you cheat, eat anything you want. That in my mind meant that I 'earned' it. Earning BAD food is not a prize. I have to keep telling myself that. I think it's the wrong message. After my show I thought after all of this hard work I deserve all of these sweets. My body deserved better.

Yes on the "cheat day". Totally not for eating and cheating? There are some things people would say that stays in your mind... such as "If God shuts one door, he will open up 10more for you" or.. one that I always keep in mind is "once you learn to eat right you'll always eat right". I prep for shows and the worse I can say is the 'peanut butter crave" which I have bits of and done!
Off season .. as we call it... it's only to allow dinner out but keep the clean eating otherwise.
I just plain don't understand the stuffing muffins, pasta, wine and dine. Sure thing but not to over do it and then be crying about it and be depressed.. plain stupid!

Cherish
04-30-2012, 04:14 AM
I think because you are always "escaping"---even by using something positive like exercise----- your binge-tendencies will always be present. The cycle will always continue until you're really brave and honest with yourself to confront the deeper reasons why whatever it is that you're essentially avoiding is manifesting itself in binge behavior.

So completely dead on! With women who battle (or have battled) ED's, it's very easy to swap one vice for another. The various disorders can almost become interchangeable....like a gruesome monster with 3 heads. As you change and grow as a person, unless the underlying issues are addressed and resolved, the disease (as I call it) changes and grows right along with you. This is why it's so common for one single women to be afflicted by various "heads" of this monster throughout her lifetime. What may have started with anorexia, can easily manifest to binge eating, then bulimia, as she progresses through the stages in life.

A thousand times YES. The judgment, although practically a knee jerk reaction, only plays into the vicious cycle. It is attaching an emotion to eating and only allows the cycle to repeat seamlessly. The self-judgment casts you into the shadows of guilt and shame, and since these feelings inflict pain, they must be immediately vanquished. And thus, the binge repeats.

Yes on the "cheat day". Totally not for eating and cheating? There are some things people would say that stays in your mind... such as "If God shuts one door, he will open up 10more for you" or.. one that I always keep in mind is "once you learn to eat right you'll always eat right". I prep for shows and the worse I can say is the 'peanut butter crave" which I have bits of and done!
Off season .. as we call it... it's only to allow dinner out but keep the clean eating otherwise.
I just plain don't understand the stuffing muffins, pasta, wine and dine. Sure thing but not to over do it and then be crying about it and be depressed.. plain stupid!

Maybe I am mis-interpreting this comment, and if I am please please PLEASE check me on it, but as I've read it, I find the above comment extremely offensive and judgmental. Individuals who suffer from binge eating disorders do not make a clear, conscious decision of "stuffing muffins, pasta" into their bodies, to then "be crying about it and be depressed", and these individuals are far from stupid, so accusing such is absolutely out of line. Knowing how to eat properly absolutely does not guarantee that it always happens. These disorders have nothing to do with ignorance. As competitors, we all know what we should be putting into our bodies. We're educated enough to know what is clean fuel and what is sludge. Binge eating disorder, along with all eating disorders, are psychological issues fueled by deep compulsions, not rational choices. I feel this comment to be ignorant and hurtful to those who suffer, whether openly or in silence. Your judgment is not warranted and only adds to the cycle.

LoriAlbers
05-01-2012, 11:18 AM
True. I have known a few people with a disorder like this. One girl decided to compete and I knew it would be an extra challenge for her. The binge thing is such an emotional thing to get through. I feel for people who have it.

MrsFluffyBunny
05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well said, Cherish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Miss Silly
05-01-2012, 04:41 PM
X2... wonderful post, Cherish!

I was a bit confused by SDUQUE's post as well. I think that statement focuses exactly on the superficial "symptom" of the issue without realizing/recognizing that the issue itself---the disorder---actually has nothing to do with food.

(unless i misinterpreted what i read, of course)

Cherish
05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks ladies!

Shaydz
01-22-2013, 09:56 PM
Just read through this thread - execellent points and I will take many to heart (except SDuque's...:nuts:)

Someone on the thread asked how to stop the binge cycle: well, I think the bingeing is habit forming in addition to being based on emotional issues. I have recently started working with a health professional and while we certainly intend to tackle the "why" of the binge, it is also important that we stop the habit...So - she told me to not have any money (debit, CC or cash) on me...to leave all that with someone I trust. Holy crap has that worked for me! I don't keep any binge foods in my house and so all my bingeing was always going out and buying food. Well - what do you do if you want to buy food but don't have any money? You DON'T BINGE. Seems so simple and yet works. I have been binge free for 5 days now. I have wanted to - hell yes - but have been completely disabled.

Anyways, just wanting to share what is working for me at the moment. Sigh....now to tackle the deeper issues....wish me luck lol!

miss fit
01-23-2013, 12:20 AM
This kind of exposure is about as mainstream as it gets, and it's going to be very hard to continue to hide this dark side of the world of physique competitions:

This is great! It seems much more out in the open now than when I first started competing 4 years ago. Back then not many were talking about the "other side" of competing. Knowledge is power, and awareness should help women make more informed and better choices. I am glad to see this.

Briki
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
It`s a rocky road where to walk.... last 3 years till now I haven`t found cure for that problem. Every morning is like new hope that it will be the end but it`s a circle what has no end and beginning.

I respect that girl of talking about the problem and what`s really behind all the beauty side of fitness.

spicychika
02-11-2013, 11:24 PM
Thank you ladies for this wonderful thread. I just joined this community and loving it. Tons of empowering information. Insensitive comments are never tolerated & quickly squashed. I'm so happy to be a member. :)