PDA

View Full Version : Stressed..with my new nursing position

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
So I feel like the troubled child lately. Seem to be falling apart. There's been LOTS of stress in my life lately.. and now with this new nursing job I've been at for 2 months.. I'm just stressed to the MAX! I know we have other nurses here so I'm hoping for some help. But with me, I hate the unknown. I just started on nights and my body is SO out of whack!! I can't function at all. Plus I'm having 6 patients on my own through the night as a new nurse and I'm just not comfortable with all these unknowns. I am much more comfortable, which I'm sure most people are, with jobs that you know what to expect before you go there. I had to call off last night because I was so upset I started having panic attacks/hyperventilating. It should be such an honor to be a nurse, I just don't feel like I fit at this job. I'm seriously considering going back to a desk job or personal training until May when my husband graduates.. and then try to find a diff nursing job wherever we end up (wherever he finds his job) I just can't function with this job consuming me like it has. As soon as I wake up, my heart starts racing stressing about having to go to work... I just needed to talk..so again- I'm back to siouxcountry =)

DanielleA
03-17-2009, 07:34 PM
If your anxiety is that bad then maybe you really DO need to re-evalute this job. I know how difficult it can be trying to juggle work, prep, and family life. I work a 10 hour day, have a 1 hour commute in each direction (which feels like a second job in and of itself) and once prep starts in 2 weeks I will hardly be spending any time at all with my fiance.

Due to all of these things I had to re-prioritize and wound up just doing a 3 day training split so that it wouldn't interfere with my job. Just remember that competing isn't the most important thing in life, and if you need to put it on the backburner for a while til you figure things out, it will still be there. :kiss:

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Hey, thanks for the input! I appreciate it. Everyone else I talk to basically says suck it up, you'll be fine. But I'm just not seeing it. And I almost feel like an idiot taking a 50% pay cut ... at least I know everyone else sees that as an idiot, but I like to be happy. I want to enjoy life.. not spend my day in bed crying. And competitions have already been slightly put on the backburner. I want to compete this year, but am just taking that part one day at a time. I'll compete when I'm ready, but this DEF has to be taken care of first. I can't function in any aspect of my life being this stressed out.

NPCFigure 40
03-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Hey Stacy!

I feel so badly for you! :-( NO ONE should feel that stressed or that much anxiety from work. You are going to jepordize (sp?) you own mental and physical health! Nursing is a rewarding profession (my sister in law has been an E/R nurse for 21 yrs) and it is also one that is highly demanding and under appreciated. Nurses get the brunt of everything! From Doctors, to patients, to patients familes. I am sure it feels few and far between when you get a true Thank you! But those are the ones that matter and make it worth while. Is there anyway you can take a part time position? Then personal train part time? Or maybe work for a doctors office?

One thing is for sure...no job is worth your physical well being, and mental health. Until you figure out what is best for you, take a deep breath, and just know, that you CAN DO THIS!!! Try to push your self doubt to the back burner, and just do the best you can, to your ability, it is all you can ask of yourself. I know its easy to say and hard to do. But we are all here for you if you want to vent. :kiss:

ps- Who care what others are saying about 50% pay cut, they are not you! Its more important to be healthy and happy and enjoy your life!! JMO!

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey Stacy!

I feel so badly for you! :-( NO ONE should feel that stressed or that much anxiety from work. You are going to jepordize (sp?) you own mental and physical health! Nursing is a rewarding profession (my sister in law has been an E/R nurse for 21 yrs) and it is also one that is highly demanding and under appreciated. Nurses get the brunt of everything! From Doctors, to patients, to patients familes. I am sure it feels few and far between when you get a true Thank you! But those are the ones that matter and make it worth while. Is there anyway you can take a part time position? Then personal train part time? Or maybe work for a doctors office?

One thing is for sure...no job is worth your physical well being, and mental health. Until you figure out what is best for you, take a deep breath, and just know, that you CAN DO THIS!!! Try to push your self doubt to the back burner, and just do the best you can, to your ability, it is all you can ask of yourself. I know its easy to say and hard to do. But we are all here for you if you want to vent. :kiss:

Well I'm already looking for work in dr's offices.. but where they don't post them, I'm just making a lot of phone calls to find out they only have medical assistants rather than nurses for the most part. I do wonder if I could drop to part time, but then I'm like- if I still have to be there and put up with it.. I might as well do an extra day here and there and make the extra money. I'm not sure which way to go with it all. But I do know it's no way to live being so upset and stressed every minute of the day that I'm awake.

NPCFigure 40
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Well I'm already looking for work in dr's offices.. but where they don't post them, I'm just making a lot of phone calls to find out they only have medical assistants rather than nurses for the most part. I do wonder if I could drop to part time, but then I'm like- if I still have to be there and put up with it.. I might as well do an extra day here and there and make the extra money. I'm not sure which way to go with it all. But I do know it's no way to live being so upset and stressed every minute of the day that I'm awake.

I complete agree with you. No job is worth that! I would ask if you have tried nursing homes..but that must get so depressing. Any connections with any of the docs that work in the hospital, but have private practices?? Hmmmm...wish I had more ideas for you...Just remember, only you know whats best for you. Others can give you advise, but you need to follow your heart. It sounds like you know what you need to do....just a matter of finding the right time.

Betsy
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
MONEY cant give you happiness.. so if you are THAT stressed and unahppy then i say STOP THAT JOB and go do something that makes you happier.. hopefully you can find a better position when you eventually move, but for now you really shouldnt be that unhappy! i say QUIT!!!!!! lol

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Very true. Quitting does sound like the most feasible option, but then as my husband says I'll stress about money until I find something else. (which is also true) =(
So I don't know if I need to stick it out until I find something I like better, or just go ahead and quit and if nothing else get a retail job and discounts on my clothes =) LOL
Like I said in my original post.. my mind is just going a million miles a minute about this and just consuming me. I hate it... My mom just tells me I don't give myself enough credit or have enough confidence in myself to do such a 'hard' job

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 08:33 PM
PS. thank you all for the support!! It really means a lot!!!! Especially in a time when I'm so stressed and everyone else just says get over it..

NPCFigure 40
03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
PS. thank you all for the support!! It really means a lot!!!! Especially in a time when I'm so stressed and everyone else just says get over it..

Tell them you will get over it...........When you made the right decision for you and your family!!! Like I said before.....try to push your self doubt aside, and do your job to the best of your ability! Just like when your training! If you can do fitness, you can do anything!!! LOL!!! Do whats right for you!!! Whats wonderful is it sounds like your husband is behind you no matter what you choose...that is the best support you can get! (and us here! LOL)

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Tell them you will get over it...........When you made the right decision for you and your family!!! Like I said before.....try to push your self doubt aside, and do your job to the best of your ability! Just like when your training! If you can do fitness, you can do anything!!! LOL!!! Do whats right for you!!! Whats wonderful is it sounds like your husband is behind you no matter what you choose...that is the best support you can get! (and us here! LOL)

Yeah, my husband is WONDERFUL! ALthough I feel really bad because here he is trying to finish up his schooling and has a million and one things on his plate, and here he's got a wife who is crying every 2 seconds over her job. He wants to help, but really has so much on his plate, he can't sit down and help me figure out what to do. And I don't want to feel like a loser for not sticking out this "great" job I'm supposed to have now that I graduated and all..

Shelly
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
hi babe

whaa about it gives you anxiety?? maybe it will pass as you become more comfortable in the position. i knew you were excitd when you became a nurse, werent you? i am sure the whole thing is just really overwhelming.... but like everyone said... in the long run if you are compromising your quality of life... then i think you need to reevaluate what you are doing.

life is too short to be unhappy... ALTHOUGH sometimes periods of stress lead to bigger and better things in the long run!

:kiss:

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
hi babe

whaa about it gives you anxiety?? maybe it will pass as you become more comfortable in the position. i knew you were excitd when you became a nurse, werent you? i am sure the whole thing is just really overwhelming.... but like everyone said... in the long run if you are compromising your quality of life... then i think you need to reevaluate what you are doing.

life is too short to be unhappy... ALTHOUGH sometimes periods of stress lead to bigger and better things in the long run!

:kiss:

I was excited, a huge accomplishment, but at the same time.. now comes all the responsibility and people's lives in MY hands and mine alone! It's VERY scary. A lot different from the books. And I'm the type of person that at least likes a little bit of consistency. I don't like not knowing what kind of patients I'm going to have, or how many.. or how many new ones I'm going to get and what's going to be wrong with them. All those unknowns just really get to me! Then throwing it into night shift working 40 hrs a wk (2 8's and 2 12's)... when I expected 3 12's to just get it done and overwith ... It's just a lot of changes and responsibility and headaches at once.

NPCFigure 40
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, my husband is WONDERFUL! ALthough I feel really bad because here he is trying to finish up his schooling and has a million and one things on his plate, and here he's got a wife who is crying every 2 seconds over her job. He wants to help, but really has so much on his plate, he can't sit down and help me figure out what to do. And I don't want to feel like a loser for not sticking out this "great" job I'm supposed to have now that I graduated and all..

You are not a "loser" Never think that. You are overwhelmed right now. That does not make you a loser. Just because people think a job is great, does not make it so. Maybe this PARTICULAR hospital is not so great, but not necessarily the job! You will figure this out. And I bet your husband knows that. He can offer you advise and support, but the decision is yours. I am sure, no, from what you wrote, I KNOW your hapiness is what matters to him.

Stacy Wright
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
You are not a "loser" Never think that. You are overwhelmed right now. That does not make you a loser. Just because people think a job is great, does not make it so. Maybe this PARTICULAR hospital is not so great, but not necessarily the job! You will figure this out. And I bet your husband knows that. He can offer you advise and support, but the decision is yours. I am sure, no, from what you wrote, I KNOW your hapiness is what matters to him.

well you did hit the nail on the head there. I was originally contracted with this hospital.. and bought it out because of the crazy requirements they were giving us. Only to find out I still have to do the 40 hr work week for the first year and then after the year, IF staffing allowed I could drop to the 36 that normal nurses do. now they're doing half my orientation days, half on nights... and flipping it back and forth the next 2 weeks.. So I can't even get on a normal schedule. and my floor has a high turnover rate (go figure) which is why they hired in the new grads to work "whatever they need them to". It's just been one thing after another with them. It very well could just be my unit/hospital I'm at. but who knows at this point... I guess it can't be any worse elsewhere if I would go. Just hope for it to be better

MsGuns
03-17-2009, 09:41 PM
If your anxiety is that bad then maybe you really DO need to re-evalute this job. I know how difficult it can be trying to juggle work, prep, and family life. I work a 10 hour day, have a 1 hour commute in each direction (which feels like a second job in and of itself) and once prep starts in 2 weeks I will hardly be spending any time at all with my fiance.

Due to all of these things I had to re-prioritize and wound up just doing a 3 day training split so that it wouldn't interfere with my job. Just remember that competing isn't the most important thing in life, and if you need to put it on the backburner for a while til you figure things out, it will still be there. :kiss:

I feel ya Danielle...
I had Jeremy change my workouts because I picked up a side job.
Plus there are plenty of shows to compete in.

NPCFigure 40
03-17-2009, 10:13 PM
well you did hit the nail on the head there. I was originally contracted with this hospital.. and bought it out because of the crazy requirements they were giving us. Only to find out I still have to do the 40 hr work week for the first year and then after the year, IF staffing allowed I could drop to the 36 that normal nurses do. now they're doing half my orientation days, half on nights... and flipping it back and forth the next 2 weeks.. So I can't even get on a normal schedule. and my floor has a high turnover rate (go figure) which is why they hired in the new grads to work "whatever they need them to". It's just been one thing after another with them. It very well could just be my unit/hospital I'm at. but who knows at this point... I guess it can't be any worse elsewhere if I would go. Just hope for it to be better

I work for a Police Dept in Rockland County. I have been a dispatcher/911 operator for 22 yrs now..UGH, I am dating myself, anyway, I learned over the years that every Dept, large or small, generally has all the same BS just on a much different scale with different people! LOL!!! (I have worked in both NJ and NY and taught computer classes at a police academy in NJ.) Anway, that said, Nursing in general is a very demanding job, and a very stressful job. Watching my sister in law and listening to her stories over the years, it just seems that nurses are always in demand, and hospitals are always short staffed, making the demands on all the nurses that much greater. I have done shift work(did it for years), and it SUX!!!! Very hard to get adjusted, and just when you start to adjust to a shift, your shift is changing again! Thank God I am on a steady night shift now.

All you can do now is try to relax( as much as you can.) And realize, You are ONE person. You can only do so much. BUT- You CAN do this job!!! (Believe me, I feel the same way you do about peoples lives in my hands) When you start to realize you can do this job, is when that doubt you have starts to subside...and 22 yrs later, I still have my doubt days, believe me. (just a part of being human! ) This job and the shifts is still new for you. You will find a groove, and get into it....it will happen when you least expect it. Soak up the knowledge and the experience, and use it, to carry you to a better place. Better job, better hospital....what ever you choose to do! Just know this...you WILL figure this out and do what is best for you!:)

Bernie
03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Stacy,

Ultimatly you have to do what is best for you. Money is good to have, but its not the end all be all. I know you have a husband that loves you, and others in your life that care for you more then can be described. Your happiness is paramount here. You have to do what is best for Stacy Wright. No questions asked. For the time being, just trust yourself. You know what is needed, and you are simply an intelligent young woman. Just trust you, and trust your knowledge. I know what your husband, and many others know, you are a very special person and have a lot to offer whatever profession or job you decide to do. I also trust your heart 100%. Search your heart over this situation, and I know you will find the answer that is correct for you.

I will definatly continue in prayer for you Stacy. Trust you, and lean on Him for the wisdom and knowledge you need daily.

Bernie

Stacy Wright
03-18-2009, 08:51 PM
Hey guys.. thanks again for all your help and support. Things were just too much for me right now and I talked to my manager today and gave her my resignation. It just wasn't going to work out. I am taking a leap of faith here in that something better is in store for my future. Please just continue to keep me in your prayers!
Best of luck to all those in contest prep right now! I'm so proud of all of you!! You're all such an inspiration!

Shelly
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
well u obviously made the decision that was best for YOU and thats what matters!!

itll all work out girl!:kiss:

Stacy Wright
03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, Life is DEF too short to be unhappy.. and not being able to function in ANY aspect of my life definitely qualifies as being unhappy. I'm a very strong woman in most every aspect of life, but I'm still human and even us competitors get overwhelmed with things. I'm just thankful I have a place to turn for support! =)

LizaFit
03-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi Stacy.. I just read all the posts on this thread... I have to tell you that I know EXACTLY the way you are feeling.. I went through all of these same feelings.. graduating from Nursing school and so excited to start my new career.. wow it was so different than what I expected.. very overwhelming.. I too started on the night shift, I worked it for 7 months and my body never adjusted.. major anxiety... of course when you are a "new" nurse you want to do all your tasks as you were taught.. and when you are juggling 8 to 10 patients you can't possilby give the attention you feel your patients need which leads to anxiety and fear of something bad happening.. I commend the Nurses that work in Hospitals for years and years...

I would love to chat with you more by phone if you are up for it as I just know how awful this feeling is that you are experiencing.. I did stay in Nursing for a while but changed positions.. PM me a contact number if you want to chat Stacy.

xox Liza

'Lil Dynamo
03-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi Stacy! I just finished reading your thread and am happy that you made a decision to help ease your worries. I KNOW what you're talking about because I'm a nurse too. No one understands what that entails unless you actually do the job. I work in an adult medical/surgical ICU. I also work nights. So...we have some things in common!:D If you ever want to talk about anything just PM me your number and we can chat. :) Good luck to you. I'm sure things will work out just fine for you.;)

Stacy Wright
03-19-2009, 03:12 AM
Hi Stacy! I just finished reading your thread and am happy that you made a decision to help ease your worries. I KNOW what you're talking about because I'm a nurse too. No one understands what that entails unless you actually do the job. I work in an adult medical/surgical ICU. I also work nights. So...we have some things in common!:D If you ever want to talk about anything just PM me your number and we can chat. :) Good luck to you. I'm sure things will work out just fine for you.;)

I went ahead and sent Liza a PM, but I want to thank you both for understanding and for your help and offering an ear to listen! I figure in this field there are so many options, I will be able to find something that doesn't make me completely and totally dysfunctional at life in general while working. This one just obviously wasn't fit for me. And while I commend those for working nights, and do understand you get used to it after some time, the way I was feeling and as sick as I was getting over it.. it's just something my body was not going to adjust to. Just like bodybuilding and training, different people need different things, and that job wasn't working for me by any means. So anyway- feeling some better now. Just have to go from here and get things back on track and hope for a better opportunity to come along! Def keep in touch though and I want to thank you for your support!!

'Lil Dynamo
03-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Sure thing, girl! I'm here for ya!!!:)