PDA

View Full Version : The lat spread - which do you prefer?

Siouxcountry
03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
As a competitor do you stand up on your toes while performing the lat spread, or not?

As a fan which do you prefer a competitor perform?

Lori Steele at the 2007 NPC Jr Nationals...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/coconutsandapples/NEW/lat1.jpg

Galina Serdtsev at the 2007 NPC USA Championships...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/coconutsandapples/NEW/lat2.jpg

jasons805
03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I think alot do a bit of both. Either one is fine with me.

ripitupbaby
03-17-2008, 08:17 PM
I like going up on my toes because I think it shows the hamstrings and calves better from the back (and makes the butt look better :D), and the quads better from the front. I do my lat spreads on my toes from the front and the back.

The majority of women do the lat spread with one leg flared out to the side to better show the hammy and calf....like the pic I have included of Tina Chandler at Nats last year.

I prefer on the toes most, followed by one leg flared out. I don't really think that the pose Galina is doing best shows off everything she's got going on back there. And there's a lot going on! :cool:

It does depend on how comfortable you are on your toes, though. If you can't balance on your toes, then don't risk it because it doesn't look good to stumble around up there lol.

MsGuns
03-17-2008, 09:57 PM
from the back to show the hams and calves w/ the leg back and Ive always done my front lat spread on my toes in honor of Lendy Murray...

Tina and I were posing partners...we had some much fun

I like going up on my toes because I think it shows the hamstrings and calves better from the back (and makes the butt look better :D), and the quads better from the front. I do my lat spreads on my toes from the front and the back.

The majority of women do the lat spread with one leg flared out to the side to better show the hammy and calf....like the pic I have included of Tina Chandler at Nats last year.

I prefer on the toes most, followed by one leg flared out. I don't really think that the pose Galina is doing best shows off everything she's got going on back there. And there's a lot going on! :cool:

It does depend on how comfortable you are on your toes, though. If you can't balance on your toes, then don't risk it because it doesn't look good to stumble around up there lol.

SBT
03-17-2008, 10:02 PM

I agree :D

Might as well show off what you worked so hard for!!

DANISH DYNAMITE
03-18-2008, 12:38 AM
From the back I would do one leg back to really show off the hams and calves. But from the front IŽd do it on my toes. I havent done that in the past though because I didnt think it was allowed in the mandatories.

powergirl
03-18-2008, 01:40 AM
i just wish it was one of the mandatories for the CBBF nationals in Canada (lat pose that is) ~ i don't understand how they are supposed to be following the IFBB Amateur rules but we don't get to do it ~ we don't even do 'quarter turns' anymore. i don't understand how they can judge properly with only one pose from the rear....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :nuts: Are the amateur rules dift than the IFBB/NPC rules?

Siouxcountry
03-18-2008, 01:54 AM
Who's bright idea was it to remove the lat spread from the CBBF? Can you perform the front double biceps pose with closed hands (fists)?

Mightymouse
03-18-2008, 02:30 AM
Who's bright idea was it to remove the lat spread from the CBBF? Can you perform the front double biceps pose with closed hands (fists)?

That front and back lat spreads weren't mandatory poses for us untill recently. I can't remember the exact year they were made mandatory, I bet Steve Wennerstrom would know.

I am right there with Msgun, from the back leg out and from the front on toes, but from the front I do it sometimes toes sometimes leg out.

ibarramedia
03-18-2008, 02:51 AM
You could do it both ways right? First do one on tip toes, then revert to regular standing position. Same thing with the rear lat pose.

ibarramedia
03-18-2008, 02:53 AM

i've seen girls do front biceps pose with closed fists and without. Never seen guys do non closed fisted double biceps pose.

Quadrablue
03-18-2008, 03:20 AM

When I first started competing you had to do it with hands open. Now either way is accepted.

I think we just like being different from everyone else lol

I'm with Zoa on the quarter turns and lat spread. :nuts:

powergirl
03-18-2008, 01:32 PM
i think it leads to misjudging personally, don't you athena? in the past, i had emailed the judges to ask why and was told it was the IFBB Amateur Rulebook...but also I understand their adherence to this is at their discretion (ie it could be altered)

i wish there was more of an opportunity to discuss these changes and make changes in a positive environment...especially if all the judging is done in the morning, there really is no opportunity to show off your entire physique.

as for the poses with the toes, i think that's great for a routine but i personally prefer the one leg out to show off the hammies a little more -- also falling down may be an issue for me :o