Siouxcountry.com

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > TRAINING & NUTRITION
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

TRAINING & NUTRITION

Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

Default Am I the only one? offseason

Srsly. Am I the only one that cant boast of staying 10lbs and 2 bodyfat percentages from contest weight or am I forever alone in this? Lol
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Rosalou

Nope, chick, you ain't the only one at all. I'm right there with you. It's annoying as hell.
"I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together."
Marilyn Monroe
Old 07-01-2012, 11:22 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

You need to check out the Life Beyond the Competition Stage sub forum and the poll about offseason weight .

You are definitely not alone! I don't actually feel my best nor do I perform my best that close to contest weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
CBBF Figure Competitor - Marlene

Fawk, me 3
Old 07-02-2012, 12:16 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Vanessa Adams-Pierce

Absolutely not - and I was never interested in staying that lean, either.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
NPC Bikini Competitor - Staci

I think im currently about 15 lbs over comp weight. Never stay that close.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:46 AM
IFBB Pro - Viko Newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmar View Post
Fawk, me 3
I hear ya!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:04 AM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

I think a lot depends on body type and of course category you compete in

it should be easier to stay close to bikini then next easiest figure then next fitness/wp then next bbing since each is at a lower bf the difference between bikini bf and bbing bf is huge

I am the type that holds a ton of water 3 dasy before weigh in i am 5+lbs form my weigh in in weight pus i have gradually dropped water over the previous 2 weeks so i could actually be at my stage bf level but weigh 5-10 lbs more just in water so there is no way for me to actually maintain 10 lbs from comp wt
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

I wish it were all water weight.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

I go by weight prior to dropping water. This year I have maintained anywhere from 10-11lbs over that wt, because like Suz I hold a ton of water!! That is with a couple cheats a week but otherwise 95% tight tight diet (carb cycle) and as some of you know I'm a runner now running 25mins 4x a week usually. So to be honest I don't think it'd be easy at all for me to stay within 10lbs unless I kept my diet tight and also kept cardio up being that I have two shows this fall.

I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat it and say that I easily can maintain it cuz I prob can't lol and realistically I am with Crystol 100% I love to lift heavier and enjoy my time with family on the weekends. If that means 15lbs over stage weight I'm okay with it - and so is my coach actually! The weight will come off when it's time to diet.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila

Facebook: ila.reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne View Post
I think a lot depends on body type and of course category you compete in

it should be easier to stay close to bikini then next easiest figure then next fitness/wp then next bbing since each is at a lower bf the difference between bikini bf and bbing bf is huge

I am the type that holds a ton of water 3 dasy before weigh in i am 5+lbs form my weigh in in weight pus i have gradually dropped water over the previous 2 weeks so i could actually be at my stage bf level but weigh 5-10 lbs more just in water so there is no way for me to actually maintain 10 lbs from comp wt
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenFazio View Post
I go by weight prior to dropping water. This year I have maintained anywhere from 10-11lbs over that wt, because like Suz I hold a ton of water!! That is with a couple cheats a week but otherwise 95% tight tight diet (carb cycle) and as some of you know I'm a runner now running 25mins 4x a week usually. So to be honest I don't think it'd be easy at all for me to stay within 10lbs unless I kept my diet tight and also kept cardio up being that I have two shows this fall.

I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat it and say that I easily can maintain it cuz I prob can't lol and realistically I am with Crystol 100% I love to lift heavier and enjoy my time with family on the weekends. If that means 15lbs over stage weight I'm okay with it - and so is my coach actually! The weight will come off when it's time to diet.
I agree with this here. I wouldn't go by actual stage/dry weight to try to maintain near anyway. As it is unrealistic.

Also you hold like 3g of water for every gram of carb (something like that). So you imagine in the offseason, eating more carbs (at least I hope so) you are going to weigh more in just water weight anyway, that is at least probably 5-8 lbs just being fuller all the time. After that, yeah it is probably fat/and or muscle weight. Hopefully the later.

I usually can stay withint 10lbs or so, at most 15lbs..I think that is reasonable. It also depends on my goals etc too in the offseason.

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM
IFBB Pro - Shawn Hektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
I agree with this here. I wouldn't go by actual stage/dry weight to try to maintain near anyway. As it is unrealistic.

Also you hold like 3g of water for every gram of carb (something like that). So you imagine in the offseason, eating more carbs (at least I hope so) you are going to weigh more in just water weight anyway, that is at least probably 5-8 lbs just being fuller all the time. After that, yeah it is probably fat/and or muscle weight. Hopefully the later.

I usually can stay withint 10lbs or so, at most 15lbs..I think that is reasonable. It also depends on my goals etc too in the offseason.
This right here... I gain a good 5-10lb peak week when I start carbing up and filling out.
I have no clue how much I actually lose or gain as I don't weight myself... just going by a visual aspect.
But I can tell you that I feel I look my "street best" the weeks following a show. Just my own preference.

‎"Just because you get the puppy dog with the biggest feet doesn't mean he'll grow up to be the best hunting dog," -Nick Saban

Twitter: @ShawnCarla
Old 07-04-2012, 07:19 AM
NPC Bodybuiler - Jill

You always need to look at what you're doing in your off-season first of all. Its not diet like crazy for a show, and then let it go, and then diet like crazy for your next show while trying to add muscle because they said you needed more at the last show. Off-season is for growth & recovery. If you don't need to grow, then focus on recovery. But also balance that w/ how hard you want to work to lose the flab. Along those lines, over time, not just show to show, if you can work to adjust your body's set point - meaning your body learns to adjust to a particular weight / bodyfat so that it can support it more readily than 30-40 lb weight swings every year.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:04 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

I guess this is more of a commentary on consistently seeing competitors having an off season weight and bf level thats seems only something of my of my dream unless I want to hate my life. My body's set point is ghetto booty.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
CBBF Figure Competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyhasmuscle
I guess this is more of a commentary on consistently seeing competitors having an off season weight and bf level thats seems only something of my of my dream unless I want to hate my life. My body's set point is ghetto booty.
Did you see the Perceptual Bias video from Scott Abel? Beni posted a link in the thread called After the Show I'm Gonna Stay this Way. On my phone or I would post a link to the thread. We really often have a distorted vision of ourselves, usually to the negative side. I have seen pics of myself, head cut off, and not realizing who it was thought that person looked really good. Mind f*ckery at its finest. Not to say that I haven't ever over indulged post contest and experienced excessive spillage, but even then I looked fine. Genetically I am not super lean, so how I look when I FEEL best is where I choose to stay post-contest. It's where I am eating well and training optimally, but also where I am not constantly watching the clock for my next meal. And where an off plan meal doesn't result in any physical or emotional issues. (refined sugar is not my friend! LOL)

Stop comparing yourself, Hun. Find your own sweet spot, love it, live it, no apologies.

Just read on another fitness-oriented FB page some guy singing the praises of jiggly booties. Funny how many men love those parts of us, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Old 07-04-2012, 07:27 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

Its not a visual thing. I look fine and normal. I was really wondering if I'm alone in not holding at a hop skip and a jump from contest shape.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
2008 NPC Southeastern USA Fitness Champ - Jenna

Depends on what you had to do in your offseason prior - building and gaining weight, then having to do a longer, more grueling prep to get it off and then some?

In the last 2 years I havent had a building offseason (since I have no plans to compete right now). I've just been at maintenance with occassional treats and more rest.

During the summer months I do more cardio and tighten up the diet. I'm now about 5 lbs from what I last competed at. Even in the winter, when I'm a bit looser with my diet, the highest I got this year was 118-119 (8 over what I last competed at)

Back when I had offseasons where I was trying to gain weight, I had 20 lb fluctuations!

I certainly prefer my current scenario in which I'm much closer to my natural, smaller setpoint.