PDA

View Full Version : Negative Feedback

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:11 PM
We all know that we come to the boards to seek support, and gain knowledge of a sport that we all love and take very seriously.

But how do you deal with the other side of it? ignorant people who just seem to NOT GET IT!

Today I had a HIGHLY IMMATURE girl Myspace me a message (this girl does NOT get along with one of my friends...and was simply being immature and trying to start trouble) and told me to lay off the juice, and that I look like a MAN.

well obviously she was trying to hit a nerve with me, and I told her to GET A LIFE!!! But how do you all handle such feedback? Have you experienced it?? I am far from HUGE...but i STILL face this from time to time! More importantly I work hard for my muscle gains and am very proud of them! And for the record I don't take anything, its just not for me... i am Natural...

but it still nonetheless pissed me off and kind of set a nagative tone to my day.

*Bunny*
03-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Aww Im sorry to hear that.

One thing I think is important to realize that no matter what you say to this person you will not change the way they view you. I just do not think that is possible with many negative people who come off in attack mode. IMO you have to change the way you view and handle them.

It is not bad to feel hurt then angry then you move on. But dignifying people like that with a response really does nothing to help you in the long run, while it may feel good at the time.

It's VERY hard to apply this daily, Im still at about 80% but no one else is going to do it for me, or make people like this go away. There will ALWAYS be some that trickle in.

I seriously wish them well in life and hope some day they can find happiness. And I move on.

I do not dwell on what he said or she said and when I find myself doing that, I try to immediately remove that thought, sometimes I focus on my breathing like I would if I was meditating, or something else completely.

I also try to counter any negative thoughts with several positive thoughts.

I wouldnt tell you suppress the emotion but feel it and dismiss it, you have better things to do with your day than worrying about someone whose opinion really doesn't matter. And do what you can to cut off the energy source or contact with that person. I wont even acknowledge messages from some people anymore. How empowering the 'delete' key is ;)

I hope that makes sense, and it takes practice.

You have plenty of people here who love you so... support & positive energy abundant here.

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
thanks Mand:

You are totally right. I don't even know thic chick so it was easy for me to dismiss her. BUT, I still am sensitive, and can't help but be bothered by peoples words.

and on top of me the ignorance sinks deep, and in the end I feel sorry for them.

But I needed to vent- and it made me feel beter :) Your honest and kinds words also hit home so thank you girl:kiss:

fitmomma3
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM
When its legit negative feedback its a little harder to get over...but this is just STUPID - lol you look so far from what was said its ridiculous, so you almost have to chuckle and ignore it. Sometimes writing something nasty back makes you feel better :D:angel: but in the end does very little for you as you stoop to their level. Ignoring it completely as if they are not even worth your time AT ALL is the best tactic. I always think WOW someone took the time to look at my stuff and write something to me... why is that? How often do you look at something you don't like or actually go the next step and message someone you don't like? Its jealousy, its pettiness, its immature and YOU are way better than that!

Lynx
03-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, she's obviously jealous. You and your sister are gorgeous!! :lovable:

fitmomma3
03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
thanks Mand:

You are totally right. I don't even know thic chick so it was easy for me to dismiss her. BUT, I still am sensitive, and can't help but be bothered by peoples words.

and on top of me the ignorance sinks deep, and in the end I feel sorry for them.

But I needed to vent- and it made me feel beter :) Your honest and kinds words also hit home so thank you girl:kiss:
Words always stick. People who say they don't care are only suppressing it IMO, even if you don't care you still remember it... but remember for every negative person you have 100 positive that praise, and encourage so focus on that!;) You're awesome offseason,your new pics, your spread in MD, moding here! So many positives...hmmmm even enough to make someone jealous and send you a nasty comment?:mad:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:36 PM
awww thanks Mer!:kiss:

We are two of the most humble people when it comes to minding our busniess or passing judgment... so its pisses me off then people make rude assumptions:banghead:

*Bunny*
03-12-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks Mand:

But I needed to vent- and it made me feel beter :) Your honest and kinds words also hit home so thank you girl:kiss:You're welcome. Telling you that helps me too ya know.

Venting is important. There is a difference in venting then taking on the negative attitude of people like that, where it becomes contagious? THANK GAWD for good friends to have you check yourself when that happens.

Honestly girl, I wouldnt even feel sorry for them. Just more of your energy wasted. ;)

I dont think you look too big or manly at all. I assume b/c youre not rail thin, nor am I for that matter others deem it necessary to rain on our happy day parade.

My beau was showing my pics off to his friends one night and they were like "OMG you like that?"

I gave them the benefit of the doubt b/c they were very ignorant of why I was so tan, cut, and shiny. Haha. Protan can be shocking at first glance, let alone on a 30" TV screen (it was hooked as the PC Monitor so the pics were Ha_UGE). The more I let them in to the idea of what competition is or the whole idea of 'the prep' the better they understood, but it wasnt my mission to make them accept me.

The respect level has shifted a bit these days. Funny how that works.

/jack

sorry about that, just wanted to use an example

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Words always stick. People who say they don't care are only suppressing it IMO, even if you don't care you still remember it... but remember for every negative person you have 100 positive that praise, and encourage so focus on that! You're awesome offseason,your new pics, your spread in MD, moding here! So many positives...hmmmm even enough to make someone jealous and send you a nasty comment?:mad:

you are right stephy:respect:

but words DO hurt...and its easier to remember the 1 bad comment, than the 100 good ones. NOT that its OKAY to be that way...but I am only human, and its true in my case.

Thank you for being supportive... you and all the other great chicas on here... makes me feel 110% better!:kiss:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:39 PM
When its legit negative feedback its a little harder to get over...but this is just STUPID - lol you look so far from what was said its ridiculous, so you almost have to chuckle and ignore it. Sometimes writing something nasty back makes you feel better :D:angel: but in the end does very little for you as you stoop to their level. Ignoring it completely as if they are not even worth your time AT ALL is the best tactic. I always think WOW someone took the time to look at my stuff and write something to me... why is that? How often do you look at something you don't like or actually go the next step and message someone you don't like? Its jealousy, its pettiness, its immature and YOU are way better than that!

amen to this as well!:awesome:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
You're welcome. Telling you that helps me too ya know.

Venting is important. There is a difference in venting then taking on the negative attitude of people like that, where it becomes contagious? THANK GAWD for good friends to have you check yourself when that happens.

Honestly girl, I wouldnt even feel sorry for them. Just more of your energy wasted. ;)

I dont think you look too big or manly at all. I assume b/c youre not rail thin, nor am I for that matter others deem it necessary to rain on our happy day parade.

My beau was showing my pics off to his friends one night and they were like "OMG you like that?"

I gave them the benefit of the doubt b/c they were very ignorant of why I was so tan, cut, and shiny. Haha. Protan can be shocking at first glance, let alone on a 30" TV screen (it was hooked as the PC Monitor so the pics were Ha_UGE). The more I let them in to the idea of what competition is or the whole idea of 'the prep' the better they understood, but it wasnt my mission to make them accept me.

The respect level has shifted a bit these days. Funny how that works.

/jack

sorry about that, just wanted to use an example

LOL dont be sorry! i totally understand!
The bottom line is i am VERY PROUD of how i look, my gained muscle, my curves, etc. I finally have a FIT offseason look, that i worked VERY hard for thus far. and while many may respect it, i also feel others will not understand it... and may even envy it but since girls can be quite insecure (esp ones that do NOT compete) they find it hard to compliment another female...ever experience this??

So it is what it is... it was a dumb comment, that came from someone who i dont know from a hole in the wall... Nick laughs as me for even taking it serious. you know what his response was???? "YES thats good if you LOOK like you are on stuff to other people! You have really made noticable gains!" LMAO

MEN!:p

anglicanbeachparty
03-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Today I had a HIGHLY IMMATURE girl Myspace me a message (this girl does NOT get along with one of my friends...and was simply being immature and trying to start trouble) and told me to lay off the juice, and that I look like a MAN.

I agree with fitmomma3 ... when it is this far off, you just have to laugh. If you look like a man ... umm ... then I guess that makes me gay! :banghead:

They had some T-shirts for sale at the Arnold, that said: No, I'm not on 'roids, but thanks for asking. Your post reminded me of them.

Shelly
03-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I agree with fitmomma3 ... when it is this far off, you just have to laugh. If you look like a man ... umm ... then I guess that makes me gay! :banghead:

They had some T-shirts for sale at the Arnold, that said: No, I'm not on 'roids, but thanks for asking. Your post reminded me of them.

:kiss: You are right... i should laugh! maybe i need a thicker skin!!!:o

I saw those too I shoulda bought one :p

Femphysiquefan
03-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Interesting thread. I don't know if you would mind hearing a male perspective on this, but as a guy who is a fan of your sport I sometimes go through a similar situation. Occasionally over on MySpace I'll get someone on my page (or encounter someone in my real life who's seen my page) who asks, "How can you be a fan of such disgusting women and such a horrible sport?? They're all trying to be men!!," etc etc. For me, if they're asking such a question to get a legitimate answer, I do my best to respond as positively and honestly as possible as to why I'm such an admirer of muscular ladies; but if they're asking just to get a rise out of me, I just ignore them altogether. I understand what you mean when you say sensitive: same here. One negative is all it takes to ruin my day, but I've learned that only happens when I consciously choose to LET IT ruin my day: it doesn't have to. However, even though it's difficult, I've learned to make the conscious effort to focus on the positive when the negative comes my way. One person thinks I'm crazy or perverted to support something like female muscle?? fine: big deal. What about all those other people, namely the ladies themselves as well as my fellow guy fans, that I've had the opportunity to meet and befriend both here on-line and face-to-face who genuinely appreciate the support I give them, or share the admiration that I have for these incredible women?? These are far more important to me than the ignorant ranting of someone who really doesn't even know me or taken the time to do so. I say when someone like that comes along again, don't dwell on what they've said. Instead, think of all the positive things your involvement in this lifestyle has brought about. Think about all the wonderful things that living healthy enables you to do, not to mention all the amazing people that your involvement in this lifestyle and sport has enabled you to meet and make lifelong friends with, and you will feel SO much better. Sorry that I missed the two of you at the Arnold!!! Keep up the excellent work, you two!!

Shelly
03-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Interesting thread. I don't know if you would mind hearing a male perspective on this, but as a guy who is a fan of your sport I sometimes go through a similar situation. Occasionally over on MySpace I'll get someone on my page (or encounter someone in my real life who's seen my page) who asks, "How can you be a fan of such disgusting women and such a horrible sport?? They're all trying to be men!!," etc etc. For me, if they're asking such a question to get a legitimate answer, I do my best to respond as positively and honestly as possible as to why I'm such an admirer of muscular ladies; but if they're asking just to get a rise out of me, I just ignore them altogether. I understand what you mean when you say sensitive: same here. One negative is all it takes to ruin my day, but I've learned that only happens when I consciously choose to LET IT ruin my day: it doesn't have to. However, even though it's difficult, I've learned to make the conscious effort to focus on the positive when the negative comes my way. One person thinks I'm crazy or perverted to support something like female muscle?? fine: big deal. What about all those other people, namely the ladies themselves as well as my fellow guy fans, that I've had the opportunity to meet and befriend both here on-line and face-to-face who genuinely appreciate the support I give them, or share the admiration that I have for these incredible women?? These are far more important to me than the ignorant ranting of someone who really doesn't even know me or taken the time to do so. I say when someone like that comes along again, don't dwell on what they've said. Instead, think of all the positive things your involvement in this lifestyle has brought about. Think about all the wonderful things that living healthy enables you to do, not to mention all the amazing people that this lifestyle and sport has enabled you to meet and make lifelong friends with, and you will feel SO much better. Sorry that I missed the two of you at the Arnold!!! Keep up the excellent work, you two!!

Wow thank you so much!!!:grouphug:

its nice to hear your side of things... YOU even experience it and you are simply supporting these ladies!!
I mean just like in life... people all are entitiled to their own opinions. and I will continue to embrace those in my lif that support me and what i do.

the rest can kiss my:ass:

:p oh and we hope to meet you soon!

Siouxcountry
03-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Let me guess that woman who said that to you does not weight train?

I deal with ignorant, and assholes online quite often. This is my response to all those people who think of me as a "schmoe". :FU:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Let me guess that woman who said that to you does not weight train?

I deal with ignorant, and assholes online quite often. This is my response to all those people who think of me as a "schmoe". :FU:

:awesome::awesome:

oh and yeah i forgot to mention..she was FAT!:D

ripitupbaby
03-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Negative feedback usually makes me laugh. I deal with it pretty often, mostly from guys who have issues with women lol, and it doesn't bother me at all because it only makes them look bad, not you. :)

Shelly
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Negative feedback usually makes me laugh. I deal with it pretty often, mostly from guys who have issues with women lol, and it doesn't bother me at all because it only makes them look bad, not you. :)

true story girl....

i feel better already think i just needed to get it out! :hula:

dvsness
03-12-2008, 08:36 PM
This is oh so reminiscent of an argument I had yesterday.

ripitupbaby
03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
The only person you gotta please in this world is yourself. :cool:

IslandGirl
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Misery loves company. She is over-weight and I'm assuming she is not happy with herself so she has to seek out victims that she can bring down to keep her company.

Shelly! Betsy! You both are gorgeous ladies and I'm taking a wild guess in that there is some jealousy going on deep inside of her towards you both. She probably wishes that she had the drive and determination that you both have.

I would pray for her.

Wuv you 2!

SBT
03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
WTF?!?!?! http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Signs/sorry.GIF

Some people are ridiculous!!!

You surely didn't need that, BIG :hug: your way dear!

*Bunny*
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Misery loves company. She is over-weight and I'm assuming she is not happy with herself so she has to seek out victims that she can bring down to keep her company.

Shelly! Betsy! You both are gorgeous ladies and I'm taking a wild guess in that there is some jealousy going on deep inside of her towards you both. She probably wishes that she had the drive and determination that you both have.

I would pray for her.

Wuv you 2!Lets see

I am gorgeous

I am successful

I am a blonde

I have big boobs and a killer bod...

+ I have a twin...

I can just see a list drinking the

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/jb21-2007/haterade.jpg

dvsness
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
The only person you gotta please in this world is yourself. :cool:

Except for you. You have to please me as well. :D

SBT
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM
:kiss: You are right... i should laugh! maybe i need a thicker skin!!!:o

I saw those too I shoulda bought one :p

Awww I didn't see that shirt, or I SO would have gotten it as well!

I had a client tell me the week before the Arnold, that they didn't wanna get "big" like me... talk about a laugh :)

Shelly
03-12-2008, 09:06 PM

please share:popcorn:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 09:07 PM

I would pray for her.

Wuv you 2!

Thanks you Trace!:kiss: WUV U MORE:p

SBT
please share:popcorn:

wait, let me grab my :popcorn: too :)

Shelly
Lets see

I am gorgeous

I am successful

I am a blonde

I have big boobs and a killer bod...

+ I have a twin...

I can just see a list drinking the

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/jb21-2007/haterade.jpg

HAHAHA

You are the best------ cant stand HATERZZZZZZZZZZZ:mad:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 09:08 PM
wait, let me grab my :popcorn: too :)

:popcorn::popcorn: <-- me and you

;)

Lynx
03-12-2008, 09:11 PM
:popcorn::popcorn: <-- me and you

;)

Me too :popcorn:

Shelly
03-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Me too :popcorn:

Okay.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:<--- US 3!!!!!

hehe:p

Femphysiquefan
03-12-2008, 09:14 PM

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
-Figuretwins- -SBT- -Me- -Lynx-

OK, now that you have an audience, would you please spill the details?? :D :p

oreganoo
03-12-2008, 09:26 PM
hello,

i would say that she is jealous. you all look good and have a live. donīt make her personal problem of to yours.

its stupid to think that women who train want to be men, but i guess that they even dontīt try to think. tolerance requires intelligence.
haters are everywhere, they are poor people, because their mind live in a very small space.

i made for myspace this

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/basiliko/icons/haterstakethis.jpg

cray17
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I sorry that happen to you ladies. She's obviously fat, stupid, uneducated, or a combination of the three, or some other things I didn't mention.

Here's what my grandmother would tell me when someone tries to piss you off: tell God to bless them and move on. It's hard (especially these days), but by doing this, you're being the "bigger" person. Kindness is your greatest weapon. :awesome:

Shelly
03-13-2008, 12:20 AM
hello,

i would say that she is jealous. you all look good and have a live. donīt make her personal problem of to yours.

its stupid to think that women who train want to be men, but i guess that they even dontīt try to think. tolerance requires intelligence.
haters are everywhere, they are poor people, because their mind live in a very small space.

i made for myspace this

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/basiliko/icons/haterstakethis.jpg

LOL Oreganoo... btw what is your name??

sorry i may have missed that LOL

anyway, i agree tolerance requires intelligence...i like that!:respect:

thank you for the support!

I sorry that happen to you ladies. She's obviously fat, stupid, uneducated, or a combination of the three, or some other things I didn't mention.

Here's what my grandmother would tell me when someone tries to piss you off: tell God to bless them and move on. It's hard (especially these days), but by doing this, you're being the "bigger" person. Kindness is your greatest weapon. :awesome:

I always try and be the bigger one.. i agree this time i stooped lol byt then i gave up when she responded with more nasty crap...

we arent children here! But thanks Cray you RULE:awesome:

KP DIVA
03-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Wow!! It's amazing the freedom of speech the internet has caused!! It's absolutely amazing how total strangers will try to bring you down just b/c they don't understand what you are doing and haven't made any attempts to understand. I'm willing to bet Ms. Thic Chic would never come to you and say that to you face to face.

Shelly
03-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Wow!! It's amazing the freedom of speech the internet has caused!! It's absolutely amazing how total strangers will try to bring you down just b/c they don't understand what you are doing and haven't made any attempts to understand. I'm willing to bet Ms. Thic Chic would never come to you and say that to you face to face.

LMAO!!! I KNOWWW what about the good old days hwne you minded your business... OR if you had nothing nice to say you didnt say it at all!:mad:

Atleast I can come here and vent and you all make if not feel so bad!:kiss:

KP DIVA
03-13-2008, 12:44 AM
LMAO!!! I KNOWWW what about the good old days hwne you minded your business... OR if you had nothing nice to say you didnt say it at all!:mad:

Atleast I can come here and vent and you all make if not feel so bad!:kiss:

I have no clue what has happened to society....ppl now think it's there right to say whatever they want w/o any consideration of how it will make the other person feel. But trust me...she wants your body and she's just mad that she can't have it!!

Shelly
03-13-2008, 12:49 AM
I have no clue what has happened to society....ppl now think it's there right to say whatever they want w/o any consideration of how it will make the other person feel. But trust me...she wants your body and she's just mad that she can't have it!!

that is why i am scared to have kids in such a society!!! respect has greatly gone down the tubes!!!

and she would take mine, or yours, or any of the lovely ladies on this site's body i am sure... you shoulda seen her LOL

KP DIVA
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
that is why i am scared to have kids in such a society!!! respect has greatly gone down the tubes!!!

and she would take mine, or yours, or any of the lovely ladies on this site's body i am sure... you shoulda seen her LOL

LOL! I agree w/ one of the other posters...Misery luvs company!! She was hoping her comments would upset you so bad you'd go eat some Ben & Jerry's or Cold Stone Ice Cream..(ooops, sorry, can you tell I'm having some serious cravings over here!!)

I truly hope that the respect we having on this board stays high..I really love it. I tried really hard to mingle in alot of the other forums on MD...but it seemed like ppl were very rude and took everything you said out of context and were trying to pick fights. This board definitely feels like home!!

Shelly
03-13-2008, 01:02 AM
LOL! I agree w/ one of the other posters...Misery luvs company!! She was hoping her comments would upset you so bad you'd go eat some Ben & Jerry's or Cold Stone Ice Cream..(ooops, sorry, can you tell I'm having some serious cravings over here!!)

I truly hope that the respect we having on this board stays high..I really love it. I tried really hard to mingle in alot of the other forums on MD...but it seemed like ppl were very rude and took everything you said out of context and were trying to pick fights. This board definitely feels like home!!

totally agree girl we are like a FAM over here! we are TIGHT!:gh2:

and we def hae a vibe that OTHER boards do NOT!!!!

jenscats5
03-13-2008, 01:04 AM

I definitely have to agree with this.....people have really become jerks....

As someone else said - misery loves company....a lot of miserable people can't be 'happy' unless they spread their misery to others. And a lot of people are just toxic people who enjoy degrading others. Then there's those who are so unhappy & insecure that they can't feel better unless they degrade others.

You look so far from a man that I wouldn't even pay attn to her. I've said to people "If it makes you feel better about yourself to try & bring me down then have at it." Most don't know what to say after that......

Shelly
03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
I definitely have to agree with this.....people have really become jerks....

As someone else said - misery loves company....a lot of miserable people can't be 'happy' unless they spread their misery to others. And a lot of people are just toxic people who enjoy degrading others. Then there's those who are so unhappy & insecure that they can't feel better unless they degrade others.

You look so far from a man that I wouldn't even pay attn to her. I've said to people "If it makes you feel better about yourself to try & bring me down then have at it." Most don't know what to say after that......

totally agree girl. people think you take magic pills and get in shape...and it makes them jealous. they dont realize the work that goes into our physiques...and they are sad souls:nuts:

jenscats5
03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
totally agree girl. people think you take magic pills and get in shape...and it makes them jealous. they dont realize the work that goes into our physiques...and they are sad souls:nuts:

Exactly...they think there's some secret....some ask for my help & when I tell them what to do I get "Ohhhhh no, I can't do that!" argh!

Shelly
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Exactly...they think there's some secret....some ask for my help & when I tell them what to do I get "Ohhhhh no, I can't do that!" argh!

quote of my trainer mike davies;

"If it were easy, everyone would do it!":awesome:

jenscats5
03-13-2008, 01:12 AM

Werd!! :D

Mercury Girl
03-13-2008, 01:26 AM

Ugh! I hate it when people say "I can't" when what they really mean is "I won't". :banghead:

Anyway, this is a great thread! Lots of good advice and positive comments! I like it! :D To everyone who contributed: :awesome:

Shelly
03-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Ugh! I hate it when people say "I can't" when what they really mean is "I won't". :banghead:

Anyway, this is a great thread! Lots of good advice and positive comments! I like it! :D To everyone who contributed: :awesome:

ditto girl!:awesome:

SBT
03-13-2008, 01:40 AM

Yup heard that one QUITE a few times, and LOVE it everytime!! :respect:

ripitupbaby
03-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Except for you. You have to please me as well. :D

OK you too! :D

dvsness
03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
I'm too tired to make all that :popcorn: worthwhile. I did start a war thread with my bf in bb.com because of some dumb statements he made. He and his boss, whom are in this industry, have made some pretty callous statements on that site against women who choose to have a more muscular and less Playboy physique. It got pretty ugly and I ended up deleting the thread.

Lynx
03-13-2008, 02:08 AM
You got in a fight with you boyfriend (bf)? That sucks. :(

SandraWickham
03-13-2008, 02:08 AM
I was once given the advice to "get a bigger raincoat"........so that kind of crap just slides right off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:awesome:

dvsness
03-13-2008, 02:36 AM
You got in a fight with you boyfriend (bf)? That sucks. :(

He is typically very supportive of my goals. I think he is saying stupid shit to please his handlers, so to speak.

dvsness
03-13-2008, 02:37 AM
I was once given the advice to "get a bigger raincoat"........so that kind of crap just slides right off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:awesome:

I can dig that.

jlay
03-13-2008, 05:56 AM
I remember after my mom saw pics of my first show, she said I looked gross! I lived out of town & she had not been at the show or seen me in a while! I was so proud of myself & was competely hurt to hear this from my mother. I don't think she intentionally means to hurt me, but come on how could that not hurt coming from my mama? She told me after my 2nd show that she came to watch that she admired my dedication. She really had not idea how much work went into it. She then went on to say that all of us girls looked like men with a bunch of tan & makeup:mad:
Then I look at her a realize how unhappy she is with her body. She is very petite & little. She is 5ft 2 & weighs hardly anything & eats hardly anything either. She constantly says she is fat. What is funny is now that she is in her 50s, she looks like one of those skinny fat people! Ya'll know what I mean! She really needs some strength training! She says I am the giant in the family. I don't live around any of my family, which I think actually makes it easier on me bc everytime I go to visit I feel like I need to be super skinny! But, that is not what I want or what makes me happy. I have worked too hard for the muscle I have & will continue to do so! By, the way, it doesn't hurt that my husband likes my look!

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 06:00 AM
cravings over here!!)

I agree with you. This board and FB are great boards! Everyone gets along very well and are very supportive of each other.

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 06:01 AM
I remember after my mom saw pics of my first show, she said I looked gross! I lived out of town & she had not been at the show or seen me in a while! I was so proud of myself & was competely hurt to hear this from my mother. I don't think she intentionally means to hurt me, but come on how could that not hurt coming from my mama? She told me after my 2nd show that she came to watch that she admired my dedication. She really had not idea how much work went into it. She then went on to say that all of us girls looked like men with a bunch of tan & makeup:mad:
Then I look at her a realize how unhappy she is with her body. She is very petite & little. She is 5ft 2 & weighs hardly anything & eats hardly anything either. She constantly says she is fat. What is funny is now that she is in her 50s, she looks like one of those skinny fat people! Ya'll know what I mean! She really needs some strength training! She says I am the giant in the family. I don't live around any of my family, which I think actually makes it easier on me bc everytime I go to visit I feel like I need to be super skinny! But, that is not what I want or what makes me happy. I have worked too hard for the muscle I have & will continue to do so! By, the way, it doesn't hurt that my husband likes my look!

That is horrible for a Mom to say that. I'm sorry!!! :hug:

KP DIVA
03-13-2008, 01:04 PM

Hi J,

I think you hit it on the nail....a lot of the comments we get are from folks who have never been around anything like bodybuilding or figure. And of course if our family are unhealthy or not happy with their bodies they may think what we're doing is on the extreme end and not healthy either.

I'm sorry your mom made the comments...but trust you are not alone. I'm in your same situation and my parents had not seen me in 4 months....so loosing an extensive amount of weight would have any loved one concerned when they really don't understand...and for me personally, I didn't look the same in the face!! After 3 shows, my parents started acting like judges....lol! They knew who hadn't dieted, who cheated, and who needed to add or tone down the muscle!!

oreganoo
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
LOL Oreganoo... btw what is your name??

The most people know me as mo.
i pm you my real name

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 02:25 PM
oh and yeah i forgot to mention..she was FAT!

THERE YOU GO. THERE IS YOUR ANSWER. LOL DID I HEAR "JEALOUSY"???

IGNORE. You know perfectly well the sacrifice, commitment and dedication you've put into your gains. That person has no concept or your journey, and even if she did there is a chance she would not be willing to walk in those shoes and travel that journey herself. It's hard, and not everyone is willing to make the sacrifice (yet they wish they had the results you have I'm quite sure). Don't give it any energy, and use that energy instead to keep on moving forward -- in fact move forward FASTER. You go girl!!! Be proud!!!

Shelly
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM

IGNORE. You know perfectly well the sacrifice, commitment and dedication you've put into your gains. That person has no concept or your journey, and even if she did there is a chance she would not be willing to walk in those shoes and travel that journey herself. It's hard, and not everyone is willing to make the sacrifice (yet they wish they had the results you have I'm quite sure). Don't give it any energy, and use that energy instead to keep on moving forward -- in fact move forward FASTER. You go girl!!! Be proud!!!

HI JEN!!:waving: thanks for joining here!!!

You are so right!! Thanks girl! BTW get an avi up there you look HOT!:bowdown:

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Ah you are too sweet! Okay let me try this! ;)

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Loving your Avi as well girlie! You ladies take awesome photos. I have yet to take professional photos. I have to get that going sometime soon.

Shelly
03-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Loving your Avi as well girlie! You ladies take awesome photos. I have yet to take professional photos. I have to get that going sometime soon.

There ya go!!! :D

You should get em done you are beeyouteeful!:angel:

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm gettin' shy now. hee hee Thank you -- you are so sweet and by tHE way DITTO!!! :o:flex:

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM

:aloha: Jen! So great to have you here!

dvsness
03-13-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm gettin' shy now. hee hee Thank you -- you are so sweet and by tHE way DITTO!!! :o:flex:

I know you. :) Welcome!

SBT
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Glad to have you here Jen ;) :welcome:

Shelly
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
He is typically very supportive of my goals. I think he is saying stupid shit to please his handlers, so to speak.

i almost missed this...

well i think ALL men have that attitude once in a while...

they say crap around their "boys" so to speak... when in reality its unjustified retarded staements....

nick has done it!! and i call him out everytime!:D

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello ladies! Thanks for the welcome! ;)

SBT
03-13-2008, 03:13 PM

I had a similar situtation happen....

Growing up I was always on the "hefty" side although I played sports (just about all of them) so I did have quite a bit of muscle mass I also was just big. I mean a size 13/14 and 175 lbs for an 8th grader is heavy :o And I stayed that way til my junior year in college... now I grew up in MA around my family til I was 10, so unless I made an occasional trip back thats how they got used to seeing me. Well I remember when I sent my show pictures, my grandmas words were you look like you need food, and badly. You are too skinny :(

But then after seeing me in person, and hearing me talk about it, they finally came around and also said they have a ton of respect for me and the others in this :)

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 03:21 PM
There is nothing like the love and support of the people who truly care about you. When you are truly loved, although initially surprised at our changes, people come through for you and show support. THIS IS HOW YOU KNOW who is on your side and who is not. LOL

Shelly
03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I had a similar situtation happen....

Growing up I was always on the "hefty" side although I played sports (just about all of them) so I did have quite a bit of muscle mass I also was just big. I mean a size 13/14 and 175 lbs for an 8th grader is heavy :o And I stayed that way til my junior year in college... now I grew up in MA around my family til I was 10, so unless I made an occasional trip back thats how they got used to seeing me. Well I remember when I sent my show pictures, my grandmas words were you look like you need food, and badly. You are too skinny :(

But then after seeing me in person, and hearing me talk about it, they finally came around and also said they have a ton of respect for me and the others in this :)

its hard when your fam reacts this way b/ you expect them to be yoru biggest fans and UNDERSTAND... but we have to remember that our parents had NO IDEA about ANY of this when they were growing up...so its foreign to many of them!

my dad STILL cant come to our shows..hes old school Italian...and he cant bear to see his daughters in bikinis LOL

SBT
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Yup I agree... it makes me more thankful to have you ladies here though :D

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
my dad STILL cant come to our shows..hes old school Italian...and he cant bear to see his daughters in bikinis LOL

Oh God how funny is this? Too cute. LOL

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I competed back in Hawaii (where my dad lives still) and my dad never ever came to watch me compete. I think there were possibly 2 reasons. At the time, I was a single parent and he felt I spent too much time in the gym and not with my daughter. Oh brother....come on now. I was probably in the gym for about 1.5 hours/4-5x a week (some only cardio days). And 2) I figured he just couldn't watch me posing on stage. lol.

Last year when I competed in Vegas. He flew to Vegas to watch me. Granted I didn't place where I would've liked to and I cried when I gathered around my family after the show, but he hugged me with tears in his eyes and told me how beautiful I looked and how proud he was of me. That was all I needed!

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM

LOL! I think my dad was surprised when he saw me walk on stage. Can you say heart attack? hehehe

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 04:02 PM
OMG How touching is that story? Choked me up Island Girl. When someone support you on your goals, even if they don't understand your mission, but show you support and love regardless. To me, that's priceless.

Shelly
03-13-2008, 04:04 PM
I competed back in Hawaii (where my dad lives still) and my dad never ever came to watch me compete. I think there were possibly 2 reasons. At the time, I was a single parent and he felt I spent too much time in the gym and not with my daughter. Oh brother....come on now. I was probably in the gym for about 1.5 hours/4-5x a week (some only cardio days). And 2) I figured he just couldn't watch me posing on stage. lol.

Last year when I competed in Vegas. He flew to Vegas to watch me. Granted I didn't place where I would've liked to and I cried when I gathered around my family after the show, but he hugged me with tears in his eyes and told me how beautiful I looked and how proud he was of me. That was all I needed!

awwww how sweet is that Trace!!! make me want to give you all a :grouphug:

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
OMG How touching is that story? Choked me up Island Girl. When someone support you on your goals, even if they don't understand your mission, but show you support and love regardless. To me, that's priceless.

Yes, I was surprised!

At first, when I knew my plans to compete in Vegas. My husband called my dad and told him about me competing in Vegas and that we would love it if he would come to watch me (he visits Vegas all the time!). I told Cameron before he called, I know what my dad is going to say. No.

Well....his answer was close. Maybe....I'll try, but I'm not sure if I can swing it.

THEN a couple months later...he called and said he was coming. I was SHOCKED!!!

Now he shows my pictures off to all my aunts, uncles and cousins! lol!

IslandGirl
03-13-2008, 04:10 PM
awwww how sweet is that Trace!!! make me want to give you all a :grouphug:

Save that :hug: for when I see you okay!!!

Mercury Girl
03-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Are we sisters? :D ;)

I'll never, never understand what's wrong with women being strong and having muscles. It doesn't make you look like a man - it makes you look like a strong woman. And what's wrong with that? Nothing! :D

Shelly
03-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Are we sisters? :D ;)

I'll never, never understand what's wrong with women being strong and having muscles. It doesn't make you look like a man - it makes you look like a strong woman. And what's wrong with that? Nothing! :D

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Siouxcountry
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Howdy, Jen! :howdy:

You'll love it here. ;)

JenFerFigure
03-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Sioux! It's my pleasure! ;)

dallas3
03-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey ladies, the negative feedback you get is from people who wish they could make the changes in their lives that you all have. Keep doing what you're doing and be happy and healthy.

Shelly
03-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks D you are right!!

F the Haterssss!! ;)

dallas3
03-14-2008, 01:40 AM
Thanks D you are right!!

F the Haterssss!! ;)

This is for the haters out there :nutsk:

Shelly
03-14-2008, 01:47 AM
This is for the haters out there :nutsk:

and this

:STFU:

ibarramedia
03-14-2008, 03:55 AM
Yes, I was surprised!

At first, when I knew my plans to compete in Vegas. My husband called my dad and told him about me competing in Vegas and that we would love it if he would come to watch me (he visits Vegas all the time!). I told Cameron before he called, I know what my dad is going to say. No.

Well....his answer was close. Maybe....I'll try, but I'm not sure if I can swing it.

THEN a couple months later...he called and said he was coming. I was SHOCKED!!!

Now he shows my pictures off to all my aunts, uncles and cousins! lol!

I'm glad that your father has come around and finally validated what you were doing. If there was some kind of apprehension or perhaps a rift, it has healed. I'm happy for you Tracy.

Alli
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
We all know that we come to the boards to seek support, and gain knowledge of a sport that we all love and take very seriously.

But how do you deal with the other side of it? ignorant people who just seem to NOT GET IT!

well obviously she was trying to hit a nerve with me, and I told her to GET A LIFE!!! But how do you all handle such feedback? Have you experienced it?? I am far from HUGE...but i STILL face this from time to time! More importantly I work hard for my muscle gains and am very proud of them! And for the record I don't take anything, its just not for me... i am Natural...

but it still nonetheless pissed me off and kind of set a nagative tone to my day.

Learn to take a deep breath and let is slide. First of all neither of you look like you use steroids (good lord) or look like men. In fact in terms of figure and muscle you're on the lighter side. I'd rest confident knowing this person is jealous, or simply too insecure with herself to be comfortable in the presence of other beautiful women. I feel bad for people like that.

More importantly- what does that stupid comment say about women who are more muscular, who are perhaps not as feminine as you ladies, and who perhaps do use? (cause let's face it, the NPC is not a tested organizaton)?? I mean I hate to hear what they'd say about me....lol my arms stay veiny even in my off season, I need to get size L shirts so the sleeves fit, I carry a Coleman cooler and gallon of water everywhere...and to boot I have short hair. I'm sure I'd be dubbed "a man" by this girl on sight:) HAHA.

But why should you care? Why should any of us care?? No matter what you do in life you will garner haters, or people who bitch and make fun of you. If you do something well, if you stand out at all, you garner attention both positive and negative. I think it's important at those times to remember why you do what you do, and to remember that you do it for yourself and yourself only- and the opinions of someone with far less inner strength and confidence then you- DOES NOT MATTER. I lift because I love it. I hopeto get bigger still:) I cut my hair because long hair is a pain in my ass and I like the look of short. I wear sweats nearly everywhere because- I don't have a need to dress up- my cooler is my best friend, and a girl's gotta have her
H20!!!:)

Take those kinds of comments and let them go out of your head as quickly as they went in. :respect:I mean consider the source. It' obvious this person is just insecure with themselves.....don't let her insecurity play itself out on you and ruin your day...let her insecurity be hers....and keep being the confident, beautiful women that you two are!

jenscats5
03-15-2008, 12:12 AM
My parents are deceased and part of the reason I decided to try & be healthy is that medical problems and smoking caused their death before they were even 70! They'd be 78 now....

But if they were alive - I doubt they'd understand what I do or even why I exercise. Their generation ate cuz it was there, it was time to eat and success equaled having food on the table & a lot of it & eating a lot of it. They just cannot rationalize not eating in abundance. Plus, with the older people, a lot of the time they feel being chubby means you are well off & successful as, when they were growing up (say, during the Depression or during WW2) they had hardly anything. So it's foreign to them to ration food & they can't wrap their head around it. My ex's grandparents immigrated from Italy and they thought this way too. I work with a woman who's 62 and can't stop believing certain myths about food cuz of how she was brought up.

So while everyone wants their parents to praise them verbally, I would say give them a bit of a break for some comments since they probably just don't "get" a lot of what we do depending on how old they are.

jenscats5
03-15-2008, 12:15 AM
Learn to take a deep breath and let is slide. First of all neither of you look like you use steroids (good lord) or look like men. In fact in terms of figure and muscle you're on the lighter side. I'd rest confident knowing this person is jealous, or simply too insecure with herself to be comfortable in the presence of other beautiful women. I feel bad for people like that.

More importantly- what does that stupid comment say about women who are more muscular, who are perhaps not as feminine as you ladies, and who perhaps do use? (cause let's face it, the NPC is not a tested organizaton)?? I mean I hate to hear what they'd say about me....lol my arms stay veiny even in my off season, I need to get size L shirts so the sleeves fit, I carry a Coleman cooler and gallon of water everywhere...and to boot I have short hair. I'm sure I'd be dubbed "a man" by this girl on sight:) HAHA.

But why should you care? Why should any of us care?? No matter what you do in life you will garner haters, or people who bitch and make fun of you. If you do something well, if you stand out at all, you garner attention both positive and negative. I think it's important at those times to remember why you do what you do, and to remember that you do it for yourself and yourself only- and the opinions of someone with far less inner strength and confidence then you- DOES NOT MATTER. I lift because I love it. I hopeto get bigger still:) I cut my hair because long hair is a pain in my ass and I like the look of short. I wear sweats nearly everywhere because- I don't have a need to dress up- my cooler is my best friend, and a girl's gotta have her

Take those kinds of comments and let them go out of your head as quickly as they went in. :respect:I mean consider the source. It' obvious this person is just insecure with themselves.....don't let her insecurity play itself out on you and ruin your day...let her insecurity be hers....and keep being the confident, beautiful women that you two are!

Good post Alli!! I agree with you 100%!!

LOVE my sweats too.....and my H2O....

Shelly
03-15-2008, 12:18 AM
very true girlis... i think i was just having a moment but im over it thanks to you all :)

oh and i never leave home without my gallon jug. period.

SBT
03-15-2008, 12:23 AM

Very NICELY put!!!!

Agreed 110%

Ondrea
03-15-2008, 03:21 AM
I love you Alli! I am so proud to call you a friend and so glad to have met you!

Hannibal
03-15-2008, 03:54 AM

Very well said Alli...I doubt if I can add anything to that, since it is dead on the money. However I did post something on another board that I frequent, about another topic, that definitely applies here.....

Why would I want to conform to the "normal" and fit in? Usually normal people have no passion whatsoever in their life and nothing that really drives them. They just try to hide out with all the other sheep...and if they see something different or that they dont understand they question and ridicule it to justify their own mediocrity. MUCH BETTER in my opinion to be IN the Freak Show than in the audience.

Ladies, seriously....if you don't have passion in your life then it's wasted. People that can't dedicate themselves to something long enough to achieve a goal have to come up with excuses why YOU have succeed where they have failed. In their closed minded way of thinking it CANNOT be hard work and dedication....because that would mean they are lazy. For them to justify it...if has to be that you cheated in some way....or that they would never want to be like you to begin with (which in general is a lie they tell themselves so they can sleep at night).

Bottom line is...NORMAL PEOPLE ARE BORING!!! (and they know it)

Mercury Girl
03-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Very well said Alli...I doubt if I can add anything to that, since it is dead on the money. However I did post something on another board that I frequent, about another topic, that definitely applies here.....

Why would I want to conform to the "normal" and fit in? Usually normal people have no passion whatsoever in their life and nothing that really drives them. They just try to hide out with all the other sheep...and if they see something different or that they dont understand they question and ridicule it to justify their own mediocrity. MUCH BETTER in my opinion to be IN the Freak Show than in the audience.

Ladies, seriously....if you don't have passion in your life then it's wasted. People that can't dedicate themselves to something long enough to achieve a goal have to come up with excuses why YOU have succeed where they have failed. In their closed minded way of thinking it CANNOT be hard work and dedication....because that would mean they are lazy. For them to justify it...if has to be that you cheated in some way....or that they would never want to be like you to begin with (which in general is a lie they tell themselves so they can sleep at night).

Great post! :awesome:

Shelly
03-15-2008, 05:01 PM

:respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

ISABELLE TURELL
03-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Awesome post Alli and Hannibal. You guys couldn't have said it any better.:bowdown:

npcfiguretwins you girls are the BOMB:respect:.

There are a lot of immature people out there who have nothing else better to do but talk trash and try to hit that nerve. If you ask me some of these people need a good can of whoop ass:boxer:. LOL

You two rock:D

Alli
03-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I love you Alli! I am so proud to call you a friend and so glad to have met you!

aw thanks girl!!!!! and DITTO!!!!!!!!:awesome:

Hannibal
03-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Great post! :awesome:

Thank you....

:respect::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Just really bothers me when people have to put up with narrowmindedness

Awesome post Alli and Hannibal. You guys couldn't have said it any better.:bowdown:

I appreciate it.

Shelly
03-15-2008, 11:06 PM

There are a lot of immature people out there who have nothing else better to do but talk trash and try to hit that nerve. If you ask me some of these people need a good can of whoop ass:boxer:. LOL

thanks IS!! no.... YOU ROCK!:respect::p:bowdown::D

ISABELLE TURELL
03-15-2008, 11:12 PM
:frog::frog::frog:

your welcome :)

MsGuns
03-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I just wanna say 2 them sumtimes you are just jealous you dont look this good...

A student at my OLD school said I had too much muscle and I told him he was just mad because he didnt have any muscles @ all...Those students were the worst when it came to bodybuilding...everyday I was attacked verbally about how I looked...

Funny thing my coworker went off on them and told them to stop googling my name because I didnt show off my muscles...They went lookin for my pics and then going to complain about them...what kind of sense does that make.

Hannibal
03-16-2008, 03:19 AM
"It is not the critic that counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or the doer of deeds could have them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the Arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but he who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls, who know neither victory nor defeat." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Hakan
03-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Belle is so right:awesome:

BTW if you look at this LINK (http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=43) and take a good look at the photos... if they looks like men - well then I will turn to my own sex from now on... and Im done with women:banghead::nuts:

JenFerFigure
03-17-2008, 12:39 AM
he who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great devotion; who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails while daring greatly, knows that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls, who know neither victory nor defeat." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Wonderful quote - ME LIKE!!!

jenscats5
03-17-2008, 12:45 AM

Now that's just a darned good post right there!! Bravo!

Hannibal
03-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Wonderful quote - ME LIKE!!!

Yep...definitely one of my favorites. :D

Now that's just a darned good post right there!! Bravo!

Thanks...I try ;)

SBT
03-17-2008, 01:08 AM

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-047.gif

Hannibal
03-17-2008, 03:45 AM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-047.gif

WOW!! A thumbs up just for me??! I think I am blushing. :kiss:

dallas3
03-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Hannibal and Alli did nail it with their comments, just to add one more thing, everyone on here can be satisfied with the fact they took the chance to be who they truely wanted to be and live their lives the way they wanted to while the haters can only sit back and play the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" game. Even if you're religious or not even Jesus had haters and doubters, and he was perfect. It comes with the territory and those who ignore or use them as motivation to further their progress, all the best to you:awesome: