PDA

View Full Version : Would you work a booth at the Arnold.....

JasonLannigan
11-13-2009, 04:06 AM
You can select more than one answer / multiple choice.

Lets assume a legit supplement company, and a long three day weekend at a booth.

Would you work a booth at the Arnold.....

No pay or free supplements and you have to pay travel expenses.
Travel expenses (airfare and hotel) are paid for by the supplement company, but you get nothing working all weekend at the booth.
Travel expenses are paid for, and you also get $300 worth of supplements.
Travel expenses are paid for, and $300 in cash.
None of the above.

KP DIVA
11-13-2009, 04:40 AM
Prior to attending the Arnold I would have jumped at it if offered #2!!

After attending the last 2 years I'd select #5.

I just prefer to enjoy the shows, etc.

sassy69
11-13-2009, 04:57 AM
Booth work is hard and exhausting. I suppose it depends on what you are there for. Exposure? Do you have the funds to pay for it all? Personally I think you should get some compensation - at least travel expenses. If you're there to promote a product, you should probably be reasonably familiar w/ the product too - which could be arranged w/ the company presenting the booth. If a company is expecting you to represent them well, they should pay attention to what they are asking you to do and how mutually worthwhile it is for both.

Laura Bailey
11-13-2009, 05:03 AM
I choose answers 2-4!
I'm omitting number 1, not b/c of the lack of pay, but b/c I would probably be there anyway, but would try to negotiate maybe working only one day.

Depending on what you want to do in the fitness industry the Arnold is such a networking opportunity. And if nothing else, what you get in free supps and giveaways half way pays for the trip! Besides, you can't find a better gathering of athletes and sports EVERY YEAR.....except at the Oylmpics, but that's every 4 years!

bleckrocks
11-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Sorry i been working it since 2004,
This year they messed up my associates mail in order for booth space. They lost it. So first time guess next yr we may not do it?
Anyways my own associate refuses to be treated less for a certain location CUZ ITS BRUTAL!!
me i wont even attend the show unless i am working and everything is paid for and being paid at least 250 a day. In which my associate does all that. Without all of it??
NEVER!!!

For exposure?? after the first time out there and having nightmares for A WEEK!! being used up from the traffic and them yanking and taking and not getting a shittin thing out of it?? As in BFD you might of been at one of the booths, at the end result if you want to be there dont think something special going to happen just because you were there. Special time is what you create out there, or if in business like Eric and I networking it helps it does and to know more of the business folks.

But other then that i have always lost more shit out there then i have gained.

man i sound negative here lol! yikes , sorry, just saying in my non humble not so obedient personality,
if i wasnt being paid, and hotel, airfare , my associate making sure i had my diet food and place to train and my chauffeur, it wouldnt be worth it.

Thats my story im sticking to it.

SB

Iron Diva
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
#2-4. I have never been and am dying to go. I have heard so many stories and I can feel the excitement from my friends who have been. I am hoping to attend this year..one way or another:)

JasonLannigan
11-13-2009, 01:35 PM
How much networking can one do working a booth all weekend?

KP DIVA
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
I think it's legalized slavery!! I don't see many of the "sponsored" atheletes behind the booth all day...I was at the expo very early Saturday and stayed all day and was there as well very early Sunday. I noticed that most of the girls had been there all day.....10+ hours...then the attire/shoes are just rediculous to be working on your feet all day.

IMO, there's a difference from networking and just being out right pimped!!! And please don't call me a hater for saying this!!

Shelly
11-13-2009, 02:05 PM
ID want pay and travel accomodations paid for. Anyone who glorifies booth work has lost their marbles. it IS a great way to network, meet people, get your face out there, etc... but it is extrmemely tiring. I work local shows all day on my feet and let me tell you its LOOOONG and TIRING.

dvsness
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
As a sponsored athlete of Prolab Nutrition, a company that doesn't use 'booth bunnies' and only has sponsored athletes work our booth, I find it ridiculous to see the amount of work women are willing to do for nothing. The reason many of them are not compensated accordingly is because as a whole, women have cheapened themselves by agreeing to be volunteers!

Personally, when doing booth work, my travel and hotel expenses are covered, I am paid for my time, and I am reimbursed for all per diem expenses (food, taxis, etc). I also do draw a monthly check as well as supplements as part of being a sponsored athlete... and I am no one. I am not a Pro, I have never won a show, and I'm not some world class beauty. I'm simply smart enough to know my worth, and to respect the value of my sponsor as well.

Ladies, don't sell yourself short. But, at the same time, remember there are thousands more like you. If you want to be valuable, have some knowledge of supplements, learn the line and products of the brand you are interested in representing. Be more than just a pretty face.

ejmcompany@mac.com
11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I think you have to figure out what works for you when it comes to the Arnold. I have a booth there and for sure it's tough work. I have to say that my girls do not have to stay there all day as I know that it's too much and the do not have to look like hookers... I try to get different girls to work over the three days so they have plenty of time to do their own thing without feeling stuck in my booth. It works out quite well for everyone. I am the only fool who almost never leaves the booth for three days and when it's over, I am very tired.
I do meet a lot of great people every year, and for my little business it's important... The people who we sell to at the shows are much more prone to calling and getting more jeans later on as well. That's a big deal to me.
I think if you can find the right company to work with and can have some sanity during the show it can be great, but like Sheila said, it can also be not worth it if you are in the wrong situation. If you can afford to do it on your own and not work, you can for sure meet lots of people from the various companies and maybe get something accomplished. That depends on how well you can present yourself ect...
If you don't like crowds then you might want to avoid the show as well. On Saturday it's nearly impossible to move at the Expo... I am surprised the fire marshall even allows that many people in the building... It's actually counter productive to my sales because people are so stressed about getting around.
So figure out what you want to get out out the show and go from there. To some it's not worth it to stand at a booth all day for three days with heels and no clothes for a plane ticket and hotel. I don't think I would either. It can be a lot of fun though on your own terms or doing some part time booth work and enjoying the rest...

Betsy
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
id say PAY ME and pay FOR ME to attend-- if u arent getting paid to work and you slave all day, you end up missing out on the entire FUN part of the weekend AND you leave w/ nothing-- If i wasnt getting airfare/hotel and PAY id decline the offer and just GO for FUN-- and then you can still network and not be exhausted!!

I think too many girls are willing to do it for FREE so it sets the standard lower for some of these companies to think you dont deserve to be compensated-- when i think thats BS! Its a tough, tiring JOB!

lil mama
11-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Ahhh Vanessa your a Class BEAUTY in my books and your a super gal with brains,beauty and style.:kiss:

As a sponsored athlete of Prolab Nutrition, a company that doesn't use 'booth bunnies' and only has sponsored athletes work our booth, I find it ridiculous to see the amount of work women are willing to do for nothing. The reason many of them are not compensated accordingly is because as a whole, women have cheapened themselves by agreeing to be volunteers!

Personally, when doing booth work, my travel and hotel expenses are covered, I am paid for my time, and I am reimbursed for all per diem expenses (food, taxis, etc). I also do draw a monthly check as well as supplements as part of being a sponsored athlete... and I am no one. I am not a Pro, I have never won a show, and I'm not some world class beauty. I'm simply smart enough to know my worth, and to respect the value of my sponsor as well.

Ladies, don't sell yourself short. But, at the same time, remember there are thousands more like you. I

f you want to be valuable, have some knowledge of supplements, learn the line and products of the brand you are interested in representing. Be more than just a pretty face.

FemFlex
11-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Great post, Vanessa, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on one statement:

I'm not some world class beauty.

WRONG! ;)

I don't do booths anymore (hell, I barely do the Arnold anymore) myself, but my recommendation is to take in the event at least once before deciding to become a booth worker.

dvsness
11-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Ahhh Vanessa your a Class BEAUTY in my books and your a super gal with brains,beauty and style.:kiss:

WRONG! ;)

You don't have to blow smoke up my ass, kids. I'm fully secure in who I am and who I ain't. :waving:

In2Fitness
11-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Love this post! :awesome:

Ladies, don't sell yourself short. But, at the same time, remember there are thousands more like you. If you want to be valuable, have some knowledge of supplements, learn the line and products of the brand you are interested in representing. Be more than just a pretty face.

lil mama
11-13-2009, 04:14 PM
K, Nessa no ones blowing smoke, But I DO THINK OF YOU AS BOOTIFUL, SMART, and A BAD ASS CHICK:respect:now don't make me put on my size 5 shoes and go over there and smack ya:kiss:
2 me U are a somebody!!!!!!:)

You don't have to blow smoke up my ass, kids. I'm fully secure in who I am and who I ain't. :waving:

debbiebramwell
11-13-2009, 04:31 PM
I have so many arnold experiences working at different booths under different situations. One year I just wanted a spot to sell my pics and videos. Dave said I can hang at the MD booth. I get there and everyone kept complaining about the woman running the booth(I wont say who she was)I was trying to be openminded at first thinking she was just stressing and getting things done until she told me I cant put my pics out and call me a whore and a few other names(then I decided she was the bitch everyone said she was lol).....I couldnt believe it. I had people lining up for me and I was there helping them for free the least they could of done was let me make money for my time. I then left the booth and found another spot and made tons of money.woohoo Thank god for the fans!!!

dvsness
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
call me a whore and a few other names

What in the world??? :eek:

HDPhysiques-Joe
11-13-2009, 09:50 PM
id say PAY ME and pay FOR ME to attend-- if u arent getting paid to work and you slave all day, you end up missing out on the entire FUN part of the weekend AND you leave w/ nothing-- If i wasnt getting airfare/hotel and PAY id decline the offer and just GO for FUN-- and then you can still network and not be exhausted!!

I think too many girls are willing to do it for FREE so it sets the standard lower for some of these companies to think you dont deserve to be compensated-- when i think thats BS! Its a tough, tiring JOB!

QFT

ibarramedia
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM

Nonsense. We speak the truth. And Tre' of all people is someon who does not blow smoke up peoples ass. Don't sell yourself short. ;) :respect:

2hot4u
11-14-2009, 11:29 AM
come see me at the Species booth!!! I will be there!!!

anglicanbeachparty
11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
come see me at the Species booth!!! I will be there!!!

I will, for sure! :awesome:

FemFlex
11-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Nonsense. We speak the truth. And Tre' of all people is someon who does not blow smoke up peoples ass. Don't sell yourself short. ;) :respect:

Agreed, and thanks, Ibarr - at least someone here still recognizes my position as the site's #1 meanie! ;)