PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Judges Meeting - Open To All

dvsness
04-15-2008, 02:04 AM
NJ NPC:

You are invited... ALL NJ NPC judges are meeting on

Sunday April 20th at 11:00 am

at the Mindless Meals Cafe

(inside the Bayshore Wellness & Fitness Center)

1044 US Rt 9

Parlin, NJ

*This meeting is not mandatory for promoters but will cover judging
rules and regulations for judges and althetes in 2008 as well as judging
assignments for the NJ NPC shows. Promoters and athletes are invited
and encouraged to attend.

Shelly
04-15-2008, 02:09 AM
are you going?

i got the email as well

dvsness
04-15-2008, 02:17 AM
I would if Danny weren't coming in tomorrow. I don't think he'll want to spend his last day at a meeting, though he could stand to learn from it as well. We'll see.

JenFerFigure
04-15-2008, 03:10 AM
NJ NPC:

You are invited... ALL NJ NPC judges are meeting on

Sunday April 20th at 11:00 am

at the Mindless Meals Cafe

(inside the Bayshore Wellness & Fitness Center)

1044 US Rt 9

Parlin, NJ

*This meeting is not mandatory for promoters but will cover judging
rules and regulations for judges and althetes in 2008 as well as judging
assignments for the NJ NPC shows. Promoters and athletes are invited
and encouraged to attend.

Hmmmmmmmmmm interesting! I'm going to consider going to this! I'm curious.

Shelly
04-20-2008, 10:41 PM
update!!

nick went... and is actually test judging the next 3 shows to become a judge down the road....

they discussed the usual stuff...and how NJ is known to like the "harder" look. well this is coming to an end this year according to Pat Grecco who is in charge of the NJ NPC.

he said that they have been instructed to go for a "softer" but muscle toned look. he compared it to an "athletic" look wothout striations or muscle separation...

so we will see what happens...but in the past NJ has been known to go for the harder looks...they said they are getting away from that this yr. b/ it is detering girls from competing here and the number of competitors last yr were low.

Siouxcountry
04-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the update, Shelly, & Nick!

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 01:07 AM
update!!

nick went... and is actually test judging the next 3 shows to become a judge down the road....

they discussed the usual stuff...and how NJ is known to like the "harder" look. well this is coming to an end this year according to Pat Grecco who is in charge of the NJ NPC.

he said that they have been instructed to go for a "softer" but muscle toned look. he compared it to an "athletic" look wothout striations or muscle separation...

so we will see what happens...but in the past NJ has been known to go for the harder looks...they said they are getting away from that this yr. b/ it is detering girls from competing here and the number of competitors last yr were low.

Thanks for the update Shelly. I certainly appreciate that heads up. :kiss:

Nickyfregs
04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
update!!

^^^^^^^

What she said. Ideal "look" would be what you would picture a track athlete to look like, athletic looking, muscle, but NOT separated/striated. They are aware of the perception of NJ rewarding "harder" girls, but they have to conform to what the powers that be have handed down.

Class A at the Mets came up in convo as I affirmed the perception that girls were told should compete in NJ if they are "harder". This is something they do not want.

But the proof will be in the pudding, we will see what happens. I think the most important thing to realize is what the "general" look of a class of girls is on show day. If most of the girls on stage look a little softer and there is one HARD girl, yeah she may look the best to the crowd, but the judges won't reward it. If MOST of the girls show up hard, well then they will most likely place harder girls. It is more a function of the body types who show up and being judged in RELATION to them.

So my take on the whole thing. Come in looking YOUR best and let the chips fall where they may. I always have told Shelly from day 1 that you can't worry about what the judges are thinking or looking for b/c you'll go crazy. Just come in at 100% of YOU.

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 02:03 PM
^^^^^^^

What she said. Ideal "look" would be what you would picture a track athlete to look like, athletic looking, muscle, but NOT separated/striated. They are aware of the perception of NJ rewarding "harder" girls, but they have to conform to what the powers that be have handed down.

Class A at the Mets came up in convo as I affirmed the perception that girls were told should compete in NJ if they are "harder". This is something they do not want.

But the proof will be in the pudding, we will see what happens. I think the most important thing to realize is what the "general" look of a class of girls is on show day. If most of the girls on stage look a little softer and there is one HARD girl, yeah she may look the best to the crowd, but the judges won't reward it. If MOST of the girls show up hard, well then they will most likely place harder girls. It is more a function of the body types who show up and being judged in RELATION to them.

So my take on the whole thing. Come in looking YOUR best and let the chips fall where they may. I always have told Shelly from day 1 that you can't worry about what the judges are thinking or looking for b/c you'll go crazy. Just come in at 100% of YOU.

Nick,

Your update is greatly appreciated and thank you for explaining things clearly.

I'll won't lie and say I have not been feeling demoralised these past few days. I feel I signed up for a game, and the rules were changed as time went along. I feel I have given everything I've possibly got to get to where I am physique-wise at this point. The cost in terms of the emotional, physical, spiritiual and monetary has been really great. I don't regret my journey...i'd be a fool not to realize that I have accomplished what I set out to do and to be grateful I've been able to do that.

That being said, and after some thought, I realize that life has taught me to be trooper and to always land on my own two feet no matter what. I'll be coming in hopefully tighter in my glutes and hamstrings (which is the most challenging for me), and at 100% of me overall.

If I were to lose, then at least I will know I came in honoring myself, my hard work and being me at 100%. I rather lose that way then win not being genuine to myself.

Thanks again for your valuable insight. I agree with you completely on your last point and that is exactly my plan.

Shelly
04-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the update Shelly. I certainly appreciate that heads up. :kiss:

anytime girl.

i mean bottom line is your physique ROCKS.... there is no doubt about that.
its always gonna be subjective..but i dont think you have anything to worry about there are sooo many girld that would KILL to have your shape and lines.

so keep kicking butt and i KNOW you will be rewarded!

:kiss:

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 03:03 PM
anytime girl.

i mean bottom line is your physique ROCKS.... there is no doubt about that.
its always gonna be subjective..but i dont think you have anything to worry about there are sooo many girld that would KILL to have your shape and lines.

so keep kicking butt and i KNOW you will be rewarded!

:kiss:

My sincere thanks, beautiful. We shall see where the chips fall very shortly. ;)

Thanks so much for the support -- it means the world. :kiss:

NYCStrongFox
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
^^^^^^^

Thanks Nick for the update. So true to having heard often about NJ rewarding the "harder" girl. I've done about 4 NJ shows and I've placed in every one. I've come in harder than the other girls in my classes after making the transition from bodybuilding, but not too extreme (with still needing to work on my legs - work in progress lol), but yeah, I've always been able to walk away with an award in a NJ show. It's like you said, it all depends on your competition and what condition they come in.

And I love your last statement. It's something many competitors forget about. Do your best and come in knowing you did what you needed to do to present YOUR best and roll with it. No one can take that away from you.

Awesome you are signing up to become a judge. :D Best of luck and I'm looking forward to seeing NJ have a successful competition year.

lisaperson
04-21-2008, 06:02 PM
I was very disheartened as well. I know at the Arnold, the girls were pretty hard overall. That's what was rewarded. Then they sent out a notice to the pro's to soften up the look. I am not a pro and I definately didn't have time to soften up between shows. It was only 6 weeks time. When I inquired about the softer look after the MET, I was told that I needed to soften my look, delts too big, legs too big, ect... I guess for me, I am going to work on the things that I know to not be my best---stomach issues, hams, lats, leaner, tighter and lighter. Sounds like I got my work cut out for me. :p I want to come in 8lbs lighter. But, I guess I still like the harder look. I am not going to sacrifice all the hard work I did. I am going to do my best and that's it. Bottom line. I want to love the look I come into a show with. I will do my best and try to look "my" best! I appreciate the information. I wonder though, what the national level will reward. It seems that they always reward a pretty tight/hard look. I guess it is what everyone is saying---if the majority is soft then soft, if majority hard, then reward hard. God who could figure it out. You WOULD go crazy trying to please everyone.

Thanks again for information,
Lisa

Siouxcountry
04-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Much :respect: Jeanette!

That being said, and after some thought, I realize that life has taught me to be trooper and to always land on my own two feet no matter what. I'll be coming in hopefully tighter in my glutes and hamstrings (which is the most challenging for me), and at 100% of me overall.

If I were to lose, then at least I will know I came in honoring myself, my hard work and being me at 100%. I rather lose that way then win not being genuine to myself.

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Much :respect: Jeanette!

Thanks darling. :)

Nickyfregs
04-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah you can go nutty worrying about it. See that's why figure is such a difficult thing to participate in.

For me, I know I have to come in big, hard, and dry and that's it. There's no such thing as too dry or too hard or too big.

For you girls, you have to balance those things out as much as possible without REALLY knowing what the "balance" consists of. It's a tough situation.

It's one of those things though, that you sign up for getting into it. You know how fucked the judging can be and how non-consistent it is, so you either accept it and compete, or you don't accept it and take up another sport.

I feel bad for you girls lol!!!

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah you can go nutty worrying about it. See that's why figure is such a difficult thing to participate in.

For me, I know I have to come in big, hard, and dry and that's it. There's no such thing as too dry or too hard or too big.

For you girls, you have to balance those things out as much as possible without REALLY knowing what the "balance" consists of. It's a tough situation.

It's one of those things though, that you sign up for getting into it. You know how fucked the judging can be and how non-consistent it is, so you either accept it and compete, or you don't accept it and take up another sport.

Why thank you -- we feel bad too! hahaha :rolleyes:

dvsness
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
I want to love the look I come into a show with.

YES!!! We have to live with ourselves every day, all year long. Don't make yourselves unhappy to please people who will glance at you for a matter of minutes once a year. When I am tempted to go against what pleases me and what I want to be, that is the day I hang up my clear stripper heels. ;)

Shelly
04-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I was very disheartened as well. I know at the Arnold, the girls were pretty hard overall. That's what was rewarded. Then they sent out a notice to the pro's to soften up the look. I am not a pro and I definately didn't have time to soften up between shows. It was only 6 weeks time. When I inquired about the softer look after the MET, I was told that I needed to soften my look, delts too big, legs too big, ect... I guess for me, I am going to work on the things that I know to not be my best---stomach issues, hams, lats, leaner, tighter and lighter. Sounds like I got my work cut out for me. :p I want to come in 8lbs lighter. But, I guess I still like the harder look. I am not going to sacrifice all the hard work I did. I am going to do my best and that's it. Bottom line. I want to love the look I come into a show with. I will do my best and try to look "my" best! I appreciate the information. I wonder though, what the national level will reward. It seems that they always reward a pretty tight/hard look. I guess it is what everyone is saying---if the majority is soft then soft, if majority hard, then reward hard. God who could figure it out. You WOULD go crazy trying to please everyone.

Thanks again for information,
Lisa
Hey Lis:

i agree just DO YOU and make yourself happy first and formost- YOU have to live with how you look day in and day out and THAT is what it important!:)

i cant tell you how many times nick tells me just to worry about MY progress and physique and be the best ME i can be...and hes right. BBing is much more cut and dry. figure is like a crap shoot- you can think you look YOUR BEST and you MAY...but that may not be what the judges see and think. it does suck LOL

YES!!! We have to live with ourselves every day, all year long. Don't make yourselves unhappy to please people who will glance at you for a matter of minutes once a year. When I am tempted to go against what pleases me and what I want to be, that is the day I hang up my clear stripper heels. ;)

ohh cmon you know you luv your stripper shoes and rock em for your man LOL:p

JenFerFigure
04-21-2008, 09:10 PM

Well said Vanessa! You know I keep looking at that photo of Vicki Nixon up there and she looks absolutely stunning! I would love to look like that in my normal day to day life.

JBilella
04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello Everyone,

Nick stated everything that was said ant the meeting, and I always say . Its the person to your left and to your right that determine how you look . Good luck to everyone this season.

Joe