Siouxcountry.com


Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > CHAT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CHAT

View Poll Results: Do you log/track cals and other macros?
No 10 19.61%
Yes, online only 22 43.14%
Yes, online and phone 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Becca Staggs's Avatar
Becca Staggs Becca Staggs is offline
Moderator
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Mitten, USA
Twitter: BeccaStaggs
Posts: 9,063
Default Calorie Tracking Apps: FatSecret

Please vote in poll even if you do not comment.

Hey Gang,
Just wondering how many of you girls here use a calorie counter/tracking system. I never used to until this past May, and it's actually worked great for me. I even tracked when I wasn't dieting, and I think seeing the macros this off-season helped me keep things in check.

I know there are a lot of them out there, but here's one I've found that seems pretty awesome. It's free, too. I've created foods that weren't in there, and there's a free app for your blackberry, Droid, and iPhone and it can sync with the onilne entries. I typically do it online b/c it's faster but when I'm away from the computer I can still add entries. I love it.

Ok, so I'm a little late in learning this - but I found out yesterday that even the FREE VERSION FatSecret app for iPhone and Droid both have scanning capabilities!! WTF!
I'm jealous. I have a blackberry and it cannot scan anything. #FAIL

Yes, scanning. As in, you eat a greek yogurt and you scan the barcode with your phone, and it has the info in there and plugs it into your day, even the portion size is in there correctly just based off the barcode!! I DID NOT KNOW! I need a Droid or an iPhone...

One of my friends told me just yesterday she scanned an apple (those little barcode stickers on each apple) and it generated the info for an average apple. Less percise on fruit maybe, but still...how cool is that?

www.fatsecret.com

You can track any nutritional value that you want, plus excercise, sleep, calories burned when 'resting' (not sleeping or working out) etc. It also makes it simple to add foods that you use frequently. (A HUGE PLUS FOR US!! LOL)
__________________

Last edited by Becca Staggs : 04-12-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 AM
SheWulf's Avatar
SheWulf SheWulf is offline
NPC Figure Competitor - Michelle
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 230
Default

I use fitday. It's also free, but I liked it so much I bought the paid version.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 AM
erikacheer's Avatar
erikacheer erikacheer is offline
NPC Bikini Competitor - Erika
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 572
Default

I sometimes use my daily plate at livestrong -- they have a lot of foods catalogued -- even my addiction: a mocha shake at Lifetime Fitness. I'll have to check out the fatsecret site to compare......

The link to livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Jodi_Lane Jodi_Lane is offline
Suit Maker - Jodi Lane
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Staggs View Post
Hey Gang,
Just wondering how many of you girls here use a calorie counter/tracking system. I never used to until this past May, and it's actually worked great for me. I even tracked when I wasn't dieting, and I think seeing the macros this off-season helped me keep things in check.

I know there are a lot of them out there, but here's one I've found that seems pretty awesome. It's free, too. I've created foods that weren't in there, and there's a free app for your blackberry and iPhone and it can sync with the onilne entries. I typically do it online b/c it's faster but when I'm away from the computer I can still add entries. I love it.

www.fatsecret.com

You can track any nutritional value that you want, plus excercise, sleep, calories burned when 'resting' (not sleeping or working out) etc. It also makes it simple to add foods that you use frequently. (A HUGE PLUS FOR US!! LOL)

Please vote.
Thanks for the link Becca! I use a similar one called MyFitnessPal and it does the same thing with facebook and twitter. I actually was looking for others to see if it's actually the best or not and I wanted to have some friends who are using the same as me, I'll check into this!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Scarl3tbutt3rfly's Avatar
Scarl3tbutt3rfly Scarl3tbutt3rfly is offline
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Facebook: ila.reed
Posts: 5,322
Default

I use Tap and Track..which is an app on the iphone. It has a ton of catalogued foods, restaurants etc. And you can enter any amount of grams you want for everything. Add you own foods, etc.

I also use fitday on my computer
__________________
THE GYM IS MY PLAYGROUND!!

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Becca Staggs's Avatar
Becca Staggs Becca Staggs is offline
Moderator
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Mitten, USA
Twitter: BeccaStaggs
Posts: 9,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
I use Tap and Track..which is an app on the iphone. It has a ton of catalogued foods, restaurants etc. And you can enter any amount of grams you want for everything. Add you own foods, etc.

I also use fitday on my computer
Thanks. Adding your own grams sounds good. I like that mine is on the computer and syncs (wirelessly) with my phone so they're always current. I probably wouldn't maintain 2 separate ones b/c i am lazy. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi_Lane View Post
Thanks for the link Becca! I use a similar one called MyFitnessPal and it does the same thing with facebook and twitter. I actually was looking for others to see if it's actually the best or not and I wanted to have some friends who are using the same as me, I'll check into this!!!
Fatsecret can connect to FB too, but I've never tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikacheer View Post
I sometimes use my daily plate at livestrong -- they have a lot of foods catalogued -- even my addiction: a mocha shake at Lifetime Fitness. I'll have to check out the fatsecret site to compare......

The link to livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
Thanks for the link. I've created foods and found some foods in FatSecret that I was actually surprised to see. The option to create a food and share it with others is key. I eat a lot of organic baked goods from a local restaurant (stuffed sandwhiches/gluten free with meat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWulf View Post
I use fitday. It's also free, but I liked it so much I bought the paid version.
I've heard of a lot of people that love fitday too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
TanyaB's Avatar
TanyaB TanyaB is offline
NPC Figure Competitor - Tanya
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oceanside, CA
Twitter: Fit_Tanya
Posts: 1,857
Default

I use Sparkpeople - mostly on the computer but I do use the iPhone app as well, especially if I am going off plan and want to log something before I "forget"
__________________
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Vince Lombardi

My SC Journal
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
dvsness's Avatar
dvsness dvsness is offline
NPC Bodybuilder - Vanessa Adams-Pierce
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 7,820
Default

I use Fitday and online only. Since I use it for planning and don't track things as they come, a phone app isn't really important to me.
__________________
-------
Sponsored by Aggressive Nutrition,
Fit Wear Designs and Makeup by SweetCapri

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Scarl3tbutt3rfly's Avatar
Scarl3tbutt3rfly Scarl3tbutt3rfly is offline
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Facebook: ila.reed
Posts: 5,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
I use Fitday and online only. Since I use it for planning and don't track things as they come, a phone app isn't really important to me.
Yeah only use them for planning. And don't really enter stuff everyday. Or I use just to check a portion size on something.
__________________
THE GYM IS MY PLAYGROUND!!

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
VictoriaFigure's Avatar
VictoriaFigure VictoriaFigure is offline
NPC Figure Competitor - Victoria
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Alabama
Twitter: victoriahamm
Posts: 144
Default

I use FatSecret as well. I love the variety of foods already stored. I only use it on my Blackberry.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter!
www.twitter.com/VictoriaHamm

Check out my journal!
www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?p=419029&posted=1#post419029
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Becca Staggs's Avatar
Becca Staggs Becca Staggs is offline
Moderator
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Mitten, USA
Twitter: BeccaStaggs
Posts: 9,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaFigure View Post
I use FatSecret as well. I love the variety of foods already stored. I only use it on my Blackberry.
I use it on my blackberry too, but only when I'm not at the computer. It's a lot faster on the site online...and you can view a lot more foods in one shot. I do like it on the blackberry too though. TONS OF FOODS STORED!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
ripitupbaby's Avatar
ripitupbaby ripitupbaby is offline
Moderator
IFBB Pro - Lori Steele
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 5,304
Default

I do it the old-fashioned way... with a big notebook that I carry around in my cooler when I'm dieting.
__________________
Team Siouxcountry!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
pmbpro's Avatar
pmbpro pmbpro is offline
Paula
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 483
Default

Not sure how to vote, as I don't do it online and not on my phone. I use just an app only, on an iPod Touch and have "Nutrition Menu" on it. You can see screen grabs and description of all the features here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nutri...294692235?mt=8

I especially like that I do not have to be online, or have an "account" to use it.

**
That said, I do also have my own overall "main" Excel database of all my foods categorized in the different food groups; condiments and supplements too. Each item/row has its volume (in tsp, tbsp, quantity, wt), then calories, fats, protein, carbs (in grams).

For my actual meal plans, I made a duplicate template and just copy/paste the specific foods I want from the "main" database and all the macro totals are automatically added up at the bottom (and their percentages too). I can add/delete or and substitute foods for each meal on the fly and see the daily totals instantly when planning meals ahead of time and then stick on my fridge. It's so easy to cut/paste the foods I want to eat and see them add up.

I also print my Excel meal plans out and use as a "grocery list".
__________________
~pmb~
------------------------------
PMB Images

Fitness Photography

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." ~ Confucius
"If you never get scared if you never lay it on the line you never get a shot at all the credit or all the blame."
~ Kate Jackson, 1978
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Pookers Pookers is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6
Default

myfitnesspal.com It also syncs with my ipad which makes it convenient and easy to use.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Becca Staggs's Avatar
Becca Staggs Becca Staggs is offline
Moderator
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Mitten, USA
Twitter: BeccaStaggs
Posts: 9,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbpro View Post
Not sure how to vote, as I don't do it online and not on my phone. I use just an app only, on an iPod Touch and have "Nutrition Menu" on it. You can see screen grabs and description of all the features here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nutri...294692235?mt=8

I especially like that I do not have to be online, or have an "account" to use it.

**
That said, I do also have my own overall "main" Excel database of all my foods categorized in the different food groups; condiments and supplements too. Each item/row has its volume (in tsp, tbsp, quantity, wt), then calories, fats, protein, carbs (in grams).

For my actual meal plans, I made a duplicate template and just copy/paste the specific foods I want from the "main" database and all the macro totals are automatically added up at the bottom (and their percentages too). I can add/delete or and substitute foods for each meal on the fly and see the daily totals instantly when planning meals ahead of time and then stick on my fridge. It's so easy to cut/paste the foods I want to eat and see them add up.

I also print my Excel meal plans out and use as a "grocery list".
WOW!! You are super organized!! But too much work for my lazy ass. I like simple. I enter 99% of mine online, but just tell it to 'sync' with the blackberry app so I can view it on my phone throughout the day (OR enter stuff if I'm on the road). I wish I had an iphone sometimes, but I hate HATE touchscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookers View Post
myfitnesspal.com It also syncs with my ipad which makes it convenient and easy to use.
A lot like FatSecret. ^^
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
ripitupbaby's Avatar
ripitupbaby ripitupbaby is offline
Moderator
IFBB Pro - Lori Steele
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 5,304
Default

OK I'm gonna have to try one of these!
__________________
Team Siouxcountry!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
jewelofnile69's Avatar
jewelofnile69 jewelofnile69 is offline
Recovered Competitor - Julia
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12
Posts: 5,957
Default

I actually only track on my phone (not online) but I picked the 3rd choice. I use 'Lose It' for iPhone.
__________________
"The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes along their way."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
lita lita is offline
Felita
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
I use Tap and Track..which is an app on the iphone. It has a ton of catalogued foods, restaurants etc. And you can enter any amount of grams you want for everything. Add you own foods, etc.

I also use fitday on my computer
After reading this thread, I just realized that fitday has an app on the iPhone. I've been using fitday for years. If you are already using it on your computer, you can sync it with your phone.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Maeg13's Avatar
Maeg13 Maeg13 is offline
NPC Figure Competitor - Maegan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi_Lane View Post
Thanks for the link Becca! I use a similar one called MyFitnessPal and it does the same thing with facebook and twitter. I actually was looking for others to see if it's actually the best or not and I wanted to have some friends who are using the same as me, I'll check into this!!!
I use MyFitnessPal as well...find me!

MissMaegan
__________________
MissFit Personal Training
www.MissFit-PT.com

Official Gaspari Nutrition
www.GaspariNutrition.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Suzanne's Avatar
Suzanne Suzanne is online now
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: How Bad Do You Want It!! Do You Belive!
Posts: 8,794
Default

I don't really track I pretty much eat the same thing daily anyway but i do through my info in when i get a new plan.

Actually just got done putting in my starting plan for USAs but aggravated that daily plate doesn't have 1/3s or let you pick it is whole serving or increments of 1/4 and i have cream of rice 5 tbl but it only has as 1/4c
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:50 AM.

...

Moderators

Becca Staggs
......Website
LaurenFazio
......Website
MrsFluffyBunny
Ripitupbaby
......Website

Forum Moderators

....

Administrators

JasonLannigan


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.