PDA

View Full Version : Guys w/ smart-ass comments in the gym

Badgergrl
04-15-2008, 03:48 AM
I'm pasting this from my AF log to get some feedback on this issue over here:

I had something happen in the gym tonight that really bothered me. On my 2nd set of incline, I asked a guy to spot me (granted, I was benching what he was) who decided it was necessary to say something like "I guess I could never date you,; I'd be too intimidated."
As if that wasn't enough...later I'm on the pec deck and another guy says, "You lift a lot. I bet a lot of guys are intimidated by you."

WTF?
Maybe I'm just super sensitive lately, but that really hurt my feelings. I felt totally defeminized.
At the moment these things were said to me it didn't really sink in, but got really angry about it later.
How do you deal with shit like this?

SBT
04-15-2008, 03:50 AM
LOL I just replied to you elsewhere..... BUT

I say :FU: the haters!!!!

Hannibal
04-15-2008, 03:59 AM
I had something happen in the gym tonight that really bothered me. On my 2nd set of incline, I asked a guy to spot me (granted, I was benching what he was) who decided it was necessary to say something like "I guess I could never date you,; I'd be too intimidated."
As if that wasn't enough...later I'm on the pec deck and another guy says, "You lift a lot. I bet a lot of guys are intimidated by you."

What you have to realize is that if there are little boys out there that are intimidated by strong athletic women...it is much more of a reflection on THEM than it is on you. Why should you care what they think anyway? You are doing what you love....something you have passion for....and if people (men or women) can't accept that then who cares.

Hakan
04-15-2008, 04:47 AM
WTF.... this sound like skinny boys, because normaly every guy would love to help out even if it is a "big" girl asking for help. Everyone I know think it's cool to have a girl training for real and not just looking pretty on the :cheerleader::Melissa 2::tr:

I

truds
04-15-2008, 04:57 AM
Just ignore them hun, use it to fuel your workouts, you're a strong (mentally and physically) woman, and heck, if you're lifting as much/more as the guys, they should be the ones embarrassed, not you! :respect:

Next time someone makes a comment like that just turn around and say, 'yeah, I couldn't date you, you're not man enough/you've got no b*lls/you probably take longer to get ready than me .....'

:D

Dawn Melanie
04-15-2008, 05:05 AM
BINGO Trudy!!!

Neely
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
What you have to realize is that if there are little boys out there that are intimidated by strong athletic women...it is much more of a reflection on THEM than it is on you. Why should you care what they think anyway? You are doing what you love....something you have passion for....and if people (men or women) can't accept that then who cares.

I totally agree with all of that ^^ especially the bolded part.

But in the same regard, things like that bother me too. People can just be assholes sometimes.

Hakan
04-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Just ignore them hun, use it to fuel your workouts, you're a strong (mentally and physically) woman, and heck, if you're lifting as much/more as the guys, they should be the ones embarrassed, not you! :respect:

Next time someone makes a comment like that just turn around and say, 'yeah, I couldn't date you, you're not man enough/you've got no b*lls/you probably take longer to get ready than me .....'

:respect: :D:bowdown:

Siouxcountry
04-15-2008, 05:10 AM
'yeah, I couldn't date you, you're not man enough/you've got no b*lls/you probably take longer to get ready than me .....'

lol :spit:

HDPhysiques-Joe
04-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't let those comments bother you. Those are compliments in disguise if you really think about it.

dallas3
04-15-2008, 03:48 PM

Now that's the way to look at it...:awesome:

Hannibal
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I totally agree with all of that ^^ especially the bolded part.

But in the same regard, things like that bother me too. People can just be assholes sometimes.

Well to a skinny-ass punk....a strong athletic woman can be imtimidating. Especially if she has MORE MUSCLE than he does...which is usually the case. And when you are obviously having more success than them in the gym....they have to come up with some excuse to make up for their own lack of progress. So they say stupid shit like that to bring you down so they can feel better about their mediocre existence.

I know it can be bothersome...but if some little kid says ""I guess I could never date you; I'd be too intimidated."....like Truds said...just tell 'em you couldn't date them either since their's NOW WAY they could handle you.

dvsness
04-15-2008, 06:13 PM
I could never date a guy who lifted as much as me anyway. :p I like my men BIG!

Hannibal
04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I could never date a guy who lifted as much as me anyway. :p I like my men BIG!

:respect:

Betsy
04-15-2008, 06:16 PM
Its their ego's kiking in.. as if you couldnt do their weights without a spot.. UMM get with the program!!

Dont let it upset you..although we are emotional beings!! Use it as motivation to kik serious ass in the gym!! :awesome:

Shelly
04-15-2008, 06:26 PM
yeah girl i had a similar thread (but it was a females comment) but either way- take it as ammunition to KICK EVEN MORE ASS in the gym and KNOW that inside and you are a beautiful strong proud woman!:D

Hannibal
04-15-2008, 06:46 PM
take it as ammunition to KICK EVEN MORE ASS in the gym and KNOW that inside and you are a beautiful strong proud woman!:D

Great Advice!!! :D

sdahlum
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Let it go in one ear and out the other . . . seriously, you're gonna get it all the time. There aren't many women out there who push it in the gym as hard as most of us here, and it's bound to raise some eyebrows. I think it's intimidating to the guys in the gym who don't lift as heavy or heavier than we do. To see a hot chick outlifting them is definitely a swift kick to the ego. But I really doubt that he meant his comment as an insult. I think what he really meant was, "DAMN! You're strong!" And I'd take it as a compliment :) That's what all the hard work is for, right? Those sexy muscles!! :D I think you get WAY more respect in the gym than you think.

frannyfran
04-15-2008, 08:52 PM

WERD!!!!

ibarramedia
04-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Good thing i read the entire thread. I was just going to say the same thing.

JenFerFigure
04-15-2008, 09:15 PM

WTF?
Maybe I'm just super sensitive lately, but that really hurt my feelings. I felt totally defeminized.
At the moment these things were said to me it didn't really sink in, but got really angry about it later.

Hi Maryann,

I think that a man who is "intimidated" rather than supportive and proud to be in your company would not be the right man anyways. So good riddance buddy! I would also snap back a comment so they get a taste of their own medicine... I like Trudy's comments. Maybe next time they'll be a little more....err TACTFUL in the words they choose. Just don't be surprise if it doesn't work and they continue...sometimes the light is on but nobody's ever home.

Some people have no idea how they come across, but I agree this is a compliment in disguise.

This is where that mental strength has to kick in -- how important is it what Joe Schmoe thinks anyway.

Badgergrl
04-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful :)

I am just a sensitive person, and sometimes I let things get to me too much. It's not that I really cared what either of these specific people think...neither were guys I would be interested in in the slightest bit...but I guess it bothered me so much because it made me question how I am viewed by people in general.
But like Hannibal said, it really doesn't matter because bodybuilding IS something I love, and I'm not willing to trade that to please other people.

I will just never understand why people think their opinions are so important. I mean even the women who say to me, "Don't get any bigger" or some dumb shit like that. What do they really expect? OK...since YOU think my body should be a certain way, I will mold myself according to YOUR expectations of me.....because YOUR opinion of ME is that damn important.

OK, rant over. Thank you all for listening to me whine. It's nice to have a place to vent where others understand what I'm feeling.

Bernie
04-16-2008, 02:26 AM
All men are jackasses (note my avatar), its that simple......

Femphysiquefan
04-16-2008, 04:30 AM
All men are jackasses (note my avatar), its that simple......

Sooooooooo, if that's true..........doesn't that mean that you, Hannibal, Dallas, Joe, Paul, myself and even Sioux shouldn't be on this here forum?? :angel:

Sorry, I'm just being a jackass; pay me no mind................hey, WAIT A MINUTE!!! ;)

fitlei
04-16-2008, 01:57 PM
How about guys who approach you in the gym while you're working out to hit on you???? This just happened last night while I was doing Reverse Grip Bent Over Rows.... some guy comes up to me and is like...

"Where r u from? How long have you been working out to get your body like that? Are you a personal trainer? When do you go to the gym?" etc etc

Why is it that guys feel the need to TALK... I swear. Not to be bitchy or anything, but when I'm at the gym, I don't want to talk to you. I want to work out and go home lol. Anybody else feel like this???

Badgergrl
04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
How about guys who approach you in the gym while you're working out to hit on you???? This just happened last night while I was doing Reverse Grip Bent Over Rows.... some guy comes up to me and is like...

"Where r u from? How long have you been working out to get your body like that? Are you a personal trainer? When do you go to the gym?" etc etc

Why is it that guys feel the need to TALK... I swear. Not to be bitchy or anything, but when I'm at the gym, I don't want to talk to you. I want to work out and go home lol. Anybody else feel like this???

I feel you girl
The crazy thing is...most guys consider it disrespectful to do this to other GUYS, but we are somehow different....it's OK to interrupt OUR workouts.

fitlei
04-16-2008, 06:37 PM
I know! And I swear I could have taken this guy too... I wanted to choke slam his ass but then just imagine the looks I'd get then LOL

Femphysiquefan
04-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I know! And I swear I could have taken this guy too... I wanted to choke slam his ass but then just imagine the looks I'd get then LOL

True........but if you DID choke slam him, NO ONE would even TRY to speak to you again. Isn't that what you want?? :p :D

MsGuns
04-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Im with you on that when people tell me Im TOO BIG for a modeling job...Im like wow you should see the gurls on drugs now thats BIG...im natural and yall think Im BIG...WOW

It use to bother me when people said I wasnt NORMAL...but Im not...Im one of the strongest gurls in my gym...I lift more than some of the men...I even workout w/ my trainer and he is a former super heavyweight BB...I lift what he does or just below it but not far from his.

Guys comment at the gym but it is always about me doing better than them or kickin their @$$ in or out of the gym....LOL LOL LOL

I hate when women tell me they wanna get in shape and ask me what do I dobut then they say I dont wann look like you cause you are too BIG.

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful :)

I am just a sensitive person, and sometimes I let things get to me too much. It's not that I really cared what either of these specific people think...neither were guys I would be interested in in the slightest bit...but I guess it bothered me so much because it made me question how I am viewed by people in general.
But like Hannibal said, it really doesn't matter because bodybuilding IS something I love, and I'm not willing to trade that to please other people.

I will just never understand why people think their opinions are so important. I mean even the women who say to me, "Don't get any bigger" or some dumb shit like that. What do they really expect? OK...since YOU think my body should be a certain way, I will mold myself according to YOUR expectations of me.....because YOUR opinion of ME is that damn important.

OK, rant over. Thank you all for listening to me whine. It's nice to have a place to vent where others understand what I'm feeling.

Femphysiquefan
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, let's try turning a negative into a positive. I understand that talking to one of you ladies during your workouts can be a very annoying thing to you: I get that. I probably would be very annoyed myself if someone interrupted something that I really enjoyed doing and was very passionate about too. That being said, is there any way that us guys can approach you in the gym WITHOUT getting our heads bitten off, or body-slammed, or whatever?? Or is that simply not a possibility?? In short, can you give those of us guys who don't live in the gym something like Gym Etiquette 101 when it comes to FBB/Figure/Fitness competitors??

Bernie
04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
i generally dont talk to anyone at the gym i dont know.

on three occasions i have talked to women in the gym i didnt know. one wad to ask her if she was done with a machine, becuase i needed, and she had been "resting" on it for 5 min. the other two where on the way out.

Bernie
04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Sooooooooo, if that's true..........doesn't that mean that you, Hannibal, Dallas, Joe, Paul, myself and even Sioux shouldn't be on this here forum?? :angel:

Sorry, I'm just being a jackass; pay me no mind................hey, WAIT A MINUTE!!! ;)

you are either a jackass, or not a man. its that simple.

Badgergrl
04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Ok, let's try turning a negative into a positive. I understand that talking to one of you ladies during your workouts can be a very annoying thing to you: I get that. I probably would be very annoyed myself if someone interrupted something that I really enjoyed doing and was very passionate about too. That being said, is there any way that us guys can approach you in the gym WITHOUT getting our heads bitten off, or body-slammed, or whatever?? Or is that simply not a possibility?? In short, can you give those of us guys who don't live in the gym something like Gym Etiquette 101 when it comes to FBB/Figure/Fitness competitors??

I'm not saying don't talk to me! LOL I like to be somewhat social with others in the gym, just not to the point where it f's up my workout. And talking to and hitting on are two different things.

If somebody wants to exchange a few words in between sets, cool. Just know when to shut the f**k up. (cuz a lot of people don't :rolleyes:)

Or, like Bernie said, if there's someone you want to have a conversation with, you can always catch them when they're done.

Under NO circumstances should you ever try to talk to a female, or anyone for that matter, when they are in the middle of a set! I can't believe people try this!

Hannibal
04-17-2008, 10:13 PM
you are either a jackass, or not a man. its that simple.

Hmmmmmm those are my only two choice huh? Guess I would hate for people that know me to have to make that call.

:(

Bernie
04-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Hmmmmmm those are my only two choice huh? Guess I would hate for people that know me to have to make that call.

:(

i turned my man card in years ago in favor of being he nice "guy"

NaturalNick
04-18-2008, 05:23 AM
Intimidated little boys. Personally, I'd love it if a girl could/would keep up with me in the gym. It's a turn on.

xena
04-18-2008, 10:40 AM

WTF?

Sometimes people just say the dumbest things not meaning to. Even though this is far from the actual topic, take for instance when someone close to you dies. When my husband died years ago, I had some guy tell me "Oh you're still young. You'll meet someone else. If you have any questions about guys, you can come ask me"

I was totally shocked by that remark...not to mention totally pissed.

Mind you, these sort of comments are not limited to just men. Women say plenty of dumbass remarks too. Just try to ignore it if you can. ;)

fbbfanatic
04-27-2008, 04:57 PM
You're a beautiful woman. Uh-huh. That's right.

Badgergrl
04-28-2008, 01:35 AM
You're a beautiful woman. Uh-huh. That's right.

:kiss:

Pearljam
03-10-2009, 03:53 AM

WTF?

That may be a compliment. I've heard men say that to models. I'd be too intimidated to date you...or smart women too. You're both of those too so don't worry.

Chawk1
03-10-2009, 04:15 AM
Most likely this guy was a crapbag that has been going to the gym for years and could never look a 1/4 as good at you!! He's intiminated.. I have been in the same kind of situations it always stuns me. I never have a good comeback until I'm in the car on the way home!! I hate that stuff..