PDA

View Full Version : More stupid gym stories!!

ejmcompany@mac.com
10-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok... It's been a while since we have had stupid people in the gym stories, and I happened to have had a good laugh a couple days ago...

It was chest day and my gym has a couple flat benches next to each other. After in do a little stretching and walk over to the benches, I see that one is being used and the other is free... As I sit down on the end of the open bench I look over at the one being used and notice three plates on each side plus a 25lb plate plus a ten.... So I look around for the big guy who is pressing 385lbs and see nobody who looks like they are qualified... After a minute a guy comes over to the bench who is about 5' 11" tall and I would say about 180lbs or so.... Maybe 185lbs soaking wet.... So now as I play with my Ipod to get the tunes I want, I can't help myself, I have to see why I am such a pussy when this guy only who weighs only ten pounds more that me can press that much weight... I try not to be obvious ( hard to do when your three feet away) but I am not sure if I should ask if he needs a spot. I mean 385lbs, more than double his weight. So there was another guy who was watching as well and offered a spot to this guy and he said no... So now I am thinking this guy can really lift this weight.... Holy crap!! He then proceeds to lie down on the bench and gets ready to lift the weight off the bar. I'm not sure if I should just stare or run... So he some how presses the weight straight up and begins to bounce the weight up and down by pressing his shoulders off the bench with his arms locked... He does this for maybe 15 seconds and re-racks the weight.... WTF? I have heard of people who swear by doing extreme amounts of weight using partial reps but this was not even close to that... So he proceeds to do another set after a long rest and leaves the bench with his 385lbs still there... Total dip Sh#t....

ibarramedia
10-23-2009, 05:31 PM
What in the world is that? 2 inch range of motion presses?

Laura Phelps would eat him alive as she benches 500 and squats 745. And she is all of 5'4" 160.

DanielleA
10-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Too bad it didn't fall on his head! What a moron.

AirHarp
10-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Ned why you Hate-in'?

LoL
You know he is going to his boys
"385 TODAY FOR REPS KID!!!"

Some time tools fall out of the box...

johnr007
10-23-2009, 05:56 PM
LOL! That is one of the worst that I have heard. I once saw these 2 guys about 5ft 4 150 put about 600 pounds on the squat they have full gear on a bandana, a belt, and knee wraps and high-tops on. I was like WOW are these guys really going to squat 600 pounds I have to see this. So they spot each other and instead of going down they push the weight up one helping each other, I wanted to die laughing. They did like 5 sets like that then I think they lowered the weight to like 495 and went down 1/10 of an inch. I thought they were done but they then go to the bench press and load it to 405 and do like 5 sets barely going down maybe like 1/20 of an inch and helping each other to do it. Blew my mind. Worst part is an obvious newcomer to the gym was super impressed by them and he asked them if they would be his trainer. That was one of the worst I've ever seen!!

ejmcompany@mac.com
10-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Ned why you Hate-in'?

LoL
You know he is going to his boys
"385 TODAY FOR REPS KID!!!"

Some time tools fall out of the box...

It's the leaving 385lb on the bar that actually pisses me off.... Then lifting part was pure comedy...

Erik
10-23-2009, 06:10 PM
Heavy scapular protractions to work the serratus anterior, thus stabilizing the scapulae and keeping his shoulders healthy?

Eh, probably not.

:LOLOL:

Betsy
10-23-2009, 06:21 PM
LMAOO nice-- i do get some amusement at the gym when i go myself-- one day, however, these idiots are ReALLY going to hurt themselves!

ejmcompany@mac.com
10-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Heavy scapular protractions to work the serratus anterior, thus stabilizing the scapulae and keeping his shoulders healthy?

Eh, probably not.

I was worried when I started to read your post that you were going to say it was a legit exercise... lol

heathergracefitness
10-23-2009, 06:28 PM

Eh, probably not.

:rofl:

That story reminds me a bit of Fingerman (a friend of Kevin Levrone and recent guest on Heavy Muscle Radio)- an advocate of "static training".. He actually resembled Christian Bale in The Machinist.
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1118869989917&id=9c8e9d27a98595f9ef44b65c783740c0&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.mtv.com%2fshared%2fmedia%2fne ws%2fimages%2fm%2fmovies%2fsq_bale_machin_041026.j pg