PDA

View Full Version : Cream of Rice

fluteangel
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have any recipes for Cream of Rice? I think it's terrible and my trainer has me eat it every day with a scoop of protein powder and glutamine. I'm desperate for ideas on some other way to cook it!

Jennie
07-19-2008, 11:53 PM
I like to cook mine with suggested water as per serving size, add vanilla extract, cinnamon and sweetener. or you can mix in your protein powder after it's cooked.

MsGuns
07-20-2008, 12:47 AM
GREAT Im not the only one w/ that on my diet...cool

I add splenda's brown sugar and sumtimes honey all depending how close I am to my contest...I look forward to my cream of rice meal...smile

Shelly
07-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Does anyone have any recipes for Cream of Rice? I think it's terrible and my trainer has me eat it every day with a scoop of protein powder and glutamine. I'm desperate for ideas on some other way to cook it!

cook it without the protein in it...just have the protein and glutamine in a shake..and cook it seperately... i cant stomach it with protein in it, but by itself its pretty good!

MsGuns
07-20-2008, 02:28 AM
cook it without the protein in it...just have the protein and glutamine in a shake..and cook it seperately... i cant stomach it with protein in it, but by itself its pretty good!

I feel ya Shelly...

Dawn Melanie
07-20-2008, 03:30 AM
I do a similar version. But with a whole Banana, 2 Tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream, and a generous Pat of BUTTER!!! :popcorn:

GREAT Im not the only one w/ that on my diet...cool

I add splenda's brown sugar and sumtimes honey all depending how close I am to my contest...I look forward to my cream of rice meal...smile

fluteangel
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
The funny thing is, the protein powder is what makes it somewhat palatable to me. The texture of cream of rice is what makes me gag! Do you know if it's possible to maybe cook it in the oven or anything like you can do with oatmeal? Maybe make a rice/protein brownie/loaf out of it? :) Yeah...I'm stretching here...

MsGuns
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
The funny thing is, the protein powder is what makes it somewhat palatable to me. The texture of cream of rice is what makes me gag! Do you know if it's possible to maybe cook it in the oven or anything like you can do with oatmeal? Maybe make a rice/protein brownie/loaf out of it? :) Yeah...I'm stretching here...

Do you cook it in the microwave?

Yes, you are stretching it...that sounds worst than eating it by itself...LOL

Marcy Porter
07-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Cream of Rive can be tricky....I like misxing it with Evopro Protien powder , it can make it taste like a dessert. If you use not as much water then they recomend it doesnt get as runny and has a texture more like oatmeal.

Suzanne
07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
i love cream of rice
cook on stove then had splenda, i can't believe its not butter and cinnamin

IslandGirl
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I love cream of rice! YUM! YUM!

Physedfit
07-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I love cream of rice! YUM! YUM!

Me too! I love it! Lots of my girlfriends don't like it either. Hey to me it's carbs and I am OK with that! I put cinammon and flavored stevia in mine. I like vanilla flavored stevia and choc raspberry stevia the best.

fluteangel
07-22-2008, 01:51 AM
any suggestions for changing the texture? It's the texture that makes me gag, besides the taste. I'm glad so many of you like it, but I think it's disgusting and eating a whole bowl of it is torture! I miss my oatmeal!!! :)

Shelly
07-22-2008, 02:10 AM
any suggestions for changing the texture? It's the texture that makes me gag, besides the taste. I'm glad so many of you like it, but I think it's disgusting and eating a whole bowl of it is torture! I miss my oatmeal!!! :)

if you hate it that much tell your trainer im sure hell work with u!

Ondrea
07-22-2008, 06:21 AM
in regards to texture... is is too lumpy or stiff? how about adding more water to it. when u cook it, zap it for 30 seconds, stir, 30 again, stir, repeat until it is cooked. sometimes if u cook it straight through it just gets stiff. or u can do it the old fashion way on the stove..takes longer (not by much though, a few minutes) but the texture comes out better. are u allowed spray butter or any sweetners? but yes cinnamon and vanilla extract, as stated already helps too!

im sure ull get used to it. plus, its carbs baby! Be happy u get a big bowl of it. i used to hate fish, i love it now.

shell is right, unless ur trainer has specific reason why he wants u on it, just ask if u can do oatmeal.

fluteangel
07-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I'm training with Mike Davies and he won't tell me why it's in there. I asked if I could do oats and he said "try grits or cream of wheat" and I'm sure those aren't much better. I would LOVE to have oats, and I would LOVE to know why on earth he's got me eating this nasty stuff...

Thanks for the help! And by the way, the texture isn't so much about whether it's too stiff or lumpy (though both of those dont' help haha) it's just the nature of the stuff period. :)

DanielleA
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM

I second this idea. I can only eat oats w/protein, and I have that cold mixed with very little water so that it's like cereal almost. CofR i have to have hot, by itself, w/the protein in the form of a shake. Otherwise it's pretty nasty!

DanielleA
07-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah, I'm training with Mike Davies and he won't tell me why it's in there. I asked if I could do oats and he said "try grits or cream of wheat" and I'm sure those aren't much better. I would LOVE to have oats, and I would LOVE to know why on earth he's got me eating this nasty stuff...

Thanks for the help! And by the way, the texture isn't so much about whether it's too stiff or lumpy (though both of those dont' help haha) it's just the nature of the stuff period. :)

Oats are digest the slowest out of all of the things you listed, because of it's value on the glycemic index. He doesn't want you eating oats for a reason. I would assume he is trying to lean you out, not fill you up. You can PM myself, Shelly, or Betsy...we all work with Mike, we can answer your questions in private. His stuff is copyrighted so we prefer not to discuss things in a public forum. ;)

MsGuns
07-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I hope your COR ordeal has gotten better...smile

fluteangel
01-05-2009, 12:42 AM
I hope your COR ordeal has gotten better...smile

It did....I quit eating it :D Thanks!

chicky9914
01-21-2009, 02:01 AM
I just like it plain...it's like 10 times better than grits!

mikeyrosie000
01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and brown sugar twin...tastes like pumpkin pie...yum
or
mix cream of rice with egg whites add davinci SF pancake syrup and thrown into a pan for a great pancake!

FitFighter
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
What is the difference? Oats are more filling and have more fiber. I like oat bran, tastes the same a cream of wheat, but with more fiber and protein. I like to add salt, equal and I can't believe its not butter spray. Adding salt to oats or cream of wheat makes all the difference. Trust me - the sweet salty flavor is great.

Fit Nic
01-28-2009, 06:07 AM

I would like to also 2nd (or 3rd) this comment. Definitely keep them seperate. I add a little cinnamin and splenda to flavor it up. I actually love it. It's a nice change up from the oatmeal.

Angela, we'll have to have a Cream of Rice one on one. BTW, don't forget to ask Mike this question at camp this weekend. He always has an answer for everything he does. :)