PDA

View Full Version : How I create a painting ...

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 01:18 AM
I thought I would post up a picture (taken by my 13-year-old son) of what I look like, working on a painting. It is not as romantic as in my avatar, is it? However, much easier on the model ...

http://pics.livejournal.com/detroitfather/pic/001ge3w1.jpg

Long-story short: Using tiny brushes on (fairly) large canvasses means it takes me a long time to finish a painting. :(

ibarramedia
03-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Paul, do you sketch your subject onto the canvass before you paint them?

dvsness
03-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Lol @ easier on the model.

Very cool regardless!

IslandGirl
03-11-2008, 01:33 AM
What a classic shot Paul! I love seeing shots like this.

Shelly
03-11-2008, 02:19 AM
wow paul thats super neat!!

so how do you pic your subjects??

SBT
03-11-2008, 02:44 AM
I agree... what you do is definitely pretty cool!!

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 02:47 AM
Paul, do you sketch your subject onto the canvass before you paint them?

Yes, I spend about 30 minutes sketching the main outlines on the canvas with a sort of waxy pencil. My main purpose for that is to get the proportions right. I don't try to get every detail on their, just the main shapes.

I actually project the photo onto the canvas with an overhead projector. Some folks would consider that "cheating", but for me it is just a time-saver. I know I could eventually sketch the proportions correctly from looking at the photo, but I don't want to mess around with that stage of things.

I felt better about doing that once I learned that many of the Photorealist painters do the same thing.

ibarramedia
03-11-2008, 02:51 AM
Yes, I spend about 30 minutes sketching the main outlines on the canvas with a sort of waxy pencil. My main purpose for that is to get the proportions right. I don't try to get every detail on their, just the main shapes.

I actually project the photo onto the canvas with an overhead projector. Some folks would consider that "cheating", but for me it is just a time-saver. I know I could eventually sketch the proportions correctly from looking at the photo, but I don't want to mess around with that stage of things.

I felt better about doing that once I learned that many of the Photorealist painters do the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with that. I used to paint oils and watercolors when i was younger all through out High school. I also did some oil pastel. I'm terribly out of practice now..... There are many facets to art.

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 02:54 AM
What a classic shot Paul! I love seeing shots like this.

Thanks, IG!

wow paul thats super neat!!

so how do you pic your subjects??

Well, at first, I took all my own photographs, and so it ended up being whoever I thought would make a good subject, and who was willing to set up a photoshoot with me.

To get really good paintings, though, I need to work from a really good photograph, so lately I have been in touch with some photographers, some of whom have agreed to let me create paintings from their photos. The last one I finished, and the one I'm working on in this scene are both from Tom Nine, who is a great guy as well as a very fine photographer.

Even with a good photographer (which I am not), I still sort through dozens of shots to find the most dramatic ones (either in terms of lighting and shadows, or in terms of the model's pose). If I want to paint that particular lady, but no single photograph has everything right in it, I will sometimes combine two photographs.

Now, if I ever do this for a living, I would probably have to choose the subjects based on who was willing to pay a high price for the work. Right now, however, I have the luxury of painting pretty much whatever subject I want. Which is nice!

ripitupbaby
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Very cool Paul...thanks for sharing all this stuff!

:respect:

Mike Pulcinella
03-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Who is that a picture of that you are holding??

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Who is that a picture of that you are holding??

Mike, it is someone you must know pretty well by now. Do you want to take a guess? :D

Mike Pulcinella
03-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Ha ha! I don't need to guess! That's my girl!! I thought so but wasn't 100% sure.

Is the painting done? Can you post it here?

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Ha ha! I don't need to guess! That's my girl!! I thought so but wasn't 100% sure.

Is the painting done? Can you post it here?

Haha ... I wish it was done! She has been patient with me so far. I will post it here, once it is completed! :angel:

Mike Pulcinella
03-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Cool! Wasn't sure if that was a current photo.

Yes, Vicki is VERY patent! She has to be with perfectionist artists like ourselves working on her projects!

Shelly
03-11-2008, 04:27 PM

well that is quite fascinating and i am highly impressed with your work!!

Great Job! And thanks for sharing it with us all!:bowdown:

Mike Pulcinella
03-11-2008, 04:47 PM

My father has been a watercolorist for 50 years. He also uses a projector. (See attached pix) It is a tool like any other. Even the great masters had ways of mechanically transferring an image to canvas. Anyone that thinks it is "cheating" should try it sometime. It in no way guarantees that you will get a good painting, when all is said and done. It is only the first step.

Speaking of the great masters, when you paint in oils do you do an underpainting first? I forget what the method is called but the painting is built up layer by layer to get that depth and glow that the great old paintings have. I could imagine the classic techniques would be well suited for paintings of stunning physiques.

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
My father has been a watercolorist for 50 years. He also uses a projector. (See attached pix) It is a tool like any other. Even the great masters had ways of mechanically transferring an image to canvas. Anyone that thinks it is "cheating" should try it sometime. It in no way guarantees that you will get a good painting, when all is said and done. It is only the first step.

Speaking of the great masters, when you paint in oils do you do an underpainting first? I forget what the method is called but the painting is built up layer by layer to get that depth and glow that the great old paintings have. I could imagine the classic techniques would be well suited for paintings of stunning physiques.

Wow! Those are great! I especially like the one with the snow and the railroad tracks.

I have tried using the under-painting method a few times, and I haven't really liked the results. So I ended up just doing what seemed right to me, which is trying (where possible) to get the final finished look in just one layer. One of the great things about being self-taught is that there is nobody around to tell you ... No, no, not that way!

Mike Pulcinella
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow! Those are great! I especially like the one with the snow and the railroad tracks.

I have tried using the under-painting method a few times, and I haven't really liked the results. So I ended up just doing what seemed right to me, which is trying (where possible) to get the final finished look in just one layer. One of the great things about being self-taught is that there is nobody around to tell you ... No, no, not that way!

Good point! That's the same for me with video. I think that my first documentary seemed to fresh and new in the BB world because I had never SEEN a BB video. I was just making the story of my brother's life as best I could.

The railroad painting won several awards, as did these two. After my dad won the award for yet another winter painting I began to call him "Mr. Snow", kidding him that snow was the only thing he could really paint well! (It's not true. Far from it.) But, as you say, you must go with your strengths and never listen to the naysayers. The only critics I listen to are other artists I respect.

ibarramedia
03-11-2008, 06:04 PM
I love the paintings. Great work...

Mightymouse
03-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Love your work :respect:

anglicanbeachparty
03-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Love your work :respect:

Thank you, Claire! That means a lot, coming from you!!

Mightymouse
03-19-2008, 04:20 AM
Thank you, Claire! That means a lot, coming from you!!

why thank you, but you are the one that does the amazing work, :respect:much much respect. :waving:

anglicanbeachparty
03-20-2008, 02:13 PM
why thank you, but you are the one that does the amazing work, :respect:much much respect. :waving:

I don't think that creating a painting is nearly as hard as the kind of contest prep you have done. I was so impressed by the B/W photos John Stutz took of you a few weeks before the Nationals last year! Some of the best bodybuilding photos I've ever seen. :respect:

wildangel
04-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Hey!! That picture is me!!! Cool!! Its Nice to see you at work on my painting...I know it will be amazing:)) I am in NO hurry, I am smart enough to know that: You CANT rush a true artist:))
Love u guys!!!
V:waving:

anglicanbeachparty
04-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, that is you, Vicki!

I am somewhat further along now. Thanks for your patience!!

--Paul

Michelle Brent
04-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Paul, Hi there. Well I want you to know my painitng is framed and hanging in the upper level hallway of my condo, right before the bedrooms ;>). I want to thank you so much again!!!! If I have a beef, you are too detailed, should of had you botox my face :D
Big Hugs, Michelle

anglicanbeachparty
04-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi Michelle ... I'm glad that you have gotten the painting framed. If you get a chance, please snap a photo of it, so I can see it with the frame! I'm always curious about that ... how the paintings look "installed".

Well I think your face looks fine! :respect:

Hugs right back at ya ... :hug:

Aletha
07-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks for sharing. I like the picture taken by your 13yr old. Your paintings are great as well.

anglicanbeachparty
07-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for sharing. I like the picture taken by your 13yr old. Your paintings are great as well.

Thanks, Aletha!