PDA

View Full Version : Tiananmen Square

Siouxcountry
03-19-2009, 05:40 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_re_as/as_china_crackdown_veteran;_ylt=ArmDfNg_ZY_PDS3hYR H_0xZvaA8F

I can't believe it's been twenty years!

jbigfoot
03-19-2009, 07:22 AM
Yup...the world keeps turning. And perhaps this event will find its way into a revised version of "We Didn't Start the Fire" if Billy Joel decides to update his classic song.

The soldiers killed the people, but they obviously can't kill the idea. Let's hope we see an end to communism in China in our lifetime as we saw it end in Russia.

Femphysiquefan
03-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Does everyone remember where they were when they got the news?? I had just gotten home with my family from church that morning, and turned on the news to see what was happening. My friends and I had been keeping up with the demonstrations that had been going on during the weeks prior to the actual massacre, but in my naivete I never thought that the Chinese government would actually do something like that to their own people.

This amazing shot taken during that time is one of the most powerful and moving pictures I have ever seen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tianasquare.jpg

Siouxcountry
03-19-2009, 07:58 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tianasquare.jpg

I wonder if he is alive?

I too was surprised they'd murder their own people.

At the time I thought this was the beginning of a revolution.

jbigfoot
03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I too was surprised they'd murder their own people.

This didn't surprise me a bit. 'People' is one commodity China has more than enough of.

At the time I thought this was the beginning of a revolution.

I'm sure there are rumblings of change, as there are in any society. But since so many people in China are comfortable from the prosperity that their combination of capitalism and communism have brought them, I doubt that there will be enough popular support for a revolution. You can't convince a man who's not hungry to bite the hand that feeds him.

musclefox
03-19-2009, 11:15 PM
This didn't surprise me a bit. 'People' is one commodity China has more than enough of.

I'm sure there are rumblings of change, as there are in any society. But since so many people in China are comfortable from the prosperity that their combination of capitalism and communism have brought them, I doubt that there will be enough popular support for a revolution. You can't convince a man who's not hungry to bite the hand that feeds him.

Well put Jbigfoot. And if you think the government is bad in our country in terms of perpetuating lies and "cover-ups", check out some of these communist governments. Cuba won't allow their people to watch American Baseball because then the players (and people) could see what's possible (i.e. financial success, etc.) in a "democratic society".

That could be referred to as "oppression through recession" (from an uninformative standpoint)

JLB001
03-20-2009, 01:39 AM
My son was over in China in Jan. Not sure if he went to the Square or not.

Doesn't seem like its been that time frame