PDA

View Full Version : my turn to vent!!!

Quadrablue
03-16-2008, 09:33 PM
For the past few months me and the bf have been having some issues with the gym we train at. It all stems from the belief of the staff there that we are taking $ away from their personal trainers by helping a handful of people. I have been helping some girls get ready for shows and my bf just helps his friends. He does not charge any of his friends and I only ask for compensation for their diet planning (they know how to train). We do not solicit in any way, shape or form. In fact we have had to tell members that approach us that we are not able to help them because we are not official trainers at the gym. The reason people come to me specifically is because they want to compete and none of the other trainers have any knowledge of pre contest dieting.

Things have gotten progressively worse between us and management. Last month one of the managers interrupted Andy while he was training and told him he needed to see him in his office after his workout. Andy is not one to be treated like a school kid and suggested they talk now. The exchange got so heated that the entire gym was watching and all because they accused him of something that was not true.

Then we were told we could not practice posing in front of the mirrors in a small area in the back because it was disrupting people in the core area. And now today we were told we could not do lunges across the gym because it bothers the memebers. WTF??? They even singled me out by saying I started the trend and now I have too many followers.

Has anyone had any problems like this where you train? If there were another decent gym near my home I would gladly leave but that is not an option at this point.

ibarramedia
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
For the past few months me and the bf have been having some issues with the gym we train at. It all stems from the belief of the staff there that we are taking $ away from their personal trainers by helping a handful of people. I have been helping some girls get ready for shows and my bf just helps his friends. He does not charge any of his friends and I only ask for compensation for their diet planning (they know how to train). We do not solicit in any way, shape or form. In fact we have had to tell members that approach us that we are not able to help them because we are not official trainers at the gym.
You explained yourself very well. It seemed to mewhile I was reading this that there would be some gray areas here. But you made it clear you are not soliciting. Iwould have no problem with this if i was the gym owner. I would however, put the onus on the sales dept. To bring in some leads for the PTs.

The reason people come to me specifically is because they want to compete and none of the other trainers have any knowledge of pre contest dieting.

Things have gotten progressively worse between us and management. Last month one of the managers interrupted Andy while he was training and told him he needed to see him in his office after his workout. Andy is not one to be treated like a school kid and suggested they talk now. The exchange got so heated that the entire gym was watching and all because they accused him of something that was not true.Maybe management should have waited until he was finished before approaching him. I learned before that people react in different ways when told "see me in my office later". They are often impatient or makes them nervous. The anticipation ro wondering like uh oh there might be trouble.

Then we were told we could not practice posing in front of the mirrors in a small area in the back because it was disrupting people in the core area. And now today we were told we could not do lunges across the gym because it bothers the memebers. WTF??? They even singled me out by saying I started the trend and now I have too many followers. Now that is just plain wrong and inapproriate by them. It is a gym and those are gym related activities. They should let you do that. If anything they should be thankful for your presence. You are a provincial champ. that should carry some weight. If I was a boxing champion and i trained at some guys gym, they would be all over me with the publicity and whatnot.

Has anyone had any problems like this where you train? If there were another decent gym near my home I would gladly leave but that is not an option at this point.

Is your house big enough to make a complete home gym to do your training? I really feel for you Quadra. Let me know how it works out...

SBT
03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Yup actually a quite of the few gyms that I have worked/worked out at around here had some very snooty people that would also make comments or do things very similar so I feel your pain :(

Sorry to hear that all that is going on!

dallas3
03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, interesting story, can't blame people for wanting you and your bf's advice as you two know what you're talking about. Results don't lie. My question would be is the gym you work at a local gym or part of a large chain?

Quadrablue
03-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, interesting story, can't blame people for wanting you and your bf's advice as you two know what you're talking about. Results don't lie. My question would be is the gym you work at a local gym or part of a large chain?

Independently owned. It's Platinum Athletic Club in Surrey, B.C.

dallas3
03-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Ok, just curious cause I didn't know if they have gym-wide rules to follow or they set their own but they're still wrong for stopping you from the lunges and posing in the mirror. Down here in FL, used to be at the gym where Arnold winner Dexter Jackson works out and they treat guys like him and other BB's like kings. If the gym was smart they should come to some agreement with you guys and have you on board as staff or independent contractors.

ibarramedia
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM

How long have you been working out there? If you have to try a new gym, how about Nadia's gym?

lil mama
03-16-2008, 10:35 PM

SORRY BUT TO HECK WITH DEM FOOLS QUADRABLUE U PAY UR DUES AND U HAVE THE RIGHT TO POSE AND LUNGE ALL U WANT AND AS FAR AS DEM FOOLS CALLIN U GUYS OUT WELL HOW RUDE...APPRENTLY THEIR OWN PT'S ARE LACKING SKILLS IF OTHER MEMBERS ARE SEEKING HELP FROM U GUYS INSTEAD OF THEIR STAFF WELL 2 BAD SO SAD...IT'S SAD THAT THE OWNER COULDN'T COME TO YOU ALL IN A MORE PROFESSIONAL MANNER...I SAY PLAY IT:cool: AND RISE ABOVE THE MORONS AND DO YO THANG U DO SO WELL :bowdown::kiss:

lil mama
03-16-2008, 10:37 PM

:waving:HI D3 STILL FRESH AND CLEAN LIKE IRISH SPRING?:rolleyes::D

dallas3
03-16-2008, 10:56 PM
:waving:HI D3 STILL FRESH AND CLEAN LIKE IRISH SPRING?:rolleyes::D

LIL MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS ALWAYS, STILL SHAKIN THEM DICE ?:D ;)

Quadrablue
03-16-2008, 11:19 PM
How long have you been working out there? If you have to try a new gym, how about Nadia's gym?

:D

LOL she lives on the Island or I just might!

I'll be seeing her in 7 wks:)

Mercury Girl
03-16-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok, just curious cause I didn't know if they have gym-wide rules to follow or they set their own but they're still wrong for stopping you from the lunges and posing in the mirror. Down here in FL, used to be at the gym where Arnold winner Dexter Jackson works out and they treat guys like him and other BB's like kings. If the gym was smart they should come to some agreement with you guys and have you on board as staff or independent contractors.

I responded to you over at FB Quadra, but this is a good idea. Think you could work something like this out? You'd be bringing in money for the gym, so how could they complain then? What do you think?

Quadrablue
03-16-2008, 11:34 PM
I responded to you over at FB Quadra, but this is a good idea. Think you could work something like this out? You'd be bringing in money for the gym, so how could they complain then? What do you think?

I think it's beyond that now but anything is possible. It just comes at a crappy time. The girls are 7 wks out and I'm training for Nats. Its a nice gym with good equipment. I guess I will have to suck it up for now til something better comes along.

Mercury Girl
03-16-2008, 11:39 PM
I think it's beyond that now but anything is possible. It just comes at a crappy time. The girls are 7 wks out and I'm training for Nats. Its a nice gym with good equipment. I guess I will have to suck it up for now til something better comes along.

That stinks! It's hard to suck it up and concentrate on training with that kind of BS going on in the background. Hang in there, and good luck! :cheerleader:

ibarramedia
03-16-2008, 11:48 PM
:D

LOL she lives on the Island or I just might!

I'll be seeing her in 7 wks:)

Hmmm. i'm going to have to study the geography and terrain where you guys are. ;)
http://www.smilies.smileyville.net/smilies/487.gif

Quadrablue
03-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Hmmm. i'm going to have to study the geography and terrain where you guys are. ;)
http://www.smilies.smileyville.net/smilies/487.gif

Just come visit!!! I'll take you to my gym lol

ibarramedia
03-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Just come visit!!! I'll take you to my gym lol

ok. ;)