PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Side Pose

missmar
05-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi ladies,

I do my first show in 13 days but I have been my side pose incorrectly and doing the American style where your arm that faces away from the judges frames closer to the body.
Of course the Canadian version the arm extends outwards in a sweep almost, and is very different.
I have been using Tanji Johnsons DVD for my posing as starting point but I was hoping you gals would give me some insight into developing a good Canadian side pose.
Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!

buffbabeGA
05-28-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia40.htm

I googled and if you scroll through this link you will see some side poses.. best way i can explain it is to hold your hands as if you are going to cup your butt and your lady parts. does that makes sense?

Miss Silly
05-28-2012, 07:58 PM
Hopefully someone can jump in here---I'm assuming it's for Figure?? Fitness is close but we can get away with much more.

The arm position is different. The arm closest to the crowd is behind you, with the "backstage arm" in front. American is arms right to your side. MOre or less. LOL ;-P I just watched our Western Canadians two weeks ago. There was a lot of posing that was a little...interesting... LOL mind you at a novice/entry level show, it doesn't bug me as much as a national show where girls should study their posing more. But good posing is definitely important and i wouldn't skimp on taking the time (like you are!) to do some research. I think you get the general idea, but i will say this---toooooo many times i see women posing with their arms WAY too far out from their body. So while Canadian posing has their arms in a different position, we're not talking ballet here ;-P

Also, something to consider is to remember how straight your leg is. Fitness allows some knee bend in a side pose. But Figure is quite strict. You might want to check (or hopefully someone can hop in here) to find out if any leg bend is allowed.

This is just a general observation as well, from the spectator's point of view, i find all the "extra" movements in between poses (aka Swan Lake auditions) extremely distracting (in a not-good way). Some graceful movement & flow is nice....but i saw quite a few competitors doing like a mini dance getting into each pose with all this arm waving and weird samba-bouncing in their legs. It's annoying to watch. And it makes me think that they can't just nail their pose. Please don't do this :D

vancouverchick
05-28-2012, 08:04 PM
email me.... lorimork@shaw.ca I will explain more on email... and show some pics.

yes, they are VERY different in usa and canada.

When I competed at arnold I had to learn usa way... but canada is very different!

MrsFluffyBunny
05-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Check out my videos in my sig.

Lori, if you've watched my vids and want to critique them for Mar, please do. Fire away.

Debbie helped me a lot with my posing for my second show, but I definitely added some of my own tweaks.

I think I am pretty in line with what's expected in Canada...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

vancouverchick
05-29-2012, 02:55 PM
I would never critque you Crystol -- you are PERFECTION!!!! :respect:

I just saw some of dawn's video's posted under her fitbody thread from kelowna competition ---- shows the side pose for canada quite nicely in videos.

what show are you doing?

missmar
05-30-2012, 12:49 AM

I just saw some of dawn's video's posted under her fitbody thread from kelowna competition ---- shows the side pose for canada quite nicely in videos.

what show are you doing?

Hi gals,

I am doing the Northern Classic! I wanted to do Kelowna but didnt think I would be lean enough, still cutting it close but I want stage experience so just doing my best at this point.

missmar
05-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Check out my videos in my sig.

Lori, if you've watched my vids and want to critique them for Mar, please do. Fire away.

Debbie helped me a lot with my posing for my second show, but I definitely added some of my own tweaks.

I think I am pretty in line with what's expected in Canada...

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Thanks Crystol,

It looks like a lot of time in pose, how many seconds for each quarter turn? and how long for the time you are on stage? When you are not in the front being critiqued and in the back waiting , do you hold your pose and flex that whole time or do you relax more?

missmar
05-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Hopefully someone can jump in here---I'm assuming it's for Figure?? Fitness is close but we can get away with much more.

The arm position is different. The arm closest to the crowd is behind you, with the "backstage arm" in front. American is arms right to your side. MOre or less. LOL ;-P I just watched our Western Canadians two weeks ago. There was a lot of posing that was a little...interesting... LOL mind you at a novice/entry level show, it doesn't bug me as much as a national show where girls should study their posing more. But good posing is definitely important and i wouldn't skimp on taking the time (like you are!) to do some research. I think you get the general idea, but i will say this---toooooo many times i see women posing with their arms WAY too far out from their body. So while Canadian posing has their arms in a different position, we're not talking ballet here ;-P

Also, something to consider is to remember how straight your leg is. Fitness allows some knee bend in a side pose. But Figure is quite strict. You might want to check (or hopefully someone can hop in here) to find out if any leg bend is allowed.

This is just a general observation as well, from the spectator's point of view, i find all the "extra" movements in between poses (aka Swan Lake auditions) extremely distracting (in a not-good way). Some graceful movement & flow is nice....but i saw quite a few competitors doing like a mini dance getting into each pose with all this arm waving and weird samba-bouncing in their legs. It's annoying to watch. And it makes me think that they can't just nail their pose. Please don't do this :D
lol ya the arms going way out looks like they didnt practice at all and were winging it.
I will not do a mini dance lol, I am aiming for a a relaxed smooth transition, we shall see! very nervous over here!

MrsFluffyBunny
05-30-2012, 03:36 AM

:rofl:

Your cheque is in the mail, love! ;) :kiss:

MrsFluffyBunny
05-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Thanks Crystol,

It looks like a lot of time in pose, how many seconds for each quarter turn? and how long for the time you are on stage? When you are not in the front being critiqued and in the back waiting , do you hold your pose and flex that whole time or do you relax more?

The amount of time you're in each quarter turn (and in the lineup) will really vary depending on the size of the class and the judging panel. I've blown through those quarter turns at lightning speed at shows and I've also had to hold them for quite a long time at other shows. Best to practice holding them beyond your comfort point. Every day. It truly does get easier and more natural looking the more you do it. If you can video yourself, do so. It's very revealing!

When you are lined up in the back, you must stay in your model pose. So practice that pose and find something that feels comfortable, because chances are you'll be standing that way for quite awhile. Always assume you are being judged whether you are in a call out or not. I will switch my feet and arms while in the back line up, but as little as possible and subtley so as not to appear to be trying to draw attention to myself or distract the judges when I'm not in a call out. Try to find a way to do your model pose with your weight evenly distributed on both feet. It's much more comfortable. You will need to keep your lats flared, your shoulders down, your back arched, and your legs tight (but not flexed super hard) so you create that nice curvy look in the lineup. The arm that's not on your hip or waist can be quite relaxed but not too close to your body (and not too far away either).

Put your shoes on at the last possible second and kick them off IMMEDIATELY back stage.

So, again, practice walking in those shoes and holding your poses beyond the comfort point. Expect your legs to shake a bit during your first few moments on stage and don't worry about it. Everyone experiences that and it'll stop.

MrsFluffyBunny
05-30-2012, 03:52 AM

Totally agree! And it's something I have to watch... I can get a little flowery with the arm movements if I'm not careful... Another reason videoing yourself going through the motions is so helpful. :)

vancouverchick
05-30-2012, 03:00 PM
head judge determines how long poses are held... usually only a few seconds.

When you first come out on your own - you do front pose (hold to 2 seconds) then pivot to the back and do back pose (hold for 2 seconds) - then a quick wave to the judges and head to the back line up where you will hold your side model pose, you can change to a front pose, or other side model poses as often as you like, or as you get tired.... until whole class has finally made their way onto stage.

The head judges usually then asks whole back line up to hit front pose....

then he usually bring forward the first half of the class - or first 6 or so people... they go through the 4 quarter turns - he directs them to turn.

Then back to the line up and hit model pose while other half of class do their quarter turns.

then callouts happen ---- going through quarter turns again.

once everyone has down callouts - whole class comes forward and hits front pose one more time then you all exit off..

The whole process at a regional show can be quite quick - sometimes only on stage for about 10-15 minutes.

National level gets a little longer sometimes.

Depends on number of girls in your class though... at kelowna we saw about 10-13 girls in each height class, a bigger show. Fort st john might be a tad smaller - with more like 7 in each class... depending on entries.

missmar
05-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Thanks for all your help ladies! I'm feeling more confident and have been repracting and re learning my side pose now.
Will just have to keep doing it in between sets at the gym and at home till game day!

missmar
05-31-2012, 12:50 AM
Another thought my back pose is cramping. Lol I had been taking
Y own progress pics for so long with my right arm that it ticks out funny cause my left has had more practice, what re some good pointers for back pose? I'll get some pics up to of myself tonight when I get off work so you can see what I mean, my shoulder blade juts out!