Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Training & Nutrition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Training & Nutrition Discuss training & nutrition. Off season or prep.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Stephanie

Default Who SPINS?

You people are F-ing CRAZY LOL BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!

Who here has tried spinning? Did you like it, did you hate it, do you incorporate into prep, offseason, benefits/negatives?

I use to believe spinning was a CULT LOL - seriously screaming, hooting, hollering, dripping with sweat... but I actually think I could get addicted.

This time around I've got a lil extra fluff on these legs that need to be streamlined (who knew SNACK ATTACKS from Wendy's would go straight to my inner thighs ) I've been incorporating it only once a week and I actually enjoy it, which I never thought I would say.

Few keys points... I do believe it can be beneficial IF you are
*on a moderate to higher carb diet (too high intensity for keto)
*Only utilize it once maybe twice a week (and I prefer on non lifting days)
*Have some "fluff" to burn (if your legs are lean I could see this EASILY burning muscle)

It's funny I could NEVER EVER understand the runners high (BLAH) but the spinners high surprisingly YES!

*I have never been so drenched (I swear my toes SWEAT)
*Its the only place in the GYM you can sing at the top of your lungs and no one cares LOL (or can really hear you for that matter)
*They turn the lights OFF which is almost euphoric and bad ass and for some reason makes you focus (and thank god cause you really don't want to see how yucky we all look!)
*It takes you periodically out of the "meat head mentality" for a minute and makes you feel VERY ATHLETIC which is a nice little break, although I am ready to throw around dumbbells tomorrow LOL
Old 05-03-2008, 04:11 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Hey FM3!! I love spin class...very challenging and i'm drenched w/ sweat too. But you are correct, w/ my diet, I just don't have enough energy to get through it!! But definitely in the off season it will be a staple in my conditioning atleast 2x a week! The only thing I didn't like was more ooohhh so sore bottom the next day. I"ll be investing in some biker shorts w/ the padding!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM
NPC Figure Competitor / Bodybuilder - Shannon

I love spin classes

Actually I liked it so much, I let people talk me into getting certified and now I have been teaching it the past year and a half!!!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Actually I liked it so much, I let people talk me into getting certified and now I have been teaching it the past year and a half!!!
Yeah I am still waiting on my TSHIRT that says I SURVIVED SPIN CLASS!!

Probably gonna have to keep waiting aren't I?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:25 PM

You call that surviving
Old 05-03-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Fitdiva View Post
Hey FM3!! I love spin class...very challenging and i'm drenched w/ sweat too. But you are correct, w/ my diet, I just don't have enough energy to get through it!! But definitely in the off season it will be a staple in my conditioning atleast 2x a week! The only thing I didn't like was more ooohhh so sore bottom the next day. I"ll be investing in some biker shorts w/ the padding!
You know its funny the ones I've taken before it LITERALLY hurt "down there" and my bottom ... but this particular instructor DOES so many standing or hover lean back intervals, you don't sit much WHICH I actually loved!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:27 PM

That feeling usually goes away though after the first time or two or when you start going regularly

Because I had bought one of those gel pads originally too, but wound up NEVER using it! Thats what I like to do too!! Lots of hill climbs, sprints intervals standing, squats/hovers... you know all the fun stuff!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kenyatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmomma3 View Post
You know its funny the ones I've taken before it LITERALLY hurt "down there" and my bottom ... but this particular instructor DOES so many standing or hover lean back intervals, you don't sit much WHICH I actually loved!
We did alot of hovering too...but I'm not working w/ much back there anyway, so maybe that's why i was so sore. I remember saying to myself, no wonder Lance Armstrong developed that cancer...can u imagine all the pressure he put's on his jewels from riding that bike all those miles!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I love spin classes

Thats AWESOME SHAN! No wonder you have such NICE LEGS!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Thats AWESOME SHAN! No wonder you have such NICE LEGS!
Awww thanks Steph

Yeah it did help bring out A LOT of cuts last year when I was cutting for my show, because I kept teaching ALL throughout that too... just had to watch my HR very closely since I was doing a no carb approach
Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
That feeling usually goes away though after the first time or two or when you start going regularly

Because I had bought one of those gel pads originally too, but wound up NEVER using it! Thats what I like to do too!! Lots of hill climbs, sprints intervals standing, squats/hovers... you know all the fun stuff!
Yeah I truly believe the instructor makes you love it or hate it... choice of music... intervals...energy level. I bet your classes ARE FUN!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah I truly believe the instructor makes you love it or hate it... choice of music... intervals...energy level. I bet your classes ARE FUN!
Well if you are ever in town you will have to come to one Or if I ever move back out that way (which is VERY distinct possibility) and I am teaching you can come too!

They are fun, I like to change up the music too and take requests from the members, because I agree the music helps to make or break a class.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Awww thanks Steph

Yeah it did help bring out A LOT of cuts last year when I was cutting for my show, because I kept teaching ALL throughout that too... just had to watch my HR very closely since I was doing a no carb approach
Thats what I don't think people realize is you have FULL CONTROL of your resistance... its not like cardio classes or step classes where you keep up or feel like a fool. LOL
Old 05-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Well if you are ever in town you will have to come to one Or if I ever move back out that way (which is VERY distinct possibility) and I am teaching you can come too!

They are fun, I like to change up the music too and take requests from the members, because I agree the music helps to make or break a class.
ABSO FREAKIN LUTLEY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Fitdiva View Post
We did alot of hovering too...but I'm not working w/ much back there anyway, so maybe that's why i was so sore. I remember saying to myself, no wonder Lance Armstrong developed that cancer...can u imagine all the pressure he put's on his jewels from riding that bike all those miles!
OUCH!
Old 05-03-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Thats what I don't think people realize is you have FULL CONTROL of your resistance... its not like cardio classes or step classes where you keep up or feel like a fool. LOL
Thats the other part that I really like about spin, its your own SELF PAIN!! SO you can set it to where you want it, and I always let people know that right up front, that if they can't do what I am saying (whether its resistance, speed, etc) then to take it at their own pace, the goal is to just keep those legs going
Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
IFBB Pro - Kira Neuman

Facebook: Kira Neuman

I do spin class once a week and the lady who leads it is brutal! but i totally need that. I just love it! And it's great for anyone cuz you can go at your own pace regardless of your fitness level!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:34 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Danielle

hey Shannon - are you one of those instructors who will walk around and turn up the resistance on people's bikes? vsness 2:
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie0703 View Post
hey Shannon - are you one of those instructors who will walk around and turn up the resistance on people's bikes? vsness 2:
Heck no!!!

Not a big fan of the ones that do either... there are much better ways to motivate people Plus its just not right, I mean how do you honestly know what someone else is at ya know?!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Bernie Awesome!

i like spinning....but i usually get dizzy after about three minutes.......plus the berrings on my chair at work are shot.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
i like spinning....but i usually get dizzy after about three minutes.......plus the berrings on my chair at work are shot.