PDA

View Full Version : Over-The-Counter Pain Killers Increase Muscle Mass

Siouxcountry
04-09-2008, 11:01 PM
BodybuildingWeekly.com:

Taking daily recommended dosages of ibuprofen and acetaminophen caused a substantially greater increase over placebo in the amount of quadriceps muscle mass and muscle strength gained during three months of regular weight lifting, in a study by physiologists at the Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University.More HERE (http://www.bodybuildingweekly.com/index.php?news=349).

SBT
04-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Thats interesting... because I think a few years back I read an article saying just the opposite :shrug:

Lisa E
04-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Oh. I heard this just today on the news. I take it all the time for any ache or pain. Maybe I should stop.

Suzanne
04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Thats interesting... because I think a few years back I read an article saying just the opposite :shrug:

me too, i have even been trying to avoid taking it

but if this is true bring on the alleve and naproxin!

fitmomma3
04-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Thats interesting... because I think a few years back I read an article saying just the opposite :shrug:Same here I've always heard it hinders... :confused:

Shelly
04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
better start poppin my ibprophen ;)

KristineLarge
04-10-2008, 04:24 PM
BodybuildingWeekly.com:

More HERE (http://www.bodybuildingweekly.com/index.php?news=349).

I've also heard that it's a bad thing for growth because the anti-inflammatory action makes it harder for your body to recover properly. BUT...even if it comes out that they helpw ith growth, be careful about taking anti-inflammatories...If you take high doses too often you could end up with some serious stomach problems (ulcer!). Always take them with food!

dvsness
04-10-2008, 04:51 PM
That's a crap study. It's done on the elderly. Taking Tylenol probably just made it hurt less when they were exercising, so they could exercise better thus the better gains.

I don't imagine someone in their prime would have the same results.

dvsness
04-10-2008, 04:57 PM
36 people? This sample size is too small to definitively say ANYTHING.

While they don't publish the alpha and beta values in the study, nor the confidence intervals, it's safe to say due to the small sample size and a lot of confounding variables that the results are not statistically significant.

Also, NSAIDs inhibit COX-2, a key component in the inflammatory response to injury (which leads to your body repairing the damaged tissue). So this also doesn't make a lot of sense from a physiologic standpoint.

So basically, unless you're a 60 to 78 year old who exercises for 15 to 20 minutes a day, I'd hold off on popping the IBU's just yet. This study proves nothing.

Siouxcountry
04-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Good points, Ms Mod! :respect:

KristineLarge
04-10-2008, 09:06 PM
36 people? This sample size is too small to definitively say ANYTHING.

While they don't publish the alpha and beta values in the study, nor the confidence intervals, it's safe to say due to the small sample size and a lot of confounding variables that the results are not statistically significant.

Also, NSAIDs inhibit COX-2, a key component in the inflammatory response to injury (which leads to your body repairing the damaged tissue). So this also doesn't make a lot of sense from a physiologic standpoint.

So basically, unless you're a 60 to 78 year old who exercises for 15 to 20 minutes a day, I'd hold off on popping the IBU's just yet. This study proves nothing.

Very good! I didn't look at the actual study, but it's glad to see that you're doing your own investigating!

Melissa Dettwiller
04-11-2008, 02:42 AM
ok....wait...my hubby says...(i'm trying to type what he says, lol....hold on) that "the inflammatory (sp?) response is necessary for proper repair, etc. and that taking over the counter nsaids or even TOO MUCH fish oil can begin to negate this." basically the inflamation is needed to "tell" your body to fix itself, that taking all kinds of anti-inflamatories is messing that up, is how i understand this.

ibarramedia
04-11-2008, 06:22 PM
ok....wait...my hubby says...(i'm trying to type what he says, lol....hold on) that "the inflammatory (sp?) response is necessary for proper repair, etc. and that taking over the counter nsaids or even TOO MUCH fish oil can begin to negate this." basically the inflamation is needed to "tell" your body to fix itself, that taking all kinds of anti-inflamatories is messing that up, is how i understand this.

Too much fish oil is bad? I know fish oil is good for the heart.

Suzanne
04-11-2008, 06:26 PM

man damn catch 22 i supposed to take the anti-infalmmatorys for tendonitis in delts and right elbow or i can't even press 10lb dbs sometimes but then it f-s up my growth

:banghead:

luckily i rarely take them since i thought it would interfere with my progress

dvsness
04-11-2008, 06:54 PM

Correct, which is why people supplement with things like Arachodonic Acid, as it is a pro-inflammatory. Too much fish oil is also dangerous because it thins your blood. If you have an accident you can bleed out. Like most things, moderation is key. If you need to take NSAIDs for pre-existing medical issues by all means do.

ibarramedia
04-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Correct, which is why people supplement with things like Arachodonic Acid, as it is a pro-inflammatory. Too much fish oil is also dangerous because it thins your blood. If you have an accident you can bleed out. Like most things, moderation is key. If you need to take NSAIDs for pre-existing medical issues by all means do.

Yikes, No wonder the nosebleeds lately despite my now low sodium intake.:confused::banghead:

Melissa Dettwiller
04-12-2008, 08:55 PM
man damn catch 22 i supposed to take the anti-infalmmatorys for tendonitis in delts and right elbow or i can't even press 10lb dbs sometimes but then it f-s up my growth

:banghead:

luckily i rarely take them since i thought it would interfere with my progress
yep...i know. my hubby's left knee and shoulder are TRASHED and he won't take anything to reduce the pain. he's afraid if it DOESNT hurt he'll wind up making it worse than if he just carefully trains thru it.

kip
04-13-2008, 01:30 AM
That's a crap study. It's done on the elderly. Taking Tylenol probably just made it hurt less when they were exercising, so they could exercise better thus the better gains.

I don't imagine someone in their prime would have the same results.

EXACTLY ... what an ill suited and totally flawed study ... tards

now show me a study on 20-30 year old men and women that already train, you know, for like more than "15-20 minute sessions conducted ... three times per week"

they didn't even mention how much? 1% more, which is statistically insignificant, is also "more" ... aspirin may have health benefits for some, but naproxen and ibuprofen specifically can be rough on the liver

use some discernment folks

and here's a novel idea, take your pain killer of choice if, you know, you have some pain

Lisa
04-14-2008, 06:06 AM
:shrug:I have read in several places that NSAID inhibit muscle growth....I would not want to take Tylenol because of the liver issues with it

Suzanne
04-14-2008, 01:03 PM
yep...i know. my hubby's left knee and shoulder are TRASHED and he won't take anything to reduce the pain. he's afraid if it DOESNT hurt he'll wind up making it worse than if he just carefully trains thru it.

When lifting I worked around the pain choosing exercises that didn't aggravate. I don't find the nsaid take away the pain.

WillBrink
04-22-2008, 01:03 PM
BodybuildingWeekly.com:

More HERE (http://www.bodybuildingweekly.com/index.php?news=349).

The money quote from this report:

"Thirty-six men and women, between 60 and 78 years of age"

It's an interesting study, but I would not run out and start popping the stuff yet as an anabolic. These OTC drugs also cause liver stress and liver failure, so they are not without risk.

Deserusan
05-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I wasn't a real fan of this study, especially since it wasn't peer reviewed before making the rounds in the media.

There was a recent presentation at the American Physiological Society, that cited certain OTC painkillers such as “ibuprofen and acetaminophen caused a substantially greater increase over placebo in the amount of quadriceps muscle mass and muscle strength gained during three months of regular weight lifting.” To the typical meathead this seems like a “wow bro” opportunity to get excited about but is a bit appalling to me.
I’d like to see the actual study including exercise protocol, caloric intake, etc. What concerns me about “reports” like this is that they aren’t peer reviewed or accepted for publications. It created a buzz in the medical community and probably support from OTC pharma hence the reason it was released in a sensationalistic manner.

NSAID’s which are indiscriminant to either the COX I or COX II pathway can cause numerous pathogolies related to the GI tract, kidneys, and the circulatory system. Even the “next gen” COX-2 selective inhibitors were shown to double the risk of heart attacks. Saying these help build muscle when they most likely gave these to untrained elderly who most likely have elevated inflammatory markers due to age alone is terribly disgusting. Talk about a “doctored” study. I’m sure the study participants were also not aware that analgesics like acetominophen is the leading cause of acute liver toxicity with over 56,000 reported cases per annum.

Don’t get me wrong, there is a time and place for OTC NSAID’s like Advil and or analgesics like Tylenol. However, those who are taking them chronically are fools and the people responsible for publishing this article should have their heads examined because it was not released to the public in a responsible manner. You’ll notice that no relevant clinical safety markers were addressed in this press release. I’d love to see how their kidney’s were functioning or if they did before and after endoscopy to check for any ulcers that may have developed.

What’s sad is the FDA lets claims like this go unchecked but a supplement manufacturer can’t say fish oil will help in certain areas of clinically diagnosed depression despite hundreds of studies to supporting this non-prescription approach to treatment. They seem more concerned with corporate profitability than truly what is best for the American people. Anyone remember Vioxx or Fen-Phen? Those worked out well until over 150,000 product liability cases were filed and the list keeps growing. The next "study" we’ll see published is that cigarettes are great for weight loss. It’s true and they really are, especially when they give you cancer or when you are on a calorie restricted diet while on a ventilator.

In all fairness I did e-mail Dr. Carroll about the actual data which lead to the conclusions presented to the APS. He couldn't provide because it had not yet been peer reviewed and was therefore "hush hush."

Siouxcountry
05-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Long time no see, Dan! Welcome aboard! :waving:

Shawn
05-04-2008, 11:34 AM
...but I would not run out and start popping the stuff yet as an anabolic. These OTC drugs also cause liver stress and liver failure, so they are not without risk.

Great points. Also there was a report about how many deaths were linked to ibuprofen alone. It was a staggering amount that I am show the mainstream has no idea about...nor will our brave congressmen need to have some hearings and grandstand over. :rolleyes:

dvsness
05-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Long time no see, Dan! Welcome aboard! :waving:

Can I ban my first member? :waving:

Siouxcountry
05-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Can I ban my first member? :waving:

You sure can! :p

SBT
05-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Bout time Dan, :welcome:

Deserusan