Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Training & Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training & Nutrition Discuss training & nutrition. Off season or prep.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Kim

Default Need advice

I have been training and dieting for months now. I had my sights set on my first show May 19th. Well I ended up having to get a new car and dwindled all my money I had saved up for my show.

I have come so far and feel so let down that I am so close and now my dream is slipping away.

I have paid for half of my suit and have the shoes. It's all the other stuff that adds up...entry fee, NPC card, tanning and hair and makeup.

Any advice on maybe getting on stage like I had planned months ago? I only have 3 weeks left and I am in "panic" mode.

Here is from where I started and 12 weeks later. Sorry for the paper. I had entered an online contest. The 12 week pic was taken a few weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	font.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	66578  Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	66579  Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	66580  
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 PM
NPC Bikini Competitor - Kimberly

Facebook: kimberlyingle

Only you know your financial situation. Personally, I would probably hold off until I have enough money saved. I would make sure that I have enough money for all of the important stuff first(bills, gas, etc). Keep training hard (you have made wonderful improvements) and wait until you have enough moo-la saved up and compete as the total package. (suit, tan, hair, makeup, etc). Good luck in whatever you decide!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Kristin Leslie

Congrats on going after you goals!!!!

You have already accomplished so much and even if you don't get on stage in 3 weeks YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED A LOT!!!!

Competition prep can be very stressful in its own right. I say if your finances will be thrown in a tizzy then consider pushing back your show date!

You will still get to strut your stuff in your suit and heels!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Kim

Thanks gals. I know I have worked my tail off that is for sure. I have given up so much to prepare for this show. My biggest disappointment is my mom booked a flight here to watch me compete. I haven't had the heart to tell her yet that it may not happen. I did ask my old job about coming back part time so I had extra money to put towards the show. They are going to let me know.

What about sponsorship's? Any suggestions on how to go about trying to get one?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat001 View Post
What about sponsorship's? Any suggestions on how to go about trying to get one?
I would focus on a show later in the year, and not put any hope on any sponsorship.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:35 PM
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcountry View Post
I would focus on a show later in the year, and not put any hope on any sponsorship.
Is it a good idea to keep dieting and training the way I have been for let's say another 4-6 months? I started my diet and training the end of Jan.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Administrator
Jason

Facebook: siouxcountryfb
Twitter: siouxcountry
Instagram: siouxcountry

Quote:
Is it a good idea to keep dieting and training the way I have been for let's say another 4-6 months? I started my diet and training the end of Jan.
Up your calories to maintenance and stop cardio. Hit the weights hard. Start prep again a few months out. Maybe at that time you would have money to hire a coach. Plenty of shows in the Fall.

Got a Smartphone? Download Forum Runner to read & post from your phone!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Kristin Leslie

Quote:
NOOOOOO!!!!! Hire a reputable coach and let them work your diet/training out...

PM me if you want some recommendations or leads.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
IFBB Pro - Roxie Beckles

Your dreams aren't slipping away, you simply now have more time to really bring the best package to the stage that you can because a.) you won't be stressed out beyond the normal jitters of getting on stage for the first time (saving you the conundrum of issues of the hormonal effect that stress throws into this ballgame of contest prep), b.) you want to be able to enjoy the experience and right now with all that you have going on it seems near impossible to really be able to do that, c.) you'll have more time to actually prepare and bring your best. This hobby is NOT worth draining the finances for. Wait til you can afford the things you need to do a kick ass job on stage. The stage ain't going nowhere.

However, as mentioned you should def take a diet break. Diet breaks are a crucial part of the process especially if you've been training as long as you have been, and will intend to with a later show date in mind. Here's a really cool post in layman's terms on how exactly to incorperate a diet break into your program if you're doing all of this stuff on your own - http://www.leighpeele.com/diet-break-plan.

Here's an even better article that goes into the importance of a diet break and what it does to the body positively in the long term when it comes to fat loss - and hence your stage goals.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...iet-break.html

Training should also be turned down during this time as well, because more importantly it's about recovery before going into another bout of training and dieting. As Jason mentioned, cut back on cardio or limiting it to something less stressful like a walk or a hike outdoors, a short duration of easy cardio, or something once or twice during the week. Afterall it is a break. So if you've been cranking up the cardio as the show drew closer, back off. Resistance training can still be done but it would depend on your set up. Basically do the opposite of whatever you're currently doing. So if you're training with high volumes (lots of reps, sets, short rests etc etc, maybe lighter weights in that case), a toned down version, less volume, medium loads, more rest would be a better idea. If you're training higher intensities (heavier weight) and less volume, then lighter intensities (lighter than what you normally lift) and a little more volume may be appropriate. It just depends on your training set up. But don't try to do more work to offset the increase in calories, kind of negates the entire thing and sets you up for far more physiological drama than is necessary. After an appropriate break, your body should be/might be ready to go a little further with the diet, and as mentioned in both articles, these sort of breaks should be cycled in periodically. Most importantly listen to your body. If you're feeling run down even after a 10-14 day break from your program, you may need to take a little more time. People don't realize how much of a toll the body takes with long term dieting. And without knowing anything about your program, one can only assume if you may or may not be prepping in the "traditional" methods of contest prep and dieting in general (both not exactly the prime environment for the body in the long term). The more in tuned you become with your body and how it's responding to your plan/program (whether you design it or somebody else) the better you'll be in the long run with all this stuff.

Oh and about the airline ticket, your mom MAY be able to request to use the tickets for a later date. It depends on how they were purchased. Sometimes they'll let you use the credit if you buy it directly from the airline. It gets a little muddled though with policies if you bought it from a discount site like Kayak or Priceline etc. So I'd call to see what can be done.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Trainer - Kevin Myles

Congratulations on making such good progress. I have a feeling that your Mom's going to be pretty proud no matter what and you should also be proud of yourself and what you've accomplished. There will always be other shows as mentioned if things don't turn around. As to what still might be possible, the suit designer might work with you if they've been making the suit for you as they will still want to move it-payments may be possible.

Sponsorships are tough to come buy but an overlooked option is they gym you train at if you've been a long-time member. When I managed Gold's Gym we often sponsored local competitors to the tune of their entry fee's so it does happen. I'll bet you could make the hair and make-up happen and look great. The rest comes down to what you want to get from this experience. Many girls think they're going to entire a show, do well, get discovered and wind up being in the magazines. One, it usually doesn't happen that way. And two, if your goals were to use this to reach a new level of improvement and now have some fun and enjoy the experience looking better than you ever have while sharing that with your friends and family, that's still possible.

If you do wait which is not a bad thing, this has still been a great accomplishment by you. As to whether you should continue on your program or what changes you need to make that really depends on the program. If you started off with minimum calories and high or max cardio you will definitely need to pull back and modify what you're doing. But if you started out dieting on maximum calories with minimal cardio and only modified those variables as you needed to (which is how I like to teach it) then you may not need to change much and can keep on a healthy path of continued progress.

Whatever happens try to think of the positives and be proud of the lifestyle you are now living.

Kevin
Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 AM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

I second what Roxie and Kevin said.
You've come a long way on your own and should be very proud! Good job!! BUT...I think you will be happier with yourself if you invest the time to continue to make the improvements you need. At this point I think a May 19th show would be too soon - so take this break as an opportunity to keep improving.

I would hire a coach who knows how to get you to where you need to be -
IF you decide to go it alone, upping your cals a little does NOT mean 'going off the diet'. Keep it lean & clean and don't let things get out of control or you will be back at square one.

If you have any questions, we are here to help.

You will get there girl!! Keep up the good work.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Beckie

Facebook: FitKiwiFitness
Twitter: @FitKiwi

You have done so well to get to this point and I bet your mom is super proud of you! I hope she can change the date on the tickets for later in the year.
Part of the reason I'm not competing right now is money,it is stressful enough putting in the effort to train and diet without having to worry about money, so planning for later in the year is a great idea,focus on making some gains so you can be even better come then
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Liz

I'll offer a totally different perspective.

I'm in a similar boat. Just this past Thursday, my husband lost his job. My show is May 5. When I first got the news of his unemployment (this is the 3rd time in 3 years-- financially, it has been a very tough couple of years), I figured I would not do the show- I have already spent enough money. I didn't want to spend more on the final week's food, the npc card, the travel.

And I cried and cried. I've been training and dieting since January 2 and this has been a goal since last summer. And the show date held significance for me bc the next day is my 40th birthday. I wanted to do something with this aging body before the big four oh! So for me, another show date would not be as special to me. Add to that, I know if I postponed what I'm doing now, I will never do it again (I should also say that this is my first competition).

Then my amazing husband shook some sense into me. He told me that quitting now would be a colossal waste of the money I've spent as well as the strain I've put on our relationship. He told me to not worry about the money, that we just need to trust that it will be there.

So I'm pressing forward. I'm being really cautious of how and where I'm spending my money though. We will deal with the job loss once the show is over and I can think more clearly.

Your situation, though, might be totally different. But I understand that guilt you feel, especially with your mom's ticket. I feel guilty for every dollar I've spent!

Good luck to you! I just wanted to offer you a different perspective.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

Chase lost his job about a month ago the week after I started prep. I am in a completely different place seing that I am going for my pro card, I am 48 so I don't have years ahead of me and I do female bodybuilding which may or may not be around for me to even do.

But financial responsibility come first we have never and will never use credit cards to do a show if we can't pay cash we don't do it. Right now I am continuing to prep only because there is no cost but I will not but what little money we have set aside towards anything related to the competition it is to cover bills. I feel putting any money out for the show even tho there is a good chance I could get my pro card would be irresponsible.

I do have a supplement sponsor but they don't cover much just send me a few supplements per month and now that I have been with them 6 months they will cover my npc card and entry fee but that's it so don't hold your breath for a company to cover show expenses. They sponsor athlete in order to bring money in so once you prove your worth then they cover more for you.

We have done a few barters. Videoing and editing services for a couple for training sessions. I was going to do a website for Sherry's Smith but what she needed was beyond my skill set. I am trying to find other things we cna barter. I am selling a suit to try to get funds but again nothing will be spent until Chase is working so even if the suit sells the money will go into the bank.

So altho I am busting my ass to prep for USAs there is a good chance i will not be on stage.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:36 AM
NPC Bodybuiler - Jill

Its always a catch-22 trying to dial into a show from several months out to a specific time on show day, given the whole world of things that can go wrong.

Taking a look at both sides.

On the one side - there's always another show - I think its really important to NOT set yourself up to live or die based on hitting that particular date. Its one thing to look at what went into the show and not being able to execute on that, but its sort of a whole other set of depressions and loss of focus on the important things that can propagate to screw up the other areas of your life. Its all sort of relative, and its important to keep that perspective in light of whatever happens.

On the other side, if you are now looking at a change in your expected resources to hit your date, take a step back and look at your needs and your budget. If you've done the work and have the drive, and are not in a position of 'desperation' (i.e. just not honestly in the right shape to hit that date), then look at what you can work with to get you there. W/ some creative bartering, creative dieting, good budgeting, perhaps you can hit it.

And if not, then be sure to let your mom know so she's not throwing away that airline ticket. I hate to say, but the change fee on a flight seems to be going up & up, so that's a consideration, but see if she can save the ticket for the next show you look at, or whatever. I'm sure your mom is more interested in you being in a good place to do a show, than hitting that show because she's got an airline ticket for it.

Its just really important to keep everything about a show in perspective so it doesn't become such a point of negativity if all the moving parts don't line up correctly this one time, that its sets you back in a multitude of other areas of your life. There are so many levels of "success" when you go after a body transformation and a show - don't make the show the only judgment of success or complete failure.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Suit Maker - Jodi Lane

I'm hoping I can do a show later this year too but it probably wont happen just from medical and financial issues. BUT I have a back up plan to compete next year if this year's show doesn't pan out--I recommend you do that. Just give yourself some more time. There will always be shows! It's just taking care of the main thing--priorities need to be in the right place. Or you could do something else less expensive that is similar in reaching a goal, maybe a 5k or something. I'm going to be doing cosplay at conventions regardless of competing and that also requires being very fit. So, no matter what you do, always have a goal like that. It's a good distraction ;o)

Suz I admire you for sticking to your guns on being responsible--that's so hardcore, and totally the way to be. I have to be that way. Otherwise I wouldn't enjoy the show even if I did it.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Kim

Thank you all for the great responses. I did cry and get depressed and moped around for days as I felt my dream slipping away. I think I am feeling more confident in trying to shoot for the June show. That gives me about 4.5 weeks to come up with money. I have thought about doing a fundraiser or something to help come up with the money or even taking a temp part time job maybe. I have gotten some donations from friends which has helped. I am still hoping it will all fall into place and I will be doing the June show. Plus that gives me more time to get where I want to be. I need alot more practice in the posing as I was really stressing over that one! Plus I have had a ton of stress hit me lately and I can certainly see some change in my abs from the stress so maybe doing the June show is more realistic. I guess if my mom wants to see me on stage for the first time she will just have to come back in June I know I am not giving up on my dream and goals just postponing them a little and I am ok with that now.