PDA

View Full Version : what's it take...

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 05:01 AM
to start a charity?

jasons805
03-06-2008, 05:09 AM
I really don't know, but there are so many good ones out there maybe finding one that fits your needs might work too?

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 05:15 AM
well I was wondering about funding research on eating disorders...especially amongst those in sports...the more I fight mine and the more I find others doing the same the more I realize there's not a lot of coverage out there for it...like in terms of recovery processes, support groups nationwide, access to help, etc...it's amazing how many doctors don't want to touch it b/c it's not their specialty...or they want to touch it but there's an actual wait list to see a doc! talk about speaking volumes for the state of our access to help in this country...

jasons805
03-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Maybe starting this topic or another for people who are int he same boat as you. I can see how this sport where your being judged on how you look can lead to eating disorders. Having others share their feelings might lead to more ideas as to how you can help and deal with the problem?

dallas3
03-06-2008, 05:39 AM
I think you should do alot of searching on the internet and asking around to find the contacts and info you need to start a charity. Or like jason said find one that suits what you're looking for.

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 05:49 AM
guess I'm just wanting to do more, you know? let me revisit a thread in the md lockeroom on the topic...it's what got me to thinking about it...

jasons805
03-06-2008, 05:53 AM
guess I'm just wanting to do more, you know? let me revisit a thread in the md lockeroom on the topic...it's what got me to thinking about it...

Not read that MD thread, but I feel you have alot to share that might help others. Start something here and really express how your feel, and what your going through. I can feel you on food controlling you.

dallas3
03-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Don't know how much this might help but here's a link to the National Eating Disorders Association

http://www.edap.org/p.asp?WebPage_ID=337

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 06:03 AM
oh hey yeah that's a good start...thanks D!

dallas3
03-06-2008, 06:10 AM
oh hey yeah that's a good start...thanks D!

Glad to help out, found another site that might help. It's the Womens Sports Foundation and they have some links on eating disorders and different groups that help to combat the problem.

http://www.womenssportsfoundation.org/cgi-bin/iowa/index.html

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 06:23 AM
omg yes! I remember us covering them in a class at UNC...that is an excellent place to start!!!

and oddly enough, I have on a talk show that airs here at 2am-ish and their lead story? ED's possibly being genetic...today has truly been psychic wednesday for me!

ibarramedia
03-06-2008, 06:26 AM
omg yes! I remember us covering them in a class at UNC...that is an excellent place to start!!!

and oddly enough, I have on a talk show that airs here at 2am-ish and their lead story? ED's possibly being genetic...today has truly been psychic wednesday for me!

Sharon pardon me for asking, but do you have an eating disorder? I might have missed on a few posts here and there... If so, how does/did it affect your bodybuilding career? Not trying to be a jerk, trying to help. That is all.

gymdiva
03-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Sharon pardon me for asking, but do you have an eating disorder? I might have missed on a few posts here and there... If so, how does/did it affect your bodybuilding career? Not trying to be a jerk, trying to help. That is all.

yep...it's a struggle...and it's real hard to write about when I've had another relapse recently...

the more I fight mine and the more I find others doing the same...

ibarramedia
03-06-2008, 07:12 AM
yep...it's a struggle...and it's real hard to write about when I've had another relapse recently...

I would guess it might be bulimia... It is probably not anorexia because you would be so rail thin then. Do you have a support group for the ED? Like AA for alcoholics?