Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini News & chat about Bodybuilding, Physique, Fitness, Figure & Bikini.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 AM
Dawn

Twitter: @dawnro1101
Default First Show???

I wanted to know what organization you decided to go with on your first competition? Why did you choose it? Would you have still made the same choice today? I am going to be looking at shows for next year and wanted your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-07-2010, 08:19 PM
3x Figure Pro - Michele Welcome

Personally, I didn't focus on a particular organization for my first show; instead, I just picked a show that was local and being held during the time of year I wanted to compete and just went for it. I think it's good to try all the different organizations when you are just starting out so you can figure out what works best for you and your physique. Plus, the more times you get on stage, the more comfortable you will get If you have more questions feel free to reach out

*NEW Facebook ATHLETE PAGE!: www.facebook.com/FigureProMicheleWelcome
Visit me at www.michelewelcome.com and sign my guest book
Twitter: @MicheleWelcome
Instagram: @MicheleWelcome
Old 12-07-2010, 08:54 PM
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila

Facebook: ila.reed

I agree with Michele. I think for the first show, timing and location are probably the most important issues. A small show is also sometimes a better alternative than a big national or pro (depending on the org) qualifier. Lets you get some nerves out and the show is less hectic.

I personally started competing in OCB because that is a show that is close and timing is usually ideal (it is in the summer). I didn't start trying to travel (which is more costly) to shows til this year (my third year of competing).

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleW View Post
Personally, I didn't focus on a particular organization for my first show; instead, I just picked a show that was local and being held during the time of year I wanted to compete and just went for it. I think it's good to try all the different organizations when you are just starting out so you can figure out what works best for you and your physique. Plus, the more times you get on stage, the more comfortable you will get If you have more questions feel free to reach out

This is what my plan WAS - turns out the time I really wanted to pick my first show and most easily accessible show is the Contra Costa (early May near Sacramento) - Which is a HUGE show. Its not far from me, but i didnt realise it was the Contra Costa when i looked at dates... I was just aiming for early May late April. Theres another from a Natural Org in early June thats similarly close and one after in July.... Guess I'll see.

Back to the drawing board unless my coach is REALLY convinced I might do decently LOL!
Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

I didn't pick or was planning to compete

I just started getting asked a lot if I compete

They guy at the supp store said i should give it a try and there was a comp in March that was Nov

It was NPC plus NPC is very big in southern CA
Old 12-08-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viridian View Post
This is what my plan WAS - turns out the time I really wanted to pick my first show and most easily accessible show is the Contra Costa (early May near Sacramento) - Which is a HUGE show. Its not far from me, but i didnt realise it was the Contra Costa when i looked at dates... I was just aiming for early May late April. Theres another from a Natural Org in early June thats similarly close and one after in July.... Guess I'll see.

Back to the drawing board unless my coach is REALLY convinced I might do decently LOL!
Sounds like the Natural Org in June followed by the show in July would be a good plan for someone just starting out. I personally wouldn't do the big show right away - I say get your feet wet first. The one in June can be a trail run with the whole process so that you can make small improvements for your next show in July. It would be great if you can get a copy of the video (some orgs will have someone filming) or have a film with a pocket video camera (or whatever) so you can watch yourself and make small improvements with every show.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Trainer - Alex Azarian

I think that competing local would be wise for your first show .. if thats possible..

Personally i have always looked best close to home and it sure is much easier when you can drive to the show in the morning.. Just a suggestion..

prepbyalex@aol.com

NPC USA Champion

National Level Bodybuilder

www.facebook.com/prepbyalex

Old 12-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Dawn

Thanks everyone for your response. I live in Maryland so I am sure that I will be able to find something close to me. I do want to find a "smaller" show just so I can see what it's all about. There are so many choices out there. I guess I will research things a little bit first.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Vanessa Adams-Pierce

I did a big show my first time - I have a 'go big or go home' mentality, lol. All the NY shows are pretty big though. I went with NPC because there were more options and they were competitive.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Erin

I did an ABBA show (which is a CBBF sanctioned event and leads to IFBB eventually). Had I known better, I would have done something else.... but at this moment I wouldn't have changed it because it gave me a chance to see what I would be up against if I took the IFBB route. I knew after that show that I needed muscle.... and LOTS of it. lol.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnr1101 View Post
Thanks everyone for your response. I live in Maryland so I am sure that I will be able to find something close to me. I do want to find a "smaller" show just so I can see what it's all about. There are so many choices out there. I guess I will research things a little bit first.
And good luck to you! If you have questions along the way feel free to reach out.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

I chose OPA here in Ontario, OPA leads to CBBF which is governed by IFBB (same as ABBA in alberta as per prev post )... I chose it mainly because I have followed NPC and IFBB over the years, and I wanted to cmopete at a similar level. In Ontario we have TONS of orgs to choose from, but I personally feel like the most "serious" one is OPA. A lot of the other ones have costume or pagaent-y rounds which I didn't want to do...
Also, I picked the comp I did cause it was in the same city where I live. It was a HUGE show, one of the biggest provincial qualifiers of the year with 200+ competitors and almsot 20 in my class. But it was worth it... I feel like now that I've done a "huge" and "serious" show I am good to go.
Good luck!!!!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Dawn

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I will keep you updated with what I decide to do. You all are awesome!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC5 View Post
I chose OPA here in Ontario, OPA leads to CBBF which is governed by IFBB (same as ABBA in alberta as per prev post )... I chose it mainly because I have followed NPC and IFBB over the years, and I wanted to cmopete at a similar level. In Ontario we have TONS of orgs to choose from, but I personally feel like the most "serious" one is OPA. A lot of the other ones have costume or pagaent-y rounds which I didn't want to do...
Also, I picked the comp I did cause it was in the same city where I live. It was a HUGE show, one of the biggest provincial qualifiers of the year with 200+ competitors and almsot 20 in my class. But it was worth it... I feel like now that I've done a "huge" and "serious" show I am good to go.
Good luck!!!!
You guys are lucky in Ontario because you do have a lot of choices. I agree on the costume/evening wear rounds. BRUTAL!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
NPC Fitness Competitor - Ashley

My first show I did an snbf natural show. I didn't feel I was big enough to do npc and wasn't totally ready to do a full fitness routine. The great thing about doing that show is I was able to do a 45 second "themewear" routine. Most girls just walked around in their outfits but I used it as a chance do a routne and get a feel for if I coulds do it or not. I've actually competed with 3 girls from that show this past year on the npc stage. Of course I did fitness and they did figure but for me it was a good experience. But on the other hand I kinda wish I would have just tried npc first even if it was figure my first year then switch to fitness once I was ready. It really depends on your goals too. Where do you want to take this? If you want to be an ifbb pro then do npc, if you want to be a pro in aother division, do that one. hope i helped

2011 Suit Sponsorship by Amy Ardizzone
www.suitsbyamy.com
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMina View Post
My first show I did an snbf natural show. I didn't feel I was big enough to do npc and wasn't totally ready to do a full fitness routine. The great thing about doing that show is I was able to do a 45 second "themewear" routine. Most girls just walked around in their outfits but I used it as a chance do a routne and get a feel for if I coulds do it or not. I've actually competed with 3 girls from that show this past year on the npc stage. Of course I did fitness and they did figure but for me it was a good experience. But on the other hand I kinda wish I would have just tried npc first even if it was figure my first year then switch to fitness once I was ready. It really depends on your goals too. Where do you want to take this? If you want to be an ifbb pro then do npc, if you want to be a pro in aother division, do that one. hope i helped
In reality you can compete in any other organization and still do NPC eventually if you want to be a pro. Doing another org isn't going to prevent you from doing that. I've done OCB regularly and NPC and other than a few minor things, they are identical as far as figure is concerned. Even bodybuilding. Now if you wanted to do fitness..then ok (at least with OCB, as they don't have a fitness as it is in NPC)… but doing figure, in particular, you can do whatever org as your first show and keep doing them mixed in with NPC..it hurts nothing.

It only becomes an issue if you go pro in another org and then decide to compete in that pro organization…and even then, lots of people still do NPC

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
In reality you can compete in any other organization and still do NPC eventually if you want to be a pro. Doing another org isn't going to prevent you from doing that. I've done OCB regularly and NPC and other than a few minor things, they are identical as far as figure is concerned. Even bodybuilding. Now if you wanted to do fitness..then ok (at least with OCB, as they don't have a fitness as it is in NPC)… but doing figure, in particular, you can do whatever org as your first show and keep doing them mixed in with NPC..it hurts nothing.

It only becomes an issue if you go pro in another org and then decide to compete in that pro organization…and even then, lots of people still do NPC
My point was that I don't see the point in spending money on doing shows in an organization that I ultimately knew I did not want to go pro in. That's all I was saying.

www.suitsbyamy.com
Old 12-10-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
My point was that I don't see the point in spending money on doing shows in an organization that I ultimately knew I did not want to go pro in. That's all I was saying.
At the local level, it is all experience. And for a first show, it matters little. Of course if you are at a point where you feel you are capable of going pro and want to proceed in that direction. Sure. But for a first show it matters little. And the more times you step on stage the better you become.

Personally I'd love to become a pro in IFBB, but if my local OCB show is convenient for me and I can do it. I totally will. Until I'm an IFBB pro..I will step on stage no matter whose it is.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
At the local level, it is all experience. And for a first show, it matters little. Of course if you are at a point where you feel you are capable of going pro and want to proceed in that direction. Sure. But for a first show it matters little. And the more times you step on stage the better you become.

Personally I'd love to become a pro in IFBB, but if my local OCB show is convenient for me and I can do it. I totally will. Until I'm an IFBB pro..I will step on stage no matter whose it is.
That's your choice and I'm not knocking it girl! I'm just voicing my opinion and experiences like you did yours. Personally I'd rather give as much face time to NPC judges as possible. I'm ready to chase my pro card and didn't compete until I ready to see if I could. I'm also not a fan of doing shows to just do them when you know where you want to go and for me trhat means only npc and no local shows unless I have to re-qualify. The goal for me in a local show is national qualification. Once I have that, why go back. Its too much on my body and bank account to go back and forth BUT for a first show, whatever the girl prefers. I was just sharing what I did, my goals and how I felt after.

www.suitsbyamy.com
Old 12-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
That's your choice and I'm not knocking it girl! I'm just voicing my opinion and experiences like you did yours. Personally I'd rather give as much face time to NPC judges as possible. I'm ready to chase my pro card and didn't compete until I ready to see if I could. I'm also not a fan of doing shows to just do them when you know where you want to go and for me trhat means only npc and no local shows unless I have to re-qualify. The goal for me in a local show is national qualification. Once I have that, why go back. Its too much on my body and bank account to go back and forth BUT for a first show, whatever the girl prefers. I was just sharing what I did, my goals and how I felt after.

It's all good I like competing which is why I said I'd do the local one if it was convenient, and I like them too for getting the jitters out. My goal right now is Nationals too!