PDA

View Full Version : Awesome job, Insideout, Xena, Frannyfran, Sunlovin, & Bunny!

Siouxcountry
03-14-2008, 03:24 AM
All 5 women entered our contest HERE (http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=258).

Winner will be announced hopefully tonight, or tomorrow.

:respect:

Insideout (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=364)

What is it about Figure that makes you so passionate about the sport?

I love setting and working toward short-term goals. Competing in figure gives me a chance to celebrate reaching the goals that I have set throughout the year. Knowing that I am competing helps me to strive to be the best that I can be personally. It is not only the physical challenge that inspires me to compete in figure but also the tremendous work that it takes to keep the focus on achieving my dreams of taking competition to the next level. It gives me a great sense of achievement. I loved competition day, standing next to other women who have also worked hard to get where they are. For me I simply feel respect and I actually feel privileged to be standing with these women and to be a part of such an event. The gathering of hard working, devoted women is inspiring to me.

What are your competitive goals?

My immediate goal is to gain muscle and then to compete at the Natural in October in Colorado. My long-term goal for now is to work hard on my physique and be ready to compete in 2009 at the North Americans.

Who amongst the many women that compete do you highly respect and why?

I respect every woman that competes in this sport because of the dedication and devotion to the sport that it takes to get up on stage the day of show. As far as pros go, I like Gina Aliotti’s physique a lot. Valerie Waugaman does stand out to me, partially because she is a tall girl like me, she has a great physique, is unique in her style and is an amazing athlete. She is supportive and inspiring to women and seems to be a good business person, which I think is very important at the pro level.

How would you go about convincing more women to weight train?

I think that the main thing that I have noticed in talking to women about weight training is that most women are afraid to gain too much muscle. I think that women feel that they can be toned but are unaware of their ability to achieve the body they have always wanted through weight training and dietary changes. There are varying levels of motivation in people and I think that the best way to look at weight training is to help people to understand the pros of weight training for women and helping to them realize that you can still be feminine and weight train. Women have so many images to compare themselves to and weight training is a way to bring one's body into the best shape that it can be for that person. Any level of weight training is beneficial but focus on progression and body shape can change. I think this is important when talking to women about

Have you competed before? If so what was it like the first time on stage?

I have competed once so far and I LOVED it. I was happy just to be there. I felt great on stage, even though I was a little nervous. I was proud to be in control of my physique and to have worked so hard and achieved a physique that I felt was worthy of bringing to the stage. I was worried about being in my late 30's and competing against younger girls but was actually able to place high enough to qualify for Nationals, which was unexpected and awesome! I felt a little bit small in muscularity on stage but that did not discourage me, it actually inspired me to strive for the physique that I have always wanted. I loved standing back stage with the other girls knowing that everyone had worked hard and that we were all in the same position, regardless of physique, bringing the best we could to the stage. Some people find the back stage experience “catty” or “cut throat” but at NPC level I found that for me that the feeling was of support and camaraderie. The experience really helped me to focus on the areas that I need to work on. It also gave me the confidence to help propel me toward my dreams of continuing to progress and take competition to the next level. I am working hard on that now and can't wait to compete this season…and next ;)

Xena (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=306)

I had never heard of "Figure" competition until my good friend SunlovinCO (a.k.a Sarah) competed in a show in November 2007. Years ago I had toyed with the idea of competing in bodybuilding, but I just didn't have the "Omph" or drive to follow the lifestyle. (In other words, I liked my pizza and beer a little too much). ;)

To me Figure is what Bodybuilding used to be except there is an element of, shall I say, "glamour" entwined in it. Working towards Figure competition is striving to be not only incredibly fit, but also presenting a total package of beauty and grace. I have always been a "tomboy" of sorts, so to compete in Figure competitions will be my time of total femininity and glamour while displaying a muscularity and beauty that only can be achieved through discipline and dedication. The lifestyle involved feels natural to me and to be doing this is like a feeling of coming back home again. I feel like I found my nitch and purpose in life.

This year will be my first time competing. I plan to compete in two shows this year to create a "baseline", if you will, as to what I need to work towards in the coming years. I'm 51 years old, so I want to be the very best I can be in not only my age-group, but to be able to stand my own in the other classes. Of course there is always the dream of getting that pro card, but ultimately, I am doing this for myself and hopefully be an inspiration to all women whether they are my age or younger and older.

Gosh, this is a hard question. There are so many to chose from. Because I'm relatively new to the world of Figure competition, I still tend to think back to the day of female bodybuilders like Rachel McLish or Gladys Portuguese. They were part of the cutting edge of women's fitness. I saw pictures of them and just thought "WOW! I want to look like that!!".

For the famous figure competitors, I can't help but admire Monica Brant. She seems down-to-earth despite the fact that she has been a sensational success in such a competitive arena.

One of my recent all-time favorites is Tracy Bodner (a.k.a IslandGirl). Now SHE is not only physically gorgeous, but she is a sweetheart. I respect and admire her not only the beauty she has created for herself, but for the beauty that she exhibits from within. She and her husband, Cameron, have helped mold the lives of many men and women by instilling confidence and pride through the world of bodybuilding, fitness and figure.

What REALLY brought me back to the fitness lifestyle is Tracy and Cameron's protege Sarah Jamieson. I was astonished at her transformation not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. I said to myself, "I want THAT!!!" Sarah showed me how to commit to something. And believe me, commitment as a whole has been very hard for me through the years. She has shown me in real-life what commitment can do; what a healthy lifestyle can do for one's inner and outer being, and how living this lifestyle makes one stronger in so many ways.

To me the best way is to lead by example. Not everyone wants to enter into the strict lifestyle of a bodybuilder, fitness or figure competitor. But to integrate snippets of this lifestyle into an ordinary everyday lifestyle can bring a wealth of benefit for the years to come. There is nothing more satisfying to me than to see someone thrilled with losing a little weight or building strength they never had. I can see why being a personal trainer has to be one of the most satisfying professions out there.

I'm hoping by competing this year, I can influence other ladies to follow suit, or at the very least, change their lives to be healthier and more physically active. If I can influence at least one lady like Sarah and Tracy have influenced me, I will feel genuine success.

Unfortunately, I have yet to compete. But I do know the joy and tears I felt when I saw Sarah on stage this past November. Gosh! It felt like my own little sister or daughter that I never had had blossomed into a woman of incredible grace and beauty. I will never forget that moment. It truly was like the sun beaming out from the clouds lighting up my soul.

I just hope I can do that for someone this July. :)

Frannyfran (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=366)

I think what drew me to figure was the fact that I realized at a very young age I was never going to be rail thin like Kate Moss but it wasn't until I was older that I realized, "why the hell would I want to look like a stick anyways...?" When I was 20 yrs old I found my "holy grail".....Oxygen....ahhhhh:bowdown: I never wanted to look like the women in Shape magazine who were considered "muscular". In Oxygen, I found a realistic goal. Jenn Hendershott was on the cover and while I had finally found a muse I guess you could say there a was STILL another problem..........I'm wasn't a gymnist, :pout: then I saw Elaine Goodlad (good issue huh) another "ahhhh" moment. To me she will always be my all-time favorite competitor. She embodies the sport of figure and to me is the epitome of what muscular yet feminine is.

What are your competitive goals??

Short-term I'd say is to bring a noticable different package to the stage then I ever had. I would like to look at my previous pics from last season or maybe even a couple of years ago and be blown away!!!
Long-termI wanna go all the way, I mean who doesn't? I want to be able to stand next to the best bcz I've earned it, bcz I've worked hard for it and bcz I deserve to be there!!!!

Mothers flat out. I loose track of my life when I am prepping for a contest only to emerge from my cocoon 12-16 wks later and realize that life was happening all around me. I don't know how they do it. Being a mom is exhausting to begin with never mind having a household and children to take care of. Don't get me wrong I respect anyone that says, "Hey you know what I wanna do or try this" and then DOES it, but mom's just blow me away.

Puuuuuuuhleez get that stupid notion out of your head that if you pick up a dumbbell you are going to get bulky, but honestly I'd take BULKY over FAT anyday. I'd tell them what have you got to loose? I feel better about myself after I've trained hard. I like the changes my body has made since I've been weight training. I'd tell them to try it for 2 weeks and see how they feel.

Surreal, both times. I couldn't believe I had done it. I wish time could have gone by a little slower so I could have savored the moment a little longer. It was the culmination of what I had been working so hard for, for weeks!!! All the sweat, tears and hunger had all been worth it. I had never felt so satisfied and accomplished before in my ENTIRE LIFE!

SunlovinCO (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=43)

I am so passionate about this sport because I want a healthy lifestyle. I went through a few years of being frumpy fat girl and I felt horrible about myself. After that I tried a few diets and did a little yo-yoing with my weight. At one point I fell in love with "Muscle and Fitness HERS" and really got motivated about going to the gym.

I met a guy a work who and previously competed in MBB and brought in a picture of himself with his posing trunks and his number pinned on... THAT WAS IT... I wanted a picture of me in a suit with a number (And an awesome body of course) although I had no idea how to do it. Eventually I met people who knew people and next thing I knew, I was on stage.

I have never~EVER~felt so good about myself. It was the best feeling in the world. I was so proud of myself and felt so healthy. I cannot go back, this is my passion...

This year I hope to bring a more athletic look to the stage. I am competing twice this year, both are National Qualifiers, so of course my hopes and dreams are to make top 5 or maybe top 3 and move to the next level.

Christine Pomponio-Pate... I was drawn to her immediately. She has the perfect balance of muscularity and beauty. Watching her definitely motivated me at many times and still when I have times of doubt I can just think of her and get right back on track. I was so happy for her this year as she became a mother.

Without a doubt the best way to motivate others is to lead by example. People can talk, wish, and want all day long but when they watch you transform and take shape then really that says it all. Last year when I started prepping for the first time I had quite a few friends who said they wanted to get in shape etc. Halfway through my prep most of these folks were in the gym or at least watching what they were eating. It felt so good to know that they were taking better care of themselves because of me. To know that I motivated them was the best feeling!

Unreal... Unbelievable... Overwhelming.... Orgasmic...
I was so excited that day... every time I walked by a mirror I would stop and stare at myself. I really couldn't believe how much I had changed. When I finally stepped on stage you could not remove the smile from my face. I was so proud and happy. No one can truly prepare you for that moment. You have to live it!

*Bunny* (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=40)

I have always admired a beautiful physique for as long as I could remember. I was constantly living in the shadow of what others found attractive, as most of my girlfriends growing up were gorgeous, and thin. For so long that is what I thought I wanted. What I wanted was to be happy and comfortable in my own skin. I realized, why waste time trying to change others, I just need to change my attitude towards how I handle both people and situations. Figure helps remind me that I am in control of what I can achieve with my physique. My mind will define what I can achieve, not the size 4 I will never fit in. When you are stripped of your external beauty, and left only with the inner being to get you from day to day, it can help you value and appreciate more of power you do have on transforming your physique to represent how you Feel on the inside. That is what I have done, and figure, on that stage, I don’t need a trophy to prove I am a winner. It’s nice to receive a reward but after all is said and done, the passion to give my best effort and show what can be achieved is all I need to realize, THIS is where I should be in my life right now, at this very moment.

I am not sure I have ever met anyone that likes to lose. A little competition is good for the soul, as long as you know who and what you’re competing against. I played sports all of life up until I graduated high school and said, I am done. I didn’t want to have my life revolve around year round sports anymore, I could not tell you how upset several people around me were. I felt like a weight was lifted off me, although I still have dreams of making it to the final game, and never being able to play. Funny how that works. I do not like to compete with other people anymore. I use other peoples success stories or achievements simply as motivation and inspiration, not to outdo anyone. I made a pact with myself to realize the only person I ever need to compete with is Amanda and only Amanda. I am always looking to do better than previous goals and set points I have created for myself. I was just having this conversation the other day about going back to MI do compete at the same venue as my 1st show last year where I placed third. I said, “I can place fifth and is wouldn’t matter, simply knowing I have improved so much over the last year would be good enough for me.”

I will generally say that it takes a certain type of woman to compete, be it figure, fitness or bodybuilding. I admire and respect all of the hard work that goes into making this some what of an art, and definitely those that stand out from the crowd. I simply love the leanness and agility of the fitness girls. Sylvia Tremblay is one of the most creative women I have ever met, from her designing my suit to the fitness routines she has put together. I would LOVE to be able to say I threw together a fitness routine one day and nailed it. Now getting me on a stage to do it, well that’s another story. J The bodybuilders get to express their creativity with some of the most incredible routines and the music choices I have ever seen. I have not met many women on this side of the BB world, but I will say that Sassy is my mentor, and my level of respect for her soars. I will tell you when I saw the picture of Davana Medina at the Figure O, I said to myself, “wow, that is beauty in my eyes.” Throw out all the notions I had growing up about trying to fit in skinny jeans, I want muscles, sexy muscles. Last but not least, Valerie Waugaman (http://www.musculardevelopment.com/browse/index.php?mode=browse&eventcode=1006&id=8896). Not only does she stand out when she is one stage she does not conform. I read about this woman and sometimes feel as if I am reading about what I want to achieve in life. I am about empowerment, I am about wellness, I am about inspiring people to follow their dreams and nail their goals with the power of a strong mind, body and spirit. I have read articles that could have said the exact same thing about her. And while I do not like to compare, for those of you that do not know me yet, that is the type of impact Id like to make on the world, more than just the figure arena.

Ah weight training. I’m sure we could all list off the reasons weight training is healthy for our bodies. Some basic things were can increase by putting on some muscle from weight training, (1) fat burning ability (they love that one), (2) boost your metabolism, (3) improve your stability, (4) heart function etc. Do we NOT all know them by now?? Is that what they want to sure? Sure, but I make to tell these women exactly what happened to me. I was able to eat twice as much (who doesn’t like to eat!!!), I was able to cut the cardio in half, and what do you know, the FAT started to fall off. I tell them what they want to hear because it is true. I tell them by adding weight training to your routine you will get results faster, you will feel stronger, and you will feel better. Have improved confidence and you will look fanfricking-tascic with some nice definition. I causally debunk the myth of getting big and bulky b/c some women, it’s just not their thing. I use give them the top three, (1) You are not a man, you do not have the natural test level to get as big as you are thinking you can by lifting those 20 lb dbs. (2) You do not use male hormones… or do ya?? (3) It’s not in your genetic makeup to look like Ms Olympia or the Fitness model without hard work and effort. Your mother is not Wonder Woman and your father is not He Man (mind you, if this was the case you wouldn’t be in this situation feelings like to need to lose ‘weight’). I them show them a before and after picture. This is what weights helped do for me. Then comes the 2 hour long diet lecture, I think lose them there… eek.

I have, or I should say had, an incredible fear of public speaking. I had this fear control me so much that I blew off speech for about 8 years. Yes Eight. This was the only class I needed to get my Degree. I had a life changing experience back in 2007 and finally said I need to conquer this fear. It is time. I figured hey, if I can stage on stage in front of a bunch of strangers, especially to be judged, half nekkid with stripper heels on, then I can take a speech class. I used that exact story as my intro speech in my communications class I just passed with an A (woot woot) last semester. I already felt like I won backstage, and I was just there to show off all my hard work. I learned that from Sassy. I challenged myself, pushed myself to the limit, I said at the 07 Arnold it couldn’t be done, I couldn’t be show ready … well, ladies and gents, NOTHING feels better than proving yourself wrong, giving yourself a swift kick in the ass and exceeding your expectations about what you CAN achieve.

I will tell you, on stage though, I was shaking uncontrollably. It was thrilling exciting and fun, but I wasn’t shaking because I was nervous, it was because I was in the line up throughout the different callouts and my conditioning was NOT up to par. I was blessed to have Shannon do the show with me, SBT, and her roommate help us primp back stage. It is an experience I will never forget and after my 2nd show, I am now able to pursue national level competitions this year should I decide to do so. I’d be honored to have the support I had with Shannon backstage at a higher level show, but I have to do it with the same mindset I had previously. As my good friend once put it, If the stars are aligned you may just go home with a trophy.” My star is shining bright enough either way.

Thank you for letting me share my experiences with you all.

Ondrea
03-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Yes...all are winners to me! It was a very tough decision! I thoroughly enjoyed reading each one! I love, love, love reading about the passion you women have for figure and weight lifting.

IslandGirl
03-14-2008, 05:02 AM
I have to admit this was a very tough decision for me. Each one of you touched my heart in many ways! You are all champions no matter the outcome and best wishes to you all in this 2008 competition season. Muah! :kiss:

SBT
03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
I enjoyed reading ALLLL of the entries, and had to do so many times as well before casting my vote. Like Trace mentioned they were all touching, and it almost seemed something new jumped out everytime! Thanks for each one of you sharing that with us, and I believe you are all winners already anyways also :D

Shelly
03-14-2008, 01:21 PM
girls...

firstly, thank you ALL so much for participating in our first contest on siouxs board.

secondly, you all are WONDERFUl strong powerful woman, and you all ROCK!!

thirdly, you are all ultimate winners, and we respect each of you to the utmost!

good luck!

ripitupbaby
03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree, I thought they were all great. Thanks for participating in the contest ladies! Many more to come, I'm sure!

:awesome:

Siouxcountry
03-14-2008, 05:44 PM
The winner is:

Xena (http://www.siouxcountry.com/member.php?u=306)

Congrats, Xena! :awesome:

PM Meriza your contact address.

I'll contact Meriza on MySpace to let her know who won.