Siouxcountry.com

---

Go Back   Siouxcountry.com > Discussion > Chat & Introduction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chat & Introduction We chat about everything, and anything. Stop on in and introduce yourself.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Kelly

Facebook: Kelly Yonkers
Default Gallbladder

Has anyone here had their gallbladder out? I'm concerned about what it's going to mean to my ability to lose weight. I have read people complaining on the web that they have gained weight post gallbladder removal. Coming from the average person that does not mean much, but if someone here has experience I would love to hear about it.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

bump

I have no idea girl, hopefulyl someone can help...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Jenny

No previous experience but found a few studies for ya.

One, really old study

Quote:
In spite of symptoms such as anorexia, nausea, and vomiting and advice to avoid fatty foods, 31% of our patients were overweight before operation, confirming the preoperative findings of others.2 3 Our study showed that a significant weight gain occurred after cholecystectomy,withmen gainingamean of4-6% ofpreoperative body weight and women 3 3% after six months. When patients who either lost weight or remained the same weight were excluded the mean percentage weight gain rose to 6' and 6 6%, respectively. We presumethatthisweightgainwascausedbyareintroductio nof fats into the diet, although a metabolic cause cannot be completely excluded. As one third of our patients were already overweight, any furtherweightgaincouldbeconsideredtobedetrimentalt otheir long term health. We now routinely inform patients undergoing cholecystectomy that they are likely to gain weight after operation and advise them accordingly.
and a relatively newer one
Quote:
Forty-two patients and 42 controls were studied. The mean age of the patients was 55 years (range 29-82) versus 54 years (25-82) for controls. Patients undergoing LC increased their mean BMI by 1.8 kg/m2. Females were particularly likely to gain weight (mean change in BMI=+2.1), with no significant difference being found between premenopausal and postmenopausal women. Of the 24 LC patients who claimed to continue their low fat diet, the mean BMI changed from 27.6 to 29.6 kg/m2. The mean BMI of the 17 people who claimed regular exercise changed less markedly (+1.4) than those who admitted infrequent exercise (+2.1).

CONCLUSION:
Selection for LC may identify patients at risk of continuing or resumed aetiological contributors to obesity. Follow-up long after the surgery may therefore be necessary to facilitate additional healthcare interventions.
From what I know most of the SIGNIFICANT weight gain would be from the reintroduction of fats into your diet. Maybe supplementing with bile salts would help break down fats.. but honestly most of the people gaining significant weight were either overweight before or have started a bad, unhealthy fatty diet versus healthy fats. Just my opinion though, if anyone has real life experience feel free to share. Hope it works out!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
CBBF Bikini Competitor - Lauren Fazio
AMAZEBALLS!

Twitter: LaurenFazio
Instagram: laurenlfazio

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_klimek View Post

One, really old study

From what I know most of the SIGNIFICANT weight gain would be from the reintroduction of fats into your diet. Maybe supplementing with bile salts would help break down fats.. but honestly most of the people gaining significant weight were either overweight before or have started a bad, unhealthy fatty diet versus healthy fats. Just my opinion though, if anyone has real life experience feel free to share. Hope it works out!

Nurse Jen saves the day!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_klimek

One, really old study

Thank You!!
I so hope it's not a sick gallbladder
Old 10-06-2011, 10:56 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

I have no gallbladder and sphincter of oddi disorder. I did not gain any weight. Maybe some people do but I haven't. But again I'm a BB so my diet isn't what normal people pack down on a daily basis.

However I do have dumping syndrome so it may or may not be affecting my ability to absorb nutrients and but I can't really measure it. I just take Welchol when I'm going to eat something that is going to make me dump and I"m pretty much okay.

I too saw all those people that suddenly ballooned up to 400 pounds after gallbladder surgery when they totally eat healthy and exercise all the time. I personally think its bunk and there is more than they are telling or they were already overweight and their metabolism is ruined and their bodies couldn't react well to the surgery or they had other health problems or they are still eating like poop and NOT exercising.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Model - Leslie

My Boyfriend had his out, so did my best friend (girl) It seems to affect the sexes differently...

BF: Had to watch fats and do a gall bladder friendly diet. He is now dieting for a show and has not had any problems.

Best Friend girl: She still has to follow a gluten free diet, not sure if this is because of the gallbladder.. and she has had trouble losing weight.. but she is also menopausal..

Not sure if this helped...
Old 10-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyhasmuscle View Post
I too saw all those people that suddenly ballooned up to 400 pounds after gallbladder surgery when they totally eat healthy and exercise all the time. I personally think its bunk and there is more than they are telling or they were already overweight and their metabolism is ruined and their bodies couldn't react well to the surgery or they had other health problems or they are still eating like poop and NOT exercising.
I have a feeling also that it may be an excuse that people use to not deal with life. Life hands us a deck of cards and we play what we are dealt. We can make the best of it or complain. That is why I was asking people that actually know about nutrition and exercise and not the general "diet forum"

Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lann1011
My Boyfriend had his out, so did my best friend (girl) It seems to affect the sexes differently...

BF: Had to watch fats and do a gall bladder friendly diet. He is now dieting for a show and has not had any problems.

Best Friend girl: She still has to follow a gluten free diet, not sure if this is because of the gallbladder.. and she has had trouble losing weight.. but she is also menopausal..

Not sure if this helped...
Its another data point thanks for telling me what you know.
Kelly
Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Michelle

My boyfriend has his removed years ago. He can lose weight when he wants to and just keeps his fat intake on the low-moderate side.

The only thing I've noticed... if we eat a high fat meal like pizza or something, I am hungry and few hours later and he is full for the rest of the evening. Not that it's really a big deal.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM
NPC Figure Competitor - Kathy

I had mine out in 2008 (worst pain ever....crawled on the floor in my pj's to my car and drove straight to the ER) and I've been competing since....no problem with weight gain at all!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:56 AM
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfit View Post
I had mine out in 2008 (worst pain ever....crawled on the floor in my pj's to my car and drove straight to the ER) and I've been competing since....no problem with weight gain at all!
Yeah!!! Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWulf
The only thing I've noticed... if we eat a high fat meal like pizza or something, I am hungry and few hours later and he is full for the rest of the evening. Not that it's really a big deal.
That would not be so bad to have...better then wanting more pizza an hour later
Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 AM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWulf View Post
My boyfriend has his removed years ago. He can lose weight when he wants to and just keeps his fat intake on the low-moderate side.

If I eat a high fat meal I'm running to the toilet! In and out for realz. I'm one of the unlucky few that got Dumping Syndrome from having a my GB out.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:46 AM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

Quote:
I've wanted to kill myself in the midst of a gallbladder attack. The pain is indescribable, and mine would last all day.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Kelly

Quote:
I've wanted to kill myself in the midst of a gallbladder attack. The pain is indescribable, and mine would last all day.
I have to say mine are not that bad. But it is a repeating issues. Its usually around an hour or so after I eat - anything - and its a stabbing/burning up under my right rib cage.

I have never had stones anytime I get flairs...maybe sludge. Or related to my thyroid...who knows. Its not horrid, I may choose to manage it until it gets bad- bad.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The pain is horrid...it was a few days until they found out what was wrong (I didn't have stones, my GB just stopped functioning, so I had to have many tests first). I compared the pain to laying on a plank with a rope across my belly that had cars attached to both ends that would hang down so all the weight was on me. I barely made it through the days while they tested.

I have never had stones anytime I get flairs...maybe sludge. Or related to my thyroid...who knows. Its not horrid, I may choose to manage it until it gets bad- bad.[/quote]

Have them do a hida scan if you think its GB malfunction....this could save you alot of pain in the future....
Old 10-08-2011, 12:51 PM

The pain is horrid...it was a few days until they found out what was wrong (I didn't have stones, my GB just stopped functioning, so I had to have many tests first). I compared the pain to laying on a plank with a rope across my belly that had cars attached to both ends that would hang down so all the weight was on me. I barely made it through the days while they tested.

Have them do a hida scan if you think its GB malfunction....this could save you alot of pain in the future...
Old 10-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfit

Have them do a hida scan if you think its GB malfunction....this could save you alot of pain in the future...
I had a hyda scan last time I had a flair. I wanted to die during that. I was sick for four days after that and they still said it was working as it should. I make sure I told my dr about that too.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

I would try to explain it as getting shanked over and over again with butter knife while it was on fire and coated in battery acid, while getting run over by cars and have a steady heart attack *L*. My hyda scan said my GB was working at 4% which is basically 0%. It had to come out. I was fine for a year or so then after that they found out I had another biliary disorder called Sphincter of Oddi disorder so while I was having GB attacks I was also having this other attack that backwashed bile and enzymes back into my pancreas and liver and cause inflammation. Unfortunately this disorder is practically incurable and can only be managed.

I would say if your attacks aren't that bad don't have it out. Mine was causing anxiety and I would have panic attacks if even a gas bubble popped in my stomach "Oh no here it comes!". I was constantly going to the ER just for pain relief, missed a lot of work, missed events, would go through periods being scared of food and for years no one thought it was GB/Biliary related because my symptoms atypical for GB attacks. The range of explanations were, your crazy, you have gastroenteritis, its just GERD, your having a heart attacks, your having muscle spasms of the gut, etc. Then some genius said, "Well you've had just about every test in the world known to man except your gall bladder. Oh wow look, your gallbladder is basically dead in there".

I've been dealing with this since I was about 5 and just got it all figured out in the last year and 6 months. LOL. I'm 32!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuteminem View Post
I had a hyda scan last time I had a flair. I wanted to die during that. I was sick for four days after that and they still said it was working as it should. I make sure I told my dr about that too.
Really? I hope you find out what's causing you pain and find relief soon!

Quote:
I would try to explain it as getting shanked over and over again with butter knife while it was on fire and coated in battery acid, while getting run over by cars and have a steady heart attack *L*. My hyda scan said my GB was working at 4% which is basically 0%. It had to come out. I was fine for a year or so then after that they found out I had another biliary disorder called Sphincter of Oddi disorder so while I was having GB attacks I was also having this other attack that backwashed bile and enzymes back into my pancreas and liver and cause inflammation. Unfortunately this disorder is practically incurable and can only be managed.

I would say if your attacks aren't that bad don't have it out. Mine was causing anxiety and I would have panic attacks if even a gas bubble popped in my stomach "Oh no here it comes!". I was constantly going to the ER just for pain relief, missed a lot of work, missed events, would go through periods being scared of food and for years no one thought it was GB/Biliary related because my symptoms atypical for GB attacks. The range of explanations were, your crazy, you have gastroenteritis, its just GERD, your having a heart attacks, your having muscle spasms of the gut, etc. Then some genius said, "Well you've had just about every test in the world known to man except your gall bladder. Oh wow look, your gallbladder is basically dead in there".

I've been dealing with this since I was about 5 and just got it all figured out in the last year and 6 months. LOL. I'm 32!
Poor girl...Some people just have all the luck, huh? I also have another unrelated issue called gastroparesis....the vagus nerve that causes the stomach to contract and push the food through does not function. Its really hard to get and maintain muscle with this (plus I look like I'm pregnant while its bad). I have good days and bad days but I'm thankful that I don't have to have the "box" put in. My friend has a "pace-maker box" in her midsection (that is very visible through the skin) that keeps her stomach functioning.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:49 AM
SNBF Pro - Zakia Vazquez

Quote:
Really? I hope you find out what's causing you pain and find relief soon!

Poor girl...Some people just have all the luck, huh? I also have another unrelated issue called gastroparesis....the vagus nerve that causes the stomach to contract and push the food through does not function. Its really hard to get and maintain muscle with this (plus I look like I'm pregnant while its bad). I have good days and bad days but I'm thankful that I don't have to have the "box" put in. My friend has a "pace-maker box" in her midsection (that is very visible through the skin) that keeps her stomach functioning.
I was also tested for Gastroparesis, they thought my food wasn't moving. I had a barium swallow with x-ray for that.