Siouxcountry.com

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > CHAT
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CHAT

View Poll Results: Do you log/track cals and other macros?
No 10 19.61%
Yes, online only 22 43.14%
Yes, online and phone 19 37.25%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2011, 01:47 AM
IFBB Reject - Rebecca Staggs

Twitter: BeccaStaggs
Default Calorie Tracking Apps: FatSecret

Please vote in poll even if you do not comment.

Hey Gang,
Just wondering how many of you girls here use a calorie counter/tracking system. I never used to until this past May, and it's actually worked great for me. I even tracked when I wasn't dieting, and I think seeing the macros this off-season helped me keep things in check.

I know there are a lot of them out there, but here's one I've found that seems pretty awesome. It's free, too. I've created foods that weren't in there, and there's a free app for your blackberry, Droid, and iPhone and it can sync with the onilne entries. I typically do it online b/c it's faster but when I'm away from the computer I can still add entries. I love it.

Ok, so I'm a little late in learning this - but I found out yesterday that even the FREE VERSION FatSecret app for iPhone and Droid both have scanning capabilities!! WTF!
I'm jealous. I have a blackberry and it cannot scan anything. #FAIL

Yes, scanning. As in, you eat a greek yogurt and you scan the barcode with your phone, and it has the info in there and plugs it into your day, even the portion size is in there correctly just based off the barcode!! I DID NOT KNOW! I need a Droid or an iPhone...

One of my friends told me just yesterday she scanned an apple (those little barcode stickers on each apple) and it generated the info for an average apple. Less percise on fruit maybe, but still...how cool is that?

www.fatsecret.com

You can track any nutritional value that you want, plus excercise, sleep, calories burned when 'resting' (not sleeping or working out) etc. It also makes it simple to add foods that you use frequently. (A HUGE PLUS FOR US!! LOL)

Last edited by Becca Staggs : 04-12-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-02-2011, 02:33 AM
NPC Figure Competitor - Michelle

I use fitday. It's also free, but I liked it so much I bought the paid version.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 AM
NPC Bikini Competitor - Erika

I sometimes use my daily plate at livestrong -- they have a lot of foods catalogued -- even my addiction: a mocha shake at Lifetime Fitness. I'll have to check out the fatsecret site to compare......

The link to livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Suit Maker - Jodi Lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Staggs View Post
Hey Gang,
Just wondering how many of you girls here use a calorie counter/tracking system. I never used to until this past May, and it's actually worked great for me. I even tracked when I wasn't dieting, and I think seeing the macros this off-season helped me keep things in check.

I know there are a lot of them out there, but here's one I've found that seems pretty awesome. It's free, too. I've created foods that weren't in there, and there's a free app for your blackberry and iPhone and it can sync with the onilne entries. I typically do it online b/c it's faster but when I'm away from the computer I can still add entries. I love it.

www.fatsecret.com

You can track any nutritional value that you want, plus excercise, sleep, calories burned when 'resting' (not sleeping or working out) etc. It also makes it simple to add foods that you use frequently. (A HUGE PLUS FOR US!! LOL)

Please vote.
Thanks for the link Becca! I use a similar one called MyFitnessPal and it does the same thing with facebook and twitter. I actually was looking for others to see if it's actually the best or not and I wanted to have some friends who are using the same as me, I'll check into this!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila

Facebook: ila.reed

I use Tap and Track..which is an app on the iphone. It has a ton of catalogued foods, restaurants etc. And you can enter any amount of grams you want for everything. Add you own foods, etc.

I also use fitday on my computer

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Old 01-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post
I use Tap and Track..which is an app on the iphone. It has a ton of catalogued foods, restaurants etc. And you can enter any amount of grams you want for everything. Add you own foods, etc.

Thanks. Adding your own grams sounds good. I like that mine is on the computer and syncs (wirelessly) with my phone so they're always current. I probably wouldn't maintain 2 separate ones b/c i am lazy. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi_Lane View Post
Thanks for the link Becca! I use a similar one called MyFitnessPal and it does the same thing with facebook and twitter. I actually was looking for others to see if it's actually the best or not and I wanted to have some friends who are using the same as me, I'll check into this!!!
Fatsecret can connect to FB too, but I've never tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikacheer View Post
I sometimes use my daily plate at livestrong -- they have a lot of foods catalogued -- even my addiction: a mocha shake at Lifetime Fitness. I'll have to check out the fatsecret site to compare......

The link to livestrong:

http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
Thanks for the link. I've created foods and found some foods in FatSecret that I was actually surprised to see. The option to create a food and share it with others is key. I eat a lot of organic baked goods from a local restaurant (stuffed sandwhiches/gluten free with meat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWulf View Post
I use fitday. It's also free, but I liked it so much I bought the paid version.
I've heard of a lot of people that love fitday too.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Tanya

Twitter: Fit_Tanya

I use Sparkpeople - mostly on the computer but I do use the iPhone app as well, especially if I am going off plan and want to log something before I "forget"
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Vince Lombardi

My SC Journal
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Vanessa Adams-Pierce

I use Fitday and online only. Since I use it for planning and don't track things as they come, a phone app isn't really important to me.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
NPC Physique Competitor- Ila

Facebook: ila.reed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsness View Post
I use Fitday and online only. Since I use it for planning and don't track things as they come, a phone app isn't really important to me.
Yeah only use them for planning. And don't really enter stuff everyday. Or I use just to check a portion size on something.

‎"If you don't have confidence, you'll always find a way not to win." ~Carl Lewis
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Victoria

Twitter: victoriahamm

I use FatSecret as well. I love the variety of foods already stored. I only use it on my Blackberry.

Check out my journal!
www.siouxcountry.com/showthread.php?p=419029&posted=1#post419029
Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaFigure View Post
I use FatSecret as well. I love the variety of foods already stored. I only use it on my Blackberry.
I use it on my blackberry too, but only when I'm not at the computer. It's a lot faster on the site online...and you can view a lot more foods in one shot. I do like it on the blackberry too though. TONS OF FOODS STORED!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:51 PM
IFBB Pro - Lori Steele

I do it the old-fashioned way... with a big notebook that I carry around in my cooler when I'm dieting.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Paula

Not sure how to vote, as I don't do it online and not on my phone. I use just an app only, on an iPod Touch and have "Nutrition Menu" on it. You can see screen grabs and description of all the features here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nutri...294692235?mt=8

I especially like that I do not have to be online, or have an "account" to use it.

That said, I do also have my own overall "main" Excel database of all my foods categorized in the different food groups; condiments and supplements too. Each item/row has its volume (in tsp, tbsp, quantity, wt), then calories, fats, protein, carbs (in grams).

For my actual meal plans, I made a duplicate template and just copy/paste the specific foods I want from the "main" database and all the macro totals are automatically added up at the bottom (and their percentages too). I can add/delete or and substitute foods for each meal on the fly and see the daily totals instantly when planning meals ahead of time and then stick on my fridge. It's so easy to cut/paste the foods I want to eat and see them add up.

I also print my Excel meal plans out and use as a "grocery list".

Fitness Photography

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
~ Henry J. Kaiser
"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." ~ Confucius
"If you never get scared if you never lay it on the line you never get a shot at all the credit or all the blame."
~ Kate Jackson, 1978
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

myfitnesspal.com It also syncs with my ipad which makes it convenient and easy to use.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbpro View Post
Not sure how to vote, as I don't do it online and not on my phone. I use just an app only, on an iPod Touch and have "Nutrition Menu" on it. You can see screen grabs and description of all the features here:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/nutri...294692235?mt=8

I especially like that I do not have to be online, or have an "account" to use it.

That said, I do also have my own overall "main" Excel database of all my foods categorized in the different food groups; condiments and supplements too. Each item/row has its volume (in tsp, tbsp, quantity, wt), then calories, fats, protein, carbs (in grams).

For my actual meal plans, I made a duplicate template and just copy/paste the specific foods I want from the "main" database and all the macro totals are automatically added up at the bottom (and their percentages too). I can add/delete or and substitute foods for each meal on the fly and see the daily totals instantly when planning meals ahead of time and then stick on my fridge. It's so easy to cut/paste the foods I want to eat and see them add up.

I also print my Excel meal plans out and use as a "grocery list".
WOW!! You are super organized!! But too much work for my lazy ass. I like simple. I enter 99% of mine online, but just tell it to 'sync' with the blackberry app so I can view it on my phone throughout the day (OR enter stuff if I'm on the road). I wish I had an iphone sometimes, but I hate HATE touchscreen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookers View Post
myfitnesspal.com It also syncs with my ipad which makes it convenient and easy to use.
A lot like FatSecret. ^^
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
IFBB Pro - Lori Steele

OK I'm gonna have to try one of these!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Recovered Competitor - Julia

Facebook: Jewelofnile
Twitter: jewelofnile12

I actually only track on my phone (not online) but I picked the 3rd choice. I use 'Lose It' for iPhone.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Felita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarl3tbutt3rfly View Post

After reading this thread, I just realized that fitday has an app on the iPhone. I've been using fitday for years. If you are already using it on your computer, you can sync it with your phone.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Maegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi_Lane View Post
I use MyFitnessPal as well...find me!

MissMaegan

Official Gaspari Nutrition
www.GaspariNutrition.com
Old 04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
NPC Bodybuilder - Suzanne Germano

I don't really track I pretty much eat the same thing daily anyway but i do through my info in when i get a new plan.

Actually just got done putting in my starting plan for USAs but aggravated that daily plate doesn't have 1/3s or let you pick it is whole serving or increments of 1/4 and i have cream of rice 5 tbl but it only has as 1/4c