PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Orange County

BETTINA
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
I attended the 2009 OC Classic for the specific purpose of seeing the womens bb contestants. In the past, OC has had a high quality of competitors, with a closely contested finish. Two ladies of dubious qualifications for even being in a fbb contest, were on stage for prejudging no longer thatn 10 minutes. There was no announcemnt that fbb would be on after the men, and if you went to the restroom too long, you missed the entire fbb prejudging. Of course they were followed by the usual figure types, who all looked the same, except for hair color, and looked as if they just walked by the weights in the gym, took a look at the machines, and went straight to the treadmill.
What the hell has happened to womens' bb? I was sitting next to a guy who drove 80 miles, just to see the fbb contest, paid $25 bucks, and got 10 minutes of two no-physique women, who, if their trainers were honest with them, would have told each of them to stay home and train more for next year. It is a travesty that the winner now qualifies for the USA and Nationals.
:banghead:

Lisa E
04-26-2009, 06:26 PM
I was present at the OC. I do agree that the fbb ladies received no intro and I was caught off guard that they were onstage.

As for the numbers of entrants, well, we all know that sometimes people enter and sometimes numbers are just down. I never really figured that one out myself. The winner is qualified to compete at the Nationals. She was present to compete at a national qualifying contest and therefore has earned her right to go to the Nationals. How she will fair in that arena is another competition and another story.

JasonLannigan
04-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I attended the 2009 OC Classic for the specific purpose of seeing the womens bb contestants. In the past, OC has had a high quality of competitors, with a closely contested finish. Two ladies of dubious qualifications for even being in a fbb contest, were on stage for prejudging no longer thatn 10 minutes. There was no announcemnt that fbb would be on after the men, and if you went to the restroom too long, you missed the entire fbb prejudging. Of course they were followed by the usual figure types, who all looked the same, except for hair color, and looked as if they just walked by the weights in the gym, took a look at the machines, and went straight to the treadmill.
What the hell has happened to womens' bb? I was sitting next to a guy who drove 80 miles, just to see the fbb contest, paid $25 bucks, and got 10 minutes of two no-physique women, who, if their trainers were honest with them, would have told each of them to stay home and train more for next year. It is a travesty that the winner now qualifies for the USA and Nationals.
:banghead:

I'm aware you don't care for figure and you believe women who compete in bodybuilding do not get the respect they deserve.

Please don't use this board to put down women who compete in figure. We support all divisions here. :)

Women's bodybuilding has been struggling for years at the local level.

The question is how do you get more women to compete in local shows? The more who compete, the more impressive the winner will be.

Danitza
04-27-2009, 04:16 AM
No offense to mikeylikes but I was one of those "figure types" that competed yesterday at the OC Classic and I can GUARANTEE you I do more than just walk past the weights at the gym. I am a mom of two who gets up at 4am in the morning every day to get in my cardio and weight workout and we deserve just as many accolades as the FBB'ers who compete.

As far as why the numbers are down...you can't blame the promoter of the show on that. Yes, you can complain that they over charge for tickets...or that they didn't properly introduce the FBB'ers....but the FBB'ers who participate are the only ones who can bring the numbers up on participation at any given show.

BETTINA
04-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I want to apologize to anyone I offended from my post of the fbb portion of the OC contest. It was written while I was still angry at the way the fbbs were presented and the poor showing in numbers and quality. I am learning to appreciate what the figure competitors have to do to compete, mostly from this forum, and I will tone down my rants, and appreciate and enjoy the ladies, for what they bring to the stage. I just do not want female bodybuilding to die at the local level. This is where the next USA and National champion starts.

Lisa E
04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you for your statement, I am sure that it will be well received by all.

Female athletes of all divisions are here to stay. The numbers will come up at the local level. I think it is just that we are in the slump of hard times right now and this too shall pass.

The ladies of FBB, there are gorgeous and I am sure that can speak for us all that they will always be around to grace the stage!!!

Danitza
04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I echo Dr. Barbie. I would love to see the number of female competitors increase. Whether it's Figure or BB....I don't play favorites. I'm just all for female competitors getting out there and doing there thing! ;)

Thanks Mikey.