Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Chat & Introduction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chat & Introduction We chat about everything, and anything. Stop on in and introduce yourself.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 AM
IFBB Pro / NPC Judge - Isabelle Turell

Default Sacrifices people make to compete in the sport?

I have had a few competitors tell me they have taken unemployment, divorce thier S/O, etc. so they can focus on competitions and becoming a proffessional athlete. Is it worth leaving your job or ending a happy marriage?

I know this is a selfish sport, but I need to put bread on the table and I wouldn't give up my kids and my S/O so I can compete in the sport.
If you can DREAM it, you CAN do it! -Walt Disney
Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 PM
NPC Fitness Competitor - Nicolle

I could see the logic in not attending a certain event or even postponing a vacation but, unless there are some serious rewards at the end, I would never take a leave of absence or destroy a relationship over this sport. I think there is a point where people have to be logical about this. Don't get me wrong, this can be totally consuming but not so much that I would uproot my entire life!

good discussion thread!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Ginny

I sacrifice sleep and choose to spend my extra $ on posing suits, travel, and other prep expenses. I have friends who lost sight of the big picture and have divorced because they couldn't prioritize. It doesn't always happen and maybe they were headed for divorce anyway but this can be a pretty self-centered sport. If your head's not in the right place there can be consequences.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:41 PM
IFBB Pro - Michelle Beck

I have also sacraficed sleep, time, energy and money for this sport, but nothing more than what everyone else sacraficies and never so extreme that I would risk losing my S/O (thank goodness him and my family are so supportive-I am blessed)! The whole purpose of life is joy and while to be happy I know I have to pursue my goals whole heartedly, I am not going to have blinders on along the journey. Balance is a hard thing in this sport, but if you can find it in your life than you are truly blessed.

On a side note my old trainer back in 2001 and 2002, was to the extreme. He was a bodybuilder and he gave up his family, kids and eventually his health and sanity over this sport (due to drugs and I am not talking about performance enhancing drugs) to try and earn his pro card. He never did earn it and he ended up in rehab. Now that was going to the extreme and it is too bad because he could have really used his knowledge of training, dieting and helping others for good if he could have just gotten control of his life and his mindset.

On the other hand, my trainer now became an IFBB Pro in his late 50's, is an amazing trainer, mentor and he is very spiritual. He keeps life in perspective because he knows that we create our own reality by the thoughts we think and the way we feel.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:27 PM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs

Sleep, and time with friends, and a few glasses of wine during a 12 week diet. Nothing more is worth it to me. This is hobby for me. For some people it's their life but the pro card won't make you happy when you're 90 years old and dying alone in hospice because you ostricized those who loved you.
Like Gin said above, some people may have been headed to divorce anyway but to actually GIVE up your S/O for this is just insane IMO.

Everytime I diet or come off the diet, and my social life returns to normal with extra time on my hands, I feel more blessed than ever!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Sponsor of Siouxcountry - CrystalliniBikini.com
NPC Figure Competitor - Ellen Holmes

this is a really good thread! I've often wondered if I'm selfish, but I really don't think so. I have it planned so all my training is in the AM so it doesn't take away from hubby time in the PM, and if he wants to do something on Saturday, well, whatever, I'll train on Sunday.
As far as the money invested in this sport, yeah, it means I've cut back a lot, but not taken away from what needs to paid for. I also have my posing suit business which helps defray some of the expense. Hubby did just get laid off so I had to nix Pittsburgh Nationals- now THAT was a sacrifice. But, gotta keep food on the table so.....would've been selfish for me to go at any cost.
I tell myself this is an investment in my health- if it doesn't cost me here, it's gonna cost me down the road with ill health!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Bikini Competitor - Kristine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Staggs View Post
Sleep, and time with friends, and a few glasses of wine during a 12 week diet. Nothing more is worth it to me. This is hobby for me. For some people it's their life but the pro card won't make you happy when you're 90 years old and dying alone in hospice because you ostricized those who loved you.
Like Gin said above, some people may have been headed to divorce anyway but to actually GIVE up your S/O for this is just insane IMO.

Everytime I diet or come off the diet, and my social life returns to normal with extra time on my hands, I feel more blessed than ever!
Exactly
Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Janelle Gallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Staggs View Post

Well said! I see too much of divorce going on in this sport because competitors let it get to their head. They don't think about the future and that one day you are going to be old and have nothing! I would never sacrifice my job, family, or relationship for this sport. I love bodybuilding but not to the extreme where your whole life goes down the toilet. I wrote a nice piece about the off-season on the promotingwomenblogspot.com about how it is a time to be human and enjoy life a little more because you are not competing. The only thing I have sacrificed competing is not going on vacation.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Betsy Albetta-Digiovanni

it is SO easy to get caught up in it all-- but i def keep a GOOD balance-- prep is prep-- just a short span and then you have to LIVE and get back to the important things-- family, husbands/wives, friends.. and LIVING.. ! besides a sick bod you dont really get much else out of it-- besides that feeling of accomplishment. it isnt worth ruining/neglecting other things in ure life
Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
NPC Bodybuiler - Jill

If you want to go places in this sport, you have to approach it like a business venture and make intelligent decisions based on your priorities. For some people. they think its ok to sacrifice literally everything. Its possible they would be miserable in their lives if they DIDN"T make those extreme choices and just stayed w/ their families. IMO poor priority mgmt. But you have to look at risk / reward and for most (i.e. 99.99%) even achieving a pro card isn't going to pay for your retirement.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
IFBB Pro - Shelly Albetta

i dont think anything is worth sacrificing family time friend time and relationships. its important to learn BALANCE and keep your life in check.

i enjoy competing but i also enjoy LIVING! eating, drinking, vacas, family time etc!

ya only live once and you def dont wanna look back and have regrets!

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 PM
IFBB Pro - Shawn Hektor

Yes there is a balance between striving for excellence and giving up everything you have.
We all want that Pro Card but how much is it REALLY worth? Just as anything else...
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?"
Matthew 16:26

I think it's important to remember those you surround yourself with have to support your goals as well. My boyfriend doesn't compete, but he trains like he does. He understands my drive and the force behind it. If you're with someone who doesn't get that, you're bound to have trouble. But if they don't get THAT about you, I'd venture to guess they don't get A LOT about you.
The same goes for your family. No one in my family has a desire to compete like I do, but they all have a desire to be healthier and little by little every single one of my family members ARE getting healthier by following my example.
That, in my opinion, should be what we all strive for. That we are LEADERS in this "fitness world" and our example will lead others to excellence too. If that focus ever veers off course, that's when we need to take a step back before we allow our drive to be the end of us.

‎"Just because you get the puppy dog with the biggest feet doesn't mean he'll grow up to be the best hunting dog," -Nick Saban

Twitter: @ShawnCarla
Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 PM
Model - Leslie

we both compete, have no children and really have no life outside of work, and working out.. But that's ok.. it works for us.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 AM
IFBB Pro - Nancy Georges

Default big sacrifice

what really sucks is I don't ever get to eat pie.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 AM

Not even the day after a contest? I allow myself a 24 hr window of opportunity the day after- whatever I want, no holds barred! Then the next day, it's back on the plan. I'd croak if I couldn't have someting sweet a couple time a year. I brake for cake!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
CBBF Bodybuilder - Coco

I have kinda sacrificed family.
My Mom doesn't get it. She doesn't agree with it. She causes shit about it. She even tried taking my daughter away from me because of it. (she played my daughter against me... saying "mom doesn't have time for you... Mom doesn't have good food at home..., Mom cares more about the gym than you." etc...) I would tell my mom what I could eat to try and still be social with her and the rest of family at family events and she would make me beef and rice... beef covered in sauce and rice smothered in cheese or butter! (they are Old Country... bringing my own food became the option even though it is deemed "insulting" to the cook)and always try to get me to have "just a small piece" of desert.
I have realised my mother's issues don't REALLY have anything to do with me... her obesedy, loneliness and insecurities are what drive her... but at the same time, those are issues which REALLY bring me down, upset me and make me angry... so I sacrifice the relationship, though its healthy for me... I still sometimes feel like a jerk of a daughter (especially whan she tells me Im a jerk of a daughter ;S)
Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Hey, Dryvrgrl,
Boy, I can sympathize THERE, Except with me , it was my ex-husband, emphasis on the ex. Everything bad in our life was because I went to the gym. He played my daughter the same way. Whenever there was an argument, the gym always came up. Thing is, I never sacrificed family time. I always went to the gym during the day, when he was working, and my daughter was in school. It was then that I realized HE was the one with issues, and the one creating the toxic atmosphere. It was difficult separating myself from that ( 4 years of hell in divorce court) but me and my daughter were better off.
I'm not saying you should separate from your Mom, but you are right in realizing she is the one with the problem, not you. You took the high road, and it's time for your Mom to start respecting the life you live.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Dennielle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnCarla View Post
Yes there is a balance between striving for excellence and giving up everything you have.
We all want that Pro Card but how much is it REALLY worth? Just as anything else...
"For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?"
Matthew 16:26

I think it's important to remember those you surround yourself with have to support your goals as well. My boyfriend doesn't compete, but he trains like he does. He understands my drive and the force behind it. If you're with someone who doesn't get that, you're bound to have trouble. But if they don't get THAT about you, I'd venture to guess they don't get A LOT about you.
The same goes for your family. No one in my family has a desire to compete like I do, but they all have a desire to be healthier and little by little every single one of my family members ARE getting healthier by following my example.
That, in my opinion, should be what we all strive for. That we are LEADERS in this "fitness world" and our example will lead others to excellence too. If that focus ever veers off course, that's when we need to take a step back before we allow our drive to be the end of us.

I loved the quote from Matthew. And it's so true. It's so much harder to stick with your goals when gym time and women with buff bodies aren't valued highly in the circle of people you know. I don't see certain friends often anymore because whether they know it or not, theyre really good at thwarting my efforts. And for a beginner, it's crucial to be supported and not give up.

As for S/O's my boyfriend is the guy who says he wants to get in shape but says he's too lazy and doesn't care enough to...but I really think he would be pleased if he got into his best shape. He still finds it annoying when I dont want to eat at certain restaurants or I want to make something to nibble on every few hours, but with patience I've noticed that he's made some changes in his food choices and he said eventhough he doesn't fully understand why I want to compete, he now supports me 100%. And for this I'm really grateful because I wouldn't give up the endless laugh sessions and love for something solely for myself.

As for family, sometimes I have to just let them do what they want and think what they think, it's no use tryingto convince people stuck on their ways. Maybe my aunt will come around and start living healthier. Maybe she'll eat breakfast this week and not just sip coffee. She doesn't understand some of my life choices, but I'm ok with that because she's not the happiest person in the world, ya know? Luckily my uncle is 110% behind it and even fronted me some money for my personal trainer certification.
My mom in florida always asks me if I did a workout today and if I'm getting bigger (I've always been such a string bean).

But above all, I'm so proud I've been able to help my best friend get motivated to lose weight even with the limited knowledge I have at this point. We're starting with opposite goals, but through this journey I can't wait to see us meet in the middle. And I'll stick that picture of us by my mirror next to the one from last year of us hysterically laughing.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:56 PM
IFBB Pro - Shawn Hektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryvrgrl View Post
I have kinda sacrificed family.
My Mom doesn't get it. She doesn't agree with it. She causes shit about it. She even tried taking my daughter away from me because of it. (she played my daughter against me... saying "mom doesn't have time for you... Mom doesn't have good food at home..., Mom cares more about the gym than you." etc...) I would tell my mom what I could eat to try and still be social with her and the rest of family at family events and she would make me beef and rice... beef covered in sauce and rice smothered in cheese or butter! (they are Old Country... bringing my own food became the option even though it is deemed "insulting" to the cook)and always try to get me to have "just a small piece" of desert.
I have realised my mother's issues don't REALLY have anything to do with me... her obesedy, loneliness and insecurities are what drive her... but at the same time, those are issues which REALLY bring me down, upset me and make me angry... so I sacrifice the relationship, though its healthy for me... I still sometimes feel like a jerk of a daughter (especially whan she tells me Im a jerk of a daughter ;S)
I think in this case you're taking the right route... you do have to stick to your principals despite what your mother is trying to do to pull you down. At some point one of you will cave and hopefully it will be her... for her own sake. Most people won't change their lifestyle until they are forced to through some sort of significant event... like a health scare.

I have a similar problem in my Dad... He's always been fit because he's a construction worker and has never really needed to eat well. My mother, over the course of three kids and many health problems, ballooned up to over 225lb on her 5'4" frame. She went on every crash diet known to man. Finally she had her knee replaced and got on the bandwagon with me eating clean and working out. She now goes to the gym 6 days a week and eats 6 meals a day, all clean, and she's lost nearly 60lbs. My dad on the other hand, still brings home junk food and eats junk food all day at work. He'll eat clean food if it's put in front of him, but then he'll go grab the ice cream to top off the meal. When I was home for 4th of July he ran to the store to get Diet Coke and came back with ice cream and bags of chips. He's honestly the only one in my entire extended family who still refuses to listen to the health concerns. Yet both of his brothers have had heart attacks and his father died of one. It's difficult... not as much for me because I'm not around it 24/7... but really hard for my mom who's trying her best to be healthy. He's hard headed but none of us will cave in to his ways... even my little brother who's 18 has stopped eating the crap he brings home... I never thought I'd see that day come!

So my point in all this is that you are doing the right thing sticking to your guns. At some point your mother is going to see what she's doing, no matter how much she doesn't want to. And god willing, she'll make a better choice for herself... and you too.

‎"Just because you get the puppy dog with the biggest feet doesn't mean he'll grow up to be the best hunting dog," -Nick Saban

Twitter: @ShawnCarla
Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
NPC Fitness Competitor - Sandra

Great thread! I've definitely sacrificed SLEEP, time with friends and family, but refused to sacrifice my career & dancing. My mom hates that I compete, and doesn't understand why I do what I do.

Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra...15579921807944