PDA

View Full Version : fabrics for suits

urstrulyhb
12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
what fabrics do yall usually order for your suits? ... who do you order from?

Blondell
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
velvet and I'm using Jodie at www.fitweardesigns.com

BigA
01-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Metallic. From Sylvia Tremblay.
A.

Sportsgirl
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Metallic. From Sylvia Tremblay.
A.

I like metallic but my last suit is ruined. Do yours get damaged when you wash them? I put mine in water and gently squeezed the bikini and it ruined it :(

BigA
01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I like metallic but my last suit is ruined. Do yours get damaged when you wash them? I put mine in water and gently squeezed the bikini and it ruined it :(

I had that happen before to another suit as the water was too hot.
I do use dish soap diluted in lukewarm water in a basin. Soak about 20 mins or less. Swish around, and rinse in cool water. Then wrap in a towel, lay flat to dry in a low traffic area. Or sometimes I drape over a plastic hanger, and put in the spare room to dry.

I squeezed to get the water out but used the towel to get more water out.

A.

Shortie
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Is it okay to use something like woolite?

KP DIVA
01-02-2009, 04:34 PM
All of my suits have been velvet and were very comfy.

My newest suit is a hologram material....haven't tried it on yet.

BigA
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Is it okay to use something like woolite?

I am sure that woolite would be the recommended product by suit designers, but I have found that when you use dream tan, it [the woolite] is not strong tough enough to break the product down (the dream tan). This is just from my experience.

But yes, woolite is good.

A.

Shortie
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
I am sure that woolite would be the recommended product by suit designers, but I have found that when you use dream tan, it [the woolite] is not strong tough enough to break the product down (the dream tan). This is just from my experience.

But yes, woolite is good.

A.

Okay, I did use dream tan so I will try your suggestion. Thank you. :)

cslim
01-02-2009, 05:00 PM
My suits from 2008 were velvet and very flattering and comfy. I haven't tried any other materials yet. I need a new 2 piece for the shows this year so I'll be checking out materials etc. I've had all my suits done by Nu-Parr, which is here in Phoenix.
I've not had a problem using a bit of handsoap and soaking them in the sink and rubbing off the tough bikini bite/tanner spots with my hands on my velvet suits.

TameMe
01-02-2009, 07:06 PM
This is the list of fabric in order of the ones I think work best:

1. Velvet: very soft and rich looking, works best when there are a ton of stones.

2. Lycra: good for those that don't like velvet but want a fabric that doesn't take away from all the stones. I love the amount of colors to choose on this fabric.

3. Satin or shinny lycra: this fabric will shine ALOT under the lights so sometimes the stones get lost on this fabric.

4. Hologram: I like how stiff the fabric is, seems to hold us in the suits really nicely. Can't do alot of stones on this fabric because the fabric really sparkles. It's a good fabric when cost is an issue since you won't need much in stones since the fabric is busy enough.

5. Metallic's: They lose their shine when washed. 3 washings and that fabric is toast no matter how you wash it. I do not like using this kind of fabric.

Wollite is great to use on your suit with room temperature water.

Tamee

JLB001
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Also be sure to lay your suits flat to dry.

Myself I like velvets for my own suits.

Amity
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM

I love the look of metallic, but just like yours, mine got damaged after the first wash.

Shelly
01-04-2009, 01:50 PM
merry christine and mine are velvet i think thats the only material i will ever wear!

Amity
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
This is the list of fabric in order of the ones I think work best:

1. Velvet: very soft and rich looking, works best when there are a ton of stones.

2. Lycra: good for those that don't like velvet but want a fabric that doesn't take away from all the stones. I love the amount of colors to choose on this fabric.

3. Satin or shinny lycra: this fabric will shine ALOT under the lights so sometimes the stones get lost on this fabric.

4. Hologram: I like how stiff the fabric is, seems to hold us in the suits really nicely. Can't do alot of stones on this fabric because the fabric really sparkles. It's a good fabric when cost is an issue since you won't need much in stones since the fabric is busy enough.

5. Metallic's: They lose their shine when washed. 3 washings and that fabric is toast no matter how you wash it. I do not like using this kind of fabric.

Wollite is great to use on your suit with room temperature water.

Tamee

Thanks for the list.
Woolite is a great product for gentle washes, but it has softeners which can stretch fabrics of this nature. An organic soap such as Dreft is the best yeah, the baby laundry detergent.- I was given this advise by a high end bra designer when I bought my very expensive bras and I swear they lasted 6 years looking as good as new. I could still have kept them, but I wanted something new. Best laundry advise I've ever gotten, money saving advise too!

Ali
01-04-2009, 02:06 PM
I have only used velvet so far, and I will not change. I have helped girls at shows with the lighter materials, and their suits tend to roll, and not lie as nicely across the bum. They take more glue, etc.

I have used Passionfruit in the past, and loved them.

I think I am using a different designer this year, though because I don't think I can get a blank suit from her, anymore!

Making_A_Change
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
I chose velvet for my suit. I thought it would be a little more substantial and would withstand a few mistakes with tanning and cleaning. I considered going with hologram but, I going with velvet for my next suit and sticking with Lidia Conti. She has suits that are 'affordable'--it's still hard to wrap my mind around spending $250 for a two piece. :)

Sportsgirl
01-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I love the look of metallic, but just like yours, mine got damaged after the first wash.

Mine was actually starting to get damaged from wearing it. The colour was starting to come off already, then when I tried to wash it all the colour pretty much came off. I just wonder if the material was poor quality or if all the metallics are like that.

MoMo88
01-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I too like velvet! Very comfy.....I used Vandella designs.....

pitmommy
01-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I was not to sure about velvet, maybe give it a try. Is there a no no regarding who should wear velvet ( i find it odd being a winter fabric its made into a two piece bikini suit , ) ?? Also how about some advice on suit color with hair ? My hair is naturally light brown, but i hate the standard colors bb.com has picked for this color.

NYCStrongFox
01-05-2009, 01:53 AM
Velvet and I worked last with Caroline from ccfitwear.com. She's great too with sending you many swatches in the colors you request :D

pitmommy
01-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Velvet and I worked last with Caroline from ccfitwear.com. She's great too with sending you many swatches in the colors you request :D

Thank you, i will check them out. By the way Love that Avi, lookin Sexy :)

raaach521
01-18-2009, 03:15 AM
I like velvet, but this year I'm going to try Lycra. ;)