PDA

View Full Version : who inspired you to start competing

anntitone
10-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Well, for me it was my husband and Angie Semsch! They got me involved in training 2-years ago. 2-years later and 20 pounds, here I am !!!!!

2hot4u
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
for me it was a personal trainer at my gym her name is Debbie Elking. She competed in 1999 and came in 2nd out of a big class in Rockford IL. I did my first shows in 2001 and came in dead last at the Caveman Classic but came back to win the overall at the Show Me Naturals which then hooked me from
there!!

So competing 31 pounds heavier (contest weight) then from 2001 here i am in the national level fighting for the few fbb pro cards available. The fight is on and coming out from my hernia sugery this past week i plan on showing my amazing improvements at the 2010 Nationals in dallas so stayed tuned!!!

Andy Vogel
10-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Hey Lisa,

Great story! But no more Dallas. Nationals are being held in Atlanta next year. From now on it is only Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale. And as far as I know they also changed the date. Nationals will be in October in 2010 (at least that is what I heard).

for me it was a personal trainer at my gym her name is Debbie Elking. She competed in 1999 and came in 2nd out of a big class in Rockford IL. I did my first shows in 2001 and came in dead last at the Caveman Classic but came back to win the overall at the Show Me Naturals which then hooked me from
there!!

So competing 31 pounds heavier (contest weight) then from 2001 here i am in the national level fighting for the few fbb pro cards available. The fight is on and coming out from my hernia sugery this past week i plan on showing my amazing improvements at the 2010 Nationals in dallas so stayed tuned!!!

anntitone
10-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Thats great Lisa!!!!!!! As mentioned in another thread Lisa is one That I believe should already be a Pro!!!!! I cant imagine what one more year will do for her. Watch out.

2hot4u
10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
well, that sucks but if anyone finds out more confirmed information on this change please pass it on!!! I will still be ready and Atlanta is cool too so whatever. Hey Lisa,

Great story! But no more Dallas. Nationals are being held in Atlanta next year. From now on it is only Atlanta and Fort Lauderdale. And as far as I know they also changed the date. Nationals will be in October in 2010 (at least that is what I heard).

Suzanne
10-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I had been training at my gym for a few years for my weight loss. I started training at home for about a year or 2 then after I got laid off i returned to my gym this was the end of 2001. At this point i had lost all the weight and had some muscle. I was often asked if i competed at the gym and just out and about like at Starbuck's. There was one member at the gym who used to be a NPC judge who said i would do well if I considered competing. So i talked to a trainer there who competing in bodybuilding ( i had never used one before) and was on the stage 4 months later March 2002 at the San Diego World gym classic I was LW and did masters and novice. I think i got 2nd and 3rd then I competed in 2 more shows that year which was NUTS!! :nuts:

So there really wasn't anyone person just the combination of lots of people asking if i competed.

jzubire
10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Well, for me it was my husband and Angie Semsch! They got me involved in training 2-years ago. 2-years later and 20 pounds, here I am !!!!!

Hey Ann! Job well done! onto the next journey on the pro stage! xoxo~~J

KP DIVA
10-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Hey Lisa,

Wow, thanks for that info!! Not so great for the folks from West Coast but great for us East coasters!!!

DanielleA
10-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Grace Rivera got me to start competing. She has been involved in the industry for years and is a trainer at my gym. She saw how hard I trained and told me I'd make a great competitor. And Voila! the rest is history...

Shelly
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
deb judy! luv her. she inspired me!
:kiss:

DJudy
10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
deb judy! luv her. she inspired me!
:kiss:

Now you guys inspire me to keep going :kiss::kiss: one for each of you

2hot4u
10-10-2009, 06:12 PM
andy, you are correct pam betz replied to my email and the nationals is october 15 and 16 next year in atlanta!!! So now i can start my stategy for 2010!!! Hey Lisa,

Andy Vogel
10-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you for confirming this Lisa. I got it from a pretty good source so I was sure the information was correct.

Teree Newell Rae
10-10-2009, 08:34 PM
For me i had come across a copy of ''Oxygen magazine'' in a bookstore and as i looked through it i was inspired by the physiques that i saw....

chicky9914
10-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Kelly Ryan and Monica Brant

Alli
10-11-2009, 01:44 PM
My friend, and NPC national bodybuilder, Mark. When I was just 19 he came up to me in the gym I was training in and told me I should compete, that I had great genetics for figure. He trained me and put me through my first contest diet.....and was there when I won my first show (NABBA at age 20!) lol.

He's been a part of my journey ever since!:D

titonej
10-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, the kid who ate all those hot dogs in the hot dog eating contest inspired me. I wanted to be just like him.. to funny right! :) :) Just kidding.

Arnold inspired me as he did with many....................

DANISH DYNAMITE
10-11-2009, 04:39 PM
When I was "growing" up in bodybuilding I was in AWE whenever I saw Kim Chizewsky. She was the most amazing woman in my world. I never dreamed I could look like her.. just secretly hoping.. and working my ass off.
In my old room at my parents house her photo is still hanging over my bed.

I met her when I was about 18-20years old at the FIBO. It took me hours to approach her booth. I was so intimidated. LOL. Finally my boyfriend pushed me all the way to her booth. I got an autographed photo of her and she was so nice to spend some time talking to me. I really appreciated that.
I had never competed at the time, and Kim said I should. That I had great genetics and great legs! I was thriiiilled. It made the rest of my year!
A few years later I competed and won the Danish and Scandinavian Nationals.

paa400
10-12-2009, 03:08 AM
The first time I saw pics of you Kim Chizevsky is the first person who came to mind.

Making_A_Change
10-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Sasha (in the middle) helped me get my feet wet in figure. She broke down what figure was--from the expense, peaking, walking, and those little things that make you look more polished. While I am still learning, I consider my first competition a success because I was well-prepared. Figure opened the door for many wonderful peopleto come into my life!

JillianAmy
10-12-2009, 06:57 AM

Wow! I cant believe it's only been 2 years! That's amazing and inspiring, Ann! Good luck at your pro debut!

anntitone
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow! I cant believe it's only been 2 years! That's amazing and inspiring, Ann! Good luck at your pro debut!

Thank you sweetie. How about you!? Your starting to really make a name for yourself. Congrats to you. You are so beautiful. Jack and I are so proud of your 1 st place victory at NA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figure_k
10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
For me it was Gina Alitotti! I look up to her not only bc of her amazing physique, but the fact that we're the same age and she's so succesful in Figure. It's hope for me that someday, in the near future, I can accomplish what she has!
Finding the right balance between competing and "normal life" at 23 is hard...All your friends are out drinking & eating crap while ur home eating tilapia and sippin' crystal light like it's the next best thing since sliced bread!

At the same time, you're in class full time, trying to fit in double cardio, weights, studying AND sticking to a perfect diet.. I admire her so much bc I can relate. I'd much rather live a competitors life than be out gettin hammered and waking up feeling awful! 45 minutes on the treadmill feels much better :tr: and it's so rewarding!!

DANISH DYNAMITE
10-12-2009, 06:52 PM
The first time I saw pics of you Kim Chizevsky is the first person who came to mind.

Thank you. That is a really nice compliment:)

chicky9914
10-12-2009, 08:54 PM
For me it was Gina Alitotti! I look up to her not only bc of her amazing physique, but the fact that we're the same age and she's so succesful in Figure. It's hope for me that someday, in the near future, I can accomplish what she has!
Finding the right balance between competing and "normal life" at 23 is hard...All your friends are out drinking & eating crap while ur home eating tilapia and sippin' crystal light like it's the next best thing since sliced bread!

At the same time, you're in class full time, trying to fit in double cardio, weights, studying AND sticking to a perfect diet.. I admire her so much bc I can relate. I'd much rather live a competitors life than be out gettin hammered and waking up feeling awful! 45 minutes on the treadmill feels much better :tr: and it's so rewarding!!

Girl, I'm 24 and I feel ya completely on that!!! If I ever go out with friends, it's in the off-season and it's maybe once a month. All my friends are/were party animals and stay out until 3 and 4 am. I can't. They always want me to go out with them but it's not something I can do, not with work, or with training. Makes me feel like a lameass...but whatever, I agree that a healthy lifestyle is far more rewarding!

toese
10-14-2009, 04:07 AM
I never even heard of Figure until last year. One of my besties was approached last year to compete at the Oregon Ironman and she got 2nd place .... didn't even train for it. So that inspired me. I learned that I didn't have it so easy though ... I have to train hard just to even place. LOL!

Dryvrgrl
10-17-2009, 09:33 PM
My Gf Leigh Mollison was my intital inspiration

But... Melody Spetko was the one who kinda pushed me over the limit... I sport alot of tattoos (full sleeves) and was kinda nervous about hitting the stage covered in Ink, Leigh showed me pics of Melody and all her tattoos and I went for it!

Amber
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Sasha (in the middle) helped me get my feet wet in figure. She broke down what figure was--from the expense, peaking, walking, and those little things that make you look more polished. While I am still learning, I consider my first competition a success because I was well-prepared. Figure opened the door for many wonderful peopleto come into my life!

Ditto here Kassandre, We both owe it to Sasha!;)

Making_A_Change
10-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Ditto here Kassandre, We both owe it to Sasha!;)

And fitting that we were BOTH in the picture!

Amber
10-17-2009, 11:03 PM
And fitting that we were BOTH in the picture!

exactly!!:D

vancouverchick
10-18-2009, 12:32 AM
rachel mcclish (sp??) - cory everyson - vicky pratt, trish stratus and stacy lynn were the only beauties to grace any MUSCLE mags ---- no oxygen existed then! FLEX, MUSCLE MAG!

Carol Semple, Mia Finnagen, Madonna Grimes, Monica Brant, Jenny Lynn, Kelly Ryan (wow, I am really dating myself here --- whew, I'm old!).... I used to rush out to buy the new copies of these mags and flip to the only section I cared about where they featured these girls and their placings at the competitions.

I still have the first "competition book" I used that was one of those spiral notebooks, with all my training, diet, etc in it -- and glued all over the front, and inside covers are the pics of these amazing ladies!

I still believe Cory Everson and Rachel are ICONS in the industry... they are what paved the way for me to see what muscle and beauty was all about! --- :respect:

sobe4elle
11-04-2009, 12:11 AM
For me it was Cory Everson, Marla Duncan in the early days then Monica Brant & Jenny Lynn.

Lilly
11-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Mia Finnagen and Mo Brand!!

chantilly
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Davana Medina inspired me a few years ago.

Joanne Murphy
11-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I credit the infamous Debbie Kruck to creating the figure monster that I am today. She invited me to compete in her annual competition held in Daytona Beach...the Debbie Kruck Classic. The rest is history.

msprincipal
11-04-2009, 05:25 PM
My trainer Olesya Novik! SHE ROCKS!

dvsness
11-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Similar to Suzanne, I was approached while training at my old gym by a competitor who asked my what show I was going to do. I had no clue what he was talking about, as I trained for general health and vanity at that point. He had told me about Figure and since I was curious, I discussed this with a friend who was a powerlifting competitor and former NPC BB, Rodney Hunt. I went with him to Team U/NY Figure Pro in 2006. Tara Scotti and Jennifer Searles stood out to me, and that was the type of physique I wanted to emulate. When I learned that Jen was local, I contacted her about Figure competitions, trained with her a few times at Bev's, and had her teach me posing.