PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Act

Alli
04-10-2008, 04:30 AM
So it's late (12:28 a.m to be exact and I am having a cheat moment (Ben and Jerry's coffee heath bar crunch hehe) and I got to thinking about how much we, as competitors juggle in our daily lives. I was wondering HOW you balance your daily life with your life in the fitness industry. How do relationships, friendships, work, and life all factor into gym time, board time, mypace time, emails, dieting, running a website ( if you do) etc?? What works for you to help you balance YOUR life with your life as a competitor?

SBT
04-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Well glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed some Ben and Jerry's tonight, I had Dublin Mudslide, but the one you had is my all time FAVORITE :awesome:

Hmmm that is a great question, it seems its a lot EASIER to do in the off-season just because not so much if any cardio taking up all your time, but it can still be difficult and I at times have problems with it too :)

I guess what works for me, is living with the one true friend I have around here, texting or chatting on my cell, and then doing all that while sitting here at my comp checking the boards, my e-mail, or myspace!

buffbabeGA
04-10-2008, 04:35 AM
my way of keeping balance is keep communication with the people in my life... loved ones , family, etc. i am lucky that my boyfriend is OCD about gettin in his workouts and he's a competitive bber so he fully supports my eating habits. As for board time , we have our own laptops so its funny to see us when we get home.. and eat and surf the net together lol

ripitupbaby
04-10-2008, 10:27 AM
In some ways, contest prep helps me feel like i have more balance because it puts me on such a strict schedule and routine. Sometimes when i get into the off-season, I feel lost and like things are a bit out of control. That sounds weird, but it does happen.

It's still hard to balance everything in terms of work, training, food prep, etc. but I feel more in control when I know exactly what i have to do and when I have to do it. It's a matter of prioritizing...and when it comes to contest prep, work gets done first (and as quickly as possible) and then gym time and food prep are next.

OH and of course my husband always comes first in terms of other priorities lol.

DanielleA
04-10-2008, 01:27 PM
I think having a set schedule and routine helps take a lot of pressure off of us. For example, even though it SUX to wake up at 5am and cardio when it's 10 degrees out in the winter, I do it, so that my body stays used to the routine of waking up early. This way, when on-season starts, it's not too much of a shock to my system.

Luckily my coworkers are supportive and see how much hard work competing takes. I work my 10 hours behind a desk and leave without much noise (most people are hear later!). My boyfriend is supportive as well, and understands that I need to take time out to cook, measure out food, etc.

Most importantly, having a network of people like this website is a tremendous help!! People here can relate to you and empathize with what you're going through. That's really one of the things I love the most about competing - how genuinely nice everyone I have met really is!

Betsy
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
So it's late (12:28 a.m to be exact and I am having a cheat moment (Ben and Jerry's coffee heath bar crunch hehe) and I got to thinking about how much we, as competitors juggle in our daily lives. I was wondering HOW you balance your daily life with your life in the fitness industry. How do relationships, friendships, work, and life all factor into gym time, board time, mypace time, emails, dieting, running a website ( if you do) etc?? What works for you to help you balance YOUR life with your life as a competitor?

OMG i just laughed reading this because you must be my long lost twin--I ALSO just polished off my cheat of B&J coffee heath bar crunch last night!! YYUMMMMMM

Anyway-- back to topic..!! I agree with Lori when she says that dieting gives her more structure to be productive in every day life.. !! I get agida when Im not on a very strict regimented routine.. I seem to get a lot more accomplished during on season than i do when im not prepping.. Everything during prep must be scheduled and prepared for... therefore I schedule food shopping, cleaning, shopping, errands ect. in that same manner and I think I get a lot more done then when im just sittin on my fat arse during the winter.. bc in the winter.. i dont want to do ANYTHING!!

ALSO-- i try to surround myself with people who understand what I am doing.. and support me. My fiance is also a competitior, my sis is my training partner, and most of my girlfriends are also competitors whom i have met on my path of competing.. so everything aligns together to make prep quite EASY!!

Shelly
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
my turn to pipe in!

The only way I can describe me while dieting is like the energizer bunny! I am NON STOP and get A LOT more done than I do now while im fluffy and lazy LOL

Once you get into that routine Im able to work more eifficently (excluding the last feq weeks where my brain is s l o w ) But everything just gets done. laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc...its odd how that happens, but it just does.

as far as my social life goes, I prep with my twinny, and my man, and about 6 others all at the same time. So life never gets boring...and i am constantly surrounded by support.

and of course this lovely board will occupy my prep time as well... it keeps me SANE ;)

Alli
04-10-2008, 11:10 PM
OMG i just laughed reading this because you must be my long lost twin--I ALSO just polished off my cheat of B&J coffee heath bar crunch last night!! YYUMMMMMM
That's too funny. Here I was going to feel bad admitting to my B&J cheat and two other ladies indulged the same PHEW!

Alli
04-10-2008, 11:19 PM
Guess it's my turn to respond to my own question lol.

I too feel I have better focus and balance in my daily life when I'm dieting and prepping for a show then when I'm in my off season. I feel that the discipline, diligence, and time management it takes to prep for a show melts into the other areas of my life and I have better overall focus. For whatever insane reason dieting doesn't really bother me. I think it drives me to work harder.....

I have to admit I'm not always the best with organizing my time and managing EVERYTHING I have to do. At times its a struggle to balance running my website with posting on here, working, and spending time with friends and family. It really helps that Josh is a gym a holic too and is pretty stringent about getting his workouts in. We train together the majority of the week which helps too- he's a pusher and he has drastically helped improve my chest and back this off season. When I don't train with Josh I usually am training with my trainer/coach who is also a constant source of support. He has strong beliefs in my abilities as a competitor and that type of person in your life is always a focus and encouragement.

I don't have a lot of girlfriends around here who train so I feel that's a bit of a hindrance. My girlfriends are mimics of "the hills" lol, they're at work and if they're not at work they're out to eat, and if they're not doing that, they're out. Makes my relationships with them challenging to sustain at times- BUT my best friend was front and center with her vocal chords tuned at my last show- she's amazingly supportive when she needs to be.

I also try to remember to live and enjoy my life every day and take time to pamper myself. I am notorious for getting my hair done often as well as my nails and I feel that type of pampering relaxes me. I also sneak off to starbucks and read when I can....right now I'm midway through "the Power of NOW" which is AMAZING!

JenFerFigure
04-10-2008, 11:44 PM
I think when it comes to contest prep, balance is virtually a foreign concept. You have a goal, you are focused, and as you get closer the margin to do anything other than prep stuff gets narrower and narrower.

What I do is, while in the off-season, I try to dedicate special time and attention to people in my life that really matter to me and that have stuck with me throughout my competition journey -- to let them know that I do appreciate and love them. This has been one of my struggles, because I love to socialize, be out to dinner and have a good time. During prep time I'm too tired to even be on the phone -- plus the time factor -- there is little leisure time!

As far as other priorities, I am learning how to hit the stop and go button as to what needs attention and what can wait. And Alli, I'm all about the pampering too! LOL Saturday -- there is no way I'm not making a trip at least to the hair salon. I may feel busted, but I don't have to look it! ;) :D

NYCStrongFox
04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Anyone who knows me well knows I'm a planner. I find it very hard to be spontaneous, so I MUST have a schedule to follow or else I won't feel accomplished. I've always been like that, even before I started competing.

In the off-season, I do my best to follow my workout, cardio and off-season diet programs. I plan the week and usually do everything at the same time everyday and over the weekends. I plan any weekend events/trips way in advance and I usually know what I will be doing or going 2 weeks from the date. I like routine. Guess it's the Leo in me LOL. I feel it gives me control of my life and the route I need to take to get to where I want to go.

In-season is a different story. I'm really anal on my training and diet. If it's not in the plan, I don't do it. Obviously, it's a little hard in the beginning, but once in the mode, there's no stopping. Up at 4am, gym by 5:15, work by 8:30, leave at 5pm (or earlier), gym again by 5:30, out by 6:30, home by 7:30, bed by 9:15. Competing is a choice, not an obligation. Those close to me support and understand what I need to do to get to the end and how having my time and space is important to me. I am allergic to drama and craziness, so I've learned to cut that out on the spot and keep my focus. Some good and bad comes from that, but I want to be happy without having anchors try to bring me down.

Like I've stated in a different chat post, I've had to depend on myself about 99% of the time and I've been able to handle it well. My sister has been my biggest supporter and having her there for me is great, as well as the many friends I've made over the last couple of years who have well wishes all the time. :p

So, I guess to answer how I balance it all, I just make out a plan, schedule my days for the week and "Just Do It." Kudos to those who are moms. I admire them the most for they have one of the toughest jobs - just being a parent. :awesome: