PDA

View Full Version : What in Sam Hell Did I Just See???

tkokayde
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I was just watching some stupid movie on tv, and during the commercial break there was an ad for One A Day Teen Advantage vitamins. It seems the One A Day vitamins line now has new vitamins directed toward teens, and has even broken them down into separate vitamins for girl teens and boy teens. What has me so irate is that in the ad, they specifically say that the vitamins for the boys are to "help support healthy muscle function" while the vitamins for the girls are to "help support healthy skin". Ummmm...excuse me? I guess I didn't worry about having healthy muscles as a teenage girl. Why would I? As long as I had healthy glowing skin, why would I have needed healthy muscles? Girls don't need healthy muscles silly Mr. Consumer! Boys need muscles so they can be big and strong, and girls need pretty skin so they can attract the boys with muscles!

I have been seeing stuff like this more and more in advertising lately. Is it just me, or are we taking some steps back recently?

I couldn't find the commercial on Youtube, but the link below is for the website which specifically talks about the gender specific vitamins.

http://www.oneaday.com/teen_advantage.html

Blondell
01-19-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought that same exact thing when I saw the ad. Mentioned it to my husbend in a mini rant a couple of weeks ago! LOL

KP DIVA
01-19-2009, 05:19 PM
LOL, I haven't seen the add!

Siouxcountry
01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
Don't you think the whole making vitamins for teenagers in itself is odd?

I can just imagine these kids thinking "as long as I take my teenage vitamins I can eat all kinds of garbage and everything will be great"!

Shelly
01-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Don't you think the whole making vitamins for teenagers in itself is odd?

I can just imagine these kids thinking "as long as I take my teenage vitamins I can eat all kinds of garbage and everything will be great"!

whats even worse is i bet the ingredients are EXACTLY the same or SIMILAR to normal vitamins.

niche marketing... thats all it is...

Kristin
01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
I thought that same exact thing when I saw the ad. Mentioned it to my husbend in a mini rant a couple of weeks ago! LOL

x2!! I think it's ridiculous but it shows how ignorant our society can be.

jenscats5
01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
whats even worse is i bet the ingredients are EXACTLY the same or SIMILAR to normal vitamins.

Exactly!

airbrush tans
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
ignorance is everywhere!
ads. are going to sell to the masses. look at political campaigns,,, they will say anything they want because a larger portion of the media will buy into it, and sway their vote.
advertisers dont care about you. just buy what i tell you, then go away!

just think how many boys and girls are out there thinking "if i take these, my acne will clear up", or "i'll get more results from lifting"..

Mercury Girl
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Bingo! :)

Brandi
01-19-2009, 05:58 PM
OMG I saw this the other day, too! Of course, it's ok for boys to have muscles... dumb advertising.

tkokayde
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I do admit that I have been taking their One A Day for Women for years because of the added calcium. But really, how many teens do you know of that will think to take a daily vitamin? And the few that do probably already eat clean. Shouldn't we focus more on getting the crap food out of the picture?

Rassle frassle. That ad just got me fuming! I have seen so much media lately that is just frustrating! It's an onslaught of "be pretty and skinny and do housework because that's what you're supposed to do!" during the programs that would be targeted toward women. Switch it to ESPN and you get men eating thickburgers with chilli cheese fries and buying beer for scantily clad women because they deserve a break after a long hard week. What's next? Barbie is going to start coming in a Jenny Craig t-shirt with a Slim-Fast shake and a scale that tells her she's too muscular and needs to skinny down? Sorry, I know I'm off on a soapbox. I'm carb-deprived. Forgive me.

jbigfoot
01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry, I know I'm off on a soapbox. I'm carb-deprived. Forgive me.

No problem...there is much on TV worth fuming about. Remember the comment 'vast wasteland'? Newton Minnow (of the FCC) spoke those words in 1961!

You should hear me when I build up a head of steam about some of the idiotic things on there. Or maybe you shouldn't...!:banghead:

chicky9914
01-20-2009, 01:06 AM
What in Sam Hell Did I Just See???

Cute expression. Never heard that before. There's a hot new guy at my gym named Sam...just sayin ;)

kelbelblue
01-20-2009, 01:47 AM
well to be fair.. how many teenage girls do you know that are going to go get a vitamin that helps give them muscle? (whether it really does or not). I think most would shy away from that and think it would make them manly. shoot most WOMEN shy away from muscle, otherwise we would see more of them in the free weight section of the gym.

i think most girls in that age group would be sold on a vitamin that helps their skin look good over one that helps them grow muscle. lord knows i would have at that age.

they were smart in their marketing if you ask me.

SBT
01-20-2009, 01:56 AM
Don't think I've seen this ad yet, but sounds a little silly to me!