PDA

View Full Version : Is Figure Really the New Bodybuilding?

Musclepapa John
03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
As times change and the federations try to adjust to appeal to mainstreamers that are intimidated by women with anything more than mammaries and buttocks could it be that figure is rapidly becoming the dominion of what we have traditionally known as bodybuilders?
We see signs of where this could be the case as figure competitors are scored down for being too muscular, vascular, conditioned, and even for rigid postures. Might this be a sign that these women scored down ought to actually be competing in bodybuilding?
The term itself "bodybuilding" connotes something that those flabby mainstreamers don't like, which results in some marketing savvy interests dropping the term entirely from their promotion of women in this realm of the physique sports.
As Helle Nielsen noted on Siouxcountry Radio might "Body Sculpting" be a better and more savory expression than bodybuilding for women these days?
Take a look at my current avatar and you will find a beautiful lady who competed in figure at the CJ Classic, but could possibly have faired quite well in bodybuilding.
Such a shame that semantics is such a necessity in best promoting the beautiful physiques of female competitors in bodybuilding, fitness, figure, and now bikini.:respect:

Siouxcountry
03-29-2009, 11:12 PM
Take a look at my current avatar and you will find a beautiful lady who competed in figure at the CJ Classic, but could possibly have faired quite well in bodybuilding.

What was her placing?

Joel posted pics of a figure competitor who switched over and competed in bodybuilding this year..............

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=6456

She won the overall.

Musclepapa John
03-29-2009, 11:46 PM
What was her placing?

Joel posted pics of a figure competitor who switched over and competed in bodybuilding this year..............

http://www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?t=6456

She won the overall.

2nd in class d:
Venezolana Tibisay Robles :awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fC7Y8LGq2Y

5fC7Y8LGq2Y

Quadrablue
03-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok so here's a question...... if there were no shows for fbb's how many of you would crossover to figure so you could still compete? My answer....NO!!! I love who I am and have no wish to tone it down just to get on a stage.

teri
03-30-2009, 12:24 AM
Amen sista-Quadrablue.:bowdown:..No offense John, but IMO-i dont think she would be a bb, to me that girl looks like a true old fashion Figure- which i think she looks fantastic as...but fbb?? i dont think so..(imo):respect:

Musclepapa John
03-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Ok so here's a question...... if there were no shows for fbb's how many of you would crossover to figure so you could still compete? My answer....NO!!! I love who I am and have no wish to tone it down just to get on a stage.
:awesome:
Granted you can't be in full bore development mode as a top IFBB athlete and hope to succeed by toning it down (lol), but aren't these really issues of degree versus as you describe an extreme where bodybuilding for women might,..go away? We know it isn't going away but many bodybuilding quality physiques appear in the IFBB Figure and Fitness ranks. As an IFBB Pro can't you for instance compete also in figure as a pro?

I see this come up with bodybuilding ladies in how they market themselves where they might prefer on their website to refer to themselves only as an IFBB athlete whereas you refer to yourself proudly as an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder at www.AthenaSiganakis.com:respect:

Musclepapa John
03-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Amen sista-Quadrablue.:bowdown:..No offense John, but IMO-i dont think she would be a bb, to me that girl looks like a true old fashion Figure- which i think she looks fantastic as...but fbb?? i dont think so..(imo):respect:

Unfortunately, on a local level some of the girls competing as bodybuilders er, don't look as much like a bodybuilder as she does, lol. :)

Suzanne
03-30-2009, 12:51 AM

ABSOLUTELY NOT! I train because I love it and love the muscle. Competing is just for fun. Especially the new figure

teri
03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Unfortunately, on a local level some of the girls competing as bodybuilders er, don't look as much like a bodybuilder as she does, lol. :)

ok true...i will give u that...I just hope ur "question" is not the way its going to go...

Suzanne
03-30-2009, 12:52 AM

I don't think she is FBBer either

just because you are lean does not = BBer

Suzanne
03-30-2009, 12:53 AM

That is because WAY TOO MANY people rush to stage LONG before they should even more in figure than BBBing

lil mama
03-30-2009, 12:54 AM
I am what I am said POPEYE....and I was A FBB when I started out over 10 years ago then switched to figure thinking I would never have big enough muskles:p for bodybuilding( lol ) but lil did I realize I was always bb at heart even when I WAS DOING FIGURE just a miniature version:D

teri
03-30-2009, 12:55 AM
I am what I am said POPEYE....and I was A FBB when I started out over 10 years ago then switched to figure thinking I would never have big enough muskles:p for bodybuilding( lol ) but lil did I realize I was always bb at heart even when I WAS DOING FIGURE just a miniature version:D

:bowdown:

Suzanne
03-30-2009, 12:55 AM

me too! Once i switched back i knew i was home! plus there was a time i equated being a size 1-3 in offseason as looking good and being lean I am OVER that!

ISABELLE TURELL
03-30-2009, 03:12 AM

Way to Go Athena!

We don't do crossovers anymore here in Indiana. We ran into problems where the girls competing in figure didn't place to high and crossed over to bodybuilding and placed well. This could also be due to the fact that we don't have many competitors in female bodybuilding anyway :) in Indiana. I really wish we did. We no longer allow crossovers from figure to bodybuilding or vice versa. Either you want to be a bodybuilder or a figure competitor.

Now our Indiana's very own Jennifer Gates started out as a bodybuilder (which she looked great) and then went and competed in figure. Look at all her success:respect::respect:

Quadrablue
03-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Hey, I tried training for fitness back in my early 30's. Have no clue if I would've been good at it or not. What I do know is that at heart I am bodybuilder. I can't imagine being anything else.

Musclepapa John
03-30-2009, 10:32 AM
We ran into problems where the girls competing in figure didn't place to high and crossed over to bodybuilding and placed well. This could also be due to the fact that we don't have many competitors in female bodybuilding anyway :) in Indiana.

Belle kind of makes the point here as there is a lot of bodybuilding talent in the figure ranks and that for some reason the bodybuilding ranks are lacking. I believe it is the stigma attached to it. I wish I knew how that could be addressed head on and put a positive spin on it to help build the popularity of the sport.

Quadrablue
03-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Belle kind of makes the point here as there is a lot of bodybuilding talent in the figure ranks and that for some reason the bodybuilding ranks are lacking. I believe it is the stigma attached to it. I wish I knew how that could be addressed head on and put a positive spin on it to help build the popularity of the sport.

You and me both. I've had a few girls come to me that want to do figure that are clearly meant to be bbers. But you can't force them to do what they don't want to do, even after they don't place well as figure girls. They just keep using the word 'skinny'. I hate that word :banghead:

Bronwyn
03-30-2009, 01:33 PM

me too! Once i switched back i knew i was home! plus there was a time i equated being a size 1-3 in offseason as looking good and being lean I am OVER that!

Me too :awesome: I competed as bodybuilder and always was a bodybuilder, but Figure here ruined lightweight bodybuilding (we have only middle and heavy weight now here on Nationals).... When I did my comeback to open classes from teenage class - I thought I am tiny to be a bodybuilder. On my first figure I was kicked out because of being "too huge" .... :D
Than I competed in Bulgary - in Figure too, but this "figure" was rather lightweight bodybuilding. I wanted to go Figure on Universe NAC too - but judges at the weight in pushed me back to bodybuilding and I realized I missed it a lot. You might seen probbably the fastest kicking off the high heels in history there :D
Now prepairing for Figure class - but in NABBA. In NABBA Figure is as big and hard as bodybuilding in IFBB and Physique is HUGE!! So the training and goal is to have huge and ripped muscles....And I hope to be able to go to Physique one day again!!

Some pictures from 2008 - last picture is Physique class winner (bodybuilding) Vivian

teri
03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
WOW...Interesting...i didnt know that about NABBA...Those girls r ROCKS...:bowdown::respect:

lil mama
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
One way to keep a positive spin is for the Lil gals that are already in bodybuilding to continue to come out and compete. Let the public know that we come in all sizes and that you don't have to be 150 lbs of muscle to be competitive you can be small and still compete. But if we give up and have the mentality of " Ohhh I can't compare to Iris or Heather I'm too small ". Yes you can, It takes all walks of life to keep the world going and it will take all different sizes and shapes to keep Female Bodybuilding going as well.You know when I first started out in BB I never ever knew what steroids were or diuretics or pro hormones, any of that stuff till I competed at N.Americas when I overheard a couple of young ladies ( FIGURE DIVISION ) talk about anavar and how long they been on it and talking back and forth about their diets...so I asked my husband what is Anavar he said to me plain and simple " you got me ". when we got back home I goggled it and then said to myself "Ahhh" so then I started to read more and more on websites and other forums and found a whole nother world that never knew existed and was like:shocked: not only about drugs but other stuff so the stigma is like a disease and when someone associates you to BB they will automatically assume that is you and what your about But that isn't so with sum of us and it's my job to educate those around me that the area of competition I chose is about ME and what I do and don't do to attain my look. I will give you the information and what you chose to do with it is your call .
Bottom line is that the Rita Rea's the Debbie's and klaudia Larson's need to continue to compete and do well in the ranks and setting a positive example on how they conduct themselves on and off the stage , in hopes that the talent in figure will realize like everything in life it's what you make of it and the stigma of FBB is not part of every FBB'S LIFE and that you don't have to be a heavy weight to do well in the IFBB, just come in the best you.

Suzanne
03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Most women want to be small whether it is skinny, skinnyfat or a little muscle they want to wear the size 1-3 jeans and look good in clothes. They don't want to look bulky and i understand i only look good in shorts and tank tops.

If i was working i am not sure how i would handle this Short, muscular, hold my weight in middle i look HORRIBLE in real clothes. I think this has alot to do with it.

When i was tiny but tight i got complements daily from people including women now rarely

Bodybuilding takes a certain mindset and passion

lil mama
03-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Ooops. I meant to say they set the positive example:D

ibarramedia
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Me too :awesome: I competed as bodybuilder and always was a bodybuilder, but Figure here ruined lightweight bodybuilding (we have only middle and heavy weight now here on Nationals).... When I did my comeback to open classes from teenage class - I thought I am tiny to be a bodybuilder. On my first figure I was kicked out because of being "too huge" .... :D
Than I competed in Bulgary - in Figure too, but this "figure" was rather lightweight bodybuilding. I wanted to go Figure on Universe NAC too - but judges at the weight in pushed me back to bodybuilding and I realized I missed it a lot. You might seen probbably the fastest kicking off the high heels in history there :D
Now prepairing for Figure class - but in NABBA. In NABBA Figure is as big and hard as bodybuilding in IFBB and Physique is HUGE!! So the training and goal is to have huge and ripped muscles....And I hope to be able to go to Physique one day again!!

Some pictures from 2008 - last picture is Physique class winner (bodybuilding) Vivian

I like the European vision for Figure and Physique. :awesome:

K-Max
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
You and me both. I've had a few girls come to me that want to do figure that are clearly meant to be bbers. But you can't force them to do what they don't want to do, even after they don't place well as figure girls. They just keep using the word 'skinny'. I hate that word

Were these gals in the sport for a while? I think there's also a level of maturity and security that's factored in as well. Obviously you know why you're in the sport and why you decided to build the body that you have. You also probably know what having bigger muscles than most women mean to you as well as developed a level of appreciation for them.

For some women (and men), they may have just entered to get stronger and have fun on stage and at the same time, worry too much about being ridiculed (and questioned) if they step beyond the boundaries of what most people are comfy with.

Bronwyn
03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
WOW...Interesting...i didnt know that about NABBA...Those girls r ROCKS...:bowdown::respect:

Yes - also in NABBA Figure is more interesting - as there is posing and free routines - what satisfied me more than 4 quarter turns and go backstage :D

Figure has only less poses than Physique (bodybuilding).... Physique has also lat spread (rear and front) and most muscular..... no difference from men. Figure has mandatory poses as IFBB bodybuilders - but with no clenched fists.

Similar to NABBA is WABBA, WFF and NAC. :awesome:

Bronwyn
03-31-2009, 07:27 AM
I like the European vision for Figure and Physique. :awesome:

What I showed is NABBA look. IFBB in Europe is also harder than USA - but less than NABBA here. :D

Toy_Amazon
04-01-2009, 01:45 AM
I had a my brother in law, come to the house, my sister and law had to remind him I was training for figure. I was getting ready to remind him and he said, "oh that body sculpting thing". I was pissed I said no, it isn't body sculpting it is bodybuilding it's just everyone is afraid to call it what it is. Dammit. Don't F with me about my training, I ain't doing no gosh dang pilates to look this way. I am strong as hell, and he should not be pissing me off that way, cause he is a weak little pencil neck dweeb.:banghead:

Ok, rant over. Sorry for the frustion of this first post, but I needed to vent.

As times change and the federations try to adjust to appeal to mainstreamers that are intimidated by women with anything more than mammaries and buttocks could it be that figure is rapidly becoming the dominion of what we have traditionally known as bodybuilders?
We see signs of where this could be the case as figure competitors are scored down for being too muscular, vascular, conditioned, and even for rigid postures. Might this be a sign that these women scored down ought to actually be competing in bodybuilding?
The term itself "bodybuilding" connotes something that those flabby mainstreamers don't like, which results in some marketing savvy interests dropping the term entirely from their promotion of women in this realm of the physique sports.
As Helle Nielsen noted on Siouxcountry Radio might "Body Sculpting" be a better and more savory expression than bodybuilding for women these days?
Such a shame that semantics is such a necessity in best promoting the beautiful physiques of female competitors in bodybuilding, fitness, figure, and now bikini.:respect:

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 01:48 AM
I had a my brother in law, come to the house, my sister and law had to remind him I was training for figure. I was getting ready to remind him and he said, "oh that body sculpting thing". I was pissed I said no, it isn't body sculpting it is bodybuilding it's just everyone is afraid to call it what it is. Dammit. Don't F with me about my training, I ain't doing no gosh dang pilates to look this way. I am strong as hell, and he should not be pissing me off that way, cause he is a weak little pencil neck dweeb.:banghead:

Ok, rant over. Sorry for the frustion of this first post, but I needed to vent.

LOL! Welcome Toy!!!

Toy_Amazon
04-01-2009, 02:00 AM
LOL! Welcome Toy!!!

Thanks, I didn't know how that was going to be recieved.

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks, I didn't know how that was going to be recieved.

We know your not lifting the pink weights!!

I'm not sure if figure is the new bb or if history has just come full circle and starting to repeat itself.

Toy_Amazon
04-01-2009, 02:14 AM
We know your not lifting the pink weights!!

I'm not sure if figure is the new bb or if history has just come full circle and starting to repeat itself.

I decided to not compete in the NPC or IFBB ever, because they are trying to turn figure soft. I don't want to be a "bodybuilder" because I don't want to put on that kind of mass, but I don't look good with a soft body, I just look fat, even at 14%. The NPC and IFBB are very sexist and I don't appreciate and won't support them.

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't think the IFBB is sexist....I just think that they feel that fbb probably got a little of control at one point and figure was right on the edge of doing the same thing.

What I've learned from all of this is that you have to compete for self...not the NPC. Yes, a 1st place trophy would be great, but I have to remind myself that there will only be one winner and I think I'd feel better loosing bringing in the physique that looks best on me vs. loosing trying to conform to what is the new look.

In the NPCs defense, I think it still depends on the individual competitor. Some have been rewarded w/ more muscle than others and some haven't. I'm like you...14% on me is beach ready, but no where near stage ready. But, I have seen some girls who look great and can pull it off.

I decided to not compete in the NPC or IFBB ever, because they are trying to turn figure soft. I don't want to be a "bodybuilder" because I don't want to put on that kind of mass, but I don't look good with a soft body, I just look fat, even at 14%. The NPC and IFBB are very sexist and I don't appreciate and won't support them.

Toy_Amazon
04-01-2009, 03:11 AM
Okay, maybe sexist is the wrong word. But I liked where figure was going, nice lean tight, achievable muscle levels. You could do it without doing drugs(not to say all bber's do drugs and i know it is common in figure), without being near death lean, while still looking..well attractive to the opposite sex(please don't hurt me!)..not to say that is why we are competing, but the "mainstream" man does not find fbber's all that attractive. Really, most mainstream men don't find many figure girl all that attractive. We all know that. I just don't know what was out of control, about figure.

Is Gina Allioti out of control????

You tell me, you were there. I am a trainee wannabe, so what do i know, all I know is what other women in my forums are telling me, and it is always:

"Why didn't I place as well as I though I should"
"You need to come in softer next time" or "You were to hard"

F that!

I think they should continue to reward the well muscled, type of physique that made me join this sport. When they threatened to stop doing that, I thought why train??? I can look soft, and slender sitting on my butt not eating, like the rest of women who want to look like models.

There are other orgs that I feel have much more respect for female muscle than the IFBB and the NPC. Why compete with them and give them my money, knowing I won't have a good chance of placing high because I maybe "too muscular", not doing drugs, eating well, and training hard????

I probably should never say never about the NPC and IFBB, but I definitely say "highly unlikely".

I don't think the IFBB is sexist....I just think that they feel that fbb probably got a little of control at one point and figure was right on the edge of doing the same thing.

What I've learned from all of this is that you have to compete for self...not the NPC. Yes, a 1st place trophy would be great, but I have to remind myself that there will only be one winner and I think I'd feel better loosing bringing in the physique that looks best on me vs. loosing trying to conform to what is the new look.

In the NPCs defense, I think it still depends on the individual competitor. Some have been rewarded w/ more muscle than others and some haven't. I'm like you...14% on me is beach ready, but no where near stage ready. But, I have seen some girls who look great and can pull it off.

Alli
04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
That is because WAY TOO MANY people rush to stage LONG before they should even more in figure than BBBing

:respect::respect:

Alli
04-01-2009, 12:32 PM

a comment Brian Moss made during our Sports After Dark interview with him regarding female bbing was similiar KP.....:kiss:

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Okay, maybe sexist is the wrong word. But I liked where figure was going, nice lean tight, achievable muscle levels. You could do it without doing drugs(not to say all bber's do drugs and i know it is common in figure), without being near death lean, while still looking..well attractive to the opposite sex(please don't hurt me!)..not to say that is why we are competing, but the "mainstream" man does not find fbber's all that attractive. Really, most mainstream men don't find many figure girl all that attractive. We all know that. I just don't know what was out of control, about figure.

Is Gina Allioti out of control????

I wouldn't say Gina was getting out of control.....but, I would say on the elite level some figure competitors did look like light weight bb's in heels.

You tell me, you were there. I am a trainee wannabe, so what do i know, all I know is what other women in my forums are telling me, and it is always:

"Why didn't I place as well as I though I should"
"You need to come in softer next time" or "You were to hard"

We've all heard it.....uggggg, this has been going on for over a year! Nothing new....bring in the physique you are most comfy with.

F that!

I think they should continue to reward the well muscled, type of physique that made me join this sport. When they threatened to stop doing that, I thought why train??? I can look soft, and slender sitting on my butt not eating, like the rest of women who want to look like models.

There are other orgs that I feel have much more respect for female muscle than the IFBB and the NPC. Why compete with them and give them my money, knowing I won't have a good chance of placing high because I maybe "too muscular", not doing drugs, eating well, and training hard????

With the exception of figure in Europe I'm not impressed. Sorry, what orgs. are you talking about. Although NPC has it's issues I won't lie about that....I still feel that NPC has the best figure atheletes hands down.

Yep, some of the winners have been softer...but show me a figure competitor who has gotten her IFBB pro card in 2008 who had a jiggly ass. Yeah, some didn't have as much muscle as I would have liked, but I didn't see jiggly asses....yes, it's on the regional level, but I'm not seeing it on the Nat'l level. Yeah, is there look more attainable, hell ya, but it is what it is.

I probably should never say never about the NPC and IFBB, but I definitely say "highly unlikely".

So what organization do you plan to compete in?

Goes back to what I initially said....if the only reason I'm competing is to win 1st place then I don't think I'd be doing it. I'd be in a sport where i'm not judged, but it would be based on my performance and points...ie. softball, basketball, volleyball,etc.

This is subjective...as long as someone else is looking at you and judging you on what they think looks best you are going to have this. Training and competing for me is about the win, but it's also about setting personal goals for myself and attaining them.

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 01:03 PM
a comment Brian Moss made during our Sports After Dark interview with him regarding female bbing was similiar KP.....:kiss:

I'm behind...I still need to listen to that interview....and I want to listen to Kevin's too.

I say that b/c when you look at the Elite fbb's in the early 80s they looked like what the elite figure girls looked like in 2002-2005.

ejmcompany@mac.com
04-01-2009, 02:13 PM

Rock on Athena....:awesome:

Don't go changing!!

Toy_Amazon
04-01-2009, 05:39 PM
So what organization do you plan to compete in?

Goes back to what I initially said....if the only reason I'm competing is to win 1st place then I don't think I'd be doing it. I'd be in a sport where i'm not judged, but it would be based on my performance and points...ie. softball, basketball, volleyball,etc.

This is subjective...as long as someone else is looking at you and judging you on what they think looks best you are going to have this. Training and competing for me is about the win, but it's also about setting personal goals for myself and attaining them.

I am sorry for hijaking the thread, all of this is totally off topic and this will be my last response to you KP, about this. I get really fired up about this stuff. Maybe it is the novelty, maybe it is a great passion and love for finally having a sport that I just love.

Like I said, I am a noob, but, here is the thing my coach is an IFBB judge! She is steering me away from the NPC and IFBB to the NANBF and other natural orgs, because they are not as scared about female muscular development, she literally said you will knock it out of the park.

All I have to do is train heavy, eat well, come in lean, no worries about "coming in to muscular" or any of that, cause it's not gonna be as much of a problem.

I believe, maybe because the are tested, maybe there is less of a stigma for more female muscle. Could that be the case???

I know the NPC is bigger, and has more contest, and is definitely the path to go to if you want to be widely promoted, but I don't want any of that. I want to know what I need to have to win, period. For me winning isn't first, but it ain't seventh either.

There is too much going on in the larger orgs that have nothing to do with female athletes doing their best, it just began to frustrate me, I almost considered just not doing this all together. The "semantics" as musclepapa pointed out is only part of the problem.

Anyways, I am really not this negative. Please forgive me. I just have no one who understands any of this stuff around.

As for figure being the new bodybuilding. I really hope my sisters in BB, still have a home after the dust settles. It is really not right, what is happening. Not every woman can do figure, it really takes a very specific body type to do it. One that gains muscle well and has an hourglass shape to, even while very lean. I am probably one of those woman who can go either way, but I feel that alot of woman competing in figure are there cause they are losing homes in BBing, not because they would do better in figure or even compete equally well. Like I said figure is bodybuilding, but that does not mean bbers should all switch to figure.

CydneyWalker_etheric
04-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Yes - also in NABBA Figure is more interesting - as there is posing and free routines - what satisfied me more than 4 quarter turns and go backstage :D

Figure has only less poses than Physique (bodybuilding).... Physique has also lat spread (rear and front) and most muscular..... no difference from men. Figure has mandatory poses as IFBB bodybuilders - but with no clenched fists.

Similar to NABBA is WABBA, WFF and NAC. :awesome:

FAME is that was as well - no clinched fists. the competitors can come in lean and hard without striations. there is also a posing round of 90 seconds to do a routine. it seems just like what i wanted to do with competitions. i am like lil mama - bber at heart, but at my height i am struggling to make the drastic changes needed to come in as a heavy weight. to get to body fat levels needed for bbing i would be a middle weight and at 5'11", that's not a good thing. lol! so i probably will stick with a figure organization that prmotes more muscle and leanness than what npc is striving for.

dvsness
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Toy_Amazon, please continue the discussion - it's nice to hear passionate words about our passion, regardless of agreement.

Have you attended the shows of different orgs? Do you agree with your coach based on what you have seen with your own eyes?

I think one of the interesting thing about the Figure change in the NPC is that several girls are doing the opposite of the original exodus - there are quite a few converters TO bodybuilding.

dvsness
04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes - also in NABBA

figure organization that prmotes more muscle and leanness than what npc is striving for.

I thought NABBA was badass, too! However, it seems there is a big difference between how it is in Europe vs the US.

CydneyWalker_etheric
04-01-2009, 06:11 PM
I thought NABBA was badass, too! However, it seems there is a big difference between how it is in Europe vs the US.

hey V. yes, there is always a difference between european competitions and usa based ones. but the FAME shows are not just local. most are overseas and in canada. i think FAME is slowly growing here in the states. the level of muscularity they have, i can appreciate it. i really want to do bbing. it is my passion, but i always wished they would do bbing on height and not weight! dang it.

i looked at a video from bodyproud.org that promotes the FAME shows. i like the fact they get to pose for 90 seconds and twist with side posing. as this is a hobby, i am committed to no organization, just committed to me and my personal growth/goals in competing.

Siouxcountry
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Like I said, I am a noob, but, here is the thing my coach is an IFBB judge! She is steering me away from the NPC and IFBB to the NANBF and other natural orgs, because they are not as scared about female muscular development, she literally said you will knock it out of the park.

Hi Toy! :waving:

I'm surprised to read your coach is an IFBB Judge and recommending you compete in another federation.

http://www.nanbf.org/

The NANBF appears to be a small federation, only the Midwest.....

http://www.nanbf.org/aboutus.aspx

lisaperson
04-01-2009, 06:36 PM
I am switching to bbing because I want to challenge myself. I want to work my ass off, train hard, diet hard and bring it, be proud of my conditioning and get a chance to show it off with a routine. One of the things weighing on my decision was at every show (except last one bc I looked like crap all around) the judges told me to switch over. I want to feel like I worked hard and at least got 60 seconds of recognition. If I am going to walk on stage, I want to hang out for a minute. lol
I, in no way, think it is an easy task! I don't think, "Oh well, I am switching now, because I am too hard for figure!" I want to do this. I always wanted to do bodybuilding but didn't know for sure if I could do it. I am now ready to set that goal. I respect all the athletes in each division. But, I know that part of my frustration stems from the inconsistency in figure judging, whether it pertains to a show I did, or even the Arnold Classic results. I don't want to tone it down. I love this new mindset I have. Took time off and thought about how I felt after each show. I realized that I will be happier with this new goal. Ultimately, I am doing this for me. Do I think I will ever be a pro bodybuilder, no not really. But, I will have fun doing it. That is what is important.

KP DIVA
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I am sorry for hijaking the thread, all of this is totally off topic and this will be my last response to you KP, about this. I get really fired up about this stuff. Maybe it is the novelty, maybe it is a great passion and love for finally having a sport that I just love.

No apologies needed and I don't think you've hijacked this thread at all!! We're having a discussion!!!

All I have to do is train heavy, eat well, come in lean, no worries about "coming in to muscular" or any of that, cause it's not gonna be as much of a problem.

I believe, maybe because the are tested, maybe there is less of a stigma for more female muscle. Could that be the case???

Good question....but to be honest, I think if a person is going to use, they are going to use. Now, they may find ways to mask it so they test negative day of show, dunno.

I know the NPC is bigger, and has more contest, and is definitely the path to go to if you want to be widely promoted, but I don't want any of that. I want to know what I need to have to win, period. For me winning isn't first, but it ain't seventh either.

There is too much going on in the larger orgs that have nothing to do with female athletes doing their best, it just began to frustrate me, I almost considered just not doing this all together. The "semantics" as musclepapa pointed out is only part of the problem.

Anyways, I am really not this negative. Please forgive me. I just have no one who understands any of this stuff around.

You are not being negative at all.....just stating your opinion.

As for figure being the new bodybuilding. I really hope my sisters in BB, still have a home after the dust settles. It is really not right, what is happening. Not every woman can do figure, it really takes a very specific body type to do it. One that gains muscle well and has an hourglass shape to, even while very lean. I am probably one of those woman who can go either way, but I feel that alot of woman competing in figure are there cause they are losing homes in BBing, not because they would do better in figure or even compete equally well. Like I said figure is bodybuilding, but that does not mean bbers should all switch to figure.

I started out in bodybuilding....did 3 shows then took 7 years off. Figure was the reason I started competing again b/c I liked what I was seeing in 2004-2006 and I felt the look was more suited to how I wanted to look vs. what FBB looked like when I was competing in 1999-2000. And honestly, I wouldn't have been able to compete on a Nat'l level in 99-2000 without dabbling in something, that's just a fact...So, in essence, figure was a life saver for me. But, then they did a 180 on me! And like you, I too have to re-evaluate where my physique fits in.

Keep ranting!!! Trust me, you are not the only person who's upset w/ what's been going on. I guess for me after reading about it for the last year it is what it is.

dvsness
04-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Lisa - have you picked a show?

lisaperson
04-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Lisa - have you picked a show?

I am still thinking, but I think the Delaware show (Tracey's show) Got over 17 weeks left so it is attainable. U still switching or you still going for figure? I am so excited to do this. I already started on routine. That is the best part.

fitnj
04-02-2009, 12:02 AM
It's great to see girls go to BB.
I started in BB in 2000 before figure. Took 5 years off and did figure in 05 and 06. I hope more girls go to BB. Dieting and training for figure was hard but my training and dieting for bb was much harder but much more rewarding.
You should never compare yourself to the other girls whether they are bigger or harder than you. You should come in how you look best. I hadn't squatted in 6 or 7 years,when training for figure, started up again and realized how much better my butt looks now that I am squatting again and how much better my body looks when lifting heavy.
I hope to see a good turnout of girls here in NJ. You actually get time on stage to show off your hard work and I feel the judging is easier to understand why you placed where you did. I know I won't be a pro but I want to feel good after the show and feel my hard work was recognized.

shena
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Toy_Amazon, please continue the discussion - it's nice to hear passionate words about our passion, regardless of agreement.

Have you attended the shows of different orgs? Do you agree with your coach based on what you have seen with your own eyes?

I think one of the interesting thing about the Figure change in the NPC is that several girls are doing the opposite of the original exodus - there are quite a few converters TO bodybuilding.

I agree. I'm enjoying the bouncing around of opinions and the show of passion from everyone.

dvsness
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
I am still thinking, but I think the Delaware show (Tracey's show) Got over 17 weeks left so it is attainable. U still switching or you still going for figure? I am so excited to do this. I already started on routine. That is the best part.

Still switching, no show yet.

It's great to see girls go to BB.
I started in BB in 2000 before figure. Took 5 years off and did figure in 05 and 06. I hope more girls go to BB. Dieting and training for figure was hard but my training and dieting for bb was much harder but much more rewarding.
You should never compare yourself to the other girls whether they are bigger or harder than you. You should come in how you look best. I hadn't squatted in 6 or 7 years,when training for figure, started up again and realized how much better my butt looks now that I am squatting again and how much better my body looks when lifting heavy.
I hope to see a good turnout of girls here in NJ. You actually get time on stage to show off your hard work and I feel the judging is easier to understand why you placed where you did. I know I won't be a pro but I want to feel good after the show and feel my hard work was recognized.

Any update on the AC?

crazygirlblk
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't think she is FBBer either

just because you are lean does not = BBer

I hope no one takes this as being rude...but to me...she looks like a TRUE old fashioned bodybuilder...(NOT a true..old fashioned figure competitor).

No, I am not talking about the women competing up there today...I'm talking about bodybuilding's roots...Rachel McLish..and Cory Everson...Today it seems like women HAVE to push the boundaries of size to be competitive. And while I have no problem with that....you almost HAVE to use steriods to be competitive...and I don't think that's right. BUT, I will say I have nothing but respect for all the women bodybuilders...because they bust their arses every day in the gym...and I'm not judging anyone...I think it's just important to remember that the women who really were at the forefront of this sport...and help get it off the ground...they don't very much resemble the pros today.I tried adding pics to illustrate...don't know that it worked though..LOL!

fitnj
04-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Still switching, no show yet.

Any update on the AC?

NO, Haven't found out anything on AC yet. I may just do Golds in Oct and the State show the following weekend.

ibarramedia
04-02-2009, 08:50 PM
I hope no one takes this as being rude...but to me...she looks like a TRUE old fashioned bodybuilder...(NOT a true..old fashioned figure competitor).

No, I am not talking about the women competing up there today...I'm talking about bodybuilding's roots...Rachel McLish..and Cory Everson...Today it seems like women HAVE to push the boundaries of size to be competitive. And while I have no problem with that....you almost HAVE to use steriods to be competitive...and I don't think that's right. BUT, I will say I have nothing but respect for all the women bodybuilders...because they bust their arses every day in the gym...and I'm not judging anyone...I think it's just important to remember that the women who really were at the forefront of this sport...and help get it off the ground...they don't very much resemble the pros today.I tried adding pics to illustrate...don't know that it worked though..LOL!

The cory pic is after her competitive days. Here are some of her more muscular images:

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/sf8705xcoryeverson.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/sf8510xcoryeverson.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/213885.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/15857.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/15465_pcd1068_ce12.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/everson-mclish.jpg
With Rachel Mclish

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/Cory-Everson-268.jpg

crazygirlblk
04-02-2009, 09:32 PM
The cory pic is after her competitive days. Here are some of her more muscular images:

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/sf8705xcoryeverson.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/sf8510xcoryeverson.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/213885.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/15857.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/15465_pcd1068_ce12.jpg

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/everson-mclish.jpg
With Rachel Mclish

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp360/ibarramedia1/Cory%20Everson/Cory-Everson-268.jpg

Any which way...they are both effi AWESOME! But...even in her earlier comeptition pics, she's still smaller than those winning (at the pro level)...although she could kind of be the transitional person...looking at the pics either way...that kind of steered it in that direction. Rachel is still my fave...and she'd def. be a figure competitor if competing now.