PDA

View Full Version : MD drops Steve Wennerstrom's Column

Siouxcountry
12-14-2008, 06:09 PM
I started a thread similar to this 6 weeks ago, but soon after was given the impression it would continue...... LINK
(http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=3850)
Unfortunately it appears to be gone for good.......... LINK (http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?p=149344#post149344)

I don't know if you heard but recently, Steve's monthly section in Muscular Development - Muscle Divas - is being discontinued. That was his primary source of income.- Sherry Smith

Steve's column was one of the few columns on female bodybuilding left in the mags.

He also wrote profiles on many women who compete in fitness and figure as well.

Many women here have had profiles in Muscular Development thanks to Steve.

FemFlex
12-14-2008, 06:16 PM
How many women will cancel their subscriptions to MD?

How many will encourage their husbands/boyfriends to do the same?

How many women will leave the MD forums and no longer support MD's advertisers and sponsors?

Siouxcountry
12-14-2008, 06:24 PM
For those that don't know who Steve Wennerstrom is, he is the IFBB Women's Historian.

NO one knows the sport like Steve Wennerstrom.

Steve was presented a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2007 NPC National Championships by Lisa Aukland.

Quadrablue
12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
I've known this for some time now, but was not a liberty to say anything. It is very sad, but not surprising.

I rarely post at MD anymore. I just don't feel the love for fbbers over there anymore.

ErinFL
12-14-2008, 06:52 PM
How many women will cancel their subscriptions to MD?

How many will encourage their husbands/boyfriends to do the same?

How many women will leave the MD forums and no longer support MD's advertisers and sponsors?

Yes, yes and yes. I never posted over there anyway though, so no one will notice.

Chubs
12-14-2008, 06:58 PM
I talked to Steve on a few occasions in Toronto, yes, he was as nice as you'd imagine.
But as far as show reviews he seemed to be going through the motions. Reporting in a bland, politically correct historian's style, as if he's reading statistics aloud. What state she came from, who else won from that state...

For what he's done for FBB, he should have been able to retire a while ago, it's lousy to hear he's struggling financially.

I would love to see Helle take over that job, but it may be more than writing style behind the axing of his column.

Siouxcountry
12-14-2008, 07:08 PM
I talked to Steve on a few occasions in Toronto, yes, he was as nice as you'd imagine.
But as far as show reviews he seemed to be going through the motions. Reporting in a bland, politically correct historian's style, as if he's reading statistics aloud. What state she came from, who else won from that state...

For what he's done for FBB, he should have been able to retire a while ago, it's lousy to hear he's struggling financially.

I would love to see Helle take over that job, but it may be more than writing style behind the axing of his column.

His show reviews were online. He does an excellent job under the circumstances.

Have you not read his column in MD? The ones I have read our profiles (along with pics) of various women in the sport.

Quadrablue
12-14-2008, 07:12 PM

It had nothing to do with his writing style as far as I know.

Chubs
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
I've only read his show reviews at MD online.
What circumstances?

Siouxcountry
12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
What circumstances?

Time.

Musclepapa John
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
On the flip side of this MD criticism what publication can be pointed to as taking a leadership role in championing female bodybuilding? Surely there are others or was MD the last bastion? Maybe invite Steve to provide his coverage here.

Siouxcountry
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
On the flip side of this MD criticism what publication can be pointed to as taking a leadership role in championing female bodybuilding?

I honestly don't know of any others.

Maybe invite Steve to provide his coverage here.

Steve is welcome to post whatever he wishes here. He is a member and highly respected.

Chubs
12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Stellar idea John, but not a paying gig, right?

As for a print magazine for FBB info? I won't miss it because I follow the biz online.
What percentage of folks get their FBB news and pics from print magazines anyway?
Is it a viable business proposition for anyone to start one up? I'm sure Steve Wennerstrom could give some insight there.

Lisa
12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
This is a damn shame:(

Mercury Girl
12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I figured this was the case when I got the new MD and Steve was asbent from the mag. At that time, I decided not to buy another MD. I can't support a publication that doesn't support the women in this sport.

No one will miss me from the MD boards, either. I actually think they can't stand me, but don't say so because of the rule on the MD forums that women are to be respected. :LOLOL:

Allen
12-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear about Steve getting the axe at MD. WPW was my first real introduction to FBB, way back in the 80s, and I enjoyed the coverage that Steve provided. Too bad that he was apparently compelled to write boilerplate for MD. I wish him well.

Musclepapa John
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I can't support a publication that doesn't support the women in this sport.
That rather cuts out the magazine subscriptions from your budget if Sioux's assessment of the state of FBB in the mags is spot on.

Mercury Girl
12-15-2008, 01:14 AM
That rather cuts out the magazine subscriptions from your budget if Sioux's assessment of the state of FBB in the mags is spot on.

I know.... :(

Ann Caliri
12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm not up on MD or what they are doing, but have they made a statement on why they dropped his column? Is it a result of the switch from print to online publicity for FBB?

Siouxcountry
12-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm not up on MD or what they are doing, but have they made a statement on why they dropped his column? Is it a result of the switch from print to online publicity for FBB?

No official statement that I am aware of.

A few months back Dave and John mentioned on No Bull Radio................... CLICK HERE
(http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=3476)

Musclepapa John
12-15-2008, 02:09 AM

I think you make an interesting point in that this isn't MD and regardless of what they do or any other print publication this site has the potential to produce more information specific to Female bodybuilding and fitness, figure, and bikini athletics directly from you ladies keyboards as compared to any other single source (print or otherwise). And at a time when advertising dollars is dropping at most pubs ad dollars are increasing dramatically here.:)
SiouxCountry.com is rapidly becoming the 800# female gorilla:D

Siouxcountry
12-18-2008, 07:18 PM
A thread to help out Steve (similar to the one we have HERE (http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=4761)) was posted at MD yesterday. Thread has been deleted.

AirHarp
12-18-2008, 07:41 PM
A thread to help out Steve (similar to the one we have HERE (http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=4761)) was posted at MD yesterday. Thread has been deleted.

Does that site have ANYredeeming qualities?

Musclepapa John
12-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Does that site have ANYredeeming qualities?
Yes.
Large audience with many of same members as SiouxCountry.com. While some of these members are more active here others of them are more active there.

KP DIVA
12-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes.
Large audience with many of same members as SiouxCountry.com. While some of these members are more active here others of them are more active there.

Yep...I post on MD from time to time. Just certain sections I don't visit.

MsGuns
12-18-2008, 10:42 PM

WoW that was shady!!

dennisb5
12-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Ohhhh :( :(

I am completely stunned and very very much saddened about this whole situation (I just read the other locked thread).

I really really hope all can resolve itself well for Steve.

Dennis (a bit bummed now).

Lisa
12-19-2008, 11:01 PM
I also post at MD, but did you all possibly consider that Steve himself may have asked for the thread to be deleted? Maybe he does not want his personal business out here like it is???....Just a thought.....

PRGIRL
12-20-2008, 02:59 AM
WoW that was shady!!

I believe the validity of the post was in question.

PRGIRL
12-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I had the awesome experience of sitting next to Steve in the press pit during Olympia pre-judging this year. He's an awesome guy. His column got the ax because according to the readers poll the wbb column was the least favored.

John and Dave did there best to fight for it and keep it in MD but the Boss had the final say.

I'm sure we'll definitely see more of Steve in the future however. He's too valuable in this industry.

Mercury Girl
12-20-2008, 04:09 AM
I had the awesome experience of sitting next to Steve in the press pit during Olympia pre-judging this year. He's an awesome guy. His column got the ax because according to the readers poll the wbb column was the least favored.

John and Dave did there best to fight for it and keep it in MD but the Boss had the final say.

I'm sure we'll definitely see more of Steve in the future however. He's too valuable in this industry.

It's just a huge bummer how this all turned out. I really do like MD, and I was looking to them to set the standard on having FBBs in their magazine. But, I guess it is what it is...

MsGuns
12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I believe the validity of the post was in question.

i wasnt talkin about the post being shady...i was talkin about MD deletin the thread.

FemFlex
12-20-2008, 06:34 PM
It pre-dates SiouxCountry, but how many of y'all remember when a bunch of women and fans got all excited because MD was supposedly going become the industry leader in featuring and promoting physiquewomen?

This was just a couple of years ago. Some 'commitment'. :rolleyes:

I hate to say I told ya so, but this new development comes as no surprise at all to those of us who've been watching this yo-yo game for a long time.

PRGIRL
12-20-2008, 06:44 PM
i wasnt talkin about the post being shady...i was talkin about MD deletin the thread.

I'm aware. I'm sure they were respecting Steve's privacy

Siouxcountry
12-20-2008, 06:53 PM
It pre-dates SiouxCountry, but how many of y'all remember when a bunch of women and fans got all excited because MD was supposedly going become the industry leader in featuring and promoting physiquewomen?

I hate to say I told ya so, but this new development comes as no surprise at all to those of us who've been watching this yo-yo game for a long time.

I was one of the believers. I was wrong.

KP DIVA
12-20-2008, 06:57 PM

What would you say is the problem? I became familiar w/ MD b/c the posted pics of the big shows the fastest....I don't understand why they would want to cut it out. W/ all the men following...you'd think they'd want atleast a little eye candy if for nothing else....and plus w/ more women coverage, more women would buy the magazine. Isn't that basic Marketing 101.

FemFlex
12-20-2008, 09:02 PM
What would you say is the problem? I became familiar w/ MD b/c the posted pics of the big shows the fastest....I don't understand why they would want to cut it out. W/ all the men following...you'd think they'd want atleast a little eye candy if for nothing else....and plus w/ more women coverage, more women would buy the magazine. Isn't that basic Marketing 101.

What you're saying makes perfect sense to the reasonable reader, Kenyatta, but unfortunately, reasonable people are not always in decision-making positions in large media...and almost never in the muscle media.

The predominant media in the muscle game is and always has been about its fanboys. This has been true, even though it's women who have made the amateur events profitable for promoters.

But you see, the industry wasn't built to keep promoters in business. The (competitive physique) industry was built to sell supplements. And before the advent of Hydroxycut and similar products, the amount of supplements bought by women barely put a blip on the sales radar.

Back then, there was very little overlap between the companies of and the products being sold by the diet (weight loss) industry and the products sold by the supplement industry.

Now, women have more buying power than ever, but are not using that to leverage any sort of influence within their industry's print media.

KP DIVA
12-20-2008, 09:23 PM
What you're saying makes perfect sense to the reasonable reader, Kenyatta, but unfortunately, reasonable people are not always in decision-making positions in large media...and almost never in the muscle media.

The predominant media in the muscle game is and always has been about its fanboys. This has been true, even though it's women who have made the amateur events profitable for promoters.

But you see, the industry wasn't built to keep promoters in business. The (competitive physique) industry was built to sell supplements. And before the advent of Hydroxycut and similar products, the amount of supplements bought by women barely put a blip on the sales radar.

Back then, there was very little overlap between the companies of and the products being sold by the diet (weight loss) industry and the products sold by the supplement industry.

Now, women have more buying power than ever, but are not using that to leverage any sort of influence within their industry's print media.

That's true...I'm sure a supp company can't survive off of us women just purchasing fat burners!!!

But seriously....our systems just can't use all those supps....Cell Mass and all that other crap...I'd be 300 pounds... it's loaded w/ too many cals, carbs, fats for the average female....let alone those of us who compete....even in the offseason I couldn't use the supps.

MD is one of the thickest mags out there...i don't see how 2 pages could really make that much of difference...I know just more money from an advertisement...but I really wonder if it will make a difference when there new subs from women stop coming in. Another thing, that Valentino piece is stragiht garbage, they should take that out!!

Siouxcountry
12-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Another thing, that Valentino piece is stragiht garbage, they should take that out!!

Truth!

Not only is it garbage, but anyone can see Gregg makes up a ton of shit.

hansk01
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Does anyone have any more info on this? Is the column definitely being axed? Is Steve staying with MD to write online?

Hans

MsGuns
12-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Does anyone have any more info on this? Is the column definitely being axed? Is Steve staying with MD to write online?

Hans

To my knowledge the column is gone...

Lynx
12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
So sad. :( I was really excited about that section.