PDA

View Full Version : Sprint 8

cray17
09-18-2008, 11:22 PM
As some of you might know, I started a workout program over the summer to lose some unneccesary weight. In May, I was 250 lbs, which was too heavy for me as diabetics runs in the family. I decided that enough was enough and began to go to my college fitness center. One of the programs there was something called the Sprint 8. I don't know how many of you have heard of this cardio program, but let me tell you a little about it...THIS WILL KICK YOU ASS...LITERALLY! :awesome: Trust me, you will know how fit you really are once you do this program.

Here's the breakdown of the Sprint 8, directly from bodybuilding.com:

The Sprint 8 Workout
Refresher: The Sprint 8 Workout can be performed many different ways. What ever the method, the goal is to reach all four critical benchmarks during fitness training necessary for HGH release.

Running 60 meters (70 yards of a 100 yard football field) and progressively building the intensity on each of 8 sprints is the basic program. Each sprint is followed by a 1.5 to 2 minutes walk-back recovery.

While this workout takes around 20 minutes, you only reach maximal, high-intensity effort for generally less than two minutes of the 20 minute program.

The Sprint 8 Workout can be performed while swimming, cycling, or even power walking. It can be done in the gym on an elliptical trainer, stationary bike, recumbent bike, or a treadmill. The only difference - when you ride something that supports your bodyweight, it generally lessens the intensity. And this means that to reach all four GH benchmarks, you'll need to ride just a little longer than if you were running. (Details are in Chapter 8, Accelerating Growth Hormone Release with Anaerobics).

Example: running eight 60 meter sprints in 8 to 12 seconds (depending on fitness level) reaches the GH benchmarks, and so does 8 sets of 20 to 30 seconds of cycle sprints.

New Landmark Research

In a new study, researchers compared growth hormone levels in several ways - resting, after a 6 second cycle sprint, and after 30 second cycle sprint.

They also measured growth hormone for hours afterwards to see how long HGH stayed in participant's bodies after exercise. ("The time course of the human growth hormone response to a 6s and a 30s cycle ergometer sprint, 2002, Stokes).

The Results

The 6 second sprint method did move HGH some, but didn't come close to the body's potential to release this powerful hormone. The 30 second all-out effort sprint experiment increased HGH by 530% over resting baseline and 450% over the lesser intensity sprint. (A summary of this study can be seen at the National Institutes of Health (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12137178&dopt=Abstract).)

Like earlier research studies, HGH stayed elevated for 1.5 to 2 hours after
the sprint program.

The Question

Will I change the Synergy Fitness Sprint 8 Workout to the One 30 second Sprint Workout?

Probably not; here's why. The Sprint 8 is a progressive 8 sprint build-up program (to help avoid injury) verses one all-out 30 second cycle sprint. This may be okay for a young elite athlete. But for most of us, it will take a build-up sprint program to achieve 30 seconds of maximum effort during a workout. In fact, there's some research that shows absolute peak effort can only be held for 4 to 6 seconds.

Also, the Sprint 8 Workout keeps the heart rate above the target heart rate for most of the 20 minute workout, which by-the-way, multi-tasks and accomplishes two workouts (aerobic and anaerobic) in only 20 minutes for our time-crunched adults.

What does this mean to you? If you want the wonderful benefits of increasing growth hormone, Synergy Fitness is the NATURAL choice.

If you want to lose weight faster, I'd recommend the treadmill. That burns more calories than the elipitcal and bicycle. Also after the workout, don't eat any startch, sweet, or any stuff like that for two hours. You can have nuts (as they provide the protein), and, or course, drink plenty of water...before and after the Sprint 8. I've done this program, along with alternating weight-training, and have lost over 15 pounds so far and some inches...and still losing it! :awesome:

Mr. Campbell is now part of my college's athletic program (BTW, I go to Bethel College in McKenzie, TN for those wondering) and his daughter, Christine, is also a member of Bethel as well. I will do my best to bring them to SC.com, as I think their knowledge will benefit many members here tremendously. Later on, I'll post what the Sprint 8 has done for me so far (yes, I'm "coming out of the closet" and revealing myself to all of you).

I highly recommend this to each and every one of you out there. For more on Phil, go to these sites:
http://www.readysetgofitness.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/phil.htm

Hope this was helpful to some of you. :)

KP DIVA
09-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Interesting workout!

tkokayde
09-19-2008, 08:21 PM
I had a client that I went with when he purchased his home elliptical machine. The elliptical had the Sprint 8 as one of the program choices. He started doing it and saw awesome results...I was really impressed. Then he stopped. Haha.

brandiewilliams
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
Phil is a member at our gym in Jackson TN and he bring athletes in from all over the states to teach them the methods of Sprint 8 and plyometrics to increase their speed, strength and endurance. He worked with me a little on some of his workouts and they are amazing. I do recommend the Sprint 8 to many of my clients, but only for a short period of time due to the fact that your legs can increase in size from such explosive movements.

You should google search sprint 8 and read a little about what he teaches. It's really interesting!

cray17
10-08-2008, 04:31 AM
He comes to the Bethel College Wildcats Sports and Fitness Complex from time to time and (if he's not tied up with someone else) ask for advice. He definitely knows his stuff! :)

cray17
10-15-2008, 07:41 PM
:popcorn:

I think I promised that I would "come out of the closet" and show you some before/after pics. Well, here they are! I'm still losing the weight, so I"m far from finished. This is just what I look like now. Everyone at home has seen a difference in me, which makes me happy. What about you all out there?

brandiewilliams
10-16-2008, 01:43 AM
:popcorn:

I think I promised that I would "come out of the closet" and show you some before/after pics. Well, here they are! I'm still losing the weight, so I"m far from finished. This is just what I look like now. Everyone at home has seen a difference in me, which makes me happy. What about you all out there?

Congratulations! :awesome:What a rush huh?! I see the difference in your upper body and your waist. This is going to be the best thing you will ever do for yourself! I have a sixteen year old son that has metabolic syndrome and I wished he could experience what you're going through. Maybe someday......