PDA

View Full Version : Kate Baird ---> Road to the 2008 NPC Masters Nationals! *She'll not be competing at the Masters*

Siouxcountry
04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Kate is poster PowerGoddess.

She will be competing at this year's NPC Masters National Championships! :cool:

Kate's Blog:

LINK (http://de-apf.blogspot.com/2008/03/and-so-it-begins.html)

I began my contest diet - 16 weeks out....wayyyyyyy early for me, I know. I told my prepper that I would do everything he said, and when we assess in the next couple of weeks we can adjust. I'm not sure he believed me when I told him that I can lose weight very quickly. I can, and I will, and I'm sure that we will be adjusting some things, but if I was ging to listen to myself I wouldn't have hired somebody to guide me! I do trust him.

Sunday morning scale - read 176.4 unclothed.

The pix are after Friday evening's workout.

What a porcine looking creature, yes?

Now that I'm finally in the "big" category...I'm not so sure I like what I see... I think my favorite size of me is in the 150's somewhere. That's look and comfort levels I refer to. But...I'm wearing this size to the Masters. Anyhooo - I am thrilled to be on a diet, so I can perhaps feel a bit more streamlined, rather than feeling like a linebacker.

IslandGirl
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Holy Smokes! Kate holds a ton of muscle! WOW!!!

Good luck!

SBT
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah you do got some great muscles, looking forward to seeing pics along the cut! :D

Shelly
04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
wow her lats are HUGE!!

good luck Kate!:)

ripitupbaby
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
WOW! Kate's looking ready to rock and roll this year! I can't wait to see how she turns out. Masters Nats will be a great show, and a good choice for her too!

Best of luck to her!!

:awesome:

Siouxcountry
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Kate last competed at the 2007 NPC Masters National Championships...

7th in the light heavyweight (35+)...

LINK (http://www.musculardevelopment.com/browse/index.php?mode=browse&id=9183&eventcode=1139)

ISABELLE TURELL
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Kate is poster PowerGoddess.

She will be competing at this year's NPC Masters National Championships! :cool:

Kate's Blog:

LINK (http://de-apf.blogspot.com/2008/03/and-so-it-begins.html)

Check out Kates phytons:flex:. She looks great. I wish her the best of luck at Masters Nationals.

Powergoddess
04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
EGAAADS!!! It is me! :o

Hey, thanks everybody~ I appreciate the kind words and encouragement, especially coming from ladies that I admire. I believe I will be ready to rock and roll come July 19th!!! I have a new contest prepper, and so I have a whole new enthusiasm coming into this show.
16 weeks out is about 6 weeks earlier than I have started dieting before for shows, so this should prove to be very interesting... though I have actually looked forward to dieting for a long time - I actually kind of enjoy the process... (yes, I am a sicko). :nuts: I'm predicting weighing in at about 155.

The hardest part for me will be adapting to the cardio - I haven't done any cardio in years, not even for a show. I do take walks frequently, but real cardio - nope. In fact, right this minute I am stalling big time by posting away on this board, as right now is time for that friggin' cardio stuff....

TTTG
04-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Hey Kate! Best wishes for masters. Lookin good in the pics. I'll have to check out your blog. Have not been over there in some time. Any yes IT..Kate has got some MAJOR Guns!!

Mightymouse
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
EGAAADS!!! It is me! :o

Hey, thanks everybody~ I appreciate the kind words and encouragement, especially coming from ladies that I admire. I believe I will be ready to rock and roll come July 19th!!! I have a new contest prepper, and so I have a whole new enthusiasm coming into this show.
16 weeks out is about 6 weeks earlier than I have started dieting before for shows, so this should prove to be very interesting... though I have actually looked forward to dieting for a long time - I actually kind of enjoy the process... (yes, I am a sicko). :nuts: I'm predicting weighing in at about 155.

The hardest part for me will be adapting to the cardio - I haven't done any cardio in years, not even for a show. I do take walks frequently, but real cardio - nope. In fact, right this minute I am stalling big time by posting away on this board, as right now is time for that friggin' cardio stuff....

Hiya Kate, I like prepping too, so I guess that makes sicko too :nuts:

Best of luck with prep and training, and I will see you at the show.

Claire

Lisa E
04-03-2008, 03:42 AM
Good luck Kate!

scottnva
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
hey kate :waving: good luck to ya cant wait to see ya in Pitt!

Ondrea
04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Hi kate! Good luck on your prep! You will look amazing when you diet down...you already look amazing in your 16 week pics!

Siouxcountry
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi kate! Good luck on your prep! You will look amazing when you diet down...you already look amazing in your 16 week pics!

Indeed, we will see the best Kate has ever looked in 16 weeks! :cool:

Powergoddess
04-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Younz are all getting me psyched up and motivated!Thanks for the encouragement!!!
I have already lost 4 pounds in 4 and a half days...
I saw the suggestion of a vein poking through my bicep this evening at the gym!
I wasn't able to do my cardio this evening as prescribed...I'm not too upset about it (though my prepper might be! ). I have ongoing some leg pain issues, I'll elaborate on that in a later post, but after squatting the other night it quite feels like someone beat the sides of my legs with a hammer, especially the left leg. Aggravating it further would not be conducive to anything good.

~ Somewhat toying with doing a power meet in a few weeks, bench press only, while my strength levels are still up...TOYING with the idea, not commited to it, we'll see ... :p

dvsness
04-04-2008, 12:28 AM
I totally get you - I can't wait to start my prep and peel some weight off.

Define 'real cardio' - what is in store for you?

Powergoddess
04-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Started my diet at 176.4 last Sunday - today, one week later I weigh in at 168.4 - Exactly 8 pounds lighter. I've never lost that much in 1 week before.

Had a bit of trouble with the leg pain issue again.

Powergoddess
04-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Started my diet at 176.4 last Sunday - today, one week later I weigh in at 168.4 - Exactly 8 pounds lighter. I've never lost that much in 1 week before.

Had a bit of trouble with the leg pain issue again. Compartmentalization - if you know what that is... and it sucks, big time. Squatting deeply aggravates it tremendously. And I squatted on Monday, deep, so I take responsibility on causing myself the pain.

'Real cardio'... something that up the heart rate significantly.

Siouxcountry
04-06-2008, 06:05 PM

WOW That is a lot in one week. And you can see the difference in the photos.

If this keeps up he'll be adding quite a few cheat meals, eh?

TomNine
04-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Kate is all about intensity. I'm looking forward to following her progress this year and seeing what she brings to the stage.

Something from autumn 2006:

PrESBihI20s

ibarramedia
04-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Kate is all about intensity. I'm looking forward to following her progress this year and seeing what she brings to the stage.

Something from autumn 2006:

PrESBihI20s

Agreed. I also like the combination of FBB/Powerlifter. Much respect to Kate.

Ondrea
04-07-2008, 04:26 AM
Wow, what a start to your prep...8 lbs! I'm excited to see the end result in 15 weeks!!!

SBT
04-07-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm also looking forward to seeing how this turns out ;) Good job!!

ripitupbaby
04-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Had a bit of trouble with the leg pain issue again. Compartmentalization - if you know what that is... and it sucks, big time. Squatting deeply aggravates it tremendously. And I squatted on Monday, deep, so I take responsibility on causing myself the pain.

'Real cardio'... something that up the heart rate significantly.

Awesome progress...holy cow! I LOVE the fact that you are still going hard and heavy...and I hope you can keep it up through your prep. Take care of the leg pain though...I hope you stay healthy and injury-free through your prep! I imagine it gets harder as the prep goes on, the diet intensifies, and the cardio gets less tolerable. Stay strong!

I also LOVE the idea that you are toying with a PL meet! ;)

Shelly
04-07-2008, 04:03 PM
wow kate what difference in a week!

Props to you!!

IslandGirl
04-08-2008, 02:23 AM
You're off to a great start Kate! Thanks for inspiring me!

Betsy
04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
You look great--!! :respect:

Powergoddess
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM
WOW That is a lot in one week. And you can see the difference in the photos.

If this keeps up he'll be adding quite a few cheat meals, eh?

My philosophy is, if they are planned, then they can't be "cheat" meals... so, always plan your feasts and pig-outs!

I'm sure we'll be adding some calories back in the next coming weeks, but as I stated before, this is a new prepper for me, and I'm doing things completely different this go 'round, and I told him that I am his lump of clay - no second guessing, no disputing, just trust...

Thanks everybody, it certainly helps the kickstarter to read/hear all of the encouragement. I can actually see my abs poking through this morning already.
Besides my 20 minutes of cardio last evening, I didn't even train - physically I'm so battered and bashed up that I need to break for a couple of days - rest and recover so I can batter and bash myself some more!

ISABELLE TURELL
04-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Eyes on the prize KATE. 1st place all the way!!!!!!!!!

http://planetsmilies.net/sport-smiley-5537.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

ISABELLE TURELL
04-11-2008, 02:53 AM
okay I just saw some pictures of you on APT and I just want to say WOW:respect:

I hope your doing well. Talk to you soon

Siouxcountry
04-11-2008, 03:16 AM
okay I just saw some pictures of you on APT and I just want to say WOW:respect:

I hope your doing well. Talk to you soon

What is APT? Besides apartment. :D

ISABELLE TURELL
04-11-2008, 03:19 AM
LOL

APT Pro Gear
prowristwraps.com

she has a bio and some awesome pictures on there.:)

Siouxcountry
04-11-2008, 03:26 AM
LOL

APT Pro Gear
prowristwraps.com

she has a bio and some awesome pictures on there.:)

Cool! :cool:

CLICK HERE (http://www.prowriststraps.com/kate_baird_bodybuilder_powerlifter)

Powergoddess
04-11-2008, 08:09 PM
APT PROWRISTSTRAPS!!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I cannot say enough good things about Alan P. Thomas - not only does he sponsor me personally and all of the powerlifting meets that I produce, but he is such a major supporter of the powerlifting and bodybuilding industries worldwide.:respect: If you ever need wraps, straps, belts, gear, etc.
please patronize the man who gives so much to the iron sports.
And his merchandise is top quality.
www.Prowriststraps.com.

Yes, that's me rowing the 170 - I just looove the BIG iron!

Siouxcountry
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
When was that second pic taken?

Powergoddess
04-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I think that was about 3 weeks after the 2006 Nationals... yes, I was there, but completely overlooked... my conditioning was pretty good then, though I probably could have been a couple of pounds leaner. They were going for a much fuller, albeit "wetter" look in the heavies at that show, the reason we backed off my conditioning for the Masters last year...where they went for, you guessed it, conditioning...
Live and learn. This go round I will be shredded.

ISABELLE TURELL
04-22-2008, 12:34 AM
How is your prep going powergoddess?

Powergoddess
04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
well.....I'm 14 pounds lighter in 3 and a half weeks. I need to adjust that or I'll wind up as a middleweight or lightweight come July 19th... I've also had some problems with my blood sugar issues, and had to adjust my carbohydrate intake also, lest I wind up on death's door come July 19th. I swore to my prepper I'd adhere to his guidelines, but it's not working, so I'm going back to what I know works for me. I can't confer with him right now, as he is on his honeymoon!
It was kind of rough for a couple of weeks, but with my adjustments, I feel much, much better.
Physique-wise the appropriate changes are happening - leg separations are coming in, I even see the striations in the quads starting to appear! My abs are showing.
If anyone has heard me speak of the muscle compartmentalization issue in my thighs (Compartment Syndrome)- I am pleased to say that it has dissipated somewhat now that I am at a lighter weight. That is the best thing that has happened so far!
Anyhoooo - it is going to be a long 12 and a half weeks, I fear...

Siouxcountry
04-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the update, Kate! :)

I am happy to hear your legs are feeling better. Can you tell us more about Compartment Syndrome?

well.....I'm 14 pounds lighter in 3 and a half weeks. I need to adjust that or I'll wind up as a middleweight or lightweight come July 19th... I've also had some problems with my blood sugar issues, and had to adjust my carbohydrate intake also, lest I wind up on death's door come July 19th. I swore to my prepper I'd adhere to his guidelines, but it's not working, so I'm going back to what I know works for me. I can't confer with him right now, as he is on his honeymoon!
It was kind of rough for a couple of weeks, but with my adjustments, I feel much, much better.
Physique-wise the appropriate changes are happening - leg separations are coming in, I even see the striations in the quads starting to appear! My abs are showing.
If anyone has heard me speak of the muscle compartmentalization issue in my thighs (Compartment Syndrome)- I am pleased to say that it has dissipated somewhat now that I am at a lighter weight. That is the best thing that has happened so far!
Anyhoooo - it is going to be a long 12 and a half weeks, I fear...

ripitupbaby
04-25-2008, 11:05 AM

:shocked: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Stay strong Kate!

wildangel
04-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Hey Kate!!
Best of luck to you at the Masters this yr! i did that show twice and love the entire weekend...the location the hotel ect...ENJOY the Journey!!
Keep us posted!! Glad to hear your legs are much better!!! How tall are you??
xoxo

Powergoddess
04-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the update, Kate! :)

I am happy to hear your legs are feeling better. Can you tell us more about Compartment Syndrome?

This condition can be acute or chronic. In a nutshell, Compartment Syndrome is when the muscle gets too big for the sheath(fascia) that contains it - this causes pain and pressure.
Acute is generally caused by an accident or such, and can be life threatening.
Chronic is generally exercise induced, which is what I experience. "Anterior Compartment Syndrome" is most frequently seen in runners in the lower leg, but Compartment Syndrome can happen anywhere in the leg or arms.
When I get up into the high 160's and over 170 lbs. is when this occurs in my mid-outer thighs. When you touch my legs it feels like concrete, it gets so tight. Any exercise that requires me to bend my knees excessively is excruciating, if not impossible to do. If you are familiar with me, you know my love of powerlifting. This condition has made squatting all but impossible when I am that heavy. Last time I squatted I walked around for a week and a half feeling like the sides of my legs were sprained. That makes sense, as a sprain is the overstretching of soft tissues. It sucks - as a powerlifter I guess I am relegated to the 165 lb. class or under forevermore.

Coming down in weight has definitely alleviated most of the discomfort. I was able to sissy squat the other night, which absolutely thrilled me! I haven't been able to do those in about 8 months or so.

Vicki, I am 5'4 1/2" - am told I "photograph taller"....

domie13
04-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow!! You are absolutely amazing! :respect:

I'm glad your legs are feeling better. Enjoy your prep.

Siouxcountry
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks, Kate! I wonder why this doesn't happen to more people?

I'm happy to hear it is getting better. :)

You know I thought you were tall too. I thought maybe 5' 9".

This condition can be acute or chronic. In a nutshell, Compartment Syndrome is when the muscle gets too big for the sheath(fascia) that contains it - this causes pain and pressure.
Acute is generally caused by an accident or such, and can be life threatening.
Chronic is generally exercise induced, which is what I experience. "Anterior Compartment Syndrome" is most frequently seen in runners in the lower leg, but Compartment Syndrome can happen anywhere in the leg or arms.
When I get up into the high 160's and over 170 lbs. is when this occurs in my mid-outer thighs. When you touch my legs it feels like concrete, it gets so tight. Any exercise that requires me to bend my knees excessively is excruciating, if not impossible to do. If you are familiar with me, you know my love of powerlifting. This condition has made squatting all but impossible when I am that heavy. Last time I squatted I walked around for a week and a half feeling like the sides of my legs were sprained. That makes sense, as a sprain is the overstretching of soft tissues. It sucks - as a powerlifter I guess I am relegated to the 165 lb. class or under forevermore.

Coming down in weight has definitely alleviated most of the discomfort. I was able to sissy squat the other night, which absolutely thrilled me! I haven't been able to do those in about 8 months or so.

Vicki, I am 5'4 1/2" - am told I "photograph taller"....

Siouxcountry
05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Kate has chose not to compete at the Masters.

LINK (http://de-apf.blogspot.com/2008/05/where-is-kate.html)

OK- the longer I put this off the harder it gets...so here is my announcement. I've wrestled with this on and off for quite some time, but the past few weeks I just had to come to grips with this -

I am NOT doing the Masters Nationals this year. There are, in reality, several reasons, but let's just go with the most important one - my heart wasn't into it. My heart is on the lifting platform. I spent the last year focusing primarily on bodybuilding. I went 4 1/2 weeks into official contest prep mode, lost 17 pounds, ordered my suits, picked a song to pose to - but it just wasn't happening deep in my soul....

I made the final decision a week ago, but thought that I would be probably be changing my mind, (again) or at least feel regretful in some way. But no- I feel less so much less burdended. I feel I made the absolute right decision. I feel very HAPPY, almost ecstatic I made this decision. It is like finding an old friend you have missed for awhile because you had to go away. Powerlifting is a whole different mind set than bodybuilding. One I am more mentally suited for, and more physically suited for, indeed.

I do have some ground to make up for from following a different plan over the past year, but I'll get it back - I guarantee you. I am not considering this a waste of time. I have learned many things over the past year, mentally as well as physicaly. There have been some lows, but my spirit prevails and I squeeze out what I can to take a lesson out of everything to continue on to better things. Of course there were some highs, too!

I still have some whittling back down in size to do because of the Compartment Syndrome in my legs - it has lessened to a certain degree now that I weigh 160. The searing pain is gone, but as last night's squatting proved - there is still a major tightness, very uncomfortable, still soreness,running along my outer thighs. You may see me back in the 148's next year. Whatever the case - you will see me on the platform. And I believe I know when the next time will be already ----but I'll wait a few more weeks before announcing that.

Delaware Power Classic is this coming Saturday - I am so psyched up! It is going to be another great event!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic group of people coming together to lift, to help spot/load, judge, everything looks just right for a good day at The Training Center to heave around some iron. Or, as my son Slater puts it, picking up heavy random bars with big circles on the end.

Powergoddess
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi all - I didn't mean to just disappear. I was so busy the last few weeks - being a Realtor these days I guess that is good, but I was also focused on one of the annual powerlifting meets that I produce - The APA Delaware Power Classic, which was held this past Saturday. It turned out to be another great day of lifting at The Training Center in New Castle DE.

There were several factors that went into the decision I made, but I give you the most important one - my heart and passion truly lie on the lifting platform. Being the DE State APA Chairperson, producing now 3 annual powerlifting meets, hanging out with powerlifters - I am always somewhere focused in on the sport.

My prep for the Masters was going well as far as how I looked. In fact, I ran into my prepper Friday who said that with only 10 weeks to go, I was so far ahead of where he thought I would be I still had time to get back into the game for the Masters, and then some. I had some trouble with blood sugars, but I made adjustments where I thought necessary, and I was beginning to feel better.

ANyhoo - my thoughts are to compete on the platform in one way or another this summer, but I've got some ground to make up for with this past year spent focused on bodybuilding. I will recover, and I will succeed.

Of course, I still love bodybuilding so I will be lurking around this board from time to time! If Sioux allows me I'll keep a powerlifter's journal on this board and keep you posted on my progress.

As far as the Masters - of course Michelle Neil is going to the force to reckon with if she does indeed compete in Pittsburgh, but my favorite is going to be Marlene Churchill-Wolverton.

Siouxcountry
05-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Kate absolutely, we'd love to read about your powerlifting this year and beyond. :)

And welcome back. :respect: