PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational Movies!

NYCStrongFox
04-20-2008, 12:50 AM
OK, I searched to see if this thread already existed and it doesn't :D
What are your favorite inspirational/motivating movies?
Here are some of my favorites that come to mind:
- All Rocky movies
- Rudy
- Men Of Honor
- Remember the Titans (on now on the ABC Family channel)
- Pursuit of Happiness

Bernie
04-20-2008, 03:35 AM
you took the three i was thinking of
Rudy
Remember the Titans
The Pursuit of Happyness

then i always get pumped watching Gladiator and Braveheart.

SBT
04-20-2008, 04:14 AM
Yup you got a solid list right there!!! :)

Remember the titans was the first that came to mind... Oh and Hoosiers is a good one too

Siouxcountry
04-20-2008, 04:18 AM
- Men Of Honor

That is one of my favorite movies. :)

A few I can think of...

Good Will Hunting
Finding Forrester
Saving Private Ryan

jasons805
04-20-2008, 04:42 AM
Hoosiers was good by the same guys who made Rudy.

NYCStrongFox
04-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Hoosiers was good by the same guys who made Rudy.

I haven't seen that one. Need to get it on my NetFlix list. I just thought too about Karate Kid.

Femphysiquefan
04-20-2008, 10:29 PM
One of my favorites is "Glory." It's the story of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, the 1st African-American regiment to fight in the Civil War. Denzel Washington won his Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role in this film.

_DyBVdeYH30

Gotta throw in "Braveheart" as well!!

Vg3xUA2wvrU

NYCStrongFox
04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I just saw The Freedom Writers. Made my cry. However, I do recommend it.

Lisa E
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
FLASHDANCE!

NYCStrongFox
05-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Fame and A Chorus Line. Even Staying Alive - gotta keep that dream and go for it!!!

fitlei
05-01-2008, 02:39 AM
I LOVEEEEEE Pursuit of Happiness... soo motivating... but as far as contest wise goes... before my last show I swear it was like the attack of Rocky marathons every single weekend leading up to my show... they've become personal favorites to get me going :)

Femphysiquefan
05-01-2008, 04:10 AM
Another of my favorites is "Swing Kids." For those who haven't seen it, here's a little blurb explaining what it's about:

"In the late 1930s - early 1940s, social groups and gangs called "Swing Jugen" or Swing Kids emerged among the youth of Nazi Germany to rebel against the Fascist regime, as they watched their freedoms being stripped away and their free Democratic society disappearing around them. To show their contempt, hatred and resistance to the evil, they used swing music, American culture and British fashion to rebel against Nazi authority in every way and every waking moment of their lives. Many were involved in the underground resistance, forming violent gangs revolting with force against Nazis around Germany and spying for the Allies. Others unfortunately gave into the pressure and were forced against their will to join the "Hitler Jugen," or Hitler Youth. Hitler Youth law enforcement trained early to become soldiers. This turned friend against friend, lover against lover, brother against brother and families split apart or eliminated."

These are clips of the last scene in the film, where the Swing Kids' club "The Bismarck" is raided by the Nazis. I liked it because it shows that, even in the presence of such overwhelming evil as this, there is still hope in the end for the future and for freedom.

brlV5HNns4Q

Rd-a2Vu92kI

dallas3
05-01-2008, 04:17 AM
I'd recommend Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert DeNiro

Femphysiquefan
05-01-2008, 04:35 AM
Another really good one is "Michael Collins." What William Wallace is to Scotland, Michael Collins is to Ireland. He instigated the Irish War of Independence from 1919-1921 and drove the British out of mainland Ireland. I still think to this day that Liam Neeson's portrayal of Michael Collins is his finest role ever on film.

v6L66xhKdgE

Y96gYJDzBqI

Femphysiquefan
05-01-2008, 04:48 AM
I'd recommend Men of Honor with Cuba Gooding Jr and Robert DeNiro

Kudos to Men of Honor!! :D: :awesome:

Nz50OmWwPCg

MrsFluffyBunny
11-10-2013, 05:41 PM
:bump:

This is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

See Twelve Years a Slave. The story is incredible (and true) and the movie is powerful and well done (based on the stage play). I was shocked as hell that Django Unchained got so much praise last year. I like Tarantino movies, I really do, but I don't like his comic book revisionist history movies; they're fantasy, I realize, but they leave a bad taste in my mouth with the way they take real atrocities and make them all pulp-fictiony. It's offensive. Twelve Years a Slave is not offensive, although it is brutal at times to watch.

Brad Pitt has a cameo; his part is important but very small.

NIqodUJ-UfM

Siouxcountry
11-10-2013, 09:19 PM
:bump:

This is an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

See Twelve Years a Slave. The story is incredible (and true) and the movie is powerful and well done (based on the stage play). I was shocked as hell that Django Unchained got so much praise last year. I like Tarantino movies, I really do, but I don't like his comic book revisionist history movies; they're fantasy, I realize, but they leave a bad taste in my mouth with the way they take real atrocities and make them all pulp-fictiony. It's offensive. Twelve Years a Slave is not offensive, although it is brutal at times to watch.

Brad Pitt has a cameo; his part is important but very small.

That is one movie I plan to watch once it's available on Netflix, glad to hear it is good.