PDA

View Full Version : your opinion

nabba65pp
03-09-2008, 01:25 PM
What should a person look for when choosing a PT certificate?

A-G
03-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Personally, I would suggest choosing a certification that is reputable and widely accepted in the fitness industry, accredited and based on up-to-date scientific research.

I am definitely not an expert on all of the certifying bodies out there, but I can highly recommend the NSCA-CPT credential. The exam was rigorous (!), but well worth it, in my opinion.

SBT
03-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah definitely go with one that is reputible or at least accepted nation wide :D

nabba65pp
03-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I understand what you are saying but it seems most list that they are accepted here or there... I am looking at AFPA because they offer a child/teen certification which I am looking at. I know PT is limited where I am located, but I think having a child/teen PT certificate along with a regular one I would be more marketable around here..Parents want their children to be the best at whatever sport they would be in, so I feel I could try and corner that end of it.
If anyone has any comments on AFPA please let me know..

dvsness
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd like to see more contributions to this thread. I'm currently looking into NFPT because it's NCCA accredited, not too expensive, accepts those without college experience and comes with IDEA membership.

There are also advanced Sports Nutrition and Weight Training programs available.

nabba65pp
03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I'd like to see more contributions to this thread. I'm currently looking into NFPT because it's NCCA accredited, not too expensive, accepts those without college experience and comes with IDEA membership.

There are also advanced Sports Nutrition and Weight Training programs available.

I will check that one out also see if it has what I am looking for

dvsness
03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
I will check that one out also see if it has what I am looking for

I did not see any teen/child certification listed.

A-G
03-11-2008, 09:41 AM
I understand what you are saying but it seems most list that they are accepted here or there... I am looking at AFPA because they offer a child/teen certification which I am looking at. I know PT is limited where I am located, but I think having a child/teen PT certificate along with a regular one I would be more marketable around here..Parents want their children to be the best at whatever sport they would be in, so I feel I could try and corner that end of it.
If anyone has any comments on AFPA please let me know..
I became certified through AFPA before NSCA. In my experience the AFPA cert is fine if you are just looking to have a PT credential and to obtain it very quickly (they give you 3 months to complete the exam). My primary concern with AFPA's PT cert is that I think that nearly anybody could become certified if they were willing to put the time and effort in (and from a client's perspective that is pretty frightening if you ask me!). It's basically an open-book exam along with taking photographs of yourself in the top and bottom position of selected exercises--think about how much more there is to instructing somebody to perform an exercise correctly than that. :shrug: So in terms of setting you apart, the examination process certainly does not accomplish that; you would be relying primarily on the reputation of the name AFPA itself, and I guess I am not sure how well-respected it is in the industry. ?? With all that said, I did the basic personal trainer certification and they also offer an advanced and master level program, both of which may be more thorough than the one I did. And I do realize that you are asking about the child/teen cert specifically, but I wanted to just share my experience with AFPA in general.

A-G
03-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Vanessa, I was not familiar with the NFPT, but I just checked out their website and I liked what I saw :)...accredited, you actually have to sit for a timed exam, and they require you to do continuing education to maintain your certification (I think this is very important so that trainers review the knowledge they were required to have to get certified in the first place, as well as stay current on new research and information). Once again, I'm hardly an expert on this stuff, but those are my thoughts for whatever they're worth!

nabba65pp
03-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I became certified through AFPA before NSCA. In my experience the AFPA cert is fine if you are just looking to have a PT credential and to obtain it very quickly (they give you 3 months to complete the exam). My primary concern with AFPA's PT cert is that I think that nearly anybody could become certified if they were willing to put the time and effort in (and from a client's perspective that is pretty frightening if you ask me!). It's basically an open-book exam along with taking photographs of yourself in the top and bottom position of selected exercises--think about how much more there is to instructing somebody to perform an exercise correctly than that. :shrug: So in terms of setting you apart, the examination process certainly does not accomplish that; you would be relying primarily on the reputation of the name AFPA itself, and I guess I am not sure how well-respected it is in the industry. ?? With all that said, I did the basic personal trainer certification and they also offer an advanced and master level program, both of which may be more thorough than the one I did. And I do realize that you are asking about the child/teen cert specifically, but I wanted to just share my experience with AFPA in general.
Thank you for your input, thats what I need before I go out and get one that will not help